Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Brother and his wife, 3rd row turned into 1st row, and we managed to score drumsticks, which the entire band signed for us. Brother had them all sign a $100 bill too.
Good time was had by all!
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Neat. Alone or with someone?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Hey,
I just bought a sony portable speaker thingy. It has a mound for in ipod/pad whatever. But I have an LG phone. Is there some kind of adapter to go from LG to ipad?

“This is SPARTA!”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

RACE wrote:
Hey,
I just boug ht a sony portable speaker thingy. It has a mound for in ipod/pad whatever. But I have an LG phone. Is there some kind of adapter to go from LG to ipad?
Nope. The best you can hope for is for the speaker to have a cable that can plug into the phone's headphone jack.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Yes, it does, it will also accept bluetooth.
Why is such an adapter not made?
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Nope. The best you can hope for is for the speaker to have a cable that can plug into the phone's headphone jack.
SUBjugated

Roselle, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did she make you sit in the corner and watch her do that with another guy?
:-p
Yikes! Personal experience?

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

RACE wrote:
Yes, it does, it will also accept bluetooth.
Why is such an adapter not made?
<quoted text>
My educated guess is that the dock is designed to interact with the iphone's operating system IOS. So when you plug the iphone in, there is some computer talk going on between the devices. Creating a physical adapter to allow an android device to plug into the dock does nothing to address the fact that the doc does not 'speak android'.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Mister Tonka wrote:
Nope. The best you can hope for is for the speaker to have a cable that can plug into the phone's headphone jack.
You might have to get the cable separately. I've got one of those speakers for my ipad, but I can plug my phone into it via the jack-thingy (I believe that's the official, technical term) and play Pandora with it. Works just fine.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

That seems stupid. Your only asking the device to read and play a standard set of files (mp3, wav etc) It should not be that hard to build an interface that can search for those types of files on mac, android or windows devices.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>My educated guess is that the dock is designed to interact with the iphone's operating system IOS. So when you plug the iphone in, there is some computer talk going on between the devices. Creating a physical adapter to allow an android device to plug into the dock does nothing to address the fact that the doc does not 'speak android'.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

RACE wrote:
That seems stupid. Your only asking the device to read and play a standard set of files (mp3, wav etc) It should not be that hard to build an interface that can search for those types of files on mac, android or windows devices.
<quoted text>
But that's not how apple devices work. You can drag and drop mp3 files from your computer onto an android device and the device will recognize them and play them just fine.

Unless things have changed, which I highly doubt, you can't do that with an iphone. You HAVE to use iTunes(Apple's proprietary software) to transfer music files to the device and that software maintains a proprietary database of what music is on the device.

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

So, the one's and zeroes on an ipad are different than the one's and zeroes on an android?
I can see that for software, but not a music file.
Whatever, it makes my head hurt.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>But that's not how apple devices work. You can drag and drop mp3 files from your computer onto an android device and the device will recognize them and play them just fine.
Unless things have changed, which I highly doubt, you can't do that with an iphone. You HAVE to use iTunes(Apple's proprietary software) to transfer music files to the device and that software maintains a proprietary database of what music is on the device.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Frigging snow.

Shoveling frigging snow at 8 o'clock at night so the village won't plow me in before morning.

The dulcet tones on a winter's evening of steel scraping pavement with the drone of snow blowers from 3 houses down.

And tomorrow and Wednesday?. In the 40's so all the frigging snow will melt and then freeze again overnight to give us frigging black ice.

And then it will snow again later in the week ...unless we get freezing rain instead.

Okay , so we don't get earthquakes and snowstorms together and we don't get hurricanes, but... frigging snow.

“This is SPARTA!”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

RACE wrote:
So, the one's and zeroes on an ipad are different than the one's and zeroes on an android?
I can see that for software, but not a music file.
Whatever, it makes my head hurt.
<quoted text>
The files themselves are not different, just how they are accessed.

Again, this is my rough understanding. But one way you could look at it is, Android systems just look directly at the files and determine which ones are music files and therefore able to be played with the music app, regardless of how the file was delivered to the device.

iDevices keep an internal database of the music files delivered to the device thru iTunes. If you go back door and connect your iDevice as an external drive and just drag music files onto the device without going thru iTunes, they do not get added to the internal database, and therefore the music program does not even see them. The music program completely depends on that database to determine what music is present.

That being the case, accessories designed for Apple iDevices are looking for that database and have no idea how to scan the device otherwise.

Therefore
Auntie Aisle Sittef

Chicago Ridge, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2014

Judged:

PEllen wrote:
Frigging snow.
Shoveling frigging snow at 8 o'clock at night so the village won't plow me in before morning.
The dulcet tones on a winter's evening of steel scraping pavement with the drone of snow blowers from 3 houses down.
And tomorrow and Wednesday?. In the 40's so all the frigging snow will melt and then freeze again overnight to give us frigging black ice.
And then it will snow again later in the week ...unless we get freezing rain instead.
Okay , so we don't get earthquakes and snowstorms together and we don't get hurricanes, but... frigging snow.
It's been between 30* and 33* down here & raining... I was out driving on an unknown to me highway in the rain during rush hour... I had gps & my dad (who reads analog maps before going to a new city) giving me advice. I was in the mood to go "where I've been before" even if there was a more direct way... So I did, but the NB street was different from the SB street we took, so the gps was yelling, dad was advising and I needed a "regular" map for some perspective so I pulled out my phone for google maps...

Ten years ago, I'd still be wandering southern Ohio, but today, I had many options to triangulate hmm location...

PS, rainy rush hour here is nothing compared to (a) Chicago rush hour (2) without rain...2

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

PEllen wrote:
Frigging snow.
Grrr. Parked my car at a school a block away because there was no way I was getting down my alley. Neighbor tried and got stuck. Spent an hour digging her out. City didn't plow. Had to call a private company to plow my alley. Just now dug out my car and got it into the garage. I'm gonna complain to the city tomorrow. I pay my taxes, why the hell isn't my alley getting plowed?? Had enough snow this winter!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

PEllen wrote:
Frigging snow.
I have a cousin that still lives in west Michigan....Anyway, she is kinda over staying there after this winter....she is ready to retire and have been helping her find townhouses and condos down here,,,,it's amazing how many properties, all over the country you can look at on topix...You and everyone else up there, are hero's for surviving this winter....on TV, it looks absolutely brutal.....

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

PEllen wrote:
Frigging snow.
At 7pm I was watching my neighbor from my couch snowblowing all my snow off the talk and driveway.

I have THE best neighbor.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Judged:

Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>The files themselves are not different, just how they are accessed.
Again, this is my rough understanding. But one way you could look at it is, Android systems just look directly at the files and determine which ones are music files and therefore able to be played with the music app, regardless of how the file was delivered to the device.
iDevices keep an internal database of the music files delivered to the device thru iTunes. If you go back door and connect your iDevice as an external drive and just drag music files onto the device without going thru iTunes, they do not get added to the internal database, and therefore the music program does not even see them. The music program completely depends on that database to determine what music is present.
That being the case, accessories designed for Apple iDevices are looking for that database and have no idea how to scan the device otherwise.
Therefore
Sorta like Apple devices speak Greek and the rest of the world speaks English.

“It made sense at the time....”

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2014

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
At 7pm I was watching my neighbor from my couch snowblowing all my snow off the talk and driveway.
I have THE best neighbor.
the neighbors on both sides of my parents have snow blowers and seem to enjoy bieing out in the snow... for several years now, my parents only have had to clear their front stairs, right behind the cars and any other clean up they deem necessary. sometimes, some of hte neighbors will do one pass of the sidewalks a couple properties beyond their own wehn out snow blowing. that barely helps us, as we have a long driveway, and it opens to nearly 3 cars wide at the back...

but "oh drat" for me... i'm not quite tall enough to handle teh snow blower that we have.. so i get to mow the lawn and hubby clears the snow. it's a constant discussion on who "wins" that division of labor...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 94,481 - 94,500 of96,123
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]