Topix Chitown Regulars

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#95559 Jan 20, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
Cycle! Are you back for good or just stopping by? We've missed you.

Today has been so surreal. It started with a 5am text and lots of tears, but I had so much to get done today - thank goodness. I'm the kind of person who needs distraction from sad stuff. I got a new car today so I'm glad to have that done, but it took forever. I'm mentally and emotionally exhausted and will raise a glass in Angela's memory this evening.
Yay on the new car! What kind did you get?
Timmy

United States

#95562 Jan 20, 2014
It would be your ISP throttlin your usage, not Netflix. There have been a few studies the past yeat or so that show Netflix streaming using between 20% to 33% of the peak bandwidth in the US and this makes the ISPs unhappy and they want to charge Netflix but have been unable to due to the whole "Net Neutrality" thing.
RACE wrote:
(puts on tinfoil hat)
I cant prove it of course, but I swear it's Netflix throttling your bandwith down.
It happens to me, and I wind up having to unplug my router to force a new IP address to make it work again.
(takes tinfoil hat off)
<quoted text>

Since: Mar 09

United States

#95564 Jan 20, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>Yay on the new car! What kind did you get?
I'm leasing an Infiniti G37 and investing the insurance payout.
:)
Pippa

Hancock, NY

#95566 Jan 20, 2014
Mimi Seattle wrote:
In honor of Angela's not-technologically-inclimed memory. Someone (cough Tonka cough) please tell my why I keep getting a "we can't play that video please try another one or try back later" message from Netflix. I talked to netflix, didn't fix the problem. Reset the tv/uninstalled/re-installed the netflix app. It's a Samsung smart tv with its own wi-fi.
I could be entirely off-track here since I am equally challenged when it comes to technology. However, here's a possibility. Do you try other items when you get this message and does it happen with every choice you make? Do you share your account with anyone else? My daughter shared her account with us so we could occasionally watch some old programs and movies. She has the ability to use her account on 2 things at a time - say her laptop or phone (?) or something of the sort. Since she only uses one of those to watch at any time (she lives alone), she felt she could share with us. However, a friend's young daughter was in an accident and my daughter gave the log in info to this friend so her little girl could watch some kid videos and such while she was in bed recovering from the accident. Inevitably, there were 3 of us trying to log in to a 2 device at a time account. This message (or something very similar) would show up. That type of thing - trying to log into an account that is already in use - might be the source of your problem.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#95567 Jan 20, 2014
Timmy wrote:
It would be your ISP throttlin your usage, not Netflix. There have been a few studies the past yeat or so that show Netflix streaming using between 20% to 33% of the peak bandwidth in the US and this makes the ISPs unhappy and they want to charge Netflix but have been unable to due to the whole "Net Neutrality" thing.
<quoted text>
Correct. Netflix has neither the means nor the motive to throttle your bandwidth. What would they gain from crippling the service you are paying them for?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#95568 Jan 20, 2014
1981 Primitive News Report on the Internet :

http://youtu.be/5WCTn4FljUQ
Pixx

Madison, WI

#95569 Jan 20, 2014
I haven't posted on here in awhile, but over the past couple years, those of you on my Facebook basically became my adopted big sisters. Angela was among that crowd. I'm so numb, so heartbroken that she's gone. I cry every time it hits me that I really won't hear from her again. Do you know, she sent me a generous Amazon gift card for Christmas because she felt bad I was having a rough December and said I remind her of her at her age? I cried so hard and then used the card to get a collection of comics--seemed appropriate. As Mimi said, our friendship was anything but imaginary. I lost one of my honorary big sisters today. Before she died, I told her I want to grow up to be just like her.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#95570 Jan 20, 2014
Pixx, what a great story. A great real life story.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#95571 Jan 20, 2014
Does anyone know where to send anything? Flowers, donation?

West Palm Beach, FL

#95573 Jan 20, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
I'll email you tomorrow with info & an address.
Julie

Chicago, IL

#95574 Jan 20, 2014
Heartbreaking news. She was a brave, smart, witty lady with a big heart. RIP, Ang.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#95575 Jan 20, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
There is specific information on the CaringBridge site.

There is a memorial service on Saturday in St Paul.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#95576 Jan 20, 2014
Pippa wrote:
<quoted text>
I could be entirely off-track here since I am equally challenged when it comes to technology. However, here's a possibility. Do you try other items when you get this message and does it happen with every choice you make? Do you share your account with anyone else? My daughter shared her account with us so we could occasionally watch some old programs and movies. She has the ability to use her account on 2 things at a time - say her laptop or phone (?) or something of the sort. Since she only uses one of those to watch at any time (she lives alone), she felt she could share with us. However, a friend's young daughter was in an accident and my daughter gave the log in info to this friend so her little girl could watch some kid videos and such while she was in bed recovering from the accident. Inevitably, there were 3 of us trying to log in to a 2 device at a time account. This message (or something very similar) would show up. That type of thing - trying to log into an account that is already in use - might be the source of your problem.
Thanks. I'm not sure what it is. Only the people in this house and my niece in Cali have access, but the thing is that it's happening when I am the only one using it. I talked to Netflix and apparently it's a common error. Common enough that they have a fix it guide that didn't help. <sigh> They say if this doesn't work call Samsung" but when I called Samsung they said call Netflix. I said screw it and went in the bedroom and turned it on on the not smart tv...and it worked. Go figure.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#95577 Jan 20, 2014
Thanks for the help with the Netflix issue everyone. It's the tv. It plays through the PS4 just fine and it plays on the other tv in the bedroom (also a Samsung, just not smart) so it is probably the hub. <shrug>

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#95578 Jan 20, 2014
Pixx wrote:
I haven't posted on here in awhile, but over the past couple years, those of you on my Facebook basically became my adopted big sisters. Angela was among that crowd. I'm so numb, so heartbroken that she's gone. I cry every time it hits me that I really won't hear from her again. Do you know, she sent me a generous Amazon gift card for Christmas because she felt bad I was having a rough December and said I remind her of her at her age? I cried so hard and then used the card to get a collection of comics--seemed appropriate. As Mimi said, our friendship was anything but imaginary. I lost one of my honorary big sisters today. Before she died, I told her I want to grow up to be just like her.
I'm still pretty numb too. I woke up this afternoon and had to ask if it had really happened because it was so surreal. It pisses me off that all of these people who are such better human beings than me keep leaving and here I am all still walking around and stuff. This is wrong on so many levels. Going back to looking at plane fares.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#95579 Jan 20, 2014
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still pretty numb too. I woke up this afternoon and had to ask if it had really happened because it was so surreal. It pisses me off that all of these people who are such better human beings than me keep leaving and here I am all still walking around and stuff. This is wrong on so many levels. Going back to looking at plane fares.
To where?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#95581 Jan 21, 2014
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>I'm still pretty numb too. I woke up this afternoon and had to ask if it had really happened because it was so surreal. It pisses me off that all of these people who are such better human beings than me keep leaving and here I am all still walking around and stuff. This is wrong on so many levels. Going back to looking at plane fares.
I, too, woke up this morning thinking (hoping, wishing) that yesterday was all a bad dream.

We are supposed to get a bunch of snow today. I'm hoping that the majority of it holds off until after school gets out. Ry is supposed to get his first Cub Scout badge tonight, but I think the meeting is going to be cancelled :(

Hopefully it is snowman-making snow!

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#95582 Jan 21, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
To where?
Minneapolis.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#95583 Jan 21, 2014
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm leasing an Infiniti G37 and investing the insurance payout.
:)
Best of luck, with your new car....G37 is a sweet car...How Nissan managed to get 328 HP outta a V-6 is remarkable.....do you live where you needed the AWD?

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#95584 Jan 21, 2014
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I, too, woke up this morning thinking (hoping, wishing) that yesterday was all a bad dream.
We are supposed to get a bunch of snow today. I'm hoping that the majority of it holds off until after school gets out. Ry is supposed to get his first Cub Scout badge tonight, but I think the meeting is going to be cancelled :(
Hopefully it is snowman-making snow!
I despise dealing with snow.

Not that I hate snow itself, but lots of it inevitably slows things down. That seems like a cool thing, except that it always comes at a point where I can't deal with the world/life/businesses/whatever having snow days.

That said, snowman making snow is pretty cool. We once built an anatomically correct one and painted it's more interesting areas with glow in the dark/reflective gold paint so that it was visible in pretty much any type of lighting. I was surprised how long it lasted until someone with good taste called the authorities and they asked us to remove it. <shrug> We didn't have to of course (first amendment...private property and all) but we did.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Jacques Ottawa 1,746,502
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 12,246
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr RACE 2,578
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr RACE 3,815
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr RACE 1,071
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr RACE 6,971
Change one letter in the word (Mar '12) 6 hr Julia 67
Trump is A 15 hr Rose of Tralee 635

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance