95,481 - 95,500 of 97,934 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#97281 Mar 28, 2014
You are the master...
Toj wrote:
her = here
And there's probably other typos but it's Friday and I don't care.

Neda, stay with me!

#97282 Mar 28, 2014
?This is babble.... You agree with me, but somehow I am wrong??? splain please
I only said the teacher was supposed to te focus of a classroom. H ow am I off base with that?
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Duh, it's the teacher. But my response is your naivete that adolescents focus on what they are supposed to. Don't you know? Every child is ADHD?!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#97285 Mar 29, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97286 Mar 29, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
You really do live in a different world. She agreed with everything Scarlet said, who agreed with Race. You're on an island alone.
So let me get this straight

You don't think the school should get involved with the going-on's of their students, but when a teenager gets bullied and kills themself, you blame the school for not taking action.

Do I have that right?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#97287 Mar 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>So let me get this straight

You don't think the school should get involved with the going-on's of their students, but when a teenager gets bullied and kills themself, you blame the school for not taking action.

Do I have that right?
If someone is being bullied in school, then the school has a responsibility to maintain a safe environment for all students and enforce the code of conduct.

As mandatory reporters, they should inform the authorities if they are aware of abuse (including bullying) that is taking place off school grounds.

They should NOT suspend or otherwise punish students for their behavior away from school. That is up to the parents and the police.

The only exception that I am okay with are morals clauses for extracurricular events. My high school had a rule that if you were caught drinking alcohol or using illegal drugs, you were suspended from the team. Playing football is a privilege, having access to an education is a right.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#97288 Mar 29, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
If someone is being bullied in school, then the school has a responsibility to maintain a safe environment for all students and enforce the code of conduct.
As mandatory reporters, they should inform the authorities if they are aware of abuse (including bullying) that is taking place off school grounds.
They should NOT suspend or otherwise punish students for their behavior away from school. That is up to the parents and the police.
The only exception that I am okay with are morals clauses for extracurricular events. My high school had a rule that if you were caught drinking alcohol or using illegal drugs, you were suspended from the team. Playing football is a privilege, having access to an education is a right.
So what do you think of the Northwestern University football players wanting to form a union?
Two comments I heard that made me think about this:

First was that the college guys are exposed to the same risks as NFL players and have no medical insurance or long term protection for injuries

The second , and I guess more obvious point is that the universities use their talents and playing to generate large amounts of revenue for which the players are not compensated at all and based on the NCAA rules can't take funds or goods.

Sounds like the people who gave Oculus money on kickstarter complaining about not sharing in te profits from the sale to FB.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#97289 Mar 29, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
So what do you think of the Northwestern University football players wanting to form a union?
Absolutely ridiculous. True they're not getting paid but they're also getting a free education. And they were just as much at risk for injury playing high school football. They should be in it for the passion, not the paycheck

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#97290 Mar 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this straight
Do I have that right?
Nope. But that's not surprising.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97291 Mar 29, 2014
PEllen wrote:
The second , and I guess more obvious point is that the universities use their talents and playing to generate large amounts of revenue for which the players are not compensated at all and based on the NCAA rules can't take funds or goods.
I am not against players being able to make some money off their name(endorsements, etc), but to say that players are not compensated at all is false.

That scholarship is worth a hole hell of a lot.
I just randomly checked Ohio State.
Yearly room & board & tuition & fees is over $20K a year.
For out of state students, tack on another $15k.

Athletes get the nutritionists, workout coaches, meals, etc toward making them better at their chosen sport. Things that benefit the university, no doubt, but also that benefit the athlete in his quest to make it to the next level.

By no means m I saying that players re bunch of whiners, quite the contrary. But to say they are not compensated is far from the truth. Even if they never make it to the pros, the benefit of getting a degree without going $100k in debt seems pretty valuable to me.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97292 Mar 29, 2014
Additionally, I was not aware of the bleak medical insurance situation college athletes face. If the colleges and NCAA were doing their job, trying to protect the athletes, there would be no need to unionize to get medical insurance taken care of.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#97293 Mar 29, 2014
I agree with Tonka.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97295 Mar 29, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
That scholarship is worth a hole hell of a lot.
and its worth a whole hell of a lot, too.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97297 Mar 29, 2014
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have your legal mind but, I think the universities can get around it by deeming them unpaid interns.
The potentiality of a job in the NFL is a pretty good carrot to dangle. I saw a cartoon today that noted that, though the NCAA makes billions, they're not exactly a business. How genius is that?
Unions don't form when te employer has thought about key items and addressed them. Call the players interns or whatever you like, there majority of them don't o on to the NFL or the CFL. Relatively few seem to have the brains like the NU guy who organized this in the first pace. I have seen varying number but there is a relatively low graduation rate for football scholarship guys.

Granted the examples are from basketball not football, there have been some wel publicized instances where a kid graduated from a name brand college, turned pro and then it was discovered he had a 2nd grade reading level.

That one came out of Creighton a few years back.

The disparity of the university making large amounts f money and the kids getting problematic value from their experience coupled with the long term medical residuals- yeah, I can see why they would want to do something.

Have you an alternative to address those concerns?

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97298 Mar 29, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Have you an alternative to address those concerns?
Yeah, keep the status quo. Players know going in they have a slim chance of making it to the pros. Maybe they should major in something besides a worthless degree such as communications or dog grooming. They're also well aware of the physical risks associated with playing football. But they make that choice. Same as construction or concrete workers or anyone who takes on a physically demanding job. They have access to healthcare while in school, it's part of their tuition, AFTER you graduate, hey, your healthcare is your own business.
The only reason I can see for them to unionize is greed. They want a free education, free housing, free healthcare, AND a paycheck.

Unions have run Illinois into a 90 billion dollar deficit. If there's one thing Illinois needs, it's more unions. <sarcasm>

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97299 Mar 29, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>So what do you think of the Northwestern University football players wanting to form a union?
Two comments I heard that made me think about this:

First was that the college guys are exposed to the same risks as NFL players and have no medical insurance or long term protection for injuries

Sounds like the people who gave Oculus money on kickstarter complaining about not sharing in te profits from the sale to FB.
College students can stay on their parents' insurance until 26.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97300 Mar 29, 2014
Oh my god, dog wrote almost everything I was going to say in response to PEllen.

Has Hell frozen over?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97301 Mar 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, keep the status quo. Players know going in they have a slim chance of making it to the pros. Maybe they should major in something besides a worthless degree such as communications or dog grooming. They're also well aware of the physical risks associated with playing football. But they make that choice. Same as construction or concrete workers or anyone who takes on a physically demanding job. They have access to healthcare while in school, it's part of their tuition, AFTER you graduate, hey, your healthcare is your own business.
The only reason I can see for them to unionize is greed. They want a free education, free housing, free healthcare, AND a paycheck.
Unions have run Illinois into a 90 billion dollar deficit. If there's one thing Illinois needs, it's more unions. <sarcasm>
I don't disagree that unions have caused problems in state government including Illinois , but the funding is different.

Of an almni booster group wants a winning team they can cough up more money. That is different than wanting o offer social services now and askin involuntray group of taxpayers to cough up more money.

BTW, undergrads have to pay for medical insurance unless the parents can produce a certificate showing they are covered under someone else's plan. We have dealt with that with my daughters. The medical insurance offered through the school is less than bare bones and was not cheap.. There was no choices- you got what the college contracted for. And if you withdrew for a semester, say for a torn ACL surgery, you lose the medical coverage because you are not an active student. And what do you get in return? The satisfaction of being on the varsity squad for which the NCAA prohibits you from getting squat.

Neda, stay with me!

#97302 Mar 29, 2014
And besides...
It's Tradition!
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97304 Mar 29, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Has Hell frozen over?
Given the weather lately, it's not unlikely
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#97306 Mar 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, keep the status quo. Players know going in they have a slim chance of making it to the pros. Maybe they should major in something besides a worthless degree such as communications or dog grooming.
Hey now--any good football player worth his salt majors in basket weaving.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min PDUPONT 1,100,231
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 10 min wojar 177,388
Video Will The U.S Lead The World Into Nuclear ... 17 min Hell Yes 1
Diversity is a codeword for white genocide 1 hr 587uioy 1
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr Anonymous 68,991
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Brian_G 46,316
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 3 hr SLY WEST 299
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••