Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#98441 May 2, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, spelling and grammar are always important. Ry's first grade class required that they write sentences every week. Parents were told not to make them correct misspellings, but to cross them out and write the correct spelling above it when they were done. Nope. They will not learn unless they are the ones making corrections. Ry has a children's dictionary and I would tell him "There is a misspelling in this sentence. Use your dictionary to figure it out and correct it."
I have high expectations for my kids and am angry that the school district is satisfied with them not failing.
WORD.

West Palm Beach, FL

#98442 May 2, 2014
I learned how to spell my (maiden) last name by listening to my dad make dinner reservations on the phone, haha.

I think it's abhorrent that schools "don't worry about spelling."

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98443 May 2, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
I learned how to spell my (maiden) last name by listening to my dad make dinner reservations on the phone, haha.
Is it that they don't worry about spelling, or that spelling is the next step along the way? I'm not worried that my kid has not learned long division, because I know its coming. That's my take on the spelling thing.(And when I'm not dropping cell phone keyboard typos left and right on Topix, I'm a great speller, so I do agree spelling is important.)

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98444 May 2, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
IMO, spelling and grammar are always important. Ry's first grade class required that they write sentences every week. Parents were told not to make them correct misspellings, but to cross them out and write the correct spelling above it when they were done. Nope. They will not learn unless they are the ones making corrections. Ry has a children's dictionary and I would tell him "There is a misspelling in this sentence. Use your dictionary to figure it out and correct it."
I have high expectations for my kids and am angry that the school district is satisfied with them not failing.
I love words.
I was accused, with some justification, of reading the dictionary in grade school.
I have yet to figure out how to look up a word in a hard copy dictionary f you don't know how it is spelled.

West Palm Beach, FL

#98446 May 2, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Is it that they don't worry about spelling, or that spelling is the next step along the way? I'm not worried that my kid has not learned long division, because I know its coming. That's my take on the spelling thing.(And when I'm not dropping cell phone keyboard typos left and right on Topix, I'm a great speller, so I do agree spelling is important.)
But it makes sense that one would learn basic addition and subtraction before long division. What comes before spelling besides simply learning how to print letters? Why let kids get used to spelling everything phonetically just to break them of their bad habits to teach them correctly later, when you can just teach them correctly in the first place?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98447 May 2, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

But I have to add that I love how kids write out what they hear. It often makes more sense, phonetically speaking.
Try Dragonspeak or even the Windows Speech Recognition to Text function. You will be amazed at what your speech looks like when only the phonetics are heard.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98448 May 2, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I love words.
I was accused, with some justification, of reading the dictionary in grade school.
I have yet to figure out how to look up a word in a hard copy dictionary f you don't know how it is spelled.
You look up what you think is the correct spelling. Unless you are trying to look up a PH word in the F section, chances are pretty good that you will find it on the page where you think it should be.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98449 May 2, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I love words.
When I went to check on Ry the other night, he had fallen asleep reading the dictionary :) E is going to get his own when he enters 1st grade so that they don't have to fight over it.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98450 May 2, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
But it makes sense that one would learn basic addition and subtraction before long division. What comes before spelling besides simply learning how to print letters? Why let kids get used to spelling everything phonetically just to break them of their bad habits to teach them correctly later, when you can just teach them correctly in the first place?
Hey I never claimed to have a teaching degree. But here's what I googled.

http://www.greatschools.org/students/academic...

West Palm Beach, FL

#98451 May 2, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Hey I never claimed to have a teaching degree. But here's what I googled.
http://www.greatschools.org/students/academic...
"...kindergartners are encouraged to spell words the way they sound, which is known as phonetic or “invented” spelling."

This makes me cringe. Another way of putting this is kindergartners are encouraged to spell things however they want, incorrectly. Invented spelling? What kind if hippy dippy horse poop is that?

But I never claimed to have a teaching degree either.

Cheluzal, want to chime in here?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#98452 May 2, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it has to do with frustration levels. If you're asked to write about your weekend and you have to stop 20 times to look up words in a dictionary, pretty soon the story gets lost and all creativity and fun is taken out of it. But my kids go to an arts-focused magnet school, so that may have something to do with the focus, at first, being on expressing yourself and not the spelling.

And spelling in English is really hard to learn. We have some really goofy words that make no sense to the little ones. I say let them use "kindergarten spell" for a year or so; they will learn the proper way to spell things soon enough. I can't tell you how many times Lulu has asked me how to spell something and when I tell her how, she gives me that "really?" look and I say "welcome to English!" And let's not even get started on homophones...

West Palm Beach, FL

#98453 May 2, 2014
And yes, I see the irony of having a typo in my last post.

;)

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#98455 May 2, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
"...kindergartners are encouraged to spell words the way they sound, which is known as phonetic or “invented” spelling."
This makes me cringe. Another way of putting this is kindergartners are encouraged to spell things however they want, incorrectly. Invented spelling? What kind if hippy dippy horse poop is that?
Makes a bit of sense to me if you are going to teach phonics. It is the step right before teaching them the words and how to do things phonetically. Otherwise, they are memorizing the spelling of things.

I would think a bit of both would be the right combination, though.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98456 May 2, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Some schools; some teachers.

I teach 8th grade GIFTED/HONORS Language Arts and I have kids who can't put a freaking period at the end of a sentence! Trust me, every frakking misspelled word is circled and corrected by Ms. Cheluzal. Punctuation, too. I've all but banned contractions.

I have one parent who, while nice, thinks I'm a bit "too picky" about it. Um, her son is gifted and doesn't capitalize the first word of a sentence...give me a break.
I fight an uphill battle, I know, but I refuse to relent!
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98457 May 2, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha, just saw this after my previous post.
Honestly, I get some people aren't great at spelling/writing. I'm not great at math. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.
But if your child is in gifted or honors classes and graduating high school, they should know how to spell most commonly-used words correctly.
The "write whatever" mentality was created when standardized tests (in FL, the FCAT) cared more about what they wrote than how, even though it was a section of the grading rubric.
So teachers, whose pay/job is often tied to students achievement, felt they had to adjust.

A couple years ago in FL, someone realized that kids can't spell, so they acted like they changed the rubric. Um, no--they actually held to the original one. Scores plummeted and they had to adjust it accordingly so it didn't look like near 80% of our 8th graders failed. What a joke.

I also firmly maintain technology has made people stupider and more dependent on it than on learning the right way. Most of the weird English language is a matter of memorizing, and no one can be bothered.

But hey, what do I know? I'm the moron who still teaches her kids cursive.

/soapbox

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#98458 May 2, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Some schools; some teachers.
I teach 8th grade GIFTED/HONORS Language Arts and I have kids who can't put a freaking period at the end of a sentence! Trust me, every frakking misspelled word is circled and corrected by Ms. Cheluzal. Punctuation, too. I've all but banned contractions.
I have one parent who, while nice, thinks I'm a bit "too picky" about it. Um, her son is gifted and doesn't capitalize the first word of a sentence...give me a break.
I fight an uphill battle, I know, but I refuse to relent!
Ha! He's just the next e.e. cummings.
:D

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#98459 May 2, 2014
this is funny wrote:
<quoted text>Yep but they've been around longer. I believe they were founded in Madison, Wisconsin and operate out of Chicago- the funniest city in the world.
I know (alleged) grown men who boast like that too....
Probably a spark to the ego, but a hurdle for parts of the psyche.....I'd already moved away, by the time Second City became a big deal.....Alotta talent came thru there....

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98461 May 2, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>Haha, just saw this after my previous post.
Honestly, I get some people aren't great at spelling/writing. I'm not great at math. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.
But if your child is in gifted or honors classes and graduating high school, they should know how to spell most commonly-used words correctly.
The "write whatever" mentality was created when standardized tests (in FL, the FCAT) cared more about what they wrote than how, even though it was a section of the grading rubric.
So teachers, whose pay/job is often tied to students achievement, felt they had to adjust.

A couple years ago in FL, someone realized that kids can't spell, so they acted like they changed the rubric. Um, no--they actually held to the original one. Scores plummeted and they had to adjust it accordingly so it didn't look like near 80% of our 8th graders failed. What a joke.

I also firmly maintain technology has made people stupider and more dependent on it than on learning the right way. Most of the weird English language is a matter of memorizing, and no one can be bothered.

But hey, what do I know? I'm the moron who still teaches her kids cursive.

/soapbox
Our school started teaching cursive to the second graders again. Yay!

I don't want my kids to rely on spellcheck or MS Word for their spelling and grammar.

While we're at it, have I told you guys that my Kindergartener was allowed to use a calculator to practice counting by twos and fives. That's BS. No wonder out kids are having a hard time with math.

Ry told me today that they learned how to calculate volume. I asked what they taught him and first he said something about one cube at the bottom times the height. Then he told me they taught him L x W x D. I told him to forget about the cube idea because it was garbage. He needs to learn the formulas.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98463 May 2, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Ry told me today that they learned how to calculate volume. I asked what they taught him and first he said something about one cube at the bottom times the height. Then he told me they taught him L x W x D. I told him to forget about the cube idea because it was garbage. He needs to learn the formulas.
What grade is he in? For some reason, I have it in my head that he's in first grade. I don't recall learning multiplication till 3rd grade, much less formulas.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98464 May 2, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>What grade is he in? For some reason, I have it in my head that he's in first grade. I don't recall learning multiplication till 3rd grade, much less formulas.
He's in second grade, but spends half the day in a third grade classroom for reading, writing and math. They do basic multiplication in second grade, but don't do division until third grade.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min PolakPotrafi 1,208,314
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 20 min Almost amish 71,709
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr ritedownthemiddle 52,446
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Jacques in Orleans 186,025
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 4 hr Red_Forman 828
Word (Dec '08) 4 hr Red_Forman 5,163
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr Red_Forman 5,833
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]