Topix Chitown Regulars
Timmy

United States

#96872 Mar 20, 2014
hey Mutt, you really should move to Florida, we got your kind of Governor. Even though the Chamber of Commerce ranks Florida as one of the most business friendly states, he did away with decades of environmental rules and regulations because it wasn't business friendly enough. When a big supporter of his had a permit for a large project rejected becasue it did not meet the legal requirements, he had the reviewer fired and replaced with somone that would approve it regardless of whether it met the requriements of not. Your kind of guy right?
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Thought NC was a blue state? Anyway, regardless of who's in charge, did the company violate state or federal laws? If so, then the company is to blame, not the people in office. If they violated no laws, not sure what you're argument is. The state should crack down with an iron fist of regulation?
And conservatives aren't anti environment, that's a twist liberals make because again, they can't understand a viewpoint that differs from theirs.
Conservatives oppose strict regulation, which doesn't allow a company to grow or become profitable or hire people. A fact Illinois knows all too well.
And we had something similar to your situation around here not too long ago. There was an issue with oil coke blowing into people's homes and whatnot. And Illinois is controlled by Democrats, so can I blame them?

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#96874 Mar 20, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
It is not a matter of violating laws. It is a matter of making the laws less stringent with the ostensible motive of not hindering business but with the practical result of large scale events which adversely affect the public.
Sub is talking about Duke Energy's waste disposal, but there was a huge fly ash explosion in the late 70s in either Canton or Clinton Illinois.
Do you remember what Gary Indiana air quality was like before the EPA imposed scrubbers on the smoke stacks?
Ever ridden in a cherry picker basket? Did you like having rails instead of just a platform on a scissors lift?
All of those are constraints on business opposed by Republicans which were not illegal originally but were made so after laws and regulations were passed. That is the Duke Energy issue they did nothing illegal because they forestalled making it so. Enough to turn me into a Democrat.
I agree.

There are many things that are gray, but there are certain things that are black and white to me. More often than democrats, Republicans are on the wrong side of issues that are black and white to me.

I think a lot of folks feel that way and it turns a lot of people off. What positive messages they have Ö that would actually resonate with voters ... gets washed out because of it.

If you are too busy fussing about controversial things like gay rights, womanís issues, religious issues that should really be a private matter, not a social issue, and have people like Ted Nugent, who campaigned with a politician in Texas, out there opening his mouth and calling a black President a sub-human mongrel Ö you are going to turn so many people off. I donít blame them, either.

If they would stay out of that shyte and focus on jobs, the economy, and responsible fiscal policy, without ignoring how sometimes these things must be balanced with environmental protection and social responsibility, they would win more elections. If they let women live their own lives, folks who don't agree with their religious views live their own lives, and folks who happen to have a different sexual orientation live their own lives, without discrimination, they would win more elections.

And what is more important; prosperity as a nation or micromanaging people's lives who simply wish to have the freedom to choose their own path in life? Far too often, republicans are in the micromanaging people's lives business. I don't care for it.

If they lose people like me, they are done. They can't just win with the religious right, because over time folks are becoming less and less religious. It's a losing strategy. As much as I don't like the democrats road map to prosperity, I feel the republicans need to lose people like me, or else they will never change.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96876 Mar 20, 2014
I hope the mods don't pull the posts.

I have been having a hard time sleeping with my allergies and might have trouble falling asleep tonight.

They are boring enough to make a person who just woke up after sleeping 48 consecutive hours and who just did 10 lines of coke fall into a slumber that would make Snow White's look like a cat nap.

If word gets out about this, you are going to put lunesta out of business.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#96877 Mar 20, 2014
LOL wrote:
Wow, look at how those negative icons just showed up. That's pretty coincidental, and very funny!
I'm sure the posts will also disappear, equally as coincidentally. LOL They're just so threatening...
Did she solicit or accept money or stuff from anyone? If not, you just need to chalk it up to an example on one end of the spectrum of human nature. PT Barnum's maxim comes to mind- the one about fooling people.

Anger, bitterness and suspicion are each valid responses

Saint Petersburg, FL

#96878 Mar 20, 2014
Who in the world is LOL talking about? I was here at the beginning...
posterity

Mount Prospect, IL

#96879 Mar 20, 2014
LOL wrote:
Second story: Last year around this time a woman we'd all posted with on the main forum, who claimed for over a year that she had cancer, began acting out her final months. No one suspected she was lying because she'd talked about it for quite a while and she'd friended a few people on FB who said she talked about it there. This woman drew in some of the kindest people, many of them older posters, who were genuinely distressed for her. She began last January saying she was undergoing a stem cell transplant, That was followed by surgeries and finally, there was no hope and her daughter began posting for her finally saying she'd died. This was in March, I think. Again, this was a person who'd posted for YEARS with people on Topix; not someone new. She posted using her real picture and people knew who she was in real life. One other slimy thing she did was choose one of the people who cared deeply and gave her her daughter's email address, which was obviously something she'd created... so that this woman could be the liaison of sorts for all the mourners. She posted that she was trying to support the daughter emotionally. Full disclosure: I was friendly with this poster for part of her tenure but I wasn't on the inside circle at the end. People I know were, and they were devastated. What kind of sociopath would do that kind of thing? She'd been friendly with these people for a long time and then though it would be a cool idea to con them? Just for fun?
As the days went on and people were talking behind the scenes, no one could find an obituary or any kind of death notice. Some wanted to send flowers or give to her favorite charity, so they waited. Then suspicion set in and some went from the main forum (where this had happened) to this woman's home forum and began asking questions. No matter what was posted or how nice the question was.....those posts were deleted within minutes. None lasted more than five minutes.(On a small forum that gets maybe 40 viewers on a busy day).
In her last months she'd de-friended anyone from Topix on FB so no one could view her page, but someone knew enough that they found her posting to one of her kids. The anger among the people she'd conned was and is still palpable. She actually started posting once she was exposed, saying (and this is familiar) that it wasn't her who'd been posting (including videos of her own children performing in high school musicals), that someone had hacked her account. An old boyfriend wanting revenge. BS. Her account was then deleted straight away.
To this day, if you post anything, and I mean anything about her on her home forum, it is deleted nearly immediately. She posts there unregistered using proxies, mostly to harangue a woman from that town whom she's harassed for years.(The posts are there). She was protected through all the months of her swan song, in 'death', and now you can barely mention her name without getting your post zapped. So.......why do you suppose that is? This woman is obviously mentally unstable and cruel, but most of all she's got some amazing Topix super powers. THAT is the true nature of this place.
Well said!

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96883 Mar 20, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
No one any of you even know.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#96885 Mar 20, 2014
A Bitter Pill wrote:
<quoted text>Artgal
Artgal? Never heard of her. From the sound of it, perhaps it is better that way.

Live and learn
concerned poster

Mount Prospect, IL

#96887 Mar 20, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Did she solicit or accept money or stuff from anyone? If not, you just need to chalk it up to an example on one end of the spectrum of human nature. PT Barnum's maxim comes to mind- the one about fooling people.
I was on that forum for that too and, to my knowledge she didn't profit from it. That would have been my first thought too because con artists almost always have a profit motive. But, it takes all kinds to fill up the threads and evidently, she did this just for kicks. Closer to home, remember we had someone here who pretended to be a therapist, teaching at a hospital and studying Topix on a grant from the government? Who does that? And evidently for no profit other than self-aggrandizement? It takes all kinds, indeed....

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96889 Mar 20, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, but I don't think she solicited any money. At least no one said anything about sending her anything.

I do know a lot of folks who got really close to her at the "end" were upset.

I couldn't find any obits for someone around her age, anywhere, in the state she was from and there was some gray box poster on here, pretending to be her daughter, referring to her as "mommy-face." I was like who the eff over the age of 3 talks like that and early on was telling people that they have been bamboozled.

I thought it was a sick cruel thing to do to people, but none of you even knew her.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#96890 Mar 20, 2014
RACE wrote:
Because sometimes people need a taste of their own medicine....
As you sow, so shall you reap.
<quoted text>
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#96891 Mar 20, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>why take the high road?
B/c it gives me more comfort to myself if I do.
POSTerity

Mount Prospect, IL

#96892 Mar 20, 2014
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>No, she didn't solicit money or anything. I'd almost feel better if she had. To think her sole aim and desire was to manipulate and hurt people after working for months and even years in some cases to gain their trust feels diabolical to me. I think it's unfair to assume they were all suckers, though. You can go along here and not believe anything you read but when it's a long-time poster... someone you've shared things with and who's shared videos of her kids, etc....I think anyone would tend to think she wouldn't do that sort of thing. At the time I felt bad in case it was true, but I'd caught her lying before so I wasn't willing to buy into it completely. I doubted it but I couldn't believe someone would be so cruel. The point of the story is that she is now and always has been protected by Topix, no matter what she's said or done. You can draw your own conclusion.
Well said!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#96893 Mar 20, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
No, not Ang. Must be another person on another forum. No one from here that I know of.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#96894 Mar 20, 2014
Wow -- this is probably around when she started.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/latrobe-pa/TR...
Guilt by association

Mount Prospect, IL

#96895 Mar 20, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one any of you even know.
TRANSLATION: "Move along now...nothing to see here....Oh! Look at the time...."

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#96896 Mar 20, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
They are constantly supporting weakening of environmental rules
Maybe the regulations are too tough? Sometimes politicians use regulations as a hidden agenda, and as a "back door" to get rid of something they don't like. For example, liberals hate oil. So they impose regulations on oil companies under the guise of "the environment" that are so strict the oil company can't possibly operate. When Republicans want to loosen the regulations to allow them reasonably operate, they're accused of "hating the environment." It's an old argument and they're not fooling anyone anymore.
Sublime1 wrote:
Our Governor worked for Duke Energy for 28+ years. That Dan River contamination is one of the biggest environmental disasters ever. Republicans have been in bed with Duke Energy and have watered down pollution regulations. Comparing coke ash blowing to one of the worst environmental disasters in this nationís history is apples to oranges.
They are exactly the same. Both involve "pollutants" entering the air/water, whatever. You're accusing them of being apples and oranges because you know I'm right.

And the fact that the governor used to work for them so allowed them to violate environmental laws is an unfounded accusation

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#96898 Mar 20, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Enough to turn me into a Democrat.
Oh please, you've always been a Democrat. Nice try

Another ploy by liberals that strong-minded people aren't falling for, heard it often: "I've been a staunch Republican for twenty years, but I just can't do it anymore!"

Why do they do this? I dunno, trying to get people to switch sides, I suppose, which just further proves liberalism is circling the drain

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#96899 Mar 20, 2014
Timmy wrote:
hey Mutt, you really should move to Florida, we got your kind of Governor. Even though the Chamber of Commerce ranks Florida as one of the most business friendly states, he did away with decades of environmental rules and regulations because it wasn't business friendly enough. When a big supporter of his had a permit for a large project rejected becasue it did not meet the legal requirements, he had the reviewer fired and replaced with somone that would approve it regardless of whether it met the requriements of not. Your kind of guy right?
<quoted text>
If he violated the law, no, I don't agree with something like that. Guess you don't know me well after all
Parks and Recreation

Mount Prospect, IL

#96901 Mar 20, 2014
The House wants to eliminate ALL National Parks. Some reasons why are selling drilling rights for oil and natural gas and other minerals, logging as well as providing spectacular land for billionaires to build spectacular log homes on. Teddy Roosevelt, who started our National Parks system and who is considered by a leading Ferrerman to be the last great Republican president, is spinning in his grave.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/03/20/3...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 36 min Incognito4Ever 1,704,885
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr GALAXY FART 64,458
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr U_Nil_Name 243,316
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr Alain Vain 11,958
TEACHER of year at FL. middle school posts mess... 5 hr Rose of Tralee 9
Florida shooter is White Nationalist scum 7 hr Rose of Tralee 12
Trump is A 7 hr Rose of Tralee 464

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages