“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98705 May 12, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/u-childr en-read-not-well-often-report- 041325597.html

" Although American children still spend part of their days reading, they are spending less time doing it for pleasure than decades ago, with significant gaps in proficiency, according to a report released on Monday...."

"The report found that the percentage of nine-year-old children reading for pleasure once or more per week had dropped from 81 percent in 1984 to 76 percent in 2013, based on government studies. There were even larger decreases among older children...."

Unless they include comic books in the 1984 statistic, I call BS. I don't for a second believe that 81 percent of 9 year old kids were reading that often for pleasure.
Does that include magazines? My kids love their magazines (Highlights, Ranger Rick Jr., Ask, Boys Life, etc.).

There are some awesome book series for 9 year olds out now. It is a shame that more parents don't take their kids to the library.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#98706 May 12, 2014
This is just an outrage. More proof that freedom of speech is gone. Now he's banned until he is reprogrammed to think the way we want him to. You can bet that if some conservative company banned someone for not thinking like them, the left would be screaming. But this is totally acceptable. If I were Jones, I would refuse to apologize, saying I'm entitled to my opinion, and I definitely wouldn't participate in their "sensitivity" training (as if they have a thing or two to learn about tolerance)... And would likely sue them for discrimination. People must start standing up for such persecution or it will only get worse

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking...

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98707 May 12, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
This is just an outrage. More proof that freedom of speech is gone. Now he's banned until he is reprogrammed to think the way we want him to. You can bet that if some conservative company banned someone for not thinking like them, the left would be screaming. But this is totally acceptable. If I were Jones, I would refuse to apologize, saying I'm entitled to my opinion, and I definitely wouldn't participate in their "sensitivity" training (as if they have a thing or two to learn about tolerance)... And would likely sue them for discrimination. People must start standing up for such persecution or it will only get worse

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking...
When a current NFL player is tweeting about football related stuff during the NFL draft, he is not a private citizen exercising his right to free speech but a representative of his employer. I'm sure that there are things you are not supposed to say publicly about either other employees in your company or your competitors.

The first amendment guarantees that you have the right to free speech (he is not being arrested for stating his opinions), not that you are protected from the consequences of those words in your private life.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98708 May 12, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
When a current NFL player is tweeting about football related stuff during the NFL draft, he is not a private citizen exercising his right to free speech but a representative of his employer. I'm sure that there are things you are not supposed to say publicly about either other employees in your company or your competitors.
The first amendment guarantees that you have the right to free speech (he is not being arrested for stating his opinions), not that you are protected from the consequences of those words in your private life.
Nicely put. Have an up vote.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98709 May 12, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean edog's employer would have a problem with him publicly voicing his displeasure with a new employee kissing his boyfriend.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#98710 May 12, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
If a personal twitter comment on your own time earns you a ban for the company you work for, would you support the same action for a comment you DON'T agree with? If the owner of Chick-a-fil fired an employee for stating hizzer opinion supporting gay marriage, would you have the same opinion?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#98711 May 12, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> Nicely put. Have an up vote.
I think it's horribly put and I'm giving her a down vote just to counter your up vote. And I love Scarlet. See, I can tolerate people who don't agree with me.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98712 May 12, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
If a personal twitter comment on your own time earns you a ban for the company you work for, would you support the same action for a comment you DON'T agree with? If the owner of Chick-a-fil fired an employee for stating hizzer opinion supporting gay marriage, would you have the same opinion?
You mean like the liberal CFO Adam Smith who was fired from HIS company(Vante?) after he posted a video of himself berating a Chick-Fil-a employee for working for that company? I don't recall much outrage among liberals. More like, dude, you're a dumbass and this is what happens to dumbasses.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98713 May 12, 2014
Here's the video and story.

http://www.businessinsider.com/vante-cfo-bull...

Vante fired his ass. He was not filming that video on company time or representing himself as a Vante employee, but he is a public face of the company and he made this tirade public.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#98714 May 13, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#98715 May 13, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>You mean like the liberal CFO Adam Smith who was fired from HIS company(Vante?) after he posted a video of himself berating a Chick-Fil-a employee for working for that company? I don't recall much outrage among liberals. More like, dude, you're a dumbass and this is what happens to dumbasses.
Didn't hear about that story. Wonder why. Surely it's not because it casts a liberal in a negative light. No wonder the state-run MSM was all over it

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98716 May 13, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that include magazines? My kids love their magazines (Highlights, Ranger Rick Jr., Ask, Boys Life, etc.).
There are some awesome book series for 9 year olds out now. It is a shame that more parents don't take their kids to the library.
My kid is an avid reader. Always has been. There are several great series. Sh'es read Surviors, Wolves of the Beyond, etc. My problem is that she'll go to the library, but she would rather buy the books for her own library (she currently has almost 500 books and she logs them and lends them out and such). Thankfully, she gets a lot of book store gift cards on special occassions!!!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98717 May 13, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My kid is an avid reader. Always has been. There are several great series. Sh'es read Surviors, Wolves of the Beyond, etc. My problem is that she'll go to the library, but she would rather buy the books for her own library (she currently has almost 500 books and she logs them and lends them out and such). Thankfully, she gets a lot of book store gift cards on special occassions!!!
We have been empty nesters for 6 years now and have the accumulated books of 2 girls who were avid readers. On one side is the voice that says clear them out, let some City school library get them. On the other side is the voice that says this is the stuff you save for hypothetical future grandkids.

On the book shelf in each girl's bedroom is my proud badge mollifying all working mom guilt. I sat in line to get tickets so they could meet JK Rowling and each get autographed copies of one of the HP books

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98718 May 13, 2014
Did she read the Animorphs? I never got to finish them because my daughter lost interest in them. Prolly because the beginning of every book started out the same, it got tiresome.
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98719 May 13, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
We have been empty nesters for 6 years now and have the accumulated books of 2 girls who were avid readers. On one side is the voice that says clear them out, let some City school library get them. On the other side is the voice that says this is the stuff you save for hypothetical future grandkids.
On the book shelf in each girl's bedroom is my proud badge mollifying all working mom guilt. I sat in line to get tickets so they could meet JK Rowling and each get autographed copies of one of the HP books
That is SO COOL!!! I say hold onto them and see what happens. You can always pack them away, too. My 11 year old is "old school", too. She has a Kindle but would rather red a real book. I got it for her to lighten her backpack load, but she just likes the "real" books! Can't say I blame her.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98720 May 13, 2014
RACE wrote:
Did she read the Animorphs? I never got to finish them because my daughter lost interest in them. Prolly because the beginning of every book started out the same, it got tiresome.
<quoted text>
No. I'll loook it up, though! You can still read them, you know! My mom was lamenting how my daughter doesn't watch Scooby Doo anymore so now SHE can't watch them. I told her she can watch them onher own, but she won't!:-)

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#98721 May 13, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I saved many of my favorites and am looking forward to the girls reading them. But they're not quite ready for Judy Blume and Little House on the Prairie - perhaps by the end of next school year.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98722 May 13, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I saved many of my favorites and am looking forward to the girls reading them. But they're not quite ready for Judy Blume and Little House on the Prairie - perhaps by the end of next school year.
At about your eldest's age, the birthday gift to to almost everyone was a hardback copy of Sarah, Plain and Tall

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98723 May 13, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text> At about your eldest's age, the birthday gift to to almost everyone was a hardback copy of Sarah, Plain and Tall
My daughter had to read a historical fiction book in school (about which she complained to the high heavens). She ended up LOVING it and is totally hooked on historical fiction now (and some true historical stuff, too). I never thought of Little House on teh Prairie as squishy mentioned, though she did like the show.

She might like some Judy Blume.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#98724 May 13, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
My daughter had to read a historical fiction book in school (about which she complained to the high heavens). She ended up LOVING it and is totally hooked on historical fiction now (and some true historical stuff, too). I never thought of Little House on teh Prairie as squishy mentioned, though she did like the show.
She might like some Judy Blume.
She might like Island of the Blue Dolphins. Also historical fiction. I have already bought it for the girls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Nuculur option 1,207,505
Word (Dec '08) 4 min Red_Forman 5,155
Amy 3-30-15 6 min Sublime1 38
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 min Red_Forman 5,823
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 10 min boundary painter 824
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 15 min Brian_G 51,888
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 15 min boundary painter 1,169
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]