Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98312 Apr 26, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>???
I just ran it through Google maps and got 4,060 miles. Considering I don't have exact addresses, I think 160 miles is an acceptable variance.
Even if you accidentally did Zanesville to Portland and back, that's still 1600 miles.
Article says his rout is:
Start at home in Zanesville, Ohio
1209 miles to Houston
217 miles to Lafayette, La
454 miles to Birmingham, Ala
800 miles to Altoona, Pa
581 miles to New England (I used Portland, too)
800 miles to home
I seem to be wrong.

I must have been looking at a segment mileage rather than the whole trip. This morning Portland to Houston is 1908 miles. Funny hw those interstates expand overnight.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98313 Apr 26, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
BestBuy does that. Walmart has site-to-store where you order online and pick it up from the store a few days later. There is no shipping charge and if you don't like it, you return it back to the store. I hate going into Walmart, but I do use that feature. Toys R Us does one of those, too.
I can't bring myself to walk in WM. I honestly will pay more to avoid. Haven't been in years...I feel I need a shower after visiting...it is disgusting, cheap crappy stuff, full of nasty people, dirty, 2 lanes open when they build 30, and a cashier popping gum who hates life.

Pass.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98314 Apr 27, 2014

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98315 Apr 27, 2014
The whole REAL Abby for 4-27

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TDQ0SEFLLA...

(Memo to self: no posting without coffee)

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#98316 Apr 27, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I've seen so many articles that make me feel like such a dinosaur. Articles predicting the fall of Best Buy because of "show rooming". You're probably familiar with the term, but in case not, that's when you go to Best Buy(or some other brick and mortar retailer) to compare products, to touch and feel the product, get hands on experience, then go buy the product online. I'm the complete opposite. I go online to do my research and comparison. Then I go to the store to buy it.
As for credit cards online, my credit card has a service called shop safe. I I want to make a $50 purchase, I log in, enter that amount and an expiration date, and it will generate a new credit card number for me with a $50 limit and the expiration date I specified. That number can then only be used with ONE vendor. So after I make my purchase, I'm doubly safe from fraud, because the limit is already reached, and it won't authorize for a 2nd vendor.
That's awesome. I did not know that existed. I'm glad you posted about it.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98317 Apr 27, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
That's awesome. I did not know that existed. I'm glad you posted about it.
https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/account...

http://lifehacker.com/5831160/use-virtual-cre...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#98318 Apr 27, 2014
Congrats to the Chicago Blackhawks, who just beat the St. Louis Blues, 5-1....to win their opening series in the Stanley Cup Playoffs...4 games to 2.....Go Hawks....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#98319 Apr 28, 2014

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98320 Apr 28, 2014

#98321 Apr 28, 2014
From a local news station. The kids are ok

...Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue said the girls were on an inner tube being pulled by a boat Friday evening when somehow the tube and girls were hit by a piling....

I cant remember the last time I was attacked by a piling. They are pounded into the water pretty far down and cant jump very well at all.

Location hidden

#98322 Apr 28, 2014
RACE wrote:
Sammy wrote his own books about his life....Yes I Can....and i believe, another called....Black Like Me.....i did read them both, back in the 60's....He was very honest about all the open racism, especially when he married May Brit.....Sammy was probably one of the best Entertainers ever.....

#98323 Apr 28, 2014
The whole brat pack was just a little before my time. The most relevant he was to me was "The Candy Man" song.
Other than that I only have memories of them on TV smoking cigarettes and holding drinks, while cracking jokes I did not get.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Sammy wrote his own books about his life....Yes I Can....and i believe, another called....Black Like Me.....i did read them both, back in the 60's....He was very honest about all the open racism, especially when he married May Brit.....Sammy was probably one of the best Entertainers ever.....

Location hidden

#98324 Apr 28, 2014
RACE wrote:
The whole brat pack was just a little before my time. The most relevant he was to me was "The Candy Man" song.
Other than that I only have memories of them on TV smoking cigarettes and holding drinks, while cracking jokes I did not get.
<quoted text>
I was lucky to have grown up around some of it....when i was 10-12, my Grama would take me out to eat at the Fountain Blue and Eden Roc on Miami Beach....back when everyone smoked...and everywhere...on airplanes, restaurants...like Mad Men, if you've ever seen that....i hated it in the Chicago winters, when they would smoke in the car, with the windows up.....along with those times came seperate drinking fountains and washrooms, too.....

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#98325 Apr 28, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't bring myself to walk in WM. I honestly will pay more to avoid. Haven't been in years...I feel I need a shower after visiting...it is disgusting, cheap crappy stuff, full of nasty people, dirty, 2 lanes open when they build 30, and a cashier popping gum who hates life.
Pass.
We would have to drive way out of our way to even get to a walmart, but since I don't set foot in them either, it's no skin off my nose.

I went to one with my mother two years ago to get school supplies and I swore I would never go back. Didn't have everything I needed (so whatever money I would have saved was blown on a second trip to another store), it was raining so the store was dark, and the other shoppers wer just plain rude. Was cut-off, bumped into and generally annoyed by the same rude boy in like 5 different aisles. I could not wait to leave.
Tralee la la

Hawthorne, CA

#98327 Apr 28, 2014
Wicklow wrote:
29 Things That Will Make You Grin Like An Idiot However Badly Your Day’s Going
http://www.buzzfeed.com/alanwhite/29-things-t...
#28 made me laugh.:)
I like #19

#98328 Apr 28, 2014
The one near me is really not as bad as I thought it would be. The employees are generally helpful, the customers no ruder than some other places, but it is not my first choice. Partly because it is always crowded, and I am not good at playing with others, so I tend to get wound up in there.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We would have to drive way out of our way to even get to a walmart, but since I don't set foot in them either, it's no skin off my nose.
I went to one with my mother two years ago to get school supplies and I swore I would never go back. Didn't have everything I needed (so whatever money I would have saved was blown on a second trip to another store), it was raining so the store was dark, and the other shoppers wer just plain rude. Was cut-off, bumped into and generally annoyed by the same rude boy in like 5 different aisles. I could not wait to leave.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98329 Apr 28, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Brace yourself. There is one going in on Touhy just west of McCormick, hopefully replacing the one on Touhy in Niles which is a rat hole.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#98335 Apr 28, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Brace yourself. There is one going in on Touhy just west of McCormick, hopefully replacing the one on Touhy in Niles which is a rat hole.
Where the Klein Tools used to be? I knew that a Mariano's was going in there, but the construction site looked way too big to be just a grocery store.

Target is still closer.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98336 Apr 28, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Where the Klein Tools used to be? I knew that a Mariano's was going in there, but the construction site looked way too big to be just a grocery store.
Target is still closer.
Yeah, just west of there according to my parents who live in the neighborhood. Marianos. too. It impacts what is happening to the old Dominicks at Pratt and McCormick. I think TIF money is involved somewhere.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98337 Apr 28, 2014
Wicklow wrote:
<quoted text>For those familiar with the Harry Potter books, I've always likened the Walmart experience to entering a space full of dementors. You leave feeling as if your soul has been reduced in some way. At least the one near me feels that way. Very bad energy.
I'm in a small southern town so our is just full of trash. All kinds of trash. I went at night since it was the only thing open....OMG....I felt I was transported into another dimension where people live in ways that are foreign to me. Ick.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Nuculur option 1,276,651
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 12 min Red_Forman 6,426
Ask Amy 9-1-15 14 min PEllen 2
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 17 min Patriot AKA Bozo 54,538
Dear Abby 9-1-15 31 min PEllen 1
News The Chicago hunger strike for Dyett High School... 52 min reality is a crutch 1
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 55 min Joe Balls 196,922
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages