Topix Chitown Regulars
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#97182 Mar 26, 2014
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>Considering how common the whole "shaving my head to support my friend on chemo" has become it is ridiculous that they have it in their rules. Heck, I've seen stories on the new dozens of times about principals or teachers doing just that to support a kid or other teacher/admin person going through chemo.
We did it last year for a teacher.
It was probably on the books from long ago and they decide to get picky on that.
And then you have the other spectrum, schools like mine, which have things on the books and ignore too many so you have kids with purple mohawks, pants to their knees, girls wearing tights as pants without butts covered *shudder*, too many piercings, etc...

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#97183 Mar 26, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
ignore too many so you have kids with ...pants to their knees.
?? What's wrong with that? Does your school not allow shorts? I went to catholic school, so we had a uniform, but my kids go to public school and shorts is the norm, weather permitting

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97184 Mar 26, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
but I don't believe that the parents and the student were ignorant of the no buzz cuts rule.
In most scenarios in life, I am more willing to believe ignorance and apathy than deliberate acts.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97185 Mar 26, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
What kind of spouse does not go to a single OB/Gyn appointment to see a sonogram or hear the heartbeats?
I went to one for each kid, but really, I don't feel like I would have missed much had I not. Seeing a blur pulsing on the screen didn't really leave any lasting effect on me. Seeing the sonogram printout was the only real memorable part of that and you don't need to be present for it.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#97186 Mar 26, 2014
I dont see a mohawk as being anymore distraction than a bald head or a head with golden flowing locks...
The teacher is supposed to be the focus of the room, not some headwear.
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh....I'm an educator and we have rules but I don't think these blanklet B&W approaches are working.
We had a teacher fighr cancer last year and they shaved his head on the morning show. Several teachers did in support. It wasn't a distraction.
The kid who comes with a 2 foot high purple mohawk is a distraction.
Same with 0 tolerance......0 common sense.

#97187 Mar 26, 2014
Oh boo-hoo!
It's RACE not racist, and I never pretended to know or not know anybody, so just what is your point? Right, you dont have one, so just STFU and go away.
You spend days whining about how nobody gives you a chance, so I shut up and let you hang yourself and you still blame me.
Pathetic.
Department Of Corrections wrote:
<quoted text>Two things" It's "Ferrerman" and it's a little late for you to pretend you don't know "Angelique".

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#97188 Mar 26, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>?? What's wrong with that? Does your school not allow shorts? I went to catholic school, so we had a uniform, but my kids go to public school and shorts is the norm, weather permitting
I think she meant that the waist of the pants was located at the knee.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#97189 Mar 27, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#97190 Mar 27, 2014

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#97191 Mar 27, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I went to one for each kid, but really, I don't feel like I would have missed much had I not. Seeing a blur pulsing on the screen didn't really leave any lasting effect on me. Seeing the sonogram printout was the only real memorable part of that and you don't need to be present for it.
But you went for each kid. You and your wife were a team.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97192 Mar 27, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
But you went for each kid. You and your wife were a team.
I can't hold it against the dude for not attending all voluntary team meetings.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#97193 Mar 27, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I can't hold it against the dude for not attending all voluntary team meetings.
I suspect she encouraged him not to attend the doctor's appointments...because there were none and that would have blown her story. She is clearly a very ill lady.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97194 Mar 27, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I suspect she encouraged him not to attend the doctor's appointments...because there were none and that would have blown her story. She is clearly a very ill lady.
That's a good point. With us, my wife was in the driver's seat as far as the medical side of her pregnancies. If she never said, "I have an appt this thu and they're gonna do a sonogram. Are you gonna come?", I likely would never have thought about it or brought it up on my own

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97196 Mar 27, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>I suspect she encouraged him not to attend the doctor's appointments...because there were none and that would have blown her story. She is clearly a very ill lady.
My husband would have been suspicious if I never asked him to come with me to an appointment.

Plus, with quints there would have come a time when she was so big that she couldn't drive. Either the husband is completely clueless or he was so desperate that he ignored a lot of red flags.

The woman needs help, but I have no sympathy for the man in this situation.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#97197 Mar 27, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband would have been suspicious if I never asked him to come with me to an appointment.
Plus, with quints there would have come a time when she was so big that she couldn't drive. Either the husband is completely clueless or he was so desperate that he ignored a lot of red flags.
The woman needs help, but I have no sympathy for the man in this situation.
What I find fascinating is that she did get big and people with this psychological ailment do. The 'net explained it (okay -- WebMD) is b/c it is the pituitary gland that controls it.

They said: "The hallmark sign of pseudocyesis that is common to all cases is that the affected patient is convinced that she is pregnant. Abdominal distension is the most common physical symptom of pseudocyesis (6090%). The abdomen expands in the same manner as it does during pregnancy, so that the affected woman looks pregnant. These symptoms often resolve under general anesthesia and the woman's abdomen returns to its normal size."

Very weird.

#97198 Mar 27, 2014
TMI if you ask me!
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Very weird.

#97200 Mar 27, 2014
I cant believe the school did this. I would not have settled for only 70k
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/scho...

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#97202 Mar 27, 2014
RACE wrote:
If the school officials had a real concern, why wouldn't they call in the parents and have a sit-down? It's because they didn't. That's just creepy what they did. The sheriff was there to intimidate.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#97203 Mar 27, 2014
RACE wrote:
There are so many things wrong with what the school did! First, they say that they are worried about cyber bullying, but nowhere does it say that she was accused of it.

Also, the mother of the boy was totally out of line when she called the school about the girl. If she didn't like the conversations, then she could have deleted her son's account or blocked the girl. Instead, she tried to get another child in trouble for something that her son participated in.

I agree that this school wasn't the right one for this girl, but think that homeschooling sends the wrong message. Surely, there were other schools she could have transferred to. Keeping her home does not teach her to stand up for herself or how to develop interpersonal skills, it teaches her to hide when things get tough.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#97205 Mar 27, 2014
RACE wrote:
I really don't see the big deal. She was accused of bullying, and the school and law investigated. So she was "embarrassed," boohoo, show me a teenager who isn't. Now she gets her college paid for?? I wish someone would embarrass me so I could get 70k

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Doctor disciplined for allegedly chastising Chi... (Jul '09) 14 min pailrider 161
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 45 min Red_Forman 6,434
Word (Dec '08) 45 min Red_Forman 5,429
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 50 min IBdaMann 54,549
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 50 min Nostrilis Waxman 1,277,192
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Joe Balls 196,955
News Arrests made after Two-Month burglary Spree in ... 5 hr fedupcracker 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages