Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98801 May 14, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Do tell. What stack of bound paper invokes this reaction from the masses?
It is The Women's Room by Marilyn French. It is a Feminist grouch session, catalog of he-done me-wrong, poor me's from 1977 that typifies male bashing. The thing that made me angry when I read it in roughly 78, not long after it came out , was that none of the blasted females in that book took any blanking responsibility for anything that happened to them. It was all the fault of men and circumstances and society's oppression, etc.

I was in grad school. I had just turned single. I was just figuring out how to be self supporting and the problems that entailed. I should have been the target audience and it made me frigging furious. I finished the book and threw it across the room. That felt good, real good at the time, equally good in retrospect.

Anybody who has grouched about Feminism with a capital F could point to that book and justifiably say ,Told you so. It could well be the proto-canonical writing for The Red Pill BS ( which aggravates me just as much as Feminism with a capital F).

I never throw out books. I donate them or sell them at HalfPrice Books. There have been 2 exceptions; The Women's Room and The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty by A. N. Roquelaure (aka Anne Rice) which grossed me out and that is saying a lot.

/End of rant/

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#98805 May 15, 2014

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#98806 May 15, 2014

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#98807 May 15, 2014
WTF is up with Firefox and bookmarks? It must have updated, and now I can't bookmark stuff. Grrrr!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#98808 May 15, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
WTF is up with Firefox and bookmarks? It must have updated, and now I can't bookmark stuff. Grrrr!
I had so many pop-ups and Bing forcing it's way on....My wife spent a half hour cleaning stuff....I think Topix has a lot of cookies and stuff....Also, i need to sign in and out more often....

Hollywood, FL

#98809 May 15, 2014

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98810 May 15, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I had so many pop-ups and Bing forcing it's way on....My wife spent a half hour cleaning stuff....I think Topix has a lot of cookies and stuff....Also, i need to sign in and out more often....
CCCleaner.com is free and cleans everything. You will need to log into all your sites afterward but the cr*p will be gone.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#98811 May 15, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
CCCleaner.com is free and cleans everything. You will need to log into all your sites afterward but the cr*p will be gone.
Thanks so much....was almost at the point of calling Geek Squad...lol....

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#98812 May 15, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
They just released v29. it changed so much, although I didn't notice a bookmark problem. I went back to v28 and restored back to that, then turned off automatic updates. Got really perturbed at the new version. It took the weather forecaster away that I had on an add on bar on the bottom. Everything came back the way I had it.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-...

Hollywood, FL

#98813 May 15, 2014
greenwichvillage wrote:
<quoted text>
They just released v29. it changed so much, although I didn't notice a bookmark problem. I went back to v28 and restored back to that, then turned off automatic updates. Got really perturbed at the new version. It took the weather forecaster away that I had on an add on bar on the bottom. Everything came back the way I had it.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-...
The bookmark thing might be operator error on my part. Sigh.

Thanks for the link. I may downgrade if I get frustrated enough.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98814 May 15, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
The bookmark thing might be operator error on my part. Sigh.
Thanks for the link. I may downgrade if I get frustrated enough.
I don't understand Firefox or what it is.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98815 May 15, 2014
It's the web browser thats better than IE
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>

“Where is Tonka?”

#98816 May 15, 2014
I have had no problems since I turned off flash player. Seeing some of those adds out of the corner of my eye was giving me headaches.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks so much....was almost at the point of calling Geek Squad...lol....

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#98817 May 15, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a web browser. Did your spaceship just arrive from planet Clueless yesterday?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98818 May 15, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Microsoft makes Internet Explorer
Mozilla makes Firefox
Google makes Chrome

They are all web browsers, where Windows is an operating system for PC's

They all fill the same function.
Internet Explorer tends to be slower and probably because it is a MS product has been targeted by hackers more than eh others.
Firefox and Chrome are free

I use Firefox and I am pretty satisfied. I am also not at all tech savvy. Ignore Dog on this, he's being snooty and you asked a straightforward question.

Just Google the names and the intro pages and set up will appear. Your bookmarks and favorites will be automatically transferred from one to another if you choose to download. You can take it off your computer and go back if you don't like it.

My computer came with IE and I still have it on so there is room for 2 browsers on most computers

All will work on a PC. Apple has its own operating system and web browser

“Where is Tonka?”

#98819 May 15, 2014
Ha! I am stealing this.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Did your spaceship just arrive from planet Clueless yesterday?

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98821 May 15, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Microsoft makes Internet Explorer
Mozilla makes Firefox
Google makes Chrome
They are all web browsers, where Windows is an operating system for PC's
They all fill the same function.
Internet Explorer tends to be slower and probably because it is a MS product has been targeted by hackers more than eh others.
Firefox and Chrome are free
I use Firefox and I am pretty satisfied. I am also not at all tech savvy. Ignore Dog on this, he's being snooty and you asked a straightforward question.
Just Google the names and the intro pages and set up will appear. Your bookmarks and favorites will be automatically transferred from one to another if you choose to download. You can take it off your computer and go back if you don't like it.
My computer came with IE and I still have it on so there is room for 2 browsers on most computers
All will work on a PC. Apple has its own operating system and web browser
Thank you! I heard about Firefox when it came out (here, I think), but then when I went to upload it it looked strange and I am always wary of stuff like that so I didn't do it. My IE is really slow at home. I wonder if I should change then. Then should I keep IE and just use the others. And will it screw up my computer.

I am on the computer all day at work without a break, so I don't go on the laptop too much when I am home so I don't really stay up on things. I have IT guys at work to handle my stuff here!

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98822 May 15, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a web browser. Did your spaceship just arrive from planet Clueless yesterday?
Pbbbbbt!!!! I use what they give me at work and forgot what FF was since i rarely use my computer at home. My life isn't the internet! So, pbbbbbbt.:-)

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98824 May 15, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Says the guy who, until recently, was clueless on how to save a photo from favebook.
ScarletandOlive

Maplewood, NJ

#98825 May 15, 2014
Darn, let's try to get around the censors again...

Replace glassbowls with the profanity that it rhymes with (thank you Carolyn Hax) and write out the whole last word (dbags is just an abbreviation)

http://www.mandatory.com/2013/03/25/glassbowl...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min mdbuilder 1,744,800
last post wins! (Dec '10) 22 min They cannot kill ... 3,265
last post wins! (Apr '13) 24 min They cannot kill ... 2,838
ms 13 27 min DEAD SERIOUS 7
Narcississtic Pissant Teens Wanna Ban the AR-15 3 hr Libertarian 16
Jonny's Towing is Chicagoland's Most Crooked Co... (Feb '17) 3 hr Libertarian 141
Chicago has the Worst Women (Jun '16) 3 hr Libertarian 163

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages