Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#96575 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Arizona does not change times. They seem to do just fine.
Up here, in NW Indiana, the time zone shifts county by county which really screws things up
I would LOVE to stop changing times! I just thought we'd be EST half the year and CST the other half. But Atlantic??? We'd be the only state in the union with that. Though I wonder, if we did it, if other east coast states would follow suit.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#96576 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Up here, in NW Indiana, the time zone shifts county by county which really screws things up
I remember touring with a choir in the midwest in high school and I remember that the IN times were weird.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#96577 Mar 11, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
SO I knew they were talking about doing away with the time change in FL, but I DIDN'T realize till this morning that they are talking about keeping DST. In other words, in the winter, we'd be AHEAD of EST by an hour (and you Chicagoans by 2 hours). It would be the Atlantic Time Zone. Like Puerto Rico. That's screwy. And I am not sure I'd like having to work until 6 PM.
Aw hell no. But how would that work? Florida isn't any more east than the rest of the east coast. So Florida could end up in a different time zone than Georgia? Who's the idiot that came up with THAT idea?

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#96578 Mar 11, 2014
Ugh.

I don't like how I got used to having it starting to be light out when I wake up and now it's dark again, so the first week or so kind of sucks. But as we get further into spring and summer, it'll get lighter and lighter in the mornings and I'll be back to getting up with the sun. I do like having longer daylight in the evenings.

In general though, I wish we'd just pick a time and stick to it all year. All of us.

West Palm Beach, FL

#96579 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Actually, I read online over the weekend that AZ used to not change but started changing in 2006. I don't remember why.

West Palm Beach, FL

#96580 Mar 11, 2014
Hawaii doesn't change.

West Palm Beach, FL

#96581 Mar 11, 2014
And Tonka, that ropa vieja recipe looks awesome.

Does anyone recommend a specific brand of slow cooker? I'm thinking of spending around $50-$70.
Timmy

United States

#96582 Mar 11, 2014
The REPUBLICAN State legislature. Sorry Dog, you can't blame this one on the liberals.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw hell no. But how would that work? Florida isn't any more east than the rest of the east coast. So Florida could end up in a different time zone than Georgia? Who's the idiot that came up with THAT idea?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#96583 Mar 11, 2014
Aisle Sitter wrote:
The sun doesn't necessarily affect how i wake up... when i was out of work, i could wake up around 8, say goodbye to hubby when he left, watch some tv and fall back asleep until noon. the problem would be when i had to get up to do something by 9, but then, i'd nap or fall asleep at a "normal" hour (instead of 2, 2.30, 3 in the morning).
now that i'm back to work - woo hoo!- it's amazingly tiring to be at work. last week, on the 3rd day back, i could have taken a nap at lunch time. i came home, napped from 5:30-8, woke up for dinner, and fell dead-to-the-world asleep at 11 or so, and slept through the night.
today was a little better... easier to wake up and get rolling, but i forgot how long it takes me to get "work ready" in the morning... eh, its a work in progress...
PS, thanks for the good thoughts, everyone!
Yay on the new job!

You'll get back in the swing of things before long. The first paycheck should help.
:D

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#96584 Mar 11, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
And Tonka, that ropa vieja recipe looks awesome.
Does anyone recommend a specific brand of slow cooker? I'm thinking of spending around $50-$70.
Mine's a Rival. I think they are they big name. I think they own the trademark on the name crock pot

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#96585 Mar 11, 2014
This is Florida, unless it deals with fireworks or firearms, we are full of stupid idea's.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#96586 Mar 11, 2014
Timmy wrote:
The REPUBLICAN State legislature. Sorry Dog, you can't blame this one on the liberals.
<quoted text>
....flippin Floridian red neck idiots.... Ok then, if it's true, this is something I will disagree with Republicans on. See? I'm not just some sheep blindly following my leader, I can think for myself independently of them

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96587 Mar 11, 2014
Reading an article aboit gettimg good sleep. Says some studies have shown optimal sleeping temp between 60 & 68. WTF?

Where were those studies done? Alaska? My power bill would be thru the roof if I set my ac that low.Not to mention I'd need long pajamas and several layers of covers/ blankets. My HEATER kicks on at 69 degrees.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96588 Mar 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Up here too. Kind of weird looking at a package of fruit and thinking Cheluzal is there
Ha! Hey.....wait.....
;)
Actually PC is the winter strawberry capital of the world.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96589 Mar 11, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Mine's a Rival. I think they are they big name. I think they own the trademark on the name crock pot
I have a Hamilton Beach because it was cuter and smaller and more affordable (Target).

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#96590 Mar 11, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Reading an article aboit gettimg good sleep. Says some studies have shown optimal sleeping temp between 60 & 68. WTF?
Where were those studies done? Alaska? My power bill would be thru the roof if I set my ac that low.Not to mention I'd need long pajamas and several layers of covers/ blankets. My HEATER kicks on at 69 degrees.
That probably works better for us Northerners during the winter. I have my heat set at night between 67-68.

Summertime I do sleep better when I crank the air conditioning if I can forget that each time the air goes on it costs me money. Sometimes I swear when it kicks in I hear "ca-ching". During the summer day I try not to have it on except for the really humid days. I'm not a fan of air conditioning until it gets to about 87 and on up outside. The heat doesn't bother me during the day as much as the humidity. I'd be miserable in Florida (and other southern states).
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96591 Mar 11, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
....flippin Floridian red neck idiots.... Ok then, if it's true, this is something I will disagree with Republicans on. See? I'm not just some sheep blindly following my leader, I can think for myself independently of them
It's not the rednecks' idea! They wouldn't be able to keep up with it.
You have to remember, most of FL is now made of yankee transplants and illegals.
Us natives are a rare breed, and most of us are pretty cool and normal, as far as normal goes.
FL is the melting pot of the US now and we're getting a bad rep as a result.
Timmy

United States

#96592 Mar 11, 2014
As an old dog, can you learn new tricks too? If so, there may be hope for you and Chel if she is willing to train you.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96593 Mar 11, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
That probably works better for us Northerners during the winter. I have my heat set at night between 67-68.
Summertime I do sleep better when I crank the air conditioning if I can forget that each time the air goes on it costs me money. Sometimes I swear when it kicks in I hear "ca-ching". During the summer day I try not to have it on except for the really humid days. I'm not a fan of air conditioning until it gets to about 87 and on up outside. The heat doesn't bother me during the day as much as the humidity. I'd be miserable in Florida (and other southern states).
I guess I am spoiled/fortunate that I don't worry about the cost at all. I set my thermostat at my comfort level and when it comes on it comes on. Getting a big power bill just tells me, wow, it was hot this month. But it does not make me even consider turning the AC off and dealing with the heat. When we lost power after hurricane Charlie 10 years ago, we took the dogs to PetSmart and walked around for an hour or so just to bask in the glory of AC.

But more on this sleep article. There is a suggestion that you try to wake up on the weekend as close to your weekday wake up time as possible to maintain the same sleep cycle. I would rather gouge my eye out with a dinner fork than wake up at 6 am when I don't have to. Some Dr. also mentions that some of his patients have such differnt weekday/weekend sleep schedulesthat they experience the equivalent of jet lag and that even 2 hours difference hurts. This is so not me.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#96594 Mar 11, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I know - it's nuts! I'd rather be Eastern half the year and Central the rest. The idea is that there would be more daylight in the evening and it would help boost tourism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Patriot 1,275,260
abby 8-28-15 14 min Mister Tonka 4
ask amy 8-29-15 29 min Mister Tonka 3
Steve Wilkos : talk show host ? or simple mi... (Feb '08) 1 hr Tvlover 406
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Rogue Scholar 05 196,953
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Doug77 6,407
last post wins! (Dec '10) 3 hr Red_Forman 1,347
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages