Topix Chitown Regulars

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#97315 Mar 31, 2014
Ha, was researching something about the rush song Heresy and came across this little factiod. While some rappers cant go 4 words without swearing, it seems that out of a total of 171 entire songs, RUSH has but 4 potentially offensive lines.
This is one of only four songs by Rush which contains potentially offensive language: "All the crap we had to take". The other three are "Dog Years" from the album Test for Echo, in which Geddy sings "For every sad son of a bitch"; the third song is The Pass from the album Presto, containing the line "Christ, what have you done?"; and the fourth song is "Neurotica", also from Roll the Bones: "Snap! Hide in your shell, let the world go to hell...".

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#97316 Mar 31, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Then maybe he should have "tackled" another major? Ha, get it? Tackled?
Or given up football
So you get to be smart OR athletic, but not both.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#97317 Mar 31, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm basically pro-union but not for schools. I believe the colleges on the whole need to rework their athletic programs to be more student friendly instead of making academics take a back seat to athletics. They could have a thriving athletic program without taking away the student in the athletes but only if they do it conference wide and countrywide in the rules and regs.

#97318 Mar 31, 2014
a college degree does not mean your smart, only that you have demonstrated the ability to learn.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97320 Mar 31, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
The football player that organized this wanted to be pre-med but had to quit because the football got in the way of his studies.
He is an especially smart young guy....these players main complaint is that, since the NCAA and Universitys make such an incredible profit, and demonstrate incredible greed in not protecting the players, especially after their use in football is over. The players need some type of insurance from the schools, in order to cover the lingering and lifelong injuries, produced by the motion and contact of the sport.....These schools are making a fortune off these kids, and the players just deserve better protection.....

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#97321 Mar 31, 2014
RACE wrote:
a college degree does not mean your smart, only that you have demonstrated the ability to learn.
<quoted text>
I was specifically responding to the dog saying that the former pre-med/football player who organized this thing at Northwestern should have to pick an easy major OR play football, but no way should he think that he could get a first-class pre-med degree from one of our country's elite schools AND play football. Doesn't he know what's more important?

I think someone even said it here, MOST of these college players will not go on to a professional athletic career and I thnk they should be able to pursue their academic field of choice AND play a sport.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#97322 Mar 31, 2014

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97323 Mar 31, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means you have mastered the ability to figure out what tasks are needed to reach a goal and then do what is necessary to fulfill those tasks.

It could be a 144 word paper for a Lit class after looking at Cliff's Notes, showing up in the 10 a.m. Survey of American Internet class or Overview of Arithmetic

The kids who get college paid by an athletic scholarship may or may not be smart, may or may not learn anything and may or may not have any skills with which to earn a living either in the first 10 years out of college(during peak professional sports capability) or when their bodies give out. In the meantime the college and university has reaped a large amount of money by using them.

It is the disparity which is the basis of the movement.

Address the disparity in a real life manner and the unionization movement goes away

#97324 Mar 31, 2014
Whats for figure out? They give you a schedule of what classes to take, when to take them, and the order in which to do so....Not a whole lot of cranial activity required to basically follow a recipe.

So you follow the recipe, and assimilate just enough knowledge long enough to pass the academic requirements IE LEARN! Bingo, your a graduate.

So, I stand by my ascertain that all's the person has done is proven they CAN learn, not that they HAVE learned.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it means you have mastered the ability to figure out what tasks are needed to reach a goal and then do what is necessary to fulfill those tasks.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#97325 Mar 31, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Most teachers are sympathetic to the sports players and will grant them leeway. But if they can't swing both, they need to pick one

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#97328 Mar 31, 2014
RACE wrote:
Whats for figure out? They give you a schedule of what classes to take, when to take them, and the order in which to do so....Not a whole lot of cranial activity required to basically follow a recipe.
So you follow the recipe, and assimilate just enough knowledge long enough to pass the academic requirements IE LEARN! Bingo, your a graduate.
So, I stand by my ascertain that all's the person has done is proven they CAN learn, not that they HAVE learned.
<quoted text>
Obviously, if you can make your way through the application process and find your way to a university, you CAN learn.

What I feel universities do is teach students how to analyze on a higher level. Critical thinking is important.

#97329 Mar 31, 2014
Hence, my higher level critical thinking impairment
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, if you can make your way through the application process and find your way to a university, you CAN learn.
What I feel universities do is teach students how to analyze on a higher level. Critical thinking is important.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#97331 Mar 31, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
What college did you go to, Race?

At my level, a prof said, "You have already proven you're smart; right now it's just fortitude." Gosh was she right!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97332 Mar 31, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
What college did you go to, Race?
Stop teasing the man. We all know he flunked out at third grade and never went back. "Smart" is a relative term. Albert Einstein would get lost walking around his block, yet he unlocked the secrets of the universe.

You learn just as much by living. I'm smarter now than I was ten years ago and I've never gotten a higher education. Ask yourself, are you smarter for teaching kids for the last ten years, or from taking courses for the last couple?

Not to impugn you advancing your career, good for you and I'm proud of you, but I think you know that having to do all that is just an inessential formality

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97334 Apr 1, 2014

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#97335 Apr 1, 2014
Good morning! Anyone have realistic prank suggestions that my kids can play on their father?

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#97336 Apr 1, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Good morning! Anyone have realistic prank suggestions that my kids can play on their father?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikespohr/awesome-apr...

These are pranks adults play on kids but might give you some ideas

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97337 Apr 1, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
Dork.
I fart in your general direction

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#97338 Apr 1, 2014

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#97339 Apr 1, 2014
Haha! Thanks for starting the day off right, edog.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Yeah 1,263,144
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 19 min Dr Guru 194,461
Opportunity knocks at the door only once. 20 min Q372725176 degree 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Mothra 54,345
Cheap Kitchen Cabinets Door For Sale UK 1 hr drisa22 1
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 70,142
abby7-30-15 4 hr mrs gladys kravitz 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages