Topix Chitown Regulars

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#96005 Feb 11, 2014
RACE wrote:
I think jury duty is everyone's civic duty, and nobody should gripe about it.
That being said, it is a pain in the butt, and I soooo dont want to be responsible for sentencing someone to death.
I don't mind serving. What I mind is them having me show up, waste a effing day, when they are not even ready to call a jury...

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#96006 Feb 11, 2014
Years ago, I got picked for a jury and spent a week doing that vs. work. The only downside was having to use vacation time because that employer didn't pay me for jury duty. But I hated that job, so I get what Tonka is saying.

A couple of years ago, when I got a summons while at my current job, I would have loved to serve, the case sounded really interesting... but after two days I wasn't picked and job-wise, I was relieved. I spent two days sitting in court and then coming to work for a couple of hours afterward. There's a lot of stuff that only I do here, so it just piles up. That's why taking vacations is a PITA too.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#96007 Feb 11, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Years ago, I got picked for a jury and spent a week doing that vs. work. The only downside was having to use vacation time because that employer didn't pay me for jury duty. But I hated that job, so I get what Tonka is saying.
A couple of years ago, when I got a summons while at my current job, I would have loved to serve, the case sounded really interesting... but after two days I wasn't picked and job-wise, I was relieved. I spent two days sitting in court and then coming to work for a couple of hours afterward. There's a lot of stuff that only I do here, so it just piles up. That's why taking vacations is a PITA too.
I'm not that indispensible and don't get penalized for jury duty. Vacation days? Oh hell no. Then I WOULD be pissed about gettong called

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#96008 Feb 11, 2014
Shirley Temple died. She was 85

After being a child star she was a diplomat and was married to one man for 55 years.

Anybody named Brittany, or Lindsay or Justin paying attention?

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96009 Feb 11, 2014
Woo hoo. They let us out for lunch. I can charge my phone.

My wife got called within the last year for jury duty, but it was at the municipal court house. This is for the state. Maybe if I get called it will be an interesting case.

On another note, they are calling for 8 to 12 inches of snow for us tomorrow and into Thursday. Seriously, that is going to be like the apocalypse down here. They just are not equipped to handle that. The kids might be out of school the rest of the year!!11

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96010 Feb 11, 2014
Who couldn't love Shirley Temple?

I don't think younger kids know of her, but is say from my generation and earlier she was well known.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#96011 Feb 11, 2014
I have been called 4 times, 3 of those I was sent home before lunch. The one time the guy copped a plea right before the trial started.

In all cases, the judges went out of their way to thank us for being there, they were quite respectful.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96012 Feb 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
After being a child star she was a diplomat and was married to one man for 55 years.
??
Have Justin or Lindsay been married already? I don't think so. And why lump him in with them? Has he had any episodes of poor behavior or judgement like the other 2? I'm not aware of any.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#96013 Feb 11, 2014
PEllen wrote:
Thought she would have been much older....guess she was very young in very old movies.....She was huge culturally and eased alotta fear, during the depression....

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#96014 Feb 11, 2014
Aisle Sitter wrote:
<quoted text>
here one gets their $17 (i'd almost rather the poke in the eye, but hey..) and can't get fired for being out. SOMEtimes, employers will still pay (or not dock you) your regular pay. Some, i've heard, make you sign over your $17 and will then pay the full day. i think most quit doing that because it was costing more to deal with it than it was worth.
That's how it works with us. We get the $17.50 check and deposit it in our account and then write to company a check for $17.50, but we get paid for the whold day. It seems stupid for so little money.

Now, we had a woman who was on a grand jury. She was off every Wednesday for over a year. Boy, did she have some stories to tell...after the jury was over of course.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96015 Feb 11, 2014
RACE wrote:
I have been called 4 times, 3 of those I was sent home before lunch. The one time the guy copped a plea right before the trial started.

In all cases, the judges went out of their way to thank us for being there, they were quite respectful.
To me, respectful and basic common decency is:

We aren't ready to call a jury right now and we might not need to call a jury. So rather than have all you people waiting around all day, in a room (after my phone battery died, I thought my goodness this is almost like being in in-school detention), with jack shyte to do, except dream up ways to stave off the boredom, we are going to let you leave. If it turns out we need a jury, we will select from tomorrow's pool. Thanks!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#96017 Feb 11, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>??
Have Justin or Lindsay been married already? I don't think so. And why lump him in with them? Has he had any episodes of poor behavior or judgement like the other 2? I'm not aware of any.
Where do you vacation? The moon? Is there no TV or internet access? First he vandalized his neighbors home, then got busted for weed, then drag racing, and I think there was a DUI in there somewhere.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#96018 Feb 11, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you vacation? The moon? Is there no TV or internet access? First he vandalized his neighbors home, then got busted for weed, then drag racing, and I think there was a DUI in there somewhere.
Yep. Justin is the male version of the other 2.

How long was that vacation, there, Tonka? ;)

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#96019 Feb 11, 2014
RACE wrote:
I think jury duty is everyone's civic duty, and nobody should gripe about it.
That being said, it is a pain in the butt, and I soooo dont want to be responsible for sentencing someone to death.
Ya, well that's what someone here thought until his wife got called and ended up being picked on a murder case. They had 3 young kids. The trial went on for 2 months.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96020 Feb 11, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. Justin is the male version of the other 2.
How long was that vacation, there, Tonka? ;)
Guess I don't watch enough TMZ. I was not aware of amy of that.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96021 Feb 11, 2014
Oh, wait! You guys are talkin bout new Justin: Bieber. I was talking bout the one who's been around as long as the 2 chicks: Timberlake.

He's who I don't think has been caught doing anything scandalous.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#96022 Feb 11, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Where do you vacation? The moon? Is there no TV or internet access? First he vandalized his neighbors home, then got busted for weed, then drag racing, and I think there was a DUI in there somewhere.
He's a belieber and is just in denial, I bet.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#96023 Feb 11, 2014
I don't really pay much attention to either, but Beiber is so far off my radar that when I hear a reference to 'Justin', Timberlake is the first celeb to come to mind. He's at least been in movies I liked and done funny SNL and Jimmy Fallon stuff.

Beiber? I could not pick out a single song by him.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#96024 Feb 11, 2014
Timberlake? Is he still alive? It's all about the Beeb now baby. Get with the times, man

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#96025 Feb 11, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Oh, wait! You guys are talkin bout new Justin: Bieber. I was talking bout the one who's been around as long as the 2 chicks: Timberlake.
He's who I don't think has been caught doing anything scandalous.
Timberlake keeps his nose out of the news. And he has been around. Saw the post further down. I don't watch TMZ. That's what was amazing to me -- if I know about it the whole world probably knows about it b/c I don't really follow the "stars" so much.

I didn't even know who that dude was that sang at half time at the Super Bowl. Bruno Mars.(Had to Google that just now to get the name.) He was good, though.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 7 min Reader 1,684,857
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 36 min Justice Dale 243,255
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr Alain Vain 11,784
Sick of commercials with mix couples 4 hr KIDS WAKE UP 14
Trump is A 5 hr Bad deal 386
Little Dicky Durbin needs to know this. 14 hr DurbinDicksAmerica 2
maxine waters 14 hr HER pussyStinks 12

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages