Topix Chitown Regulars

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#96034 Feb 11, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
By the way, where I went on vacation? There actually was no tv and very limited internet access. I went on a safari in Africa.
Seriously? Were you hunting white rhino?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#96035 Feb 11, 2014
You went camping at Lion Country Safari?
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>By the way, where I went on vacation? There actually was no tv and very limited internet access. I went on a safari in Africa.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#96036 Feb 11, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>By the way, where I went on vacation? There actually was no tv and very limited internet access. I went on a safari in Africa.
F' yeah. That sounds awesome.

Location hidden

#96037 Feb 11, 2014
Guess who's juror number 12?

Ackkkkk!

#96038 Feb 11, 2014
Didn't you tell them you would not need to witness a trial because you could spot a guilty person straight away?
Sublime1 wrote:
Guess who's juror number 12?
Ackkkkk!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#96040 Feb 12, 2014

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#96041 Feb 12, 2014
Hey Sub- did they call off court because of the weather

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#96042 Feb 13, 2014

Location hidden

#96043 Feb 13, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Hey Sub- did they call off court because of the weather
No. They kept court house open just for us to deliberate. We found him not guilty. It was a DWI case with Jerry Springer mixed in.

Jury was evenly split at first, but we convinced those who wanted to vote guilty to vote not guilty. We deliberated for 10 minutes.

Ride home sucked and I have 4x4. I have to start shoveling here. I don't know how that's going to go because we had snow ... Then ice ... More snow today. Nasty.

Location hidden

#96044 Feb 13, 2014
My work is closed today too. Pretty much everything is closed.

Location hidden

#96045 Feb 13, 2014
Yesterday, there was no snow on the ground at 1:00-1:15 when I came back to the courthouse after lunch. By 3:00-3:30 you could hardly even tell where the roads were when you were driving. I don't recall a snow storm ever coming on so fast.

Location hidden

#96047 Feb 13, 2014
The funny thing is. There was lawyering the court room. Then there was lawyering in the deliberation room. Snow storm or not, it was either going to be a hung jury or not guilty, because I wasn't going to change my vote. When we first went around and asked if we felt he was guilty or not, I came out and said, non-guilty, that there was no way I would vote him guilty, and that I was surprised the prosecution even brought the case to trial.

The defendant was an elderly black man. Two field sobriety tests = one legged stand). Outside of ticky tacky things noted by the police officer who was not trailed by NHTSA to give such tests, I thought he did fine given his age. Even if he failed, them, according to NHTSA statistics folks who fail such tests have a blood alcohol over .01 only about 70% of the time they fail these tests, which is not beyond a reasonable doubt.

Officer said he started the walk and turn test before he was told to and took an extra step coming back, but he walked a straight line. When the officer took the test, he took an extra step after he was done, too.

On the one legged stand test, the officer said he used his arms for balance (officer demonstrated teh test for us in the court room and he was wobbly and he only did it for a few seconds). The officer said he messed up counting as he did the one legged stand in some way that the police officer could not recall. The defendant kept his balance though for 30 seconds.

For the breathalyzer, he had to blow for up to 10 seconds and he couldn't do so. He kept trying, but the machine would time out. The police officer said he was doing it on purpose, but that was his opinion. He was an old man. If he were younger I would have thought he was messing with the police and intentionally not blowing long enough, but with his age, it's possible that he actually couldn't blow that long.

I figured the guy was probably impaired (he admitted to having two small bottles of kettle one (like they give on an airplane) an hour before he showed up to the house where the police had been called for a domestic disturbance), but I didn't feel the state proved its case beyond a reasonable doubt. IME, when someone says they have only had 2, that means they've probably had a lot more, but then I think well, he did keep his balance on both tests, which to me suggests maybe he didn't have a lot of alcohol, especially given his age.

The police were sloppy too and didn't fill out some forms that they normally do when giving these tests. These forms contain a lot of details that the officers' notes did not discuss. The officer couldn't even tell us how he messed up the count. It could have simply been counting one, two, three, and not one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand, like he was supposed to.

Location hidden

#96048 Feb 13, 2014
Two field sobriety tests = walk and turn + one legged stand, I meant.

Location hidden

#96049 Feb 13, 2014
OMFG, I would be so pissed:

http://www.weather.com/video/watch-man-gets-b... ?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#96050 Feb 13, 2014
Just read a l post on a site called All Pro Dad on how to stay connected with your kids.

#8 Hug your daughter or somebody else will.

HAH!

#96051 Feb 13, 2014
Hey! Who pulled ding-dong's posts? I thought that sheit was just make believe...

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#96052 Feb 13, 2014
Well that was silly to pull them. Didn't bother me one way or another. There wasn't anything on the posts that especially stood out that I recall.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#96054 Feb 13, 2014
Re pulled posts.

Another non Topix site that I go to has announced or re-announced their policy about being banned. Anyone who runs a history of prior posts on someone and posts the history is automatically banned, no appeal.

One of the pulled posts here was a comment about doing a compilation of prior posts so it appears that the policy ges across several message boards
temporary poster

Rolling Meadows, IL

#96055 Feb 13, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Re pulled posts.
Another non Topix site that I go to has announced or re-announced their policy about being banned. Anyone who runs a history of prior posts on someone and posts the history is automatically banned, no appeal.
One of the pulled posts here was a comment about doing a compilation of prior posts so it appears that the policy ges across several message boards
Non-Topix sites probably don't have jurisdiction with Topix TOS. Check with a lawyer on that and be grateful they can't use the State Department TOS and kill posters with drones. <---- Sarcasm! Or yank posts "just because" they feel like it. Or because someone punked them years ago...

Location hidden

#96056 Feb 13, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Re pulled posts.

Topix has repeatedly banned his IP address. He just gets a new one (it's easy to do) and uses a proxy server to change it. I presume that's why his ISP location changes all the time.

While most folks would not stick around someplace they are not welcome at, there isn't much a website can do with the one who refuses to leave. It would be like if you owned a business and some guy kept showing up everyday even though he was told he's not welcome or allowed in. It's bat shyte crwzy, but folks like that exist IRL and cyber world. In fact, they are probably one and the same...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Hill4me 217,059
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min Gunner 1,396,356
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr litesong 60,174
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr GEORGIA 8,927
last post wins! (Dec '10) 6 hr Retired SOF 2,157
last post wins! (Apr '13) 6 hr Retired SOF 1,126
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 8 hr Ize Fund 70,734

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages