“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98518 May 5, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Omg, I was hoping that this was an Onion article, but no... Some people's stupidity amazes me. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4873706/...
Eh, she won't last long.

However, what is the real reason Condy Rice chose not to speak at Rutgers? She can't be afraid of protesters after all this time.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#98519 May 5, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Omg, I was hoping that this was an Onion article, but no... Some people's stupidity amazes me. http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4873706/...
She looks alot like the big and hot Redhead on, Mad Men.....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98520 May 5, 2014
Pippa wrote:
<quoted text>
One of my nephews had difficulty with math. My sister blamed it on one of his teachers who was a first year teacher and didn't know diddly about teaching. Other parents also complained. The teacher ended up selling real estate. I guess he was good enough at real estate math. But, when my nephew went to college, they tested him and said he had a learning disability in regard to math. The explanation was probably more detailed but that's the only part I heard from my sister. Anyway, despite this math disability, he's now a professor of Sociology at a great university and has authored numerous books on his subject. It would appear being supremely good a math is not necessarily a necessity for success in life. ;-) Just don't tell the kids.
Pippa- I have a request.
When you are posting longer things can you break it up into paragraphs,please? I have trouble tracking "wall of text" stuff.
Thanks

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98521 May 5, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
That's tough.
Maybe in the fall I'll suggest that our Bible study group do a study on short, obscure books of the Bible, just to help us remember that they're there.
:)
My minister did Malachi not long ago. I think that's a good idea! But you should make sure everyone can spell them right!:-)

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98522 May 5, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, that's expecting too much, IMO.
Seriously!!! I think it's impressive enough to get a bunch of 10 and 11 year olds to be able to name them!!! I was SHOCKED when she came home with an 88!!!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#98523 May 5, 2014
Great, First she gets bashed for what she posts, Now your bashing her for How she posts.
Cut the girl some slack!

<runs!>
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Pippa- I have a request.
When you are posting longer things can you break it up into paragraphs,please? I have trouble tracking "wall of text" stuff.
Thanks

Neda, stay with me!

#98524 May 5, 2014
I would double check the teacher. It would be funny if you could bag them on a misspelling.
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously!!! I think it's impressive enough to get a bunch of 10 and 11 year olds to be able to name them!!! I was SHOCKED when she came home with an 88!!!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98525 May 5, 2014
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
oh awesome! Thanks!!!
I have run into a physical anthro' question on another forum and I would prefer to get an informed response, so I thought of you.

The original question was about personal hygiene of men in ancient societies based on the amount of body hair. The comparison was between Vikings ( using a photo of a gift shop statue with the horned helmet), Persians ( using a bas relief showing tightly curled beard from 6th c BC from the Persopolis, http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-... ) and Chinese showing something probably from the terracotta warrior group.

My question is whether male facial or body hair is associated with other visual markers customarily associated with "race" and which authoritative source is available on line.

I took anthro in the late 60's;I recall long bearded Ainu's but that they were not considered racially Oriental/Asian at that time. I know thinking has changed since then . An on-line search got lots of hits about "My significant other is Chinese, and..." and Lance Ito's beard.

Help if you can.

Thanks

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98526 May 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
Great, First she gets bashed for what she posts, Now your bashing her for How she posts.
Cut the girl some slack!
<runs!>
<quoted text>
Making a request for formatting is hardly bashing. You should run.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98528 May 5, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
I'm going to have nightmares for a week...
ScarletandOlive

Iselin, NJ

#98529 May 5, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh, she won't last long.
However, what is the real reason Condy Rice chose not to speak at Rutgers? She can't be afraid of protesters after all this time.
Commencement is supposed to be about the graduates, not the speaker. She is a former professor and provost at Stanford, so she understands this better than most. It wasn't the students as much as the professors who are protesting to the university and the media the loudest. Plus, she has no ties to RU. I bet she wouldn't have stepped down as readily at her alma mater.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98530 May 5, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Commencement is supposed to be about the graduates, not the speaker. She is a former professor and provost at Stanford, so she understands this better than most. It wasn't the students as much as the professors who are protesting to the university and the media the loudest. Plus, she has no ties to RU. I bet she wouldn't have stepped down as readily at her alma mater.
A lot of schools which should know that make a big publicity splash over who they have snagged to speak at commencement. I am surprised Rice accepted in the first place but even more so that someplace like RU invited her.

Any idea what her speaking fee would have been?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98531 May 5, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of schools which should know that make a big publicity splash over who they have snagged to speak at commencement. I am surprised Rice accepted in the first place but even more so that someplace like RU invited her.

Any idea what her speaking fee would have been?
$35,000 and an honorary doctorate

Neda, stay with me!

#98532 May 5, 2014
I would tell these kids to pound sand. If you are hungry, eat. If not then shut up. No whining allowed.

Neda, stay with me!

#98533 May 5, 2014

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98535 May 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
I would tell these kids to pound sand. If you are hungry, eat. If not then shut up. No whining allowed.
The food is really disgusting anymore and the athletes aren't getting enough calories to play. Also, I can see offering lots of options, but not requiring that the kids take food that they are just going to throw away.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98536 May 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
I would double check the teacher. It would be funny if you could bag them on a misspelling.
<quoted text>
This is a shocking secret, but teachers make huan errors. Tell no one.
I actually encourage my kids to put out errors. I know how to spell, of course, but sometimes I type too fast and miss something stupid on a slide. It's nice for kids to see that we're not perfect, and I am a big believer in learning from errors and not fearing failure.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98537 May 5, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The food is really disgusting anymore and the athletes aren't getting enough calories to play. Also, I can see offering lots of options, but not requiring that the kids take food that they are just going to throw away.
I was about to say roughly the same thing. Offering healthy choices is good. Limiting the number of unhealthy choices a student can have is not a terrible idea either. But REQUIRING they take a certain class of food when they don't want it? Stupid. You can't force people to eat what they don't want. I can say with certainty, I would have just thrown it away, just like today's kids. I NEVER had a salad in my life until deep into college and that was only because friends and I ate at a place that brought out a big giant salad for the whole table.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98538 May 5, 2014
http://www.kgw.com/news/Woman-Man-took-pictur...

Shock. Horror. A woman with a low cut blouse out in public suffered the indignity of someone snapping a picture of her cleavage. Then you have morons on the comment board referring to her as a victim and comparing it to rape.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98539 May 5, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://www.kgw.com/news/Woman- Man-took-picture-of-cleavage-o n-MAX-257758071.html

Shock. Horror. A woman with a low cut blouse out in public suffered the indignity of someone snapping a picture of her cleavage. Then you have morons on the comment board referring to her as a victim and comparing it to rape.
When you go out in public, you have no expectation of privacy. He wasn't trying to take a picture of anything that was hidden from view. I think she, and many of the commenters, are overreacting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min John Galt 1,109,691
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min LRS 178,023
Amy 9-17-14 10 min ralph 14
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 40 min ward 49,810
Dear Abby 9-17-14 42 min Sublime1 13
Amy 9-14-14 44 min Mister Tonka 7
Nuns hold prayer vigil outside suburban strip club 45 min rev Dave 7
Amy 9-16 2 hr Mister Tonka 49
•••
•••