Topix Chitown Regulars

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98531 May 5, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of schools which should know that make a big publicity splash over who they have snagged to speak at commencement. I am surprised Rice accepted in the first place but even more so that someplace like RU invited her.

Any idea what her speaking fee would have been?
$35,000 and an honorary doctorate

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98532 May 5, 2014
I would tell these kids to pound sand. If you are hungry, eat. If not then shut up. No whining allowed.

#98533 May 5, 2014

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98535 May 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
I would tell these kids to pound sand. If you are hungry, eat. If not then shut up. No whining allowed.
The food is really disgusting anymore and the athletes aren't getting enough calories to play. Also, I can see offering lots of options, but not requiring that the kids take food that they are just going to throw away.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98536 May 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
I would double check the teacher. It would be funny if you could bag them on a misspelling.
<quoted text>
This is a shocking secret, but teachers make huan errors. Tell no one.
I actually encourage my kids to put out errors. I know how to spell, of course, but sometimes I type too fast and miss something stupid on a slide. It's nice for kids to see that we're not perfect, and I am a big believer in learning from errors and not fearing failure.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98537 May 5, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The food is really disgusting anymore and the athletes aren't getting enough calories to play. Also, I can see offering lots of options, but not requiring that the kids take food that they are just going to throw away.
I was about to say roughly the same thing. Offering healthy choices is good. Limiting the number of unhealthy choices a student can have is not a terrible idea either. But REQUIRING they take a certain class of food when they don't want it? Stupid. You can't force people to eat what they don't want. I can say with certainty, I would have just thrown it away, just like today's kids. I NEVER had a salad in my life until deep into college and that was only because friends and I ate at a place that brought out a big giant salad for the whole table.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98538 May 5, 2014
http://www.kgw.com/news/Woman-Man-took-pictur...

Shock. Horror. A woman with a low cut blouse out in public suffered the indignity of someone snapping a picture of her cleavage. Then you have morons on the comment board referring to her as a victim and comparing it to rape.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98539 May 5, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://www.kgw.com/news/Woman- Man-took-picture-of-cleavage-o n-MAX-257758071.html

Shock. Horror. A woman with a low cut blouse out in public suffered the indignity of someone snapping a picture of her cleavage. Then you have morons on the comment board referring to her as a victim and comparing it to rape.
When you go out in public, you have no expectation of privacy. He wasn't trying to take a picture of anything that was hidden from view. I think she, and many of the commenters, are overreacting.

#98540 May 5, 2014
Who cares if it is unappitizing? They are required to put it on their plate, not eat it. So if they dont eat it, they have no right to complain about how hungry they are.
If they choose not to eat, then they just aint that hungry, so I dont care.
There are poeple on this planet who cant fathom the food we throw away. Lets have a Student exchange with those kids.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I was about to say roughly the same thing. Offering healthy choices is good. Limiting the number of unhealthy choices a student can have is not a terrible idea either. But REQUIRING they take a certain class of food when they don't want it? Stupid. You can't force people to eat what they don't want. I can say with certainty, I would have just thrown it away, just like today's kids. I NEVER had a salad in my life until deep into college and that was only because friends and I ate at a place that brought out a big giant salad for the whole table.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98541 May 5, 2014
RACE wrote:
Who cares if it is unappitizing? They are required to put it on their plate, not eat it. So if they dont eat it, they have no right to complain about how hungry they are.
If they choose not to eat, then they just aint that hungry, so I dont care.
There are poeple on this planet who cant fathom the food we throw away. Lets have a Student exchange with those kids.
<quoted text>
I'm not commenting on their complaints about the taste. I'm commenting on the stupidity of a policy that forces students to take food they are not going to eat. Food pre-destined for the trash. Not a wise expenditure of public funds.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#98542 May 6, 2014

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#98543 May 6, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://www.kgw.com/news/Woman- Man-took-picture-of-cleavage-o n-MAX-257758071.html
Sadly, another casualty of the death of, common sense.....she should take responsibility for her inability to dress in a manner, that does'nt attract attention to, what appears to be her only feature......Feminine Freudian Slip.....

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98544 May 6, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
To me it seems so wasteful (of money and food). If a parent wants their kids to eat that stuff, pack them a healthy lunch. My kid's school has a potato/salad bar. She likes to get that sometimes and will even get it when it's pizza day. But it's still more about the potato than the salad!

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#98545 May 6, 2014
In Illinois it is illegal to bring your own lunch to school. Only the school is permitted to feed your children

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98546 May 6, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
In Illinois it is illegal to bring your own lunch to school. Only the school is permitted to feed your children
Bull.

Although some schools have rules about bringing in birthday treats

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#98547 May 6, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull.
Although some schools have rules about bringing in birthday treats
Bull my @zz, look it up

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#98548 May 6, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
Well, then I must live in another state because I haul my azz out of bed 20 minutes early to make lunches for both my children.

Which they are allowed to eat, I might add.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#98549 May 6, 2014
Pippa wrote:
To edog, Toj, ScarletandOlive, and others I may have missed, I'd like to thank you for your posts in 4/30 Amy column to support me in respect to Julie's response to my posts. I really do appreciate your support. I was so overwhelmed by it that I simply didn't know what to say to you in response. Nothing I come up with seems adequate. You are truly nice people and it's one reason why I go to the topix forums to read your comments on the columns. You've always been kind and helpful to me when I first went there and knew very little (ok, almost nothing) about how the column worked or how to interpret various things. We don't always agree but that only makes is more interesting. I like to hear other people's views and why they think as they do. Sometimes I find my own views changing because what you folks say. I feel very real affection for all of you even though we have never met in person. The internet has truly changed the way people "meet" and interact. ;-) That can be a very good thing.
While no thanks was necessary, you just showed the reason why we had your back. Integrity and kindness!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#98550 May 6, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull my @zz, look it up
It's just not true. You look it up.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98551 May 6, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull my @zz, look it up
I did. And what I found was that ONE school adminidtrator banned home brought lunches at the Little Village Academy, not all across Illinois as you would like to lie about.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4337744/...

The principal retracted that ban a week later.

EAT OR STARVE: The principal of Chicago’s Little Village Academy public school, Elsa Carmona, had a unique idea on school lunches.  According to the Chicago Tribune, she announced that her students had a choice; they could either eat the cafeteria food or “go hungry.” An article by Bill O’Reilly,“School Lunch Madness,” exposed the dictatorial,“nanny state” principal and her usurpation of parental rights.Carmona felt that the food some moronic parents allowed their kids to eat was garbage and she would rectify that: ”It’s about ... the excellent quality food that they are able to serve (in the lunchroom). It’s milk versus a Coke.”  At $2.25 per, or $11.25 a week, and considering the typical quality of cafeteria grub, it’s hard to say whether the kids would be better off eating garbage. In any event, Carmona retracted her edict after an uproar and said she had been misquoted by the Trib. As O’Reilly concluded,“In America, we allow freedom of choice.  And while kids can’t choose their parents and vice-versa, when it comes to choosing the meal plan, parents should rule

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Homer 1,264,458
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 58 min CDC 52,070
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Ariel Sharon 70,149
amy august 2 3 hr Blunt Advice 5
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Jacques Ottawa 194,696
Abby August 3 3 hr Blunt Advice 7
Ask Amy August 3 3 hr Sublime1 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages