Topix Chitown Regulars

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#97995 Apr 21, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
We called them evolving Door Jews. In at Rosh Hashanah and out at Yom Kippur.
Which denomination is it that holds that you are judged on your deeds in this life and by your faith and not on an attendance record? That's the one for me.
I don't think God needs to have 10 men in one place for anyone to be heard nor does He need a certified intermediary with special words to explain what we mortals are about, but hey, what do I know?
Revolving Door Jews

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97996 Apr 21, 2014
Catfish Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>My favorites are "cafeteria Christians". You may know them as those that follow the new testament but like to go back into the Old find stuff they like that supports anti-gay sentiments and even pro-slavery type things. However they eschew stuff about eschewing pork and lobster because that stuff's yummy! And things like not hanging around womenfolk when they are cycling is an odd choice when the weather is nice like this and the lakefront is full of chicks on Schwinns.
Oh definitely. The Old Testament has some very nasty people in it. They didn't teach those stories in Sunday school.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#97997 Apr 21, 2014
Catfish Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>My favorites are "cafeteria Christians". You may know them as those that follow the new testament but like to go back into the Old find stuff they like that supports anti-gay sentiments and even pro-slavery type things. However they eschew stuff about eschewing pork and lobster because that stuff's yummy! And things like not hanging around womenfolk when they are cycling is an odd choice when the weather is nice like this and the lakefront is full of chicks on Schwinns.
AFAIK, "Cafeteria Catholics" are the ones who choose the teachings of the Church that are convenient to them, but ignore the ones that aren't. For example, they take Communion on Sunday, but publicly support pro-choice initiatives during the week. They are not usually the ones who act pious or judgmental.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#97998 Apr 21, 2014
Toj wrote:
Chel -- Was your cousin medically taken out of his coma? Hope he's okay or will be soon.
Yes. He was medically induced but then wasn't coming out after they stopped...this was 2.5 weeks ago.
Finally he's rousing and sitting up and recognizes people! Even able to brush his teeth.

With bro, he was stuck in veggie state, but I knew cuz would be better--no surgery needed.

Thanks for all the wishes!
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98000 Apr 21, 2014
FWIW/IMO:

A church is full of imperfect people, but the building is a House of God. If you have a relationship with someone you go to their homes. Being a guest is crucial, so you need to visit God's house.
Is it necessary to make Heaven? I think no, but how can you live in eternity with a being you never visited?

I think a lot of people use the imperfect humans inside to justify not going for their own well-being.
The Bible says if you are lukewarm, God will spit you out.

I find it sad society almost waits in gleeful anticipation when a Christian fails (read: acts human), as though we are without sin.
I think it's a handy way to deflect.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98001 Apr 21, 2014
Catfish Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>I had to look up "AFAIK".I thought you were cussing me out! You learn something new every day, as far as I know.

Yep, it's usually a term associated with Catholics but, I think it can be applied to to any religion and the followers who don't strictly follow to the letter all tenets of their religion but, kinda sorta want folks to *think* they do and who expect others to. Like Amish who use electricity. I dated a Mormon woman for awhile who smoked and drank alcohol and coffee- church no-no's. She was sincere in her faith as far as she was concerned and as far as I was but, not at all as far as 99% of her church was. So, in a sense she was a cafeteria Mormon- and the full bar, too. I learned that a lot of them were, which is typical of every religion except maybe Shakers.
I don't swear at people unless they are using derogatory words to describe children or I am questioning Edog ;)

I have been called out for not strictly following my Church's teachings. My support for same sex marriage is pretty well known and it obviously goes against the current teachings of the Catholic Church (I say it that way because I have hope for the future). I have discussed my views with priests and devout Catholics who may not agree with me, but no longer argue with me.

I believe that God gave man free will and intelligence so that he can constantly reevaluate what he "knows" and believes. All of His laws were interpreted by men and man is fallible. Still, I will try my best to love others as He loves me and remember that it is not my place to judge (just as it is not the place of other churchgoers to judge me).

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98002 Apr 21, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
FWIW/IMO:

A church is full of imperfect people, but the building is a House of God. If you have a relationship with someone you go to their homes. Being a guest is crucial, so you need to visit God's house.
Is it necessary to make Heaven? I think no, but how can you live in eternity with a being you never visited?

I think a lot of people use the imperfect humans inside to justify not going for their own well-being.

I find it sad society almost waits in gleeful anticipation when a Christian fails (read: acts human), as though we are without sin.
I want a like button instead of an anonymous judging icon (which I can't access from the app anyway).

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98004 Apr 21, 2014
These ABC "What Would You Do" situations are pretty interesting.

Here is a domestic abuse one.

For this one, I really don't know what anyone here can do in the grand scheme of things. If this was a real situation, what would be the outcome? Unless the girl takes action, she'd just get a beatin when she got home, no? Not saying the people around should have done nothing, but I don't know how helpful it would be after she left the diner

Thoughts?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98005 Apr 21, 2014
Here's one for Jess. While I would never do this and do think its way inappropriate, I stop way short of calling it abuse like the first lady in the video and can't see how this is a police matter other than perhaps the fact that she left the kid outside alone..

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#98006 Apr 21, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Here's one for Jess. While I would never do this and do think its way inappropriate, I stop way short of calling it abuse like the first lady in the video and can't see how this is a police matter other than perhaps the fact that she left the kid outside alone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =az_IGkNHVK4XX
Tying up kids outside of a store is absolutely wrong and I would have said something, too.

I had one of the backpacks with a leash for my oldest. I didn't really use it because he would run and his feet would fly out from under him when he reached the end of the race. For a smart kid, he doesn't have a lot of common sense.

The issue I had with the "nanny" scenario wasn't the leashes, it was the way she was talking to them. It was obvious that they were not her kids and it is not appropriate to talk to someone else's child the way she was (not ideal for parents to talk like that either, but that's another conversation).

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#98008 Apr 22, 2014

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98009 Apr 22, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
FWIW/IMO:
Very well put, Chel.

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#98010 Apr 22, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well put, Chel.
I agree, and I also agree with Jess that we should have a "like" button.
:)

To further elaborate, going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car. Being a Christian is about what's in your heart.

In my opinion, going to church is to *enhance* your life and the lives of others (by serving as well as receiving). Being a part of a community like church can be - and should be - extraordinarily helpful in both spiritual and practical ways.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#98011 Apr 22, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
To further elaborate, going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car. Being a Christian is about what's in your heart.
In my opinion, going to church is to *enhance* your life and the lives of others (by serving as well as receiving). Being a part of a community like church can be - and should be - extraordinarily helpful in both spiritual and practical ways.
<like>

:-D

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#98012 Apr 22, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
<like>
:-D
Good solution!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#98013 Apr 22, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
These ABC "What Would You Do" situations are pretty interesting.
Here is a domestic abuse one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =mMSb5fS5rQMXX
For this one, I really don't know what anyone here can do in the grand scheme of things. If this was a real situation, what would be the outcome? Unless the girl takes action, she'd just get a beatin when she got home, no? Not saying the people around should have done nothing, but I don't know how helpful it would be after she left the diner
Thoughts?
Wow. All you can do is try to help. Calling the police was a good idea. Checking with the woman was a good thing. Just b/c you can't necessarily see it through, I'd try to do what I could.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#98014 Apr 22, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. All you can do is try to help. Calling the police was a good idea. Checking with the woman was a good thing. Just b/c you can't necessarily see it through, I'd try to do what I could.
I could see stepping in if he was getting violent. But what he was doing in the diner was nothing he could be arrested for though it certainly was a great indicator that he likely was doing arrestable acts behind closed doors. Unless your intervention in the diner would result in her not going home to him at the end of the day, it seems pointless to me to get in the middle of it or call the cops. Not that I would not want to help her, just that in that scenario, I don't see what difference I could have made.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98017 Apr 22, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I want a like button instead of an anonymous judging icon (which I can't access from the app anyway).
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98018 Apr 22, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well put, Chel.
Why, thank you. ;)
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#98019 Apr 22, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
*like*

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 8 min Early to bed 1,534,363
ex chicago police woman (Jul '16) 2 hr SAy it aint so 21
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr LOL 240,800
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr _Zoey_ 10,687
Bottomless wife? 8 hr Earl 4
Mass media's war on police leads to more crime. 10 hr actorvet 1
Deporting Seniors 15 hr But brain works 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages