“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#96621 Mar 11, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone who's company deals with wastewater, we kindly ask you not to pour greasy stuff down the sink. When grease cools, it solidifies, right? Imagine pipes full of that. Imagine that getting to the treatment plant and having to be concentrated and skimmed off. Believe me, the scum concentration building has to be the foulest place I have ever been in and the scum really does become balls that have to be broken up before they can safely be removed. We call it shooting scum and it is the foulest most disgusting smelling job we currently have.(We used to have something called Imhoff tanks that basically condensed the "solids" in long shallow pools that had to be manually emptied with a shovel - those have been demolished thankgoodness) Laborers will go to great lengths to avoid doing it and I don't really blame them (even tho it is their job). On my tour of the plant, I lasted a grand total of 30 seconds in that building. Imagine having to work in there all day.
Also there's this:
http://grist.org/living/blimey-its-slimey-mee...
So please, try and sop up as much of the grease with paper towels as possible and throw them in the trash.
I saw that. Truly gross.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96622 Mar 11, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone who's company deals with wastewater, we kindly ask you not to pour greasy stuff down the sink. When grease cools, it solidifies, right?.
Exactly my thoughts, which is why I never did it!:)
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96623 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I usually have leftovers . All of it , including the juices go into the smaller bowl I put in the refrigerator.
I usually have them too but the leftoverroa st juices don't always fit in the containers.
If you are asking about cooking juices in general, I put the container someplace cool to let the grease harden, wipe it with paper towels and wash out the rest with hot soapy water. I don't have a disposal in the sink so the greasy towels go into the trash.
I have somer oast juice and bits and I tried letting it harden but the roast parts made it gross, lol. I have a disposal but would never put grease in there willingly.
I wouldn't put it directly in the grate outside because the soap breaks down the grease and makes it less likely to clog a pipe, however big the pipe may be. Also, we get racoons and other critters in the grates. The grease would attract them.
It's a very deep grate in the road outside my townhome. I also have one in my backyard, to catch the rain drainage. It's got small openings but the grate is very deep. Animals don't get in there or if they do, they aren't getting back out!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#96624 Mar 11, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
I usually have them too but the leftoverroa st juices don't always fit in the containers.
So get bigger containers! I don't have a crock pot, but if I cook something that leave grease, I pour it into an aluminum can if there's a small enough amount, for bigger stuff, I'll pour into a coffee container or something (I usually keep a few around for just this purpose). I'll line the container with aluminum foil so hopefully the grease won't melt through. Or just dump it in the yard. If you're worried about killing the grass, dump it in the street

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#96625 Mar 11, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Cuter.
Cuter than the other options: it's tiny and just for me, plusth e design is adorable and not plain.
Cuter.
I know what cuter MEANS, I've just never heard anyone describe a crock pot that way. Or as "adorable." It's a crock pot, not a kitten!

And don't blame the keyboard for your poor typing skills!:p

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#96626 Mar 11, 2014
RACE wrote:
What did you do to them?
<quoted text>
Heh. Scattered 'em.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#96627 Mar 11, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone who's company deals with wastewater, we kindly ask you not to pour greasy stuff down the sink. When grease cools, it solidifies, right? Imagine pipes full of that. Imagine that getting to the treatment plant and having to be concentrated and skimmed off. Believe me, the scum concentration building has to be the foulest place I have ever been in and the scum really does become balls that have to be broken up before they can safely be removed. We call it shooting scum and it is the foulest most disgusting smelling job we currently have.(We used to have something called Imhoff tanks that basically condensed the "solids" in long shallow pools that had to be manually emptied with a shovel - those have been demolished thankgoodness) Laborers will go to great lengths to avoid doing it and I don't really blame them (even tho it is their job). On my tour of the plant, I lasted a grand total of 30 seconds in that building. Imagine having to work in there all day.
Also there's this:
http://grist.org/living/blimey-its-slimey-mee...
So please, try and sop up as much of the grease with paper towels as possible and throw them in the trash.
Well, it would appear that one of us is doing it wrong. Grease?

She said the juice. In a crock pot. I see the remaining liquid as essentially soup. You telling me I shouldn't pour soup own the drain?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96628 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
I wouldn't put it directly in the grate outside
What grates are you all babbling about?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96629 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about Chel' but I don't have a disposal and I would rather not use Drano that much
Every place I've ever lived (except my parents house) has had a disposal. And I'm not suggesting frying up some bacon and pouring he grease into the drain. Why the drano comment? What the hell are you cooking in your crock pot? Any 'juice' left in mine is primarily chicken stock or cooking wine.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#96630 Mar 11, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Yay on the new job!
You'll get back in the swing of things before long. The first paycheck should help.
:D
If ever you have the opportunity to go to the big mall during the work week, let me know and we can do lunch! Either that or i'll burn my my vacation in fall and meet up by your office...
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96631 Mar 11, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So get bigger containers! I don't have a crock pot, but if I cook something that leave grease, I pour it into an aluminum can if there's a small enough amount, for bigger stuff, I'll pour into a coffee container or something (I usually keep a few around for just this purpose). I'll line the container with aluminum foil so hopefully the grease won't melt through. Or just dump it in the yard. If you're worried about killing the grass, dump it in the street
Maybe I'll dump it on your face.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#96632 Mar 11, 2014
Now thats just mean...

Somethin I would say....Sure.
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96633 Mar 11, 2014
WEDDING REGISTRY HELP, PLEASE!

A friend is marrying in April. She's registered at Bloomingdales. The registry isn't big but I cannot afford a $440 mixer,$220 decorative pillow, or $350 bed sheets!
Unreal.
The only item below $100 is $25--for one dinky hand towel.

Sorry, I am not marrying a zillionaire and cannot afford that....I hate gifts; loathe the obligation, but must bring something.
Ideas...????

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#96634 Mar 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Promises, promises

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#96635 Mar 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
A friend is marrying in April. She's registered at Bloomingdales. The registry isn't big but I cannot afford a $440 mixer,$220 decorative pillow, or $350 bed sheets!
Unreal.
Sorry, I am not marrying a zillionaire and cannot afford that....I hate gifts; loathe the obligation, but must bring something.
Ideas...????
I find it rude to put such items on a registry unless they swim in wealthy circles.

$20 bucks in a card

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#96636 Mar 12, 2014
Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TIUJHADBO5...

Abby wasn't even worth it. Just a "booklet" plug about organ donation. So here's Carolyn Hax

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TTT891IHQH...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#96637 Mar 12, 2014
Get her two dinky hand towels.
cheluzal wrote:
Unreal.
Ideas...????

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96638 Mar 12, 2014
RACE wrote:
Get her two dinky hand towels.
<quoted text>
That was easy.

And why is it hard for people to understand that you are not obligated to buy from the registry? When we did our registry, we just went aroinf the store scannning stuff we liked. Granted, we had no $400 items on there, but we made no consciois effort to keep things in any particular price range.

And really, ot serves a purpose even for people who don't buy from it. They have a $250 toaster oven on the list. You may not be able to afford it, but at least you know not to go get them a toaster oven.

I avoid the whole thing anyway. I buy a card on the way to the wedding and write a check while sitting in the car.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#96639 Mar 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Unreal.
Ideas...????
Go rogue. Don't buy from the registry, buy whatever you want to buy. Seriously.

I don't buy baby gifts off of registries anymore because if I ever set foot in Babies R Us again in my life, it'll be one time too many. I buy whatever cute crap I see at Target. This applies in your situation as well.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#96640 Mar 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Unreal.
Ideas...????
Note which colors her towels and sheets are and then go to Bed Bath and Beyond or someplace like that and get something color coordinated.

We have been married 30 years. The wedding gifts which we used a lot are the solid color vinyl place mats , the dozen red cloth napkins ( used at summer time and at Christmas and the solid color bath sheets and the Corningware in the all white style with those ribbed sides (I think they call it French Bistro or something like that) is basic and we still use it.

We also received a set of 6 dessert plates with botanical drawings that are unlike anything else we have and we have used them for almost every nice dinner we have had. They came from Gumps in San Francisco. They can be pricy but they have things there that can fit in many budgets and their stuff is really neat.. Plus if your friends don't like it you will have the schadenfreude of knowing they will have to ship it back not just take it in for a store credit.

Here is the link.

http://www.gumps.com/

Use the Bloomingdale registry as a guide

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min lmao 1,155,982
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 22 min Dale 182,095
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 22 min IBdaMann 49,325
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 51,291
Jackie Robinson Little League 1 hr very disappointed 1
amy 12-26 2 hr RACE 3
abby 12-26 3 hr RACE 3
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance