cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#95796 Jan 30, 2014
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
That's sad and a true shame. But it goes to show we need to teach our kids coping skills and not coddle them to the point of thinking their life is over if their feelings are ever hurt.
Life isn't all rainbows and unicorns. You're gonna get picked last, you're gonna lose a game, you're gonna fail chemistry, you're gonna get passed up for that job or promotion, you're gonna get dumped. And best of all, life's not fair! Deal.
I'm glad you mentioned it.
I teach 8th grade. For 12 years now....and kids definitely are too fragile!
I have seen oodles of anti-bullying programs. Problem is, there will always be sociopaths running around and evil is everywhere. No one seems to be teaching kids to deal with dirtbags they will inevitably meet in the world.

I always speak to my kids about suicide. How not to end their life for a temporary moron. There are tears shed. The problem sometimes is that the bullied child will NOT block the nastiness on FB or whatnot.

We had a girl in a town near us who moved schools and her parents did everything to protect her from nasty words. The girl logged back on and tracked down what people were saying.....why? Why must they know what idiots think? It baffles and saddens me.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#95797 Jan 30, 2014
In other news:

my mom is in the hospital. She had serious pains and her appendix had burst. Whilst in there, they found pneomonia in both lungs.
Today they find all her minerals and levels of basic homeostatic items are low, severely low. Like, how could her (hopefully soon-to-be ex) doctor not notice them?

Her body is attacking and destroying itself so she's being pumped full of everything under the sun.
Maybe the appendix was a blessing in disguise to find this..?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#95798 Jan 30, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
Yes. All that can be fixed by modern medicine. Wishing her a speedy recovery. And hopefully, she'll get a new doctor.

And it's a shame that people have crappy doctors and have to pay out of pocket to see a doctor out of network. Had a buddy at work complain about this to me just today.

Well, maybe for some, losing your doctor under Obamacare is a GOOD thing!

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#95800 Jan 30, 2014
As long as they're promised work, they'll be much better off than now!

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#95801 Jan 31, 2014

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#95802 Jan 31, 2014

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#95803 Jan 31, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
In other news:

my mom is in the hospital. She had serious pains and her appendix had burst. Whilst in there, they found pneomonia in both lungs.
Today they find all her minerals and levels of basic homeostatic items are low, severely low. Like, how could her (hopefully soon-to-be ex) doctor not notice them?

Her body is attacking and destroying itself so she's being pumped full of everything under the sun.
Sending prayers for your Mom and for you. Like your family hasn't been through enough medical crap in the last few years.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#95804 Jan 31, 2014
My heart goes out to the family of the boy who killed himself. I did not know him, but my friend and his daughter (who I know) did.

I do not blame teenagers for not being able to see past the drama and the hopelessness of today. I remember being an overwhelmed middle schooler with parents who were doing their best, but had pressures of their own to deal with and didn't know how to handle my acting out. I can't imagined what would have happened if I had been abused or bullied or had access to the internet on top of that.

And I'm sure that I have shared with you in the past that one of my friends did commit suicide by shooting himself in the bathroom at the public school on Halloween when we were freshmen.

So, I am not judgmental to anyone who is going through that. I love resources like The Trevor Project for gay and straight kids. The message "it gets better" is so, so important that it can't be repeated enough. It is like AA's "just for today". Break things down into manageable pieces.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#95805 Jan 31, 2014
Well,
She will never have to worry about that flaring up again! One less thing to worry about.
cheluzal wrote:

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#95806 Jan 31, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
In other news:
That's horrible! It's going to take her awhile to get back on her feet. That's a lot of things for one human body to deal with.

Hope she's starting to feel better. Just having that appendix out and oxygen to her lungs has got to help tremendously.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#95807 Jan 31, 2014
Going after bullies and teaching kids that bullying is wrong is not coddling.

I think, though, also teaching kids to stand up for themselves and others in a positive way would be a good thing to add to all the "bully is wrong" teaching.

Telling kids to go to an adult when it happens isn't helping the situation when it's going on. They need the tools on how to deal with a real bully when it's happening.

Like it or not, preteens and teenagers have a lot of angst. You can say "get over it" but they are full of hormones and feelings that they are just not mature enough to know how to fully handle it all.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#95808 Jan 31, 2014
So... weekend plans? Superbowl plans?

I'm taking a vacation day on Monday. Not that I'm planning to get wasted for the Super Bowl (although if there was ever a time & event to start smoking pot, this would be it), but my vacation rolled over in August and I haven't taken a single day yet. Gotta start using them.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#95809 Jan 31, 2014
I guess part of my weekend plans should include shovelling snow.

It being the weekend, that's good enough for me.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#95810 Jan 31, 2014
Toj wrote:
Going after bullies and teaching kids that bullying is wrong is not coddling.
I think, though, also teaching kids to stand up for themselves and others in a positive way would be a good thing to add to all the "bully is wrong" teaching.
Telling kids to go to an adult when it happens isn't helping the situation when it's going on. They need the tools on how to deal with a real bully when it's happening.
Like it or not, preteens and teenagers have a lot of angst. You can say "get over it" but they are full of hormones and feelings that they are just not mature enough to know how to fully handle it all.
There's being bullied, and there's being a cry baby. "Wah, Johnny hurt my feelings, wah." That's life, learn to get over it. I might even make the argument that getting bullied is GOOD for kids.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#95811 Jan 31, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
I'm taking a vacation day on Monday. Not that I'm planning to get wasted for the Super Bowl (although if there was ever a time & event to start smoking pot, this would be it), but my vacation rolled over in August and I haven't taken a single day yet. Gotta start using them.
Tonight: maybe go out for dinner, maybe order in. I've been craving Indian...

Sat: Ice skating lessons in the AM, and if we get the snow they're predicting, sledding in the afternoon. We're all about those winter sports.:D

Sun: We will watch the Puppy Bowl. I could care less about football. Blasphemy, I know.

Have fun on your vacation day! Sleeping in is the best.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#95812 Jan 31, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
My mother wants to drag me to church for their "superbowl"-some kind of soup tasting deelio, and meet the new minister, but we're supposed to get like 12 inches of snow on Sat, so I might not be going anywhere

Neda, stay with me!

#95813 Jan 31, 2014
Weekend
Helping buddy move on Sat, Sun I wont be able to consume as much beer as normal. I have a meeting with the company owner on Monday, so I ...Shoot, gotta get a haircut.

Neda, stay with me!

#95814 Jan 31, 2014
Shoot, cant get haircut, helping buddy move!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#95815 Jan 31, 2014
Haircut should take 1/2 tops. Take a 1/2 hour out of the day and get your haircut.

You can still help the person move.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#95816 Jan 31, 2014
That's 1/2 hour tops.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min DBWriter 1,115,200
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 13 min Kristy 47,021
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 15 min Frijoles 69,523
PerfettoPerformanc2010 on eBay 19 min BarefootJoe 6
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 178,603
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 50,046
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Wolverine33 4,743
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Chicago Jobs

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago