Topix Chitown Regulars

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#95196 Jan 7, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
Shorts n t-shirt with no comforter in 63 degrees? Early menopause.
Ha! I should note that one or both dogs and often the husband are saddle right up on me. This helps.

“I looked, and behold,”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#95197 Jan 7, 2014
I set our thermostat to go down to 63 at night and then warm back up right before everyone wakes up. Sometimes my wife will up the temp to 72 and put it on hold. I hate that. That's too warm for me to sleep in. I sleep in boxers. I don't like to sleep with a shirt on.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#95198 Jan 7, 2014
Are they tubed or HD
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>tv in all 3 bedrooms and in living room

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#95199 Jan 7, 2014
Daily squee... there's a little of each of you pet parents on this one:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/0...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#95200 Jan 7, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>You can't get analog anymore. You need a converter box to get any signal on your TV. If you have an older set, like we do, you needed to either sign up for cable or acquire the converter box. That happened a couple years ago, unless Blu is referring to something else.
WE have these small portables, a B&W for the garage and a smaller color 3" screen one that runs on batteries, in case of a Hurricane......they are kinda useless now.......also i have other issues as well with FCC, concerning promotions on the screen, during programs and we have a local news show at noon, that has 16 minutes of news and weather....and 14 minutes of commercials......i actually believe we have laws in place, that are rarely enforced.....

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#95201 Jan 7, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Watching daytime TV on WGN or did something happen?
(btw the chocolate peppermint cookies have disappeared. I have no idea where they went, couldn't tell you if you asked but someone is smiling guiltily)
WGN... we wake up to the news, and somehow, I'm still watching it, 4 hours of news cast later... I watch far too much TV... no, wait... i have the tv on in the background far too much... at least i can stream internet radio when i sew...

and glad that the cookies were enjoyed...

Location hidden

#95202 Jan 7, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>what has the fcc done?
It's system with the converters, made many small portables that work on batteries are now useless in this country, as the converters don't work without electricity.....BTW, it's 48 this morning in Palm Beach Co, FL....i wore my big heavy MICHIGAN sweatshirt and shorts to the grocery.....people think i just got down here.....lol....

Location hidden

#95203 Jan 7, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Cry me a river. TV is a luxury. You don't need tv to survive.
If anything, I'm more concerned about those on the lower end of the economic spectrum who let the tv and video games raise their kids.
Beg your pardon?.....I was speaking of a senior on a fixed income....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#95204 Jan 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
Are they tubed or HD
<quoted text>
all hd except the 25. Just hooked that one up this week. Sat unplugged in younger son's room for over a year. Older kid's room is where they played and watched tv together. Older one did not want the 'kids' movies in his room anymore (old disney cartoon vhs). So we moved them to other son's room and hooked up tv and vcr. Thing is so old, the date does not go past 2011

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#95205 Jan 7, 2014
Aisle Sitter wrote:
Daily squee... there's a little of each of you pet parents on this one:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/0...
I changed my avatar to my beasts sleeping on my legs this morning.

They like the snow, but it's too cold for them to enjoy it.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#95206 Jan 7, 2014
Also, we finally hit zero Fahrenheit for the first time in days...who is up for some streaking? Woooo!

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#95207 Jan 7, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Beg your pardon?.....I was speaking of a senior on a fixed income....
You do know that old folks existed before tvs, right? I think we have much bigger fish to fry, as a society, than worrying about whether folks (old or not) can or cannot afford a $30 converter to watch a luxury, such as tv.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#95208 Jan 7, 2014
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>You do know that old folks existed before tvs, right? I think we have much bigger fish to fry, as a society, than worrying about whether folks (old or not) can or cannot afford a $30 converter to watch a luxury, such as tv.
Yes. Like whether or not they can figure out how to use Netflix.

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#95209 Jan 7, 2014
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Like whether or not they can figure out how to use Netflix.
ROFLMAO

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#95210 Jan 7, 2014
Nice avatar. Your wife is so pretty. And it seems that you two are as hot for each other today as you were six months into dating.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#95211 Jan 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
I have no cable or dish. Just an HD antenna, picks up about 20 stations and maybe 8 are in English. Get the major networks just fine, but no cable channels (of course). Dont miss it at all. When the Giants were not shown locally, I went to a bar down the road and watched them.
<quoted text>
That's what my dad did.
We never had cable growing up; parents, nor I have it still....

Some of my students actually think you MUST pay cable to get TV! Sad...

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#95212 Jan 7, 2014
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what my dad did.
We never had cable growing up; parents, nor I have it still....
Some of my students actually think you MUST pay cable to get TV! Sad...
I have to pay for cable just to get reception of the major networks. Pisses me off. Converter box and rabbit ears (nice new ones) did not work,

“I looked, and behold,”

Location hidden

#95213 Jan 7, 2014
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Nice avatar. Your wife is so pretty. And it seems that you two are as hot for each other today as you were six months into dating.
Heh thanks. Yep, alls good.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#95214 Jan 7, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>tv in all 3 bedrooms and in living room
55" in the bedroom? OM f'ng G !

Double entendre aside, that is way too much light for one person to watch and the other try to sleep.

Location hidden

#95215 Jan 7, 2014
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I have to pay for cable just to get reception of the major networks. Pisses me off. Converter box and rabbit ears (nice new ones) did not work,
We keep considering downsizing outta big house into a townhouse or condo....they usually have basic cable, included in the maintainance fees......I'd be satisfied with just that and a HDTV.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min old_moose 1,582,450
How do people of your city feel about President... 10 min ThomasA 4
News Uber driver accused of locking female rider ins... 1 hr the real thomas 123 1
Murder rate 2 hr Crazzy 2
TRUTH will be revealed, someday, maybe. 6 hr MuslimsResponsible 43
OVERALL CDST of electric autos. 8 hr MUSK is BiPolar 20
The Party of Racism. 8 hr Its The Democrats 3

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages