Topix Chitown Regulars

“Your life is what you make it.”

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

#96258 Feb 23, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Were any of you Boy Scouts or Girl Scouts? Tonight is the Blue and Gold Award dinner and Ry is going to get his first ever badge (he is actually getting several badges because he started late and worked really hard to catch up to his friends).
This is probably a bigger deal for me than for him. My Grandfather, Father and Brothers were Boy Scouts. I am going to bring my Grandfather's scouting book and my Father's Wolf book (by then, they issued separate books for each level) so I can take a picture of Ry holding them.
Must remember that this is about him today, but I am so proud of him!
That's awesome!! I was never in girl scouts, but the church I went to had something similar, called Pathfinders. We worked on bagdes too. It was alot of fun. Campouts and stuff. When my son was that age, they really didn't have much of a group up where I live so he missed out on all that.

Location hidden

#96259 Feb 23, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We're going to be sad too tho they don't seem to care about the count. Thanking goodness for on-demand; we'll probably be watching stuff until they take it down.
Nunu cried, sobbed and then cried some more when Shani Davis failed to medal in his final competition. He's our hometown boy and his face is all over our rink.
She's decided to try out speed skating btw.
Let me ask you, do you think the suits had anything to do with their skating?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#96260 Feb 23, 2014
HoneyBear1 wrote:
<quoted text>Let me ask you, do you think the suits had anything to do with their skating?
Nope and Shani said as much.

Location hidden

#96261 Feb 23, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope and Shani said as much.
I was quite surprised the US team didn't do better. Shani is a great skater. I do miss Apollo though. He really was a joy to watch, and a cutie pie too.

Location hidden

#96262 Feb 23, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and I apologize for that. But there's really been nothing else to talk about lately. And I hate the olympics. Aren't they over yet? And forget curling, why is synchronized swimming a sport? If one of them drowns, do they ALL have to drown?
"If one drowns do they all have to drown?".. THATS FUNNY!! Thanks for giving me my morning giggle. I do like the winter games much more than the summer.

Location hidden

#96264 Feb 23, 2014
double intender wrote:
<quoted text>I got kicked out of Cub Scouts for eating a Brownie in my tent.
Lol.. Naughty.

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#96265 Feb 23, 2014
HoneyBear1 wrote:
<quoted text>Lol.. Ok, let me know where to send my check. Will I be given a bunch of duties while on probation?? Nice to meet you
I would tell you, but I fear you'll tell me that the checks in the mail.

Yes ... lots of duties ... <stern look>

:)

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96266 Feb 23, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>No one's perfect...NEWSFLASH : Fidelity Investments announced on Tuesday, that American worker's 401Ks have more than doubled, since 2009.....
That's great. Mine was up over 30% last year. However, I do not think Obama is responsible for the stock market gains. I honestly think the stock market woulda done about the same regardless of who was President. I also don't think folks who are much more knowledgeable about such things than you or I attribute such gains to Obama.

Our economy is not doing well. It could be worse, however. I don't blame Obama for this. Again, I don't think it would be that much different regardless of who was in the office.

It will take awhile to recover from the recession. It was quite disruptive. I, myself, lost a lot of money because of it. I did learn a thing or two from it, but it was a very expensive lesson. <ouch>. I am not alone.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96267 Feb 23, 2014
I am just so glad I didn't wake up to a tiger in my house and a Mike Tyson tattoo on my face.

A quitter would say they should drink less, but I think I need to start drinking more so as to increase my tolerance. I hardly drink anymore.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96268 Feb 23, 2014
GBF,

The stock market is going to rise over the long haul regardless too. Everyone and their grandma puts a percentage of their paycheck into their 401k because of the tax incentives for doing so. Tons of money gets Thrown into the stock market, regardless of P/E ratios too.

It's kind of like a pyramid scheme. I don't think its so good from a social planning standpoint ... not that this is Obama's fault.

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#96269 Feb 23, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great. Mine was up over 30% last year. However, I do not think Obama is responsible for the stock market gains. I honestly think the stock market woulda done about the same regardless of who was President. I also don't think folks who are much more knowledgeable about such things than you or I attribute such gains to Obama.
Our economy is not doing well. It could be worse, however. I don't blame Obama for this. Again, I don't think it would be that much different regardless of who was in the office.
It will take awhile to recover from the recession. It was quite disruptive. I, myself, lost a lot of money because of it. I did learn a thing or two from it, but it was a very expensive lesson. <ouch>. I am not alone.
this is one of the most sensible and honest comment written here in a long time. a lesson could be learned.
thank you.

Location hidden

#96270 Feb 23, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I would tell you, but I fear you'll tell me that the checks in the mail.
Yes ... lots of duties ... <stern look>
:)
wow, you read my mind, the check IS in the mail.. I love the word, "duty".. Dootie.. Sounds so funny.. You said dootie. Lol.*grins big*

Location hidden

#96271 Feb 23, 2014
So, change of pace if that's ok. I'm wondering what you all thought of the Bears decision to release Urlacher. I know it's an old story, but just wondering your take on it. I personally was pretty disappointed. How do you think the Bears will do this year? I've been anxiously awaiting a great season, and another Superbowl run for a few years now. Being a Bears fan living in Packer country can be dangerous at times. Lol

Location hidden

#96272 Feb 23, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
At the current rate of growth of my 401k I figure I should be able to retire at about the ago of 105.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96274 Feb 23, 2014
greenwichvillage wrote:
<quoted text>
this is one of the most sensible and honest comment written here in a long time. a lesson could be learned.
thank you.
Thanks. I try to be objective.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96275 Feb 23, 2014
HoneyBear1 wrote:
<quoted text> wow, you read my mind, the check IS in the mail.. I love the word, "duty".. Dootie.. Sounds so funny.. You said dootie. Lol.*grins big*
I said "excuse me lady. I'm doing my duty So pull down your..." Oh wait, we just met.:p

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96276 Feb 23, 2014
HoneyBear1 wrote:
So, change of pace if that's ok. I'm wondering what you all thought of the Bears decision to release Urlacher. I know it's an old story, but just wondering your take on it. I personally was pretty disappointed. How do you think the Bears will do this year? I've been anxiously awaiting a great season, and another Superbowl run for a few years now. Being a Bears fan living in Packer country can be dangerous at times. Lol
I went to college in Madison during the Favre era, when they won the supe rbowl. I donít think the Bears beat them one time during my 4 years. So, hear ya.

Urlacher, would have been nice to sign, but he wanted to be overpaid. Remember what made him great was his speed. Without his exceptional speed, Iím not even sure he is in the NFL. Speed is one of the first things you lose with age, unfortunately. He had lost a few steps. His health was also a liability. He wasnít really worth any more money than the Bears were offering and he didnít want to play for that much.

The biggest negative is that they lost their defensive leader and play caller in the same year they lost their defensive coordinator, but Iím not so sure that is worth overpaying.

Also remember, this is the same guy that threatened to hold out and basically held the Bears hostage for more money when he was already under contract. Maybe Iíd do the same thing if I were him Ö I dunno, but that was a bit of a sore spot with me. And who knows what that cost them. Maybe but for that they sign a difference maker and with a team as good as they were Ö maybe that puts them over the top.

I think the Bears are good on offense, but defense is a real liability. How they do all depends on how quick they can rebuild. I donít see them being an elite team this year. I think maybe a few games over 500, with an outside chance for the playoffs.

I like Trestman and I like Emery Ö although the signing of Shea McClellin was baffling at the time and still to this day. Interestingly, my bro told me on Chicago Sports radio they were jokingly discussing whether he might be the greatest draft pick ever, just due to the fact that he injured Aaron Rodgers, LMAO. That made me laugh. Guy does nothing, except injure Aaron Rodgers and they retire his number, lol.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96277 Feb 23, 2014
HoneyBear1 wrote:
<quoted text> At the current rate of growth of my 401k I figure I should be able to retire at about the ago of 105.
I got whacked with the b1tch stick when the recession hit. I had a lot of bills (my mortgage was close to 4k a month) and I wiped out my 401k. I've dusted myself off and gotten back on the horse. I hope to retire in my late 50s, but I save a lot and make sacrifices to do so.

In a few years I'm wanting to roll some of it into a self directed IRA and go into some real estate. The whole 401k thing seems like a pyramid scheme to me. With the tax incentives everyone and their grandma puts money into it each paycheck. Money going into the market has little to do with P/E or value and more so to do with the fact that it is advantageous from a tax perspective and the fact that most folks get a company match. I have mixed feelings about that from a policy perspective.

Location hidden

#96279 Feb 23, 2014
bare bottomline wrote:
<quoted text>That he retired and did not squeeze in another year with another team pretty much illustrates that the Bears made the right call.
Now, how can you be talking about football when the Cubs are getting ready for a pennant run?????
Well, I know he said he really wanted to retire a Bear. Kinda sad it ended that way. I wish they hadn't treated him that way, cuz I think had they parted ways on better terms he would have been an awesome defensive coach at some point. Anyway, just my opinion. Baseball.. Well, while I do love the Cubs, and cheer for them regularly, my heart belongs to the Brewers. When we moved from Illinois, as a kid, we moved to Milwaukee, and I was lucky enough to live there in 82 when the Brewers went to the World Series. I still hate the Cardinals. Lol. A few years back I actually got to meet Gorman Thomas and Robin Yount. Was the experience of a lifetime. Yount is my all time favorite player. It would be nice to see either the Cubs or Brewers make a World Series appearance.

Location hidden

#96280 Feb 23, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "excuse me lady. I'm doing my duty So pull down your..." Oh wait, we just met.:p
Is this all part of the initiation process?? Ok, if I must, but be careful, I have an adorable back side.. Again, you said "duty" *giggles*

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Chicagoan by Birth 1,640,504
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 242,994
HRC loves Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. 10 hr Rules for Rubes 2
Well, Well Whatdayaknow? 10 hr Negrah History 12
Sarah Sanders is a Hog 13 hr Burp-azz hole 2
Help me 13 hr Negrah rape 3
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 13 hr Nannabella 11,534

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages