Topix Chitown Regulars

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#97890 Apr 17, 2014
Sub, you get what you pay for.

Today was Day 1 for my new bee hive. I want to tell you about it:

I borrowed a hive from my friend last year, but it was too late in the season to get bees, so I had to wait for this years allotment, which I picked up a few days ago. They come in a small little crate about the size of a shoebox with some screen on it. And today I put them in their new happy home. They seemed real excited.
I joined a local beekeepers association and I go to meetings once a month at the library and I was able to order the bees through them.
I bought 3 pounds, which is approximately 15,000 honey bees and cost $100.
It was quite an awesome experience putting those bees in their hive today.
I had the veil on and didn't get stung and even took pictures of the colony and the queen. They are not aggressive like yellowjackets and hornets and wasps. It's a lot of fun and I would recommend it for anyone.
I'll bring you some updates as the season progresses and let you know how they we're doing.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#97891 Apr 18, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Food Service Story time double shot

Story 1:
So today I go to Crisper's for lunch. They have a new item on the menu. Caribbean Crab Salad. Looks good. I order it. It takes 20 minutes to make it to my table. WTF? Whatever. I start to eat. And am not thrilled. Not very good at all. Assistant manager happens to be walking round the restaurant and stops by my table. Asks me how I'm liking the new salad. Ehhh....not so much. As I begin to tell her why, you can tell by her body language that she really does not want to hear why and would rather just move on to the next table to ask how their lunch is. But I've already started talking, so I think she feels trapped. I tell her that the avocado seems not ripe yet. Still a little to hard and I tell her the crab just does not taste very good. In my head, I thought to myself that it tasted like it came right out of a can. She then says, as if its a selling point, "well, it came right outta the can!:)", and then moves on to the next table. And I'm thinking, YES! It tastes like it came right out of a can. THAT'S WHY IT TASTE'S LIKE SHIT. Not that I was expecting stone crab claws, but you gotta season it. Put some lemon juise. Salt. Pepper. Some f'n thing. Crab is not meant to be eaten straight from a friggin can.

Story2:
McDonald's by my house has Happy Meals for $2 on Thursday. So my wife told the kids we could have McDonalds for dinner today. Me and the older one stop in on the way home. Drive thru too long. We go inside. We are the only ones in line. I order.

I'll have a #10.
A cheeseburger happy meal
a chicken nugget happy meal.

He asks, 4 or 6 piece. I say 6. He brings me the chocolate milks as I look at the rct cause it seemed a little high. I notice that the nigget happy meal is $4. I point that out. He tells me that the 6-piece is regular price and not $2. In essence, it means paying $2 extra for 2 nuggets. Which is silly considering a 4-pice nugget order is $1. So I tell him well I want the 4-piece happy meal befuddled that he did not point out that there was no discount on the 6 piece. So he gets the manager. Manager starts to ring up a refund(cash). As he's doing that, the dude takes one of my chocolate milks away. WTF? I tell the manager, I still want a happy meal, just the 4 piece. He tells me, the kid will ring it up and he turns around to tell him, I still want it. Kid's like " Oh, OK". Brings the milk back. Then he brings out 3 bags. 3 happy meals. Dude, I had 2 happy meals and a #10. He's puzzled. The he's like "Oh yeah. I mis read it". So he takes on back and goes to get MY food. Brings the bag back and I look in. FUUUUUUUUUUCCCCK! Not what I ordered. I ordered a NUMBER 10. Not a 10 piece nugget. Back comes the manager to ring up a refund and re-ring my order.

They need to up the drug testing at McDonald's because clearly, people are slipping thru the cracks.
Ugh!

My biggest pet peeve when I go through the drive thru is people asking "will that be all?" before I am even done talking. Seriously?! Let me take a breath and give me a chance to complete my order!

I'd like a chicken nuggets kids meal, no sauce, with French fries and chocolate mi...
Will that be all?
No, I'd also like an apple pecan chicken sal...
Will that be all?
No!

I am usually ordering food for 3 or four people and this goes on for the whole order when I go to Wendy's - every time! It's not a huge deal, but it's very annoying, esp since I know that the timer doesn't start on the order until they hit Finish.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97892 Apr 18, 2014
How to fail a drunk test... The third one is fake, but I am still laughing at how sad some people are

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97893 Apr 18, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
I borrowed a hive from my friend last year, but it was too late in the season to get bees, so I had to wait for this years allotment, which I picked up a few days ago. They come in a small little crate about the size of a shoebox with some screen on it. And today I put them in their new happy home. They seemed real excited.
I joined a local beekeepers association and I go to meetings once a month at the library and I was able to order the bees through them.
I had the veil on and didn't get stung and even took pictures of the colony and the queen. They are not aggressive like yellowjackets and hornets and wasps. It's a lot of fun and I would recommend it for anyone.
I'll bring you some updates as the season progresses and let you know how they we're doing.
That whole experience sounds totally cool.....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#97894 Apr 18, 2014
That is totally cool.
When I was a kid, I got stung 12 times by yellow jackets. Had a phobia about insects and bees in particular from then on.

But now I have some kind of flowering tree that both bees and parrots love. They are honey bees, and very docile, I can just move the branches they are on to mow under it. I have only gotten stung once, and that was when the little critter fell down my shirt and was getting squashed.

Yes, please keep us posted.
loose cannon wrote:

#97895 Apr 18, 2014
Ha! Get outta my head!
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> That whole experience sounds totally cool.....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#97896 Apr 18, 2014

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97897 Apr 18, 2014
RACE wrote:
Ha! Get outta my head!
<quoted text>
Down here, we used to buy honey from a old beekeeper, that had a farmstand, surrounded by all these orange groves....it was epic.....

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#97898 Apr 18, 2014
When I was 5 I would play with the honey bees.(Yes, I was a strange kid.) I'd get them off the flowers and take them for "rides" on the little cars and stuff we had in the sandbox. Did that many, many times.

Then finally one didn't want to take a ride and stung me.

End of playing with the honey bees.

I like bumblebees. That fat ones. They're cool looking.

#97899 Apr 18, 2014
It is scientifically impossible for a bumble bee to fly.
Toj wrote:
When I was 5 I would play with the honey bees.(Yes, I was a strange kid.) I'd get them off the flowers and take them for "rides" on the little cars and stuff we had in the sandbox. Did that many, many times.
Then finally one didn't want to take a ride and stung me.
End of playing with the honey bees.
I like bumblebees. That fat ones. They're cool looking.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97900 Apr 18, 2014
RACE wrote:
It is scientifically impossible for a bumble bee to fly.
<quoted text>
Yet they do. I see at least three a day during the summer where I am now. If they touch you they feel fuzzy. Now those are extremely docile bees.

Location hidden

#97901 Apr 18, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
In this case, I didn't get what I paid for. They shorted me two cheeseburgers.

The bee keeping thing sounds interesting.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#97902 Apr 18, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Went to mcdonalds Sat before I took my boys out fishing on the boat for the day. Had to park my SUV and boat across at tractor supply cause parking lot is kind of awkward with boat. We had a bunch of food for boat, but kids wanted something small before we launched and I hadn't eaten all day.
I tell the lady I want TWO number 2s for the kids (a number two is two cheeseburgers). I say sandwiches only. She then proceeds to ask me if I want the meal. I say no just the sandwiches (which I just told her).
Then I order a number 3 (a QP) and I say I want the meal. She keys it in and asks me if I want a meal. I say, yeah I want the meal.(I just told her that ... I think to myself wtf is this idiots problem)
She gives me my drink cup, but no receipt.
I get my drink and a minute or two later the manager has a bag and says order number x. I don't know what my order number is cause I didn't get a receipt. So I ask him, does that have 4 cheeseburgers and a QP. He says yes. I grab bag and we walk out.
Schlep back to the car and start driving away. Kids are passing out food. My one son says dad, there's only 3 sandwiches in here. They only have me 2 cheeseburgers and my QP.
I was like eff it ... I'm not turning around parking back at tractor supply and schlepping back in there ... they can just eat the food we brought with right away when we launch.
And these people wanna make $15 an hour.
not giving the cashier a pass, but i find your ordering method odd. I only use the numbers when ordering a combo. I would not say" two #2's" sadwich only". I would order "4 cheesrburger's and a qtr pounder"

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#97903 Apr 18, 2014
loose cannon wrote:
Mayor Daley II put a garden on the roof of Chicago's City Hall and included beehives. You can buy the honey produced although I am not sure if it is the guy at the Daley Center Farmers Market or the year round farm stand next to Hottix that sells it.

http://www.urbanfarmonline.com/urban-livestoc...

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/h...

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97904 Apr 18, 2014
I can deal with McDonald's, though I can't even remember the last time I went.

Subway drives me crazy b/c they talk super fast here and I swear they believe everyone goes there all the time and knows what they need to told at certain points during the ordering process.

I don't go to fast food very often.

We have little carryout spots in our building for some good restaurants that are reasonable. At home, we'll do GrubHub from time to time and get Thai, Chinese or soemtimes Indian food.

Ha! It's ordered online so I don't need the phone number.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97905 Apr 18, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>not giving the cashier a pass, but i find your ordering method odd. I only use the numbers when ordering a combo. I would not say" two #2's" sadwich only". I would order "4 cheesrburger's and a qtr pounder"
When I worked in fast food (many years ago), we put in each item individually and the computer automatically made adjustments if the items were a meal combo. If someone walked up to me and said "I want a number 3", I would have to turn around to figure out what food they were asking for. Things may have changed since then, depending on the restaurant.

So, I agree with you. I always order specifically what I want, saying either a crispy chicken sandwich or a crispy chicken sandwich meal (if I want the fries and drink).
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#97907 Apr 18, 2014
Know what bugs me about Subway?
When the people lea forward to get stuff, their shirts always rub into your sandwich! Ack.
So gross.
If you say anything, they get huffy.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#97908 Apr 18, 2014
Is it really so much trouble for you people to order a fricken burger from McDonald's?

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#97909 Apr 18, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
Is it really so much trouble for you people to order a fricken burger from McDonald's?
Haha! For the win.

Location hidden

#97910 Apr 18, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>not giving the cashier a pass, but i find your ordering method odd. I only use the numbers when ordering a combo. I would not say" two #2's" sadwich only". I would order "4 cheesrburger's and a qtr pounder"
The menu there has all the numbers and then for each number it has the price if you want the meal or just the sandwich.

I also think (not sure) a number two (2 cheese burgers) is a little less than double the cost of one cheeseburger. So I think I would pay more if I just said I want 4 cheeseburgers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 28 min Earthling-1 59,502
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 214,444
Observations 3 hr A Noted Observer 21
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr flack 1,383,257
last post wins! (Apr '13) 6 hr Retired SOF 987
Word (Dec '08) 7 hr GEORGIA 6,161
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 hr Ize Found 70,604
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages