Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>i'm still not sold. If i cook bacon in a frying pan, there is a pool of grease left behind. That does not go in the sink. Same for ground beef. But other than that, any other meat that I can think of, does not leave behind a pool of grease. There is nothing to pour out(or let harden and scoop out). If i pan fry some chicken, once the pan is cool, it just gets washed with a soapy sponge under water. I don't see how a change of venue, crock pot vs frying pan, results in grease that needs special disposal indtructions.
I don't cook in the crockpot much (ha! actually never; it's still sitting in the unopened box in my pantry) but when I helped my mom cook with one as a kid, the chicken did not just go into it without adding some kind of liquid. You usually don't do that when you're using a frying pan, so the change of venue is important.

The soap helps break down the fat, btw, so it is different than just pouring the liquid down the drain.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't feel guilty. Everyone has enough to do. But you could buy extra ice cube trays, fill them with the broth and use them as you need it to flavor veggies.
I'm too lazy to do that, but you could.
Veggies? Not many of those cooked in my house and when they are, they're steamed in the microwave.

I have a life-long aversion to most things green thanks to my mother. It's a long story starting when I was 5 and my parents were divorcing.

I am getting better, but veg is not something I do willingly.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Judged:

If the meat you are cooking has fat on it, then there will be grease, and that grease will congeal when cooled.
Make a stew, and leave the leftovers in the pot, and put it in the fridge overnight, then look at it, the grease will be caked on top.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>i'm still not sold. If i cook bacon in a frying pan, there is a pool of grease left behind. That does not go in the sink. Same for ground beef. But other than that, any other meat that I can think of, does not leave behind a pool of grease. There is nothing to pour out(or let harden and scoop out). If i pan fry some chicken, once the pan is cool, it just gets washed with a soapy sponge under water. I don't see how a change of venue, crock pot vs frying pan, results in grease that needs special disposal indtructions.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't cook in the crockpot much (ha! actually never; it's still sitting in the unopened box in my pantry) but when I helped my mom cook with one as a kid, the chicken did not just go into it without adding some kind of liquid. You usually don't do that when you're using a frying pan, so the change of venue is important.
The soap helps break down the fat, btw, so it is different than just pouring the liquid down the drain.
Right. I said that yesterday. I usually have chicken stock or wine or both in the crockpot. Not seeing the point you're trying to make. Allz I'm saying is that you all are talking about setting the liquis aside to cool and harden. My crockpot can sit on the counter a full day before i get to cleanung it and its still liquid.

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Right. I said that yesterday. I usually have chicken stock or wine or both in the crockpot. Not seeing the point you're trying to make. Allz I'm saying is that you all are talking about setting the liquis aside to cool and harden. My crockpot can sit on the counter a full day before i get to cleanung it and its still liquid.
There's nothing gross floating on top? That's surprising to me.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Thank to those of you who were actually helpful.
See, I don't havea lot of cash so I hate giving money, then you see hor poor I am, lol. It's not a Southern thing (weird).

I'm also not spending $50 on a wedding gift! If that makes me cheap (or again, poor), so be it. I find that a lot for someone I don't talk to weekly...

Her 1 towel was the color "ginger" and I have no energy to find it anywhere else. I loathe shopping, btw. I would rather listen to Miley Cyrus whilst watching the Kardashians than shop.

I emailed her and found she was also registered at Williams and Sonoma and they had some reasonable stuff around $20-30 so I ordered 2 things. Had it shipped to her in DC (cost more) and paid to have it wrapped......DONE.

I know gifts aren't necessary, trust me. I hate them. I have a no-gift policy for friends and family, but going to a friend's wedding without anything just doesn't feel right.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

cheluzal wrote:
Thank to those of you who were actually helpful.
See, I don't havea lot of cash so I hate giving money, then you see hor poor I am, lol. It's not a Southern thing (weird).
I'm also not spending $50 on a wedding gift! If that makes me cheap (or again, poor), so be it. I find that a lot for someone I don't talk to weekly...
Her 1 towel was the color "ginger" and I have no energy to find it anywhere else. I loathe shopping, btw. I would rather listen to Miley Cyrus whilst watching the Kardashians than shop.
I emailed her and found she was also registered at Williams and Sonoma and they had some reasonable stuff around $20-30 so I ordered 2 things. Had it shipped to her in DC (cost more) and paid to have it wrapped......DONE.
I know gifts aren't necessary, trust me. I hate them. I have a no-gift policy for friends and family, but going to a friend's wedding without anything just doesn't feel right.
Is she getting married in DC?

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

cheluzal wrote:
While I can understand, part of me is amazed. I love to pick out something for a friend and surprise them with it or watch them open something they really wanted or something I know they'd love. I get a kick out of it.

I received a notice of profanity or offensive material. Huh?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Judged:

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
There's nothing gross floating on top? That's surprising to me.
Tell you what. My wife might be cooking in the crock pot today. If she is, I'll report my findings.

:)

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Tell you what. My wife might be cooking in the crock pot today. If she is, I'll report my findings.
:)
Thanks for the laugh, Tonka.

I expect a full report!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
While I can understand, part of me is amazed. I love to pick out something for a friend and surprise them with it or watch them open something they really wanted or something I know they'd love. I get a kick out of it.
I received a notice of profanity or offensive material. Huh?
I agree. I like the gift giving because I like to give someone things they like. But I am pretty standard on giving money for weddings. I guess it's a NY thing <Mimishrug>

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Judged:

concerned poster wrote:
<quoted text>You were thinking dirty thoughts?
Please share!
You mean -- Topix does mind reading now? Whoa! We're all in trouble now!
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Is she getting married in DC?
No, thank goodness. Her parents couldn't afford the venues so it's back in Tampa.
Her fiance's dad is throwing a huge bash in their native country.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Judged:

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of us are wired differently. I don't need to see them open (wouldn't anyway) or get off on it. I love little surprises through the year for no reason, but the big holidays/events obligations irk me.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

Stina wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I like the gift giving because I like to give someone things they like. But I am pretty standard on giving money for weddings. I guess it's a NY thing <Mimishrug>
The NY reference makes no sense. Plenty of people here give money so I'm not sure that perception.
I find cards and money....easy but without thought. Plus, like I said, you see how poor I am, lol.

Shopping for a gift gives me anxiety. And I don't know what she loves for her home. They both are in mid-late 30's with plenty of stuff. They don't need it, but it's convention, no?
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2014

When I marry, I will do everything in my power to get my guy to elope!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2014

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2014

Judged:

cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
The NY reference makes no sense. Plenty of people here give money so I'm not sure that perception.
I find cards and money....easy but without thought. Plus, like I said, you see how poor I am, lol.
Shopping for a gift gives me anxiety. And I don't know what she loves for her home. They both are in mid-late 30's with plenty of stuff. They don't need it, but it's convention, no?
To clarify, in NY, the *majority* of people give money (and not just NY, I think it's more a Northeastern thing). You get very few actual , physical gifts. People give money here, but more often it seems to be gifts vs. money. It doesn't compare. That's how it was at my wedding (in FL) and at the weddings of almost everyone I know down here.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2014

Judged:

cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, too, as I thought about it, you do better with a gift than money if you're poor. You can find a nice, "expensive" gift cheap if you find a good sale or a good deal but you can't hide how much cash you give.:-) Of course, it's a moot point if you hate to shop!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2014

Race, JMW ... you guys still up for meeting when we come down? Stina too, if you can make it? We are leaving next weekend.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min shinningelectr0n 1,096,618
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 16 min LRS 176,882
Word (Dec '08) 36 min RACE 4,637
Fast Adderall,xanny ,MMJ- ADHD 43 min Fast guy 1
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr litesong 46,244
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 2 hr BigRabbit 68,860
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 2 hr Sinatra 291

Search the Chicago Forum:
•••

Flood Warning for Cook County was issued at August 22 at 8:29PM CDT

•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Chicago People Search