“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#97300 Mar 29, 2014
Oh my god, dog wrote almost everything I was going to say in response to PEllen.

Has Hell frozen over?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#97301 Mar 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, keep the status quo. Players know going in they have a slim chance of making it to the pros. Maybe they should major in something besides a worthless degree such as communications or dog grooming. They're also well aware of the physical risks associated with playing football. But they make that choice. Same as construction or concrete workers or anyone who takes on a physically demanding job. They have access to healthcare while in school, it's part of their tuition, AFTER you graduate, hey, your healthcare is your own business.
The only reason I can see for them to unionize is greed. They want a free education, free housing, free healthcare, AND a paycheck.
Unions have run Illinois into a 90 billion dollar deficit. If there's one thing Illinois needs, it's more unions. <sarcasm>
I don't disagree that unions have caused problems in state government including Illinois , but the funding is different.

Of an almni booster group wants a winning team they can cough up more money. That is different than wanting o offer social services now and askin involuntray group of taxpayers to cough up more money.

BTW, undergrads have to pay for medical insurance unless the parents can produce a certificate showing they are covered under someone else's plan. We have dealt with that with my daughters. The medical insurance offered through the school is less than bare bones and was not cheap.. There was no choices- you got what the college contracted for. And if you withdrew for a semester, say for a torn ACL surgery, you lose the medical coverage because you are not an active student. And what do you get in return? The satisfaction of being on the varsity squad for which the NCAA prohibits you from getting squat.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#97302 Mar 29, 2014
And besides...
It's Tradition!
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, keep the status quo. Players know going in they have a slim chance of making it to the pros. Maybe they should major in something besides a worthless degree such as communications or dog grooming. They're also well aware of the physical risks associated with playing football. But they make that choice. Same as construction or concrete workers or anyone who takes on a physically demanding job. They have access to healthcare while in school, it's part of their tuition, AFTER you graduate, hey, your healthcare is your own business.
The only reason I can see for them to unionize is greed. They want a free education, free housing, free healthcare, AND a paycheck.
Unions have run Illinois into a 90 billion dollar deficit. If there's one thing Illinois needs, it's more unions. <sarcasm>

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#97304 Mar 29, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Has Hell frozen over?
Given the weather lately, it's not unlikely
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#97306 Mar 29, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, keep the status quo. Players know going in they have a slim chance of making it to the pros. Maybe they should major in something besides a worthless degree such as communications or dog grooming.
Hey now--any good football player worth his salt majors in basket weaving.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#97307 Mar 30, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, keep the status quo. Players know going in they have a slim chance of making it to the pros. Maybe they should major in something besides a worthless degree such as communications or dog grooming. They're also well aware of the physical risks associated with playing football. But they make that choice. Same as construction or concrete workers or anyone who takes on a physically demanding job. They have access to healthcare while in school, it's part of their tuition, AFTER you gradu kmate, hey, your healthcare is your own business.
The football player that organized this wanted to be pre-med but had to quit because the football got in the way of his studies.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#97308 Mar 30, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The football player that organized this wanted to be pre-med but had to quit because the football got in the way of his studies.
Then maybe he should have "tackled" another major? Ha, get it? Tackled?
Or given up football

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97309 Mar 30, 2014
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TIBGP3PIAC...

Abby for 3-30-14

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TR3S6H69BQ...

Amy for 3-30-14

(Is anyone there, there , there??..... echoing into the ethernet....)

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97310 Mar 30, 2014
The group forgot LAST Sunday, too.

Here is Amy for March 23.
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T1B6A2SC0D...

This is Abby for March 23, 2014

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TPE8RSN45H...

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#97312 Mar 31, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree but you would not believe the parents who take stuff that happens outside of school to our prin/district, thinking we should conrol all kids' behavior based on that.
Schools can't win.
Yes. They can simply tell those idiotic parents that it is a home matter and not a school matter. The problem is they are bowing to one parent over another where they have no business. I see the problem with some schools of not using simple logic.

"Sorry ma'am that you are going through this with your son but this sounds to me like a parental matter. I suggest you take it up with the other parent."

That's all they had to say.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97313 Mar 31, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
So he chose football over premed.

I think they need to get rules about how much football can intrude in student's studies instead of supporting the schools ridiculous notion that they are in the football business. It is a money raising thing for the schools simply put. I can see the athletes' position; however, the way it stands now. THAT should change, not the players unionizing.

If they're "working" should they have to pay back their student loans?

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97314 Mar 31, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with a lot of what you say except that they're in it only for the money. They are probably taken advantage of very much so. I understand how the players would want to unionize but I think instead of unionizing, the schools need to change how they deal with the athletes across the board.

#97315 Mar 31, 2014
Ha, was researching something about the rush song Heresy and came across this little factiod. While some rappers cant go 4 words without swearing, it seems that out of a total of 171 entire songs, RUSH has but 4 potentially offensive lines.
This is one of only four songs by Rush which contains potentially offensive language: "All the crap we had to take". The other three are "Dog Years" from the album Test for Echo, in which Geddy sings "For every sad son of a bitch"; the third song is The Pass from the album Presto, containing the line "Christ, what have you done?"; and the fourth song is "Neurotica", also from Roll the Bones: "Snap! Hide in your shell, let the world go to hell...".

Evanston IL

#97316 Mar 31, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then maybe he should have "tackled" another major? Ha, get it? Tackled?
Or given up football
So you get to be smart OR athletic, but not both.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97317 Mar 31, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm basically pro-union but not for schools. I believe the colleges on the whole need to rework their athletic programs to be more student friendly instead of making academics take a back seat to athletics. They could have a thriving athletic program without taking away the student in the athletes but only if they do it conference wide and countrywide in the rules and regs.

#97318 Mar 31, 2014
a college degree does not mean your smart, only that you have demonstrated the ability to learn.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97320 Mar 31, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
He is an especially smart young guy....these players main complaint is that, since the NCAA and Universitys make such an incredible profit, and demonstrate incredible greed in not protecting the players, especially after their use in football is over. The players need some type of insurance from the schools, in order to cover the lingering and lifelong injuries, produced by the motion and contact of the sport.....These schools are making a fortune off these kids, and the players just deserve better protection.....

Evanston IL

#97321 Mar 31, 2014
RACE wrote:
a college degree does not mean your smart, only that you have demonstrated the ability to learn.
<quoted text>
I was specifically responding to the dog saying that the former pre-med/football player who organized this thing at Northwestern should have to pick an easy major OR play football, but no way should he think that he could get a first-class pre-med degree from one of our country's elite schools AND play football. Doesn't he know what's more important?

I think someone even said it here, MOST of these college players will not go on to a professional athletic career and I thnk they should be able to pursue their academic field of choice AND play a sport.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97322 Mar 31, 2014

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97323 Mar 31, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means you have mastered the ability to figure out what tasks are needed to reach a goal and then do what is necessary to fulfill those tasks.

It could be a 144 word paper for a Lit class after looking at Cliff's Notes, showing up in the 10 a.m. Survey of American Internet class or Overview of Arithmetic

The kids who get college paid by an athletic scholarship may or may not be smart, may or may not learn anything and may or may not have any skills with which to earn a living either in the first 10 years out of college(during peak professional sports capability) or when their bodies give out. In the meantime the college and university has reaped a large amount of money by using them.

It is the disparity which is the basis of the movement.

Address the disparity in a real life manner and the unionization movement goes away

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min positronium 1,173,887
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 9 min Analog man 5,380
Word (Dec '08) 32 min guest 4,967
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 37 min loose cannon 183,903
Out of Towner 46 min CheekyKeeky 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr IB DaMann 50,454
Jyoti 1 hr Jyoog 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:04 am PST

NFL10:04AM
Richardson was suspended for two Colts playoff games