Topix Chitown Regulars
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98304 Apr 25, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Agree on this topic...plus i like to see and touch what i am buying....and am still leery of using credit cards online....not that i won't, but not often....We replaced cards, after the Target hack.....
I replaced card too and now only use it for gas and the atm.
Have pretty much gone cash for everything--so much easier.
But I put a credit card on amazon and have had no problems.
I do trust them; they are always willing to make you happy and fix any issues.
I shop there all the time if at all possible.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#98305 Apr 25, 2014
I have not map quested the route, but to suggest is is 800 miles is silly. 778 / 2 is only 389 miles one way.... Seriously 400 miles covers one state at best. I dont know or actually care if the milage is accurate. I would not be supporting a truck driver anyway.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a touching article but I ran the route through MapQuest. It is 778 miles round trip not 4200 miles. I assumed the New England stop was Portland Maine. The numbers are so far apart that something doesn't add up.
Rounding up it is 1600 miles a month.
Am I missing something?
I am a cynic. If they get this part so wrong, what do the finances of the organization look like under a magnifying glass?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#98306 Apr 25, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>I read eons agoof some stores experimenting with you ordering online and someone gathers it from the store and you drive up to get it. I would do that in a heartbeat.
I hate shopping--I mean loathe it!
I will avoid if it at all possible and sadly, this filters into grocery shopping.
It is a flaming chore for me.
BestBuy does that. Walmart has site-to-store where you order online and pick it up from the store a few days later. There is no shipping charge and if you don't like it, you return it back to the store. I hate going into Walmart, but I do use that feature. Toys R Us does one of those, too.

#98307 Apr 25, 2014
Are you suggesting that the entire show is a scam?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98308 Apr 25, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a touching article but I ran the route through MapQuest. It is 778 miles round trip not 4200 miles. I assumed the New England stop was Portland Maine.
?
???

I just ran it through Google maps and got 4,060 miles. Considering I don't have exact addresses, I think 160 miles is an acceptable variance.

Even if you accidentally did Zanesville to Portland and back, that's still 1600 miles.

Article says his rout is:

Start at home in Zanesville, Ohio
1209 miles to Houston
217 miles to Lafayette, La
454 miles to Birmingham, Ala
800 miles to Altoona, Pa
581 miles to New England (I used Portland, too)
800 miles to home

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#98309 Apr 26, 2014

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#98310 Apr 26, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> To be accurate, CompUSA did not merge with Tiger Direct. CompUSA went out of business and closed down. Tiger Direct came behind and bought the CompUSA name for the brand value. Initially, they only used the brand for the website, but then decided to re-open some of the old CompUSA stores under the original name.
Back in my younger days, when I lived down south, I got stuff at Brandsmart now and then. That place was always a madhouse, back in the pre-Best Buy days.
Do you remember a place called The Incredible Universe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incredible_Unive...
I recall seeing Incredible Universe, but can't remember where...and we travel a bit....CompUSA was a much better and tech savvy store, than what it has become...Here they put all the Brandsmarts, in the edgier neighborhoods along I-95.....I still miss Circuit City...lol...

Location hidden

#98311 Apr 26, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
I replaced card too and now only use it for gas and the atm.
Have pretty much gone cash for everything--so much easier.
But I put a credit card on amazon and have had no problems.
I do trust them; they are always willing to make you happy and fix any issues.
I shop there all the time if at all possible.
My wife has used them with Ebay and found Paypal works well....I use a Discover card at Big Walmart, only because it was originally their own card.....But, i am alway's carrying enough cash, so i have never wanted an ATM card....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#98312 Apr 26, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>???
I just ran it through Google maps and got 4,060 miles. Considering I don't have exact addresses, I think 160 miles is an acceptable variance.
Even if you accidentally did Zanesville to Portland and back, that's still 1600 miles.
Article says his rout is:
Start at home in Zanesville, Ohio
1209 miles to Houston
217 miles to Lafayette, La
454 miles to Birmingham, Ala
800 miles to Altoona, Pa
581 miles to New England (I used Portland, too)
800 miles to home
I seem to be wrong.

I must have been looking at a segment mileage rather than the whole trip. This morning Portland to Houston is 1908 miles. Funny hw those interstates expand overnight.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98313 Apr 26, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
BestBuy does that. Walmart has site-to-store where you order online and pick it up from the store a few days later. There is no shipping charge and if you don't like it, you return it back to the store. I hate going into Walmart, but I do use that feature. Toys R Us does one of those, too.
I can't bring myself to walk in WM. I honestly will pay more to avoid. Haven't been in years...I feel I need a shower after visiting...it is disgusting, cheap crappy stuff, full of nasty people, dirty, 2 lanes open when they build 30, and a cashier popping gum who hates life.

Pass.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98314 Apr 27, 2014

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98315 Apr 27, 2014
The whole REAL Abby for 4-27

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TDQ0SEFLLA...

(Memo to self: no posting without coffee)

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#98316 Apr 27, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I've seen so many articles that make me feel like such a dinosaur. Articles predicting the fall of Best Buy because of "show rooming". You're probably familiar with the term, but in case not, that's when you go to Best Buy(or some other brick and mortar retailer) to compare products, to touch and feel the product, get hands on experience, then go buy the product online. I'm the complete opposite. I go online to do my research and comparison. Then I go to the store to buy it.
As for credit cards online, my credit card has a service called shop safe. I I want to make a $50 purchase, I log in, enter that amount and an expiration date, and it will generate a new credit card number for me with a $50 limit and the expiration date I specified. That number can then only be used with ONE vendor. So after I make my purchase, I'm doubly safe from fraud, because the limit is already reached, and it won't authorize for a 2nd vendor.
That's awesome. I did not know that existed. I'm glad you posted about it.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98317 Apr 27, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
That's awesome. I did not know that existed. I'm glad you posted about it.
https://www.bankofamerica.com/privacy/account...

http://lifehacker.com/5831160/use-virtual-cre...

Location hidden

#98318 Apr 27, 2014
Congrats to the Chicago Blackhawks, who just beat the St. Louis Blues, 5-1....to win their opening series in the Stanley Cup Playoffs...4 games to 2.....Go Hawks....

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#98319 Apr 28, 2014

#98320 Apr 28, 2014

#98321 Apr 28, 2014
From a local news station. The kids are ok

...Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue said the girls were on an inner tube being pulled by a boat Friday evening when somehow the tube and girls were hit by a piling....

I cant remember the last time I was attacked by a piling. They are pounded into the water pretty far down and cant jump very well at all.

Location hidden

#98322 Apr 28, 2014
RACE wrote:
Sammy wrote his own books about his life....Yes I Can....and i believe, another called....Black Like Me.....i did read them both, back in the 60's....He was very honest about all the open racism, especially when he married May Brit.....Sammy was probably one of the best Entertainers ever.....

#98323 Apr 28, 2014
The whole brat pack was just a little before my time. The most relevant he was to me was "The Candy Man" song.
Other than that I only have memories of them on TV smoking cigarettes and holding drinks, while cracking jokes I did not get.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Sammy wrote his own books about his life....Yes I Can....and i believe, another called....Black Like Me.....i did read them both, back in the 60's....He was very honest about all the open racism, especially when he married May Brit.....Sammy was probably one of the best Entertainers ever.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min My New Alias RULES 1,395,028
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 6 min GEORGIA 1,670
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 12 min GEORGIA 2,693
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 16 min Into The Night 60,069
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 48 min TRD 70,722
Louis trashes the broad. 1 hr bozo and bubba 11
Paul Weston from 12Tribe Films. 1 hr All about muslims 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Rogue Scholar 05 216,687
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages