Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#97805 Apr 16, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfectly said and worth reading every word!
Thanks.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#97806 Apr 16, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for this answer.
I tend to overthink things in my life and hate doing things "because that's what everyone does", but I think I'm finding that most people don't put as much thought into why they do things.
I would sort of resent participating in a bunch of hoopla for people who are just doing it because they're on autopilot, so yeah, I agree.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#97807 Apr 16, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfectly said and worth reading every word!
And with that endorsement, I will go back and read it.

;)

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#97808 Apr 16, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Now see there's a slippery slope.
Who's going to pay for the amputations from diabetes, medical costs for the heart attacks, and the million other things you get when you eat too many sodas, ho-hos and twinkies?
You'll have to direct that question to the dog. He's the one who wants no regulations on anything.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#97809 Apr 16, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to direct that question to the dog. He's the one who wants no regulations on anything.
Oh, I know. It was easier to reply to yours then find the Dog's.

Been busy today.

Mostly I'm doing a fly-by posting.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97810 Apr 16, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I do. I think that something needs to be done to restrict the influence that lobbyists have on Washington.
I don't think that encouraging yet another person who wants to tell people live their lives is the answer. I have the same issues with the Right-wing efforts to legislate morality. Our Founding Fathers had very lofty ideals and it is our responsibility as citizens to do our best to live up to them and see that they apply to everyone. This is a journey and as a nation we must keep trying to push forward, not backtrack.
Agreed on the lobbyist thing but that's so difficult b/c lobbyists come in all different looks.

I also don't think our forefathers could have fathomed many of today's advances nor how the world economies would be.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#97811 Apr 16, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
It's people like you and your views and your influence on the republican party that turn a lot of people off from the party and that cause a lot of people to not even take anything they say seriously..
Somehow, I doubt it
Sublime1 wrote:
If the party adopted a more libertarian view, where folks are free to make their own choices on important social issues a lot less people would be turned off from the republican party.
Would you listen to yourself? If republicans behaved more like liberals, liberals wouldn't be so turned off by them.
Sublime1 wrote:
Republicans are losing because of people like you
Republicans are not losing. They are expected to keep the House and win back the Senate this year, haven't you been paying attention?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97812 Apr 16, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
The people who were democrats and fought against those things back in the day, would all be republican today. You know this, right?
Oh, that's right, the Democrats were so upset that Republicans granted blacks civil rights, they they left the Democrat party and became Republicans

That doesn't even make sense. Pick up a history book

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97813 Apr 16, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I would congratulate any couple who finds happiness with each other and decides to make a legal commitment. I have always given a gift, but the gift that I give to a couple trying to set up their house is different from the gift that I give a couple who is trying to get their family to pay for their honeymoon registry.
Different question, then - do you and your wife have a standard wedding gift that you always give? Do you have a set dollar amount that you will spend on whatever registry item is available? Do you just give cash?
I think that when couples have lived together, had babies and already have their home and THEN get married -- having a big, traditional marriage -- it's more like 'holy crap we're really doing this paper thing' and it's a big deal to THEM. Some people see it only has a piece of paper and not worth much until they agree to actually sign the paper. The immensity of it maybe hits them.

Not sayin' whether it should or should not have hit them much, much sooner. then others probably decided to make it official to keep the extended family happy which to me is the most silliest reason to get married.

Different strokes.

On gifts, I will give more in a more pricey venue. If it's your first marriage and you are just starting out with owning very little with not much in the way of earnings, I would give a bigger gift.

If it's your third marriage and we're in their backyard with the grill going and tunes on the boombox, I'd give a little less but it still would be a nice gift.

Maybe that's wrong how I handle it but (shrug) that's what I tend to do.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97814 Apr 16, 2014
squishymama wrote:
Fine.
But you'd better have health insurance or be incredibly wealthy, because I ain't paying for your lung cancer treatments.
Fine, then I don't want to pay for your bass terd kid. I mean, women obviously can't control their sex drive, and that's why they need the government to provide them birth control and abortions

And what Toj said! If you're gonna ban smoking, then you might as well ban twinkies and soda!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#97815 Apr 16, 2014
NO!
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans are not losing. They are expected to keep the House and win back the Senate this year, haven't you been paying attention?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97816 Apr 16, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you don't try to legislate my lungs and I won't legislate your uterus?
Sorry, but should'nt we legislate to make sure her uterus does'nt earn only 77 cents, for every Dollar your lungs make?.....

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97817 Apr 16, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine, then I don't want to pay for your bass terd kid. I mean, women obviously can't control their sex drive, and that's why they need the government to provide them birth control and abortions
And what Toj said! If you're gonna ban smoking, then you might as well ban twinkies and soda!
That's not what I said. I was referring to the whole pay for your own cancer thing. Different level.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#97818 Apr 16, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Somehow, I doubt it
<quoted text>
Would you listen to yourself? If republicans behaved more like liberals, liberals wouldn't be so turned off by them.
<quoted text>
They will win back the Senate, because of Obamacare. Obamacare was the best thing that happened to republicans. Hanging your hat on winning elections because folks don't like Obamacare isn't a viable strategy long term.

As a group, younger people don't care about gays getting married. As a group older people do. Younger people are less religious than older people too. They will have to change. Society is changing. People with rigid social views from last century like you are becoming less and less common.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#97819 Apr 16, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>I think that when couples have lived together, had babies and already have their home and THEN get married -- having a big, traditional marriage -- it's more like 'holy crap we're really doing this paper thing' and it's a big deal to THEM. Some people see it only has a piece of paper and not worth much until they agree to actually sign the paper. The immensity of it maybe hits them.

Not sayin' whether it should or should not have hit them much, much sooner. then others probably decided to make it official to keep the extended family happy which to me is the most silliest reason to get married.

Different strokes.

On gifts, I will give more in a more pricey venue. If it's your first marriage and you are just starting out with owning very little with not much in the way of earnings, I would give a bigger gift.

If it's your third marriage and we're in their backyard with the grill going and tunes on the boombox, I'd give a little less but it still would be a nice gift.

Maybe that's wrong how I handle it but (shrug) that's what I tend to do.
Thank you for that explanation, too. Sometimes I just need things spelled out from people who have different life experiences, you know?
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#97820 Apr 16, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing like waiting until the last minute
Welcome to life, baby
I made 15k less, cry me a river
Do we still blame Bush or are we blaming Regan now? Maybe the Koch brothers. Who the hell's in charge now?? Maybe those dam House Republicans are to blame? I'm so confused... I'm just gonna blame whoever my leaders tell me to
I was valedictorian of the procrastination school.
The Reagan years were good to my family....
And my river is De-Nial.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#97821 Apr 16, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right to what you want with your lungs ends when what you are doing starts to affect my lungs. I think a lot of people are glad people are not allowed to smoke in their workplace.
Absolutely!
I always said you could shoot up heroin for all I care since it still won't affect me.
But that smoke travels. It is nasty.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#97822 Apr 16, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Society is changing. People with rigid social views from last century like you are becoming less and less common.
Which is why we will continue to demoralize and become a 3rd world nation in 100 years or so.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97824 Apr 16, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
They will win back the Senate, because of Obamacare.
Bllsht. They would have won back the Senate anyway even if a Republican won the presidency and repealed Owebamacare

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97825 Apr 16, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Which is why we will continue to demoralize and become a 3rd world nation in 100 years or so.
Don't worry, in a hundred years we'll all be extinct

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 min Enter 194,508
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Darren Wilson is ... 1,263,373
Song Title Game (Dec '11) 28 min boundary painter 1,197
Ask Amy July 31 30 min boundary painter 4
abby7-31-15 34 min boundary painter 4
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 35 min CDC 52,064
Fun Song Combos (Sep '12) 1 hr boundary painter 454
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages