“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#97757 Apr 16, 2014
HoneyBear1 wrote:
Good morning Chicago. Up here in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, we are supposed to get up to 10 inches of snow. Did I fall asleep and miss summer??
Due to budget cuts, spring is no longer available in the Midwest. You need to travel south

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#97759 Apr 16, 2014
Let me add my bit to the idiocy list

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/16/pf/tipping-wo...

Tipping the exterminator?

Sounds quaint, like giving the hangman a coin to do his job well.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#97760 Apr 16, 2014
Zap Brannigan wrote:
<quoted text>Did you actually read the article? It specifically stated he was being criticized by Democratic leaders for this. Also, the Democratic Party has no control over what issues private individuals decide to spend their own money on.
I didn't say he was being supported by the Dems. The Repubs didn't support the Tea Partiers, either (which is the main reason there is such a rift in the GOP).

The Democratic Party feels pretty strongly that individuals should not be allowed to spend so much of their money on political issues.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97761 Apr 16, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>He is only challenging the NRA's firm grip on Congress.....not quite the same thing, do you think?....
The second amendment is part of our Constitution and while I don't always agree with the NRA, they have a right to their views. He is not just challenging the NRA's affect on Congress, he is spending a lot of money in an effort to limit the rights of American citizens.

I don't know how familiar y'all are with Michael Bloomberg's terms as Mayor of NYC. He thinks that he knows more than his constituents and it is his responsibility to make lifestyle decisions for them. He tried to ban the sale of sodas and other sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces in NYC.

We cannot allow the government or the wealthy to take away our freedom of choice and our rights.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97762 Apr 16, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Let me add my bit to the idiocy list

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/16/pf/tipping-wo...

Tipping the exterminator?

Sounds quaint, like giving the hangman a coin to do his job well.
They make a decent argument for tipping your regular exterminator, but the dry cleaner?!

A relative recently asked if they were supposed to tip the labor and delivery nurses. I think it has gotten way out of hand.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#97764 Apr 16, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The second amendment is part of our Constitution and while I don't always agree with the NRA, they have a right to their views. He is not just challenging the NRA's affect on Congress, he is spending a lot of money in an effort to limit the rights of American citizens.
I don't know how familiar y'all are with Michael Bloomberg's terms as Mayor of NYC. He thinks that he knows more than his constituents and it is his responsibility to make lifestyle decisions for them. He tried to ban the sale of sodas and other sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces in NYC.
We cannot allow the government or the wealthy to take away our freedom of choice and our rights.
Do you have any idea how much the NRA spends on lobbying?

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#97765 Apr 16, 2014

#97766 Apr 16, 2014
Do you have any idea where the NRA gets it money?
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any idea how much the NRA spends on lobbying?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97767 Apr 16, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have any idea how much the NRA spends on lobbying?

I do. I think that something needs to be done to restrict the influence that lobbyists have on Washington.

I don't think that encouraging yet another person who wants to tell people live their lives is the answer. I have the same issues with the Right-wing efforts to legislate morality. Our Founding Fathers had very lofty ideals and it is our responsibility as citizens to do our best to live up to them and see that they apply to everyone. This is a journey and as a nation we must keep trying to push forward, not backtrack.

“Your life is what you make it.”

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#97768 Apr 16, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Due to budget cuts, spring is no longer available in the Midwest. You need to travel south
LMAO!!! That was funny. Thanks for the laugh. Maybe Father time needs to give ol Mother Nature a little nookie. Lol. Something my cousin said on FB, also hilarious.. "Dear Mother Nature, until you acknowledge that it is spring, you will be known as Mother, something else."

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#97769 Apr 16, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
They make a decent argument for tipping your regular exterminator, but the dry cleaner?!
A relative recently asked if they were supposed to tip the labor and delivery nurses. I think it has gotten way out of hand.
waiters at a sit down restaurant.
Batenders.
Pizza delivery guy.

That's it.

F you and your tip jar at a sandwich shop.
Put your hand back in your pocket as i walk into he hotel. I don't require he services of a doorman.
Valet schmalet. Just direct me to the self-park parking lot.
No thanks. My luggage has rollers on them. I can get them to my room without help.
Tip you for delivering my fridge? Take it out of the $40 delivery charge I already paid.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97770 Apr 16, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>waiters at a sit down restaurant.
Batenders.
Pizza delivery guy.

That's it.

F you and your tip jar at a sandwich shop.
Put your hand back in your pocket as i walk into he hotel. I don't require he services of a doorman.
Valet schmalet. Just direct me to the self-park parking lot.
No thanks. My luggage has rollers on them. I can get them to my room without help.
Tip you for delivering my fridge? Take it out of the $40 delivery charge I already paid.
My least favorite is the attendant in the bathroom. WTF?!

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#97771 Apr 16, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
This is a journey and as a nation we must keep trying to push forward, not backtrack.
Is allowing citizens to carry firearms a move forward, or backward?

And making laws on morality is done all the time. Actually it's a liberal movement, not a conservative one
Zap Brannigan

United States

#97772 Apr 16, 2014
Here is your original post.

"Is this news anywhere else? Isn't this exactly what the Democrats have been demonizing the Koch brothers for when they financed the Tea Party? I don't support either movement, but I hate hypocrisy."

Exactly whose hypocisy are you talking about? Quit being an edog, you're better than that.
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say he was being supported by the Dems. The Repubs didn't support the Tea Partiers, either (which is the main reason there is such a rift in the GOP).
The Democratic Party feels pretty strongly that individuals should not be allowed to spend so much of their money on political issues.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97773 Apr 16, 2014
Ok, I need people to give me some new perspectives. I'm not trying to judge, just don't understand where some people are coming from.

If a couple is living together for several years and has completely commingled their lives, what is the purpose of having a formal, traditional wedding? Especially when there are already children involved, this kind of rubs me the wrong way. They are not combining their families, because that would have already been done over the years. It is not a big change in their lives, because at that point it is just legalizing the way they have already chosen to live. Do you change the gift you give in this situation?

Am I just jaded because I hate weddings and spending ridiculous amounts of money for one day?
Zap Brannigan

United States

#97775 Apr 16, 2014
So the Christian Fundamentalists that are the base of the Republican Party are actually liberal Democrats?
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And making laws on morality is done all the time. Actually it's a liberal movement, not a conservative one

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97776 Apr 16, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Is allowing citizens to carry firearms a move forward, or backward?

Many conservatives have a very narrow view of morality. They attempt to make laws restricting other's freedoms.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#97778 Apr 16, 2014
HoneyBear1 wrote:
<quoted text> LMAO!!! That was funny. Thanks for the laugh. Maybe Father time needs to give ol Mother Nature a little nookie. Lol. Something my cousin said on FB, also hilarious.. "Dear Mother Nature, until you acknowledge that it is spring, you will be known as Mother, something else."
Persephone is too busy getting her freak on with Hades to notice it's supposed to be spring.

#97779 Apr 16, 2014
My question is why do you care that they want a traditional wedding?
I would not care, I would just figure, that's what they want, and its their wedding, and would put no more thought into it than that.

Being a guy is great.

ScarletandOlive wrote:
Ok, I need people to give me some new perspectives. I'm not trying to judge, just don't understand where some people are coming from.
If a couple is living together for several years and has completely commingled their lives, what is the purpose of having a formal, traditional wedding? Especially when there are already children involved, this kind of rubs me the wrong way. They are not combining their families, because that would have already been done over the years. It is not a big change in their lives, because at that point it is just legalizing the way they have already chosen to live. Do you change the gift you give in this situation?
Am I just jaded because I hate weddings and spending ridiculous amounts of money for one day?

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#97781 Apr 16, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Many conservatives have a very narrow view of morality. They attempt to make laws restricting other's freedoms.
Like giving black's civil rights, women the right to vote, citizens the right to conceal carry? Those freedoms?

It was democrats who attempted to ban soft drinks, democrats who banned smoking, democrats who require me to wear my seatbelt... in the back seat, democrats who demand I must buy health insurance, democrats who want to limit how much I give to a candidate

How can you say it's the REPUBLICANS who want to limit freedoms and keep a straight face?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Guru 187,819
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min THE DEVIL 1,224,010
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min zion 53,025
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 36 min TRD 69,794
College Scandals 4 hr music 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 6 hr Red_Forman 5,947
Word (Dec '08) 6 hr Red_Forman 5,211
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]