“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#96611 Mar 11, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
I have a Hamilton Beach because it was cuter and smaller and more affordable (Target).
Cuter?

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#96612 Mar 11, 2014
RACE wrote:
I was on that, but I got opted out. If I can only pay FPL $68 or less for a couple of months, it makes up for the months I am paying $220.
Sure it's all in my head, but I have to put something in there.
<quoted text>
You can get your electric bill lower than $70??? I have been excited when mine gets below $100 by a couple bucks!!! But I dont' have FPL, I have Duke.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96613 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
A key factor is a crockery pot that can be removed from the heating element. That is much easier to wash.
Honest question--what do you do with the leftover juices inside?
Mine does remove, but I don't want to dump it int he sink and in the garbage seems messy with potential to leak.
Someone suggested some paper towels to soak first but that seems like a waste.
Is dumping in the grate outside a no-no??
Thanks!
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96614 Mar 11, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Cuter?
Cuter.
Cuter than the other options: it's tiny and just for me, plusth e design is adorable and not plain.
Cuter.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96615 Mar 11, 2014
*Okayi gnore my stupid bunched letters. I got this plasticy keyboard cover and my keys keep sticking because I type too fast, rofl.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#96616 Mar 11, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Mine does remove, but I don't want to dump it int he sink and in the garbage seems messy with potential to leak.
Thanks!
What's wrong with the sink?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#96617 Mar 11, 2014
Crockadial Rock wrote:
<quoted text>What a crock!
So, the crock has a dial on it? Can I call you...Crockadial PE?
Dal? What is this thing you call Dial?

It has an LED read out with blinking lights..

See you later alligator.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#96618 Mar 11, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>What's wrong with the sink?
As someone who's company deals with wastewater, we kindly ask you not to pour greasy stuff down the sink. When grease cools, it solidifies, right? Imagine pipes full of that. Imagine that getting to the treatment plant and having to be concentrated and skimmed off. Believe me, the scum concentration building has to be the foulest place I have ever been in and the scum really does become balls that have to be broken up before they can safely be removed. We call it shooting scum and it is the foulest most disgusting smelling job we currently have.(We used to have something called Imhoff tanks that basically condensed the "solids" in long shallow pools that had to be manually emptied with a shovel - those have been demolished thankgoodness) Laborers will go to great lengths to avoid doing it and I don't really blame them (even tho it is their job). On my tour of the plant, I lasted a grand total of 30 seconds in that building. Imagine having to work in there all day.

Also there's this:

http://grist.org/living/blimey-its-slimey-mee...

So please, try and sop up as much of the grease with paper towels as possible and throw them in the trash.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#96619 Mar 11, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
I usually have leftovers . All of it , including the juices go into the smaller bowl I put in the refrigerator.

I made Tomato Pepper Beef Sunday night. The crockery cooking pot is soaking in the sink. I wash it by hand because it does not fit into my dishwasher.

If you are asking about cooking juices in general, I put the container someplace cool to let the grease harden, wipe it with paper towels and wash out the rest with hot soapy water. I don't have a disposal in the sink so the greasy towels go into the trash.

I wouldn't put it directly in the grate outside because the soap breaks down the grease and makes it less likely to clog a pipe, however big the pipe may be. Also, we get racoons and other critters in the grates. The grease would attract them.

Is that what you were looking for?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#96620 Mar 11, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>What's wrong with the sink?
I don't know about Chel' but I don't have a disposal and I would rather not use Drano that much

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#96621 Mar 11, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone who's company deals with wastewater, we kindly ask you not to pour greasy stuff down the sink. When grease cools, it solidifies, right? Imagine pipes full of that. Imagine that getting to the treatment plant and having to be concentrated and skimmed off. Believe me, the scum concentration building has to be the foulest place I have ever been in and the scum really does become balls that have to be broken up before they can safely be removed. We call it shooting scum and it is the foulest most disgusting smelling job we currently have.(We used to have something called Imhoff tanks that basically condensed the "solids" in long shallow pools that had to be manually emptied with a shovel - those have been demolished thankgoodness) Laborers will go to great lengths to avoid doing it and I don't really blame them (even tho it is their job). On my tour of the plant, I lasted a grand total of 30 seconds in that building. Imagine having to work in there all day.
Also there's this:
So please, try and sop up as much of the grease with paper towels as possible and throw them in the trash.
I saw that. Truly gross.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96622 Mar 11, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
As someone who's company deals with wastewater, we kindly ask you not to pour greasy stuff down the sink. When grease cools, it solidifies, right?.
Exactly my thoughts, which is why I never did it!:)
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96623 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>I usually have leftovers . All of it , including the juices go into the smaller bowl I put in the refrigerator.
I usually have them too but the leftoverroa st juices don't always fit in the containers.
If you are asking about cooking juices in general, I put the container someplace cool to let the grease harden, wipe it with paper towels and wash out the rest with hot soapy water. I don't have a disposal in the sink so the greasy towels go into the trash.
I have somer oast juice and bits and I tried letting it harden but the roast parts made it gross, lol. I have a disposal but would never put grease in there willingly.
I wouldn't put it directly in the grate outside because the soap breaks down the grease and makes it less likely to clog a pipe, however big the pipe may be. Also, we get racoons and other critters in the grates. The grease would attract them.
It's a very deep grate in the road outside my townhome. I also have one in my backyard, to catch the rain drainage. It's got small openings but the grate is very deep. Animals don't get in there or if they do, they aren't getting back out!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#96624 Mar 11, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
I usually have them too but the leftoverroa st juices don't always fit in the containers.
So get bigger containers! I don't have a crock pot, but if I cook something that leave grease, I pour it into an aluminum can if there's a small enough amount, for bigger stuff, I'll pour into a coffee container or something (I usually keep a few around for just this purpose). I'll line the container with aluminum foil so hopefully the grease won't melt through. Or just dump it in the yard. If you're worried about killing the grass, dump it in the street

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#96625 Mar 11, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Cuter.
Cuter than the other options: it's tiny and just for me, plusth e design is adorable and not plain.
Cuter.
I know what cuter MEANS, I've just never heard anyone describe a crock pot that way. Or as "adorable." It's a crock pot, not a kitten!

And don't blame the keyboard for your poor typing skills!:p

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#96626 Mar 11, 2014
RACE wrote:
What did you do to them?
<quoted text>
Heh. Scattered 'em.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96627 Mar 11, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Also there's this:
Well, it would appear that one of us is doing it wrong. Grease?

She said the juice. In a crock pot. I see the remaining liquid as essentially soup. You telling me I shouldn't pour soup own the drain?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96628 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
I wouldn't put it directly in the grate outside
What grates are you all babbling about?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96629 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know about Chel' but I don't have a disposal and I would rather not use Drano that much
Every place I've ever lived (except my parents house) has had a disposal. And I'm not suggesting frying up some bacon and pouring he grease into the drain. Why the drano comment? What the hell are you cooking in your crock pot? Any 'juice' left in mine is primarily chicken stock or cooking wine.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#96630 Mar 11, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Yay on the new job!
You'll get back in the swing of things before long. The first paycheck should help.
:D
If ever you have the opportunity to go to the big mall during the work week, let me know and we can do lunch! Either that or i'll burn my my vacation in fall and meet up by your office...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,233,387
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Rogue Scholar 05 190,012
Dear Abby 5-27-15 11 min PEllen 5
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 15 min Patriot AKA Bozo 53,572
Ask Amy 5-27-15 24 min PEllen 4
anybody know Glen Musielak? Glentech? (Mar '13) 44 min Gary Seven 115
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 70,029
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]