Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#96545 Mar 10, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Good morning!
I'm looking for slow cooker recommendations. For the device itself and/or recipes.
And I'm voting for Race so we can get rid of DST.
We often use ours for really simple stuff.

Some chicken breasts and some bbq sauce. Let it cook for 6-8 hours on low, then mash chicken up with a fork and you have bbq chicken sandwiches.

Another favorite is chicken and cream of chicken soup. Let it cook all day, then mash chicken with a fork and add rice.

I've experimented and made chicken and dumplings and here is a good french dip:

http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/16239/easy-slo...

Use a dark beer, if you make the french dip.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#96546 Mar 10, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Good morning!
I'm looking for slow cooker recommendations. For the device itself and/or recipes.
I've done some good sherried mushrooms in mine, but then I realized they are just as good (and faster) on the stovetop and less of a pain to clean up. I usually use mine for roasts or stew. My friend does spaghetti and sauce and I wanted to try it, but lost the recipe.

I learned you have to be careful with corned beef or it will overcook and be dry (can't do it while I'm at work).

My co-worker is supposed to give me a good chicken recipe she tried last week, so I'll share it when I get it.

I have a regular slow cooker that came with a mini one for dips and queso.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#96547 Mar 10, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I've done some good sherried mushrooms in mine, but then I realized they are just as good (and faster) on the stovetop and less of a pain to clean up. I usually use mine for roasts or stew. My friend does spaghetti and sauce and I wanted to try it, but lost the recipe.
I learned you have to be careful with corned beef or it will overcook and be dry (can't do it while I'm at work).
My co-worker is supposed to give me a good chicken recipe she tried last week, so I'll share it when I get it.
I have a regular slow cooker that came with a mini one for dips and queso.
We use our mini one for rotel dip, mostly.

If you make rotel dip, try cooking a package of breakfast sausage ( I like spicy, but anything works), drain the grease and put the cooked sausage on paper towels (to get as much grease off) then add it in with the rotel dip. It's awesome.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96548 Mar 10, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
We totally missed church yesterday, too, because we overslept. I am going to be grumpy for at least a month now.
How late do you sleep?
Most cells auto-change your time and many churches start around 10 so even sleeping in, you could make it, or a smidge late.

It's just an hour. It's annoying but not a dramatic life-changing event.
I like having more sunlight at night and not having it blast me in the morning. This is the best one....but you can tell the sun moves as it gets closer to the next change....I would like to ask RACE to adjust it 30 minutes and leave it be.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Melrose Park, IL

#96549 Mar 10, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
How late do you sleep?
Most cells auto-change your time and many churches start around 10 so even sleeping in, you could make it, or a smidge late.
I like having more sunlight at night and not having it blast me in the morning. This is the best one....but you can tell the sun moves as it gets closer to the next change....I would like to ask RACE to adjust it 30 minutes and leave it be.
I was just getting used to the sun coming up as I leave in the morning, now it's dark again :/ And what are you doing here at this hour? No school again? How was the strawberry festival? Get plenty of strawberries?

Saint Petersburg, FL

#96550 Mar 10, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
How late do you sleep?
It's pretty bad but we slept till about 10:30 (which would have been 9:30). Church is at 11 and it about 20-30 minutes away, depending on traffic. I did change my clock, and
I was mad I didn't set the alarm, but usually my daughter is up by 7:30 (which, even with the time change, would have been fine) and I am usually up on the weekends around 8ish myself. If nothing else, the dogs will usually wake one of us to go out. None of that happened! I wouldn't have minded being even 15-20 minutes late, but even that was a long shot at that point!!!

It wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't have a kid. It would annoy me and I'd be grumpy, but it would be more of an annoyance. But with a kid, it's really a pain getting her back on track. And her standardized writing tests are this week as well as a couple of other big tests and I know she's going to be "off" for a few days. That's where I get mad about it.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#96551 Mar 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I was just getting used to the sun coming up as I leave in the morning, now it's dark again :/ And what are you doing here at this hour? No school again? How was the strawberry festival? Get plenty of strawberries?
Love how all the stores have Plant City strawberries this time of the year - and they're cheap!!!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#96552 Mar 10, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's pretty bad but we slept till about 10:30 (which would have been 9:30). Church is at 11 and it about 20-30 minutes away, depending on traffic. I did change my clock, and
I was mad I didn't set the alarm, but usually my daughter is up by 7:30 (which, even with the time change, would have been fine) and I am usually up on the weekends around 8ish myself. If nothing else, the dogs will usually wake one of us to go out. None of that happened! I wouldn't have minded being even 15-20 minutes late, but even that was a long shot at that point!!!
It wouldn't bother me as much if I didn't have a kid. It would annoy me and I'd be grumpy, but it would be more of an annoyance. But with a kid, it's really a pain getting her back on track. And her standardized writing tests are this week as well as a couple of other big tests and I know she's going to be "off" for a few days. That's where I get mad about it.
Something I used to do a week before the time change is slowly make my kid go to bed 15 minutes earlier. By the time the clocks changed, his inner clock had been reset a bit.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#96553 Mar 10, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Something I used to do a week before the time change is slowly make my kid go to bed 15 minutes earlier. By the time the clocks changed, his inner clock had been reset a bit.
This is an excellent idea! I think I will try it next time! Of course, next time is the good one: when we get our hour back!!!:D

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#96554 Mar 10, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Good morning!
This is one of my favorites. We eat it with tortillas.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cuban-Ropa-Vieja...

But all the big recipe sites have a good selection of crock pot recipes.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96555 Mar 10, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
It's pretty bad but we slept till about 10:30 (which would have been 9:30).
Bad? That's the time I woke up and I felt cheated out of that hour.

I don't understand all you people that need time to adjust.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96556 Mar 10, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
How old was he? My older one is 7 1/2 and I don't make him go to bed on the weekends the same time as during the week. Saturday night, ny wife told him it was time for bed and he said "I don't have school tomorrow. I'm gonna go down and watch tv with dad."
He came down and watch basketball. By 11:15 or 11:30 he was out. I left him there till it I was ready for bed. Then I walked him to his room.

Shifting sleep one hour does not seem a big problem to me. Some nights I'm in bed at 11:15. Other nights after midnight, pushing 1 am.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#96558 Mar 10, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
I don't understand all you people that need time to adjust.
When you don't have to be at work til 9, I can understand. When you have to leave the house at 5, it's a different story. Just as I was getting used to sunlight in the morning, it's now dark again. Reminding me why I hate winter. And I try to go to bed early when I have to work the next day. The sun being up till 9pm doesn't help.
END DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME! Where's the petition??

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96559 Mar 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
Just as I was getting used to sunlight in the morning, it's now dark again.
This plays zero role in my sleep and I fail to see how it pays a role in yours. Does the sun wake you up in the morning? I wake up when my alarm goes off. Whether its dark out or light out makes no difference. Alarm wakes me up, I get up and take care of what I need t take care of.(Make breakfast for the kids. Make lunch for the kids. Have my breakfast. Get myself ready. etc...)

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#96560 Mar 10, 2014
The sun doesn't necessarily affect how i wake up... when i was out of work, i could wake up around 8, say goodbye to hubby when he left, watch some tv and fall back asleep until noon. the problem would be when i had to get up to do something by 9, but then, i'd nap or fall asleep at a "normal" hour (instead of 2, 2.30, 3 in the morning).

now that i'm back to work - woo hoo!- it's amazingly tiring to be at work. last week, on the 3rd day back, i could have taken a nap at lunch time. i came home, napped from 5:30-8, woke up for dinner, and fell dead-to-the-world asleep at 11 or so, and slept through the night.

today was a little better... easier to wake up and get rolling, but i forgot how long it takes me to get "work ready" in the morning... eh, its a work in progress...

PS, thanks for the good thoughts, everyone!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#96561 Mar 10, 2014
so, your saying that you have been gettin up at 7 for the past few months, and now gettin up at 6 has not disrupted your cycle?
I dont buy that. Our internal clock is not linked to your alarm clock.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> This plays zero role in my sleep and I fail to see how it pays a role in yours. Does the sun wake you up in the morning? I wake up when my alarm goes off. Whether its dark out or light out makes no difference. Alarm wakes me up, I get up and take care of what I need t take care of.(Make breakfast for the kids. Make lunch for the kids. Have my breakfast. Get myself ready. etc...)

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96562 Mar 10, 2014
RACE wrote:
so, your saying that you have been gettin up at 7 for the past few months, and now gettin up at 6 has not disrupted your cycle?
I dont buy that. Our internal clock is not linked to your alarm clock.
<quoted text>
I get up at 6, so I guess that means today I got up at what would have been 5 last week. And I have no "cycle". With me, its about the amount of sleep I get, not whether that block is shifted forward or back by an hour. I went to bed at 1:15 last night. Its now 11:22 and I'm doing my taxes. Will go to bed whenever I feel like I've gotten to a good stopping point, or I finish them. Either way, I'll be up at 6 to get the chillrens ready for school.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96563 Mar 10, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Spring Break, yo!
"Again"--unpaid, FYI...
Festival was...festival. Too crowded and too overpriced.
I haven't eaten strawberries in forever....I did get too much cotton candy.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96564 Mar 10, 2014
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dang, that is sleeping in.
After my bro, my body just refuses to sleep in much anymore!
My dumb neighbor's car alarm going off this morning ruined any tiny bit if sleeping in on spring break I was hoping for.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#96565 Mar 10, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text> This plays zero role in my sleep and I fail to see how it pays a role in yours. Does the sun wake you up in the morning? I wake up when my alarm goes off. Whether its dark out or light out makes no difference. Alarm wakes me up, I get up and take care of what I need t take care of.(Make breakfast for the kids. Make lunch for the kids. Have my breakfast. Get myself ready. etc...)
I generally wake before my alarm. Even if I set the alarm earlier, I wake earlier. It's like my body knows...after bro's sitch gave me temporary insomnia, I have been messed up ever since. Finally sleep without meds, so that is progress!:)

In related news, my ghetto cell does not auto change the time! Even though it states it and I set it to, it won't. I use it as my alarm. Luckily, I learned that back in fall when it didn't hurt to be early to church! So I set it back before sleeping this time. ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min RealDave 1,417,466
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 25 min Into The Night 61,006
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 26 min TRD 70,938
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 26 min Hill4me 222,321
last post wins! (Dec '10) 33 min Concerned_American 2,407
abby8-24-16 1 hr liner 4
News a I want them in jail:a 8-year-old wounded in s... 1 hr grounded in reality 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages