Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97140 Mar 26, 2014
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>I guess I missed whatever happened?
Read the source article post #97129.....

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#97141 Mar 26, 2014
I dont believe their was any policy about shaving your hair off.(but I could be wrong) I think the problem was the interpretation of the policy of not allowing anything distracting, and the person decided that being bald was"distracting". So, no the kid not break the rules, the adult is just stupid.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that a school should not dictate the length of a students hair. However, that is school policy, agreed on by the school board. If the student did indeed violate school policy, then I have to agree with the school's actions. Do we teach our kids to follow the rules or not? Only follow rules you agree with? That's just more hypocrisy. I'm on the school's side here.

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#97142 Mar 26, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Read the source article post #97129.....
Ok thanks!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#97143 Mar 26, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that a school should not dictate the length of a students hair. However, that is school policy, agreed on by the school board. If the student did indeed violate school policy, then I have to agree with the school's actions. Do we teach our kids to follow the rules or not? Only follow rules you agree with? That's just more hypocrisy. I'm on the school's side here.
No. Not hypocrisy. You use common sense. Everything is not black/white even if you think so.

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#97144 Mar 26, 2014
Toj wrote:
Why zero tolerance policies don't work:
http://parade.condenast.com/274479/ashleighsc...
That's absurd!

It's like ... freedom of speech still has limitations.

They'll claim "but it's ZERO policy!", but if it's done for the right reasons then and under certain circumstances it should be allowed!

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#97145 Mar 26, 2014
ok dog, went back and read articl provided. Apparently shaved heads are banned. So kudos for the kid for
"fighting da man"

The article I read did not mention that specifically

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#97148 Mar 26, 2014
RACE wrote:
ok dog, went back and read articl provided. Apparently shaved heads are banned. So kudos for the kid for
"fighting da man"
The article I read did not mention that specifically
Wonder about the merit of that rule....as most shaved heads on children, would indicate cancer treatments....

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#97149 Mar 26, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
God, I hate when I agree with you. <gollum, gollum>

The child should have been told that if she wants to shave her head, she would have to accept the discipline, whatever that may be. They could have then worked with the school board to change the rules going forward. Instead, they threw an adult-sized version of a temper tantrum.

I've been working on gathering numbers together for the grievances we deal with on a daily basis, putting them in catagories so the higher-ups could see what the most common problems are. We are seriously considering using a catagory called "pouty pants" and this situtation would fall squarely into it.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#97150 Mar 26, 2014
RACE wrote:
I dont believe their was any policy about shaving your hair off.(but I could be wrong) I think the problem was the interpretation of the policy of not allowing anything distracting, and the person decided that being bald was"distracting". So, no the kid not break the rules, the adult is just stupid.
<quoted text>
The article i read said there IS a policy forbidding bald heads. So she did violate the rules and therefore the zero thought...i mean zero tolerance kicked in.

Evanston IL

#97151 Mar 26, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Wonder about the merit of that rule....as most shaved heads on children, would indicate cancer treatments....
Usually it's because it can cause a dispruptive atmosphere in the classroom. Which I think is complete bullsh!t, btw.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97152 Mar 26, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Wonder about the merit of that rule....as most shaved heads on children, would indicate cancer treatments....
Probably written with the intent to disallow things like mowhawks where only a portion is bald. But instead of allowing teachers and admins to analyze on a case by case basis ....NO BALD HEADS!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#97153 Mar 26, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Not hypocrisy. You use common sense. Everything is not black/white even if you think so.
Sorry, but a no shaved head policy IS black and white. And if it is a private school, they are within their rights to institute any policy they want (within the confines of the law, of course.) Still siding with the school, you don't get to violate rules you don't agree with. THAT is hypocrisy

Evanston IL

#97154 Mar 26, 2014
River Song wrote:
Another story about a little girl with hair the school finds objectionable. In this case the school is private so they can do what they want, but it's still horrible to treat a child this way. She should be allowed to be herself.
http://www.wset.com/story/25061872/little-gir...
Agreed.

This story bothered me too, but it seems the school has come to its senses.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/201...

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97155 Mar 26, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
God, I hate when I agree with you. <gollum, gollum>
The child should have been told that if she wants to shave her head, she would have to accept the discipline, whatever that may be. They could have then worked with the school board to change the rules going forward. Instead, they threw an adult-sized version of a temper tantrum.
I've been working on gathering numbers together for the grievances we deal with on a daily basis, putting them in catagories so the higher-ups could see what the most common problems are. We are seriously considering using a catagory called "pouty pants" and this situtation would fall squarely into it.
You're saying this as if she knew it was against the rules and cut it off anyway. I'm guessing she was not even aware that bald heads were against the rules until she showed up that way. Really. She's 9. You think a 9 year old reads the code of conduct from front to back? I would be surprised if her parents gave it more than a cursory glance at the start of the school year.

Evanston IL

#97158 Mar 26, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>You're saying this as if she knew it was against the rules and cut it off anyway. I'm guessing she was not even aware that bald heads were against the rules until she showed up that way. Really. She's 9. You think a 9 year old reads the code of conduct from front to back? I would be surprised if her parents gave it more than a cursory glance at the start of the school year.
I'm sure you're right on both accounts. The parents even said something to the effect of "yeah, we signed the paper but didn't pay much attention to it."

But regardless if they paid attention to the rules, the rules is the rules. If you break them, even unknowingly, then you have to accept the consequences and the kid would learn a valuable lesson that she will never forget. Instead, she's learned that she can be a pouty pants and get her way. Which, in fact, does not always work in the real world.

Please don't get me wrong, I think that these types of zero-tolerance rules are completely idiotic. They are employed so that adminstrators don't have to do any work.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97159 Mar 26, 2014
River Song wrote:
Another story about a little girl with hair the school finds objectionable. In this case the school is private so they can do what they want, but it's still horrible to treat a child this way. She should be allowed to be herself.
http://www.wset.com/story/25061872/little-gir...
I saw that yesterday. That was/is horrible.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#97161 Mar 26, 2014
Can you imagine? A woman who believes she is pregnant with quintuplets goes to the hospital to have them, and well -- SURPRISE!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/woman-p...

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#97162 Mar 26, 2014
RACE wrote:
My old vet did that with my cat! It was that last visit that stressed her so much that the meds I did get were useless, she was too far gone. If they had just given me the meds (she was dying anyway, who cares as long as she is comfortable) instead of trying to soak me for another $50 I could have had her for another couple of weeks... I hate them for that.
New vet keeps refilling mutts pain pills, and they even waived the office visit cost the last time he was in (was only there like 10min, but the other place would have made sure they got that money)
Don't be afraid to shop for another vet, some really do put their patients first.
<quoted text>
One of the cats cost me $200.00 last Friday. The vet has really really reasonable prices so it wasn't that. He hadn't been eating...ok, you're sick you don't want to eat I get that, but he was also not drinking for like 3 days. Dehydration kills. They gave me the two courses of treatment options, IV fluids, meds and cross my fingers or Xray and IV fluids and meds. I went with the hat trick, just to be sure. I think he was faking. The cat I mean. He just wanted to help me break in my brand new Visa card.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#97164 Mar 26, 2014
squishymama wrote:
these types of zero-tolerance rules are completely idiotic. They are employed so that adminstrators don't have to do any work.
More accurately, they are created so that admins don't have to do any thinking and analysis. So that admins can't be held accountable for makiing a decision that turns out to be the wrong one. One that perhaps showed poor judgement. Its not my decisoon. We gave a policy.

“Joy is the shadow cast by pain”

Twin Cities, MN

#97165 Mar 26, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
If Red pops in occasionally, I'm going to be scared. Not that I'd mind hearing from her...
Hey! Sorry it took me so long to say hello! The WiFi here blows dead goats.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min John Galt 1,618,269
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min loose cannon 242,769
The Party of Racism. 17 min history in context 61
Benghazi, the REAL story. 4 hr DeadCryingOut 4
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 8 hr They cannot kill ... 11,425
Jon Trott of JPUSA protects child molestors 11 hr John Trott 9
Film on Sex Crimes at Jesus People USA 11 hr John Trott 11

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages