Topix Chitown Regulars

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#96630 Mar 11, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Yay on the new job!
You'll get back in the swing of things before long. The first paycheck should help.
:D
If ever you have the opportunity to go to the big mall during the work week, let me know and we can do lunch! Either that or i'll burn my my vacation in fall and meet up by your office...
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96631 Mar 11, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So get bigger containers! I don't have a crock pot, but if I cook something that leave grease, I pour it into an aluminum can if there's a small enough amount, for bigger stuff, I'll pour into a coffee container or something (I usually keep a few around for just this purpose). I'll line the container with aluminum foil so hopefully the grease won't melt through. Or just dump it in the yard. If you're worried about killing the grass, dump it in the street
Maybe I'll dump it on your face.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#96632 Mar 11, 2014
Now thats just mean...

Somethin I would say....Sure.
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96633 Mar 11, 2014
WEDDING REGISTRY HELP, PLEASE!

A friend is marrying in April. She's registered at Bloomingdales. The registry isn't big but I cannot afford a $440 mixer,$220 decorative pillow, or $350 bed sheets!
Unreal.
The only item below $100 is $25--for one dinky hand towel.

Sorry, I am not marrying a zillionaire and cannot afford that....I hate gifts; loathe the obligation, but must bring something.
Ideas...????

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#96634 Mar 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Promises, promises

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#96635 Mar 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
A friend is marrying in April. She's registered at Bloomingdales. The registry isn't big but I cannot afford a $440 mixer,$220 decorative pillow, or $350 bed sheets!
Unreal.
Sorry, I am not marrying a zillionaire and cannot afford that....I hate gifts; loathe the obligation, but must bring something.
Ideas...????
I find it rude to put such items on a registry unless they swim in wealthy circles.

$20 bucks in a card

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#96636 Mar 12, 2014
Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TIUJHADBO5...

Abby wasn't even worth it. Just a "booklet" plug about organ donation. So here's Carolyn Hax

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TTT891IHQH...

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#96637 Mar 12, 2014
Get her two dinky hand towels.
cheluzal wrote:
Unreal.
Ideas...????

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#96638 Mar 12, 2014
RACE wrote:
Get her two dinky hand towels.
<quoted text>
That was easy.

And why is it hard for people to understand that you are not obligated to buy from the registry? When we did our registry, we just went aroinf the store scannning stuff we liked. Granted, we had no $400 items on there, but we made no consciois effort to keep things in any particular price range.

And really, ot serves a purpose even for people who don't buy from it. They have a $250 toaster oven on the list. You may not be able to afford it, but at least you know not to go get them a toaster oven.

I avoid the whole thing anyway. I buy a card on the way to the wedding and write a check while sitting in the car.

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#96639 Mar 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Unreal.
Ideas...????
Go rogue. Don't buy from the registry, buy whatever you want to buy. Seriously.

I don't buy baby gifts off of registries anymore because if I ever set foot in Babies R Us again in my life, it'll be one time too many. I buy whatever cute crap I see at Target. This applies in your situation as well.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#96640 Mar 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Unreal.
Ideas...????
Note which colors her towels and sheets are and then go to Bed Bath and Beyond or someplace like that and get something color coordinated.

We have been married 30 years. The wedding gifts which we used a lot are the solid color vinyl place mats , the dozen red cloth napkins ( used at summer time and at Christmas and the solid color bath sheets and the Corningware in the all white style with those ribbed sides (I think they call it French Bistro or something like that) is basic and we still use it.

We also received a set of 6 dessert plates with botanical drawings that are unlike anything else we have and we have used them for almost every nice dinner we have had. They came from Gumps in San Francisco. They can be pricy but they have things there that can fit in many budgets and their stuff is really neat.. Plus if your friends don't like it you will have the schadenfreude of knowing they will have to ship it back not just take it in for a store credit.

Here is the link.

http://www.gumps.com/

Use the Bloomingdale registry as a guide

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#96641 Mar 12, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Unreal.
Ideas...????
The registry is suggestions -- it doesn't mean you HAVE to buy from there. Go online, look for the hand towels at a reasonable place and buy a bunch of them. Wrap them nicely.

I've bought 1000 count Egyptian cotton sheets for $65 before (on sale and I love them).

I love shopping online.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#96642 Mar 12, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I avoid the whole thing anyway. I buy a card on the way to the wedding and write a check while sitting in the car.
This. I do this 90% of the time. People love money. I think the South has a problem giving money though -- but not up North. Gifts for showers, money for weddings.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#96643 Mar 12, 2014
Chel -- towels. Plain ones but I bet they'd use these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AE8E2BG...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#96644 Mar 12, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Well, it would appear that one of us is doing it wrong. Grease?
She said the juice. In a crock pot. I see the remaining liquid as essentially soup. You telling me I shouldn't pour soup own the drain?
Unless you are only cooking vegetables in the crockpot, the "juice" is grease. So yes, you really should pour soup down the drain.

I confess, the few times that we have leftover soup (and I'm talking about the brothier kind: chicken noodle, ramen, etc.) I do pour it down the drain, but I feel guilty doing it even while it's making my life easier in the moment.

Evanston IL

#96646 Mar 12, 2014
HA! You really *shouldn't* pour soup down the drain.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#96647 Mar 12, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you are only cooking vegetables in the crockpot, the "juice" is grease. So yes, you really should pour soup down the drain.
I confess, the few times that we have leftover soup (and I'm talking about the brothier kind: chicken noodle, ramen, etc.) I do pour it down the drain, but I feel guilty doing it even while it's making my life easier in the moment.
Don't feel guilty. Everyone has enough to do. But you could buy extra ice cube trays, fill them with the broth and use them as you need it to flavor veggies.

I'm too lazy to do that, but you could.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#96648 Mar 12, 2014
squishymama wrote:
HA! You really *shouldn't* pour soup down the drain.
We have enough dogs, never any leftovers.....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#96649 Mar 12, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm still not sold. If i cook bacon in a frying pan, there is a pool of grease left behind. That does not go in the sink. Same for ground beef. But other than that, any other meat that I can think of, does not leave behind a pool of grease. There is nothing to pour out(or let harden and scoop out). If i pan fry some chicken, once the pan is cool, it just gets washed with a soapy sponge under water. I don't see how a change of venue, crock pot vs frying pan, results in grease that needs special disposal indtructions.

Evanston IL

#96650 Mar 12, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>i'm still not sold. If i cook bacon in a frying pan, there is a pool of grease left behind. That does not go in the sink. Same for ground beef. But other than that, any other meat that I can think of, does not leave behind a pool of grease. There is nothing to pour out(or let harden and scoop out). If i pan fry some chicken, once the pan is cool, it just gets washed with a soapy sponge under water. I don't see how a change of venue, crock pot vs frying pan, results in grease that needs special disposal indtructions.
I don't cook in the crockpot much (ha! actually never; it's still sitting in the unopened box in my pantry) but when I helped my mom cook with one as a kid, the chicken did not just go into it without adding some kind of liquid. You usually don't do that when you're using a frying pan, so the change of venue is important.

The soap helps break down the fat, btw, so it is different than just pouring the liquid down the drain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 22 min Agents of Corruption 1,406,183
Cure For Prescription Drug Addiction ! 51 min Not True 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 57 min Dr Guru 219,774
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr IB DaMann 60,669
Frank Underwood Here: I Could Sure Use Some Hel... 2 hr Claire Underwood 9
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr Retired SOF 1,272
News 15 Wounded In Tuesday Shootings Across Chicago 2 hr Resident 4

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages