Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 09

Milwaukee, WI

#95592 Jan 21, 2014
EEE wrote:
All our lives are fuller for having known Angela.
I hope to hold her wisdom and humor in my heart for the rest of my life and live with honesty, love, and irreverence.
Tripoli - is that really you? I thought you were gone forever.

If one thing that Angela did - it was to bring people together. Even in adversity, she generally used humor - and she would readily admit her own faults.

I will miss her so much - even though I've never met her - i feel like I know her better than anyone else I've never met -(and many that i have met). I now regret never having made the trip to the twin cities and actually meeting her in person.

Angela - no one will ever truly be able to take your place for all that you did. I'm sure almost everyone here will miss you terribly.
Timmy

United States

#95593 Jan 21, 2014
Driving is permitting on many of the beaches in Volusia County. The exceptions are sea turtle nesting areas.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Do they still allow driving on the beach there?....The salt spray must play hell on the cars....i know people along the beach down here, have to be vigilant about washing it off their cars....Where i am from up north, it rots the cars from the bottom up....

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#95594 Jan 21, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
On FB there was a post about a guy who used milk cartons to freeze colored water (outside) and used them as bricks and built a really cool fort.
I don't have little kids but still that would be a cool thing to do during one of our artic blasts.
Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing that. I'll have to investigate that because the kids will think that's awesome.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#95595 Jan 21, 2014
I know there are places where you still can, but I dont know if Daytona is still one of them.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Do they still allow driving on the beach there?....The salt spray must play hell on the cars....i know people along the beach down here, have to be vigilant about washing it off their cars....Where i am from up north, it rots the cars from the bottom up....

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#95596 Jan 21, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing that. I'll have to investigate that because the kids will think that's awesome.
The guy used slush as "mortor". If you do it you need to take a picture. You also will need a lot of milk cartons.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#95597 Jan 21, 2014
Um -- that's "mortar".

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#95598 Jan 21, 2014
Timmy wrote:
Driving is permitting on many of the beaches in Volusia County. The exceptions are sea turtle nesting areas.
<quoted text>
I know we all dislike, losing certain freedoms, but i alway's thought that was a questionable and unsafe idea....

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#95599 Jan 21, 2014
RACE wrote:
I know there are places where you still can, but I dont know if Daytona is still one of them.
<quoted text>
I knew a guy that drove his Turbo 300ZX....on that Daytona beach...even let some of the surf, run under his car....month's later, he showed me all the corrosion on the Alloy wheels....all the polished finish had been destroyed....

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#95600 Jan 21, 2014
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
The guy used slush as "mortor". If you do it you need to take a picture. You also will need a lot of milk cartons.
We generate a few per week - maybe just make a "window" in our fort...

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#95601 Jan 21, 2014
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>We haven't made a snowman this year but we have been sledding a couple of times. I will probably have to pack the sleds tomorrow so my FIL can take the girls after school.

Last year, the downstairs neighbor dad made an igloo-type fort for the kids using a cardboard box to make "bricks." He used a tarp for the roof and the kids had a blast in it for weeks. Hopefully he'll/we'll get time to make another one soon.
The last time it snowed, they made a tunnel through the pile that we had shoveled off the driveway (husband helped to make sure that it wouldn't cave in). It was the simplest thing, but they couldn't stop smiling and it kicked their imagination into overdrive.

There is no place to sled around here :( That makes me a little sad because I used to love sledding, but all of the big hills are by streets and it's just not safe.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#95602 Jan 21, 2014
Well, the one good thing about all the crap weather is I think I get out of a business trip that I wasn't exactly looking forward to. I was supposed to leave tomorrow, but I think we are going to schedule until next month. The whole way would be on icy roads and it's a 5 hour drive ... not worth it to drive.

I really don't like to travel for work unless it is someplace cool.

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#95603 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Birthday, squishy!
Timmy

United States

#95604 Jan 21, 2014
There are several incidents a year of someone getting run over at the beach, fatalities are rare, but they happen every now and then. Until they switched the type of vehicles they were using, most of the people getting run over were being run over by beach patrol offices driving big SUVs with poor visibility. They were backing over people laying out on the beach. The County has wised up and has the beach patrol using smaller open 4 wheelers now with unobstructed 360 visibility.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I know we all dislike, losing certain freedoms, but i alway's thought that was a questionable and unsafe idea....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#95605 Jan 21, 2014
If you used the wax cardboard cartons, couldnt you re-use, Oh, never mind...
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
The guy used slush as "mortor". If you do it you need to take a picture. You also will need a lot of milk cartons.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#95606 Jan 21, 2014
When I was a kid, I went to the mall parking lot, all the snow was pushed to the edges of the lot and they were pretty high (to a kid). I used to make tunnels in them, amazingly, I never buried myself alive.
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The last time it snowed, they made a tunnel through the pile that we had shoveled off the driveway (husband helped to make sure that it wouldn't cave in). It was the simplest thing, but they couldn't stop smiling and it kicked their imagination into overdrive.
There is no place to sled around here :( That makes me a little sad because I used to love sledding, but all of the big hills are by streets and it's just not safe.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#95607 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Birthday, Squishy! Any fun plans?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#95608 Jan 21, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The last time it snowed, they made a tunnel through the pile that we had shoveled off the driveway (husband helped to make sure that it wouldn't cave in). It was the simplest thing, but they couldn't stop smiling and it kicked their imagination into overdrive.
There is no place to sled around here :( That makes me a little sad because I used to love sledding, but all of the big hills are by streets and it's just not safe.
We have a big pile of snow that's been shoveled/snowblown into our yard. I warned them not to dig in it, but I suppose if I helped out to ensure its safety, maybe we could make something out of it. It's already been a royal dais, with a chair for the Queen (Lulu) and one for the Princess (Nunu), but most of the thrones have melted away.

We have a wonderful sledding hill, Mt. Trashmore (yes, it is an old landfill), with multiple runs for different experience levels. I've heard it used to be an actual ski hill with a tow rope and everything, which totally explains why I have such a hard time getting up to the top of the largest slope!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#95609 Jan 21, 2014
Happy Birthday, Squishy!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#95610 Jan 21, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Happy Birthday, squishy!
Thanks Jamwow!

It's weird, I don't really care about birthdays but at work they are generally celebrated by my department with food - just had a big shindig for someone last week. But for my birthday, not even one happy birthday wish. Makes me just a little sad.

Meh, I'll live.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#95611 Jan 21, 2014
Here, build this.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/man-bui...
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
We generate a few per week - maybe just make a "window" in our fort...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min WelbyMD 214,645
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 36 min u Make Me Laugh 1,384,159
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 70,614
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 4 hr SweLL GirL 8,466
Instagram fitness journey FOLLOW 5 hr Tylerwkline 1
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 6 hr The Donald_ 59,545
Quit trashing Obama's accomplishments. He's don... 7 hr Go Blue Forever 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages