Topix Chitown Regulars

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98727 May 13, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>My daughter had to read a historical fiction book in school (about which she complained to the high heavens). She ended up LOVING it and is totally hooked on historical fiction now (and some true historical stuff, too). I never thought of Little House on teh Prairie as squishy mentioned, though she did like the show.

She might like some Judy Blume.
Does she read the American Girl books?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98729 May 13, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
That is one of my favorites! Also like My Side of the Mountain and Julie of the Wolves.
Ry is going to do a book report on From The Mixed-Up Files Of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, so I am surprising him this Friday with a trip to the metropolitan museum of art (I know that the exhibits have changed, but the magic is still there).
I loved that book

You know of course what you have to make for lunch for that trip, don't you?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98730 May 13, 2014
Wicklow wrote:
<quoted text>The Anne of Green Gables series is another good one.
Yes!

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98731 May 13, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I loved that book

You know of course what you have to make for lunch for that trip, don't you?
???

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#98732 May 13, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Get the boxed sett of Little House.
It happens to be a pretty accurate rendition of prairie frontier life especially as to cooking and food sourcing and prep..
If she likes reading with you, try John Steinbeck's Travels with Charlie. My little one was able to read most words in the first few chapters when she was in 2nd grade. It was an enormous confidence booster for her to be able to read a grown up book that had not been simplified for kids.
Its an interesting book too.
the step after Little House is Anne of Green Gables.... i got my BFF's daughter the whole set over a couple years, and she loved them.

sigh, this saturday she graduates from HS as an A student and member of National Honor Society. i can't help but think that giving her books for years helped plant a seed of success...

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#98734 May 13, 2014
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
the step after Little House is Anne of Green Gables.... i got my BFF's daughter the whole set over a couple years, and she loved them.
sigh, this saturday she graduates from HS as an A student and member of National Honor Society. i can't help but think that giving her books for years helped plant a seed of success...
I have no doubt that it did.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98735 May 13, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
???
You haven't read the book.

Spoiler alert.

Bologna sandwich. Don't tell Ry in advance. Let him figure out what at Great Mom you are when he is done with the book.

(I like mine on Wonder bread with Miracle Whip.Don't hate me)

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98736 May 14, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>You haven't read the book.

Spoiler alert.

Bologna sandwich. Don't tell Ry in advance. Let him figure out what at Great Mom you are when he is done with the book.

(I like mine on Wonder bread with Miracle Whip.Don't hate me)
I have read the book, I just didn't know where you were going with that. I was wondering if you were going to tell me where to find an automat in 2014.:)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#98737 May 14, 2014
Ugh, enough about kids books already

Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T25ICO2OEN...

Screw Abby, it's just a plug for her "cookbooklets"

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98738 May 14, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
Ugh, enough about kids books already

Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T25ICO2OEN...

Screw Abby, it's just a plug for her "cookbooklets"
Did you have any favorite books when you were younger? Were you into comic books (DC or Marvel?) or did you prefer just playing video games? What was the first gaming system you ever owned?

I loved playing Night Stalker on my Intellivision. Never had an Atari, though. Skipped right to Nintendo.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98739 May 14, 2014
Jack London and Edgar Allen Poe.
Also read My Side of the Mountain. I seriously considered trying something like that, but there was no suitable forest nearby.
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you have any favorite books when you were younger? Were you into comic books (DC or Marvel?) or did you prefer just playing video games? What was the first gaming system you ever owned?
I loved playing Night Stalker on my Intellivision. Never had an Atari, though. Skipped right to Nintendo.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98740 May 14, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you have any favorite books when you were younger? Were you into comic books (DC or Marvel?) or did you prefer just playing video games? What was the first gaming system you ever owned?
I loved playing Night Stalker on my Intellivision. Never had an Atari, though. Skipped right to Nintendo.
I used to read Archie comics. I don't think I ever read a book for personal enjoyment until after I got out of college. And that was during a time of no cable tv and unemployment.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98741 May 14, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Jack London and Edgar Allen Poe.
Also read My Side of the Mountain. I seriously considered trying something like that, but there was no suitable forest nearby.
I love camping and a big part of that is from reading My Side of the Mountain. Just for a couple of days, I can get lost in the idea of being removed from all the stress and responsibilities of modern living.

I'm taking Ry on his first Cub Scout camp out at the end of this month (thankfully, moms are still allowed to go at this age, since my husband does not enjoy camping at all).

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Melrose Park, IL

#98742 May 14, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you have any favorite books when you were younger? Were you into comic books (DC or Marvel?) or did you prefer just playing video games? What was the first gaming system you ever owned?
I loved playing Night Stalker on my Intellivision. Never had an Atari, though. Skipped right to Nintendo.
Are you writing a book? ;p
Wasn't into reading as a kid. First gaming system was Atari. As I grew older, my desire to play video games waned and desire to read grew

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98743 May 14, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I used to read Archie comics. I don't think I ever read a book for personal enjoyment until after I got out of college. And that was during a time of no cable tv and unemployment.
Were you outside a lot as a kid or did you prefer video games?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98744 May 14, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Are you writing a book? ;p
Wasn't into reading as a kid. First gaming system was Atari. As I grew older, my desire to play video games waned and desire to read grew
Nope, just trying to facilitate non-controversial conversation :)

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98745 May 14, 2014
Yes she is. She is an inet shrink on a govt grant to study unknown peeps on message boards. It's all done under NSA guidelines for identifying terrorists and teabaggers.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you writing a book? ;p

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98746 May 14, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you outside a lot as a kid or did you prefer video games?
Different at different stages. But I've never been into games enough to fit the description: gamer.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98747 May 14, 2014
ha, terrorists and teabaggers....Thats gonna throw up a red flag somewhere!

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98748 May 14, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>Yes she is. She is an inet shrink on a govt grant to study unknown peeps on message boards. It's all done under NSA guidelines for identifying terrorists and teabaggers.
Shhhh! You are not supposed to give away my secret identity. Thank goodness you didn't let it slip that I'm really a big, hairy, sweaty man who lives in my mom's basement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min flack 1,704,733
TEACHER of year at FL. middle school posts mess... 5 min Rose of Tralee 6
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 31 min TinFoilHatGuy 243,315
Florida shooter is White Nationalist scum 45 min White n Proud 11
Men that wear panties 1 hr Float UR Boat 2
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr They cannot kill ... 11,951
Word (Dec '08) 9 hr RACE 6,921

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages