Topix Chitown Regulars

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#98779 May 14, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>nice.
By the way, here is a major benefit TO ME in using a tablet instead of a paper book or newspaper. Lighting. If I am trying to sit in a comfortable lounging position, like the lazy boy recliner or laying back on the couch, there is no direct light hitting the pages i am trying to read. My gaze is angled up at the page that is angled down. Before I got a tablet, I had considered getting some sort of clip on light that would attach to the bill of my hat and therefore aim right at whatever i ws reading. No need for that now.
I have a tiny little reading light that when clipped onto the top of a book does not really light up all of the page properly and I have been known to clip the thing to my hair, over my right ear. Works perfectly then!

And I can hear you thinking "Why doesn't she just get a tablet?" Well, I have a Kindle, but it crapped out on me after 6 months and it wasn't backlit anyway, so I just kinda gave up on it. All the stuff I've been reading lately has been stuff I already own, so even if the thing worked I wouldn't buy the book again.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Melrose Park, IL

#98780 May 14, 2014
Toj wrote:
I saw this news article. It's Fox News so I'm not sure if it's true.:) BUT, if so, Russia has it's panties in a bunch and lashed out on something they probably shouldn't have. I seem to remember they need the U.S. to bring supplies to the station. This will get more dicey, I imagine, before it gets resolved.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/05/13/russi...
This is just gonna lead to another cold war a Republican will have to bail us out of again. Or it could just go nuclear, and there's a part of me that thinks that might be a better option....

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98781 May 14, 2014
RACE wrote:
In Tonka speak you mean
You copied/pasted all the books and put them in your phone for later retrival. Oh, and of course you mean DOWNLOAD the books right? Not to actually buy the physical book.
<quoted text>
LOL - Like I said earlier, my kid prefers a real book to her Kindle. I have a Nook, which is fine in certain conditions, but does NOT work too well for outdoor reading, so that kinda stinks.

Evanston IL

#98783 May 14, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Love the potty hole, too. I'm a bit partial to the Barbie pool, though. I think that took more imagination to think it up.
I also like the Barbie pool.

But toilets are heavy, so the set-up for that one really took some effort; not so much with the Barbie's.
:D

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98784 May 14, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>nice.
By the way, here is a major benefit TO ME in using a tablet instead of a paper book or newspaper. Lighting. If I am trying to sit in a comfortable lounging position, like the lazy boy recliner or laying back on the couch, there is no direct light hitting the pages i am trying to read. My gaze is angled up at the page that is angled down. Before I got a tablet, I had considered getting some sort of clip on light that would attach to the bill of my hat and therefore aim right at whatever i ws reading. No need for that now.
First world problem.

OTOH my book never needs to be recharged and if it is hurled across the room for some reason, needs only to have its pages smoothed, not repaired or replaced.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98785 May 14, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Should we tell tonka about that newest invention called a lamp?
Nope. Don't spoil it for him.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98786 May 14, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just gonna lead to another cold war a Republican will have to bail us out of again. Or it could just go nuclear, and there's a part of me that thinks that might be a better option....
No but it could turn into a Cuba style situation where there are vocal opponents, government sanctions and quiet erosion of the sanctions

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#98787 May 14, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I also like the Barbie pool.
But toilets are heavy, so the set-up for that one really took some effort; not so much with the Barbie's.
:D
They really messed up not having a slide, too. And where is the sunglasses? Or maybe there were sunglasses.
Zap Brannigan

United States

#98788 May 14, 2014
Other way around. Since we retired the space shuttle, we need THEM to get astronauts and supplies to and from the space station.
Toj wrote:
I saw this news article. It's Fox

News so I'm not sure if it's true.:) BUT, if so, Russia has it's panties in a bunch and lashed out on something they probably shouldn't have. I seem to remember they need the U.S. to bring supplies to the station. This will get more dicey, I imagine, before it gets resolved.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/05/13/russi...

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98789 May 14, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Should we tell tonka about that newest invention called a lamp?
the way my living room furniture is, there is no place for a lamp

Evanston IL

#98790 May 14, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
They really messed up not having a slide, too. And where is the sunglasses? Or maybe there were sunglasses.
I don't think there were any sunglasses...

Now I'm going to have to think up something funny. I have lots of small toys, I should be able to come up with *something*.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98791 May 14, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
First world problem.
OTOH my book never needs to be recharged and if it is hurled across the room for some reason, needs only to have its pages smoothed, not repaired or replaced.
If you have books being hurled across the room, I suggest you've got more pressing problems to deal with than optimal reading light.

And of course its a first world problem. I live in the first world and live a relatively problem free life. I see squishy had the same problem and ended up with the same solution i was considering once. Not asking for anyone to shed tears, just giving a practical reason why *I* enjoy reading from a tablet more than paper

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98792 May 14, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>If you have books being hurled across the room, I suggest you've got more pressing problems to deal with than optimal reading light.
And of course its a first world problem. I live in the first world and live a relatively problem free life. I see squishy had the same problem and ended up with the same solution i was considering once. Not asking for anyone to shed tears, just giving a practical reason why *I* enjoy reading from a tablet more than paper
I read in bed and stuff falls on the hardwood floor with some frequency.

I have been known to gt frustrated or angry at something I am reading and throw it down; it has been a long time since I actually hurled a book, though I can remember one example in particular

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98793 May 14, 2014
Let me guess...
The Joy of Sex...

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
it has been a long time since I actually hurled a book, though I can remember one example in particular

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98794 May 14, 2014
My heating system has gone kerpluie. I have been home today dealing with guys who came to give estimates (arrived on time TYVM) and then trying to comparison shop. I am frustrated and have resorted to calling a contractor who I know does not work in my suburb to see if I can get some unbiased information.

Argh!

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98795 May 14, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, books are a great choice for you. I, on the other hand, can assure you, I've never dropped my tablet or laptop. I am very aware to make sure I don't leave them in precarious positions.
PEllen wrote:
I have been known to gt frustrated or angry at something I am reading and throw it down; it has been a long time since I actually hurled a book, though I can remember one example in particular
Perhaps you should consult a professional to help you work though your rage issues before you turn violent on a loved one

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98796 May 14, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then, books are a great choice for you. I, on the other hand, can assure you, I've never dropped my tablet or laptop. I am very aware to make sure I don't leave them in precarious positions.
<quoted text>Perhaps you should consult a professional to help you work though your rage issues before you turn violent on a loved one
Let me share with you how I feel about that...

I didn't throw it at someone. I just threw it. Just thinking about that damn book still makes my blood boil. I am pleased to know that whole swathes of the population quite possibly would agree with me.

Evanston IL

#98797 May 14, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
The only book I ever threw was Salem's Lot because it scared the cr@p outta me. Luckily for the furniture, it was a paperback.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98798 May 14, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me share with you how I feel about that...
I didn't throw it at someone. I just threw it. Just thinking about that damn book still makes my blood boil. I am pleased to know that whole swathes of the population quite possibly would agree with me.
Do tell. What stack of bound paper invokes this reaction from the masses?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#98800 May 14, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think there were any sunglasses...
Now I'm going to have to think up something funny. I have lots of small toys, I should be able to come up with *something*.
They sell them for the doll -- but I don't think they're Mattel.

Mattel does have a scuba outfit, though.

Have that fish game? Can't remember what's it's called.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump is A 2 min Retired SOF 596
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min Nostrils Waxman 1,745,635
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 39 min SweLL GirL 12,224
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 55 min Black Ice 72,074
What are the best adult dating sites in Chicago ? 1 hr Big Gay Al 5
News Shooting victim's funeral in Evanston erupts in... (Mar '08) 10 hr GANG banger whoop... 81
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 10 hr Nice guy 2,573

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages