Topix Chitown Regulars
Timmy

United States

#95166 Jan 6, 2014
It is only on the ESPN (all 8 of their cable & online channels)
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
This apparently wasn't on network TV? I looked, anyway. Stupid! Such an important game should be on regular tv!
Timmy

United States

#95167 Jan 6, 2014
Since you don't have cable, just letting you know Tonka's FSU 'Noles just beat Auburn. Expect him to be hung over at work tomorrow.
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
This apparently wasn't on network TV? I looked, anyway. Stupid! Such an important game should be on regular tv!

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#95168 Jan 7, 2014

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#95169 Jan 7, 2014
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree...especially since games like this and all the NFL Monday night games are on ESPN....too bad for many older people or those that just don't have cable.....ABC own's ESPN, so they could easily transmit it over the local stations antennas.....It's Corporate greed...sorry....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#95170 Jan 7, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I totally agree...especially since games like this and all the NFL Monday night games are on ESPN....too bad for many older people or those that just don't have cable.....ABC own's ESPN, so they could easily transmit it over the local stations antennas.....It's Corporate greed...sorry....
I won't get into the greed debate, but I will say this. I read and hear about people 'cutting the chord' all the time. Going to Netflix or Hulu for their entertInment needs. Saving money on no cable bill. Sounds great, but its something I can't even consider because I need my sports programming. ESPN web broadcasts are only available to ESPN subscribers.

Location hidden

#95171 Jan 7, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I won't get into the greed debate, but I will say this. I read and hear about people 'cutting the chord' all the time. Going to Netflix or Hulu for their entertInment needs. Saving money on no cable bill. Sounds great, but its something I can't even consider because I need my sports programming. ESPN web broadcasts are only available to ESPN subscribers.
We are lucky enough to have just about everything cable offers....but i had a grandfather with a cabin up in the northwoods....no cable, and now the FCC has made it even more difficult for antenna access.....Like you, i see Sportscenter daily and PTI and Colin Cowherd.....We've probably all become a bit spoiled....but i alway's wonder about those left behind, and often TV is most of their entertainment......

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#95172 Jan 7, 2014
I have no cable or dish. Just an HD antenna, picks up about 20 stations and maybe 8 are in English. Get the major networks just fine, but no cable channels (of course). Dont miss it at all. When the Giants were not shown locally, I went to a bar down the road and watched them. Only missed one Monday night game they played.
I dont watch the news, so the TV is only on from 8 to 10, Fox and if I dont like whats on, I crank up Netflix. Am now watching a cop series called Glades, pretty cool, nice to hear all the towns in FL being mentioned. First time I have ever heard Tamarac said on TV.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> We are lucky enough to have just about everything cable offers....but i had a grandfather with a cabin up in the northwoods....no cable, and now the FCC has made it even more difficult for antenna access.....Like you, i see Sportscenter daily and PTI and Colin Cowherd.....We've probably all become a bit spoiled....but i alway's wonder about those left behind, and often TV is most of their entertainment......
Strange

Raleigh, NC

#95173 Jan 7, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> We are lucky enough to have just about everything cable offers....but i had a grandfather with a cabin up in the northwoods....no cable, and now the FCC has made it even more difficult for antenna access.....Like you, i see Sportscenter daily and PTI and Colin Cowherd.....We've probably all become a bit spoiled....but i alway's wonder about those left behind, and often TV is most of their entertainment......
I'm sure Obama would give hime enough medicaid to pay for cable.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#95174 Jan 7, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
what has the fcc done?

Location hidden

#95175 Jan 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
I have no cable or dish. Just an HD antenna, picks up about 20 stations and maybe 8 are in English. Get the major networks just fine, but no cable channels (of course). Dont miss it at all. When the Giants were not shown locally, I went to a bar down the road and watched them. Only missed one Monday night game they played.
I dont watch the news, so the TV is only on from 8 to 10, Fox and if I dont like whats on, I crank up Netflix. Am now watching a cop series called Glades, pretty cool, nice to hear all the towns in FL being mentioned. First time I have ever heard Tamarac said on TV.
<quoted text>
Be honest, we just don't wanna acknowledge Tamarac or Sunrise....lol....I'm thinking it has to be a plus, that you get neither MSNBC or Fox....lol....

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#95176 Jan 7, 2014
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> but i alway's wonder about those left behind, and often TV is most of their entertainment......
Cry me a river. TV is a luxury. You don't need tv to survive.

If anything, I'm more concerned about those on the lower end of the economic spectrum who let the tv and video games raise their kids.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#95177 Jan 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a brother in Tamarac!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#95178 Jan 7, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>what has the fcc done?
You can't get analog anymore. You need a converter box to get any signal on your TV. If you have an older set, like we do, you needed to either sign up for cable or acquire the converter box. That happened a couple years ago, unless Blu is referring to something else.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#95179 Jan 7, 2014
I HATE THIS WEATHER.

My furnace thermostat is set at 79 and I can only get the house to 68; the bedroom was 57 when I got up this morning.

The cats are getting cabin fever and tearing up stuff; the youngest is eating bad things we don't know about based o the cat box.

My mother refuses to leave the house at all, even to go on the back porch and has started smoking inside her house.

My diet is being shot to hell because I am cooking cold weather comfort food- lentil soup, gingerbread, beef stew,tuna casserole.

It is too cold for the salt to melt the snowpack on my front steps and my choice is to use the cat litter or slip.

I shovel the drive and the Village plow comes by and creates an ice berm at the base of the driveway which has to chopped, not shoveled out.

I HATE THIS WEATHER

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#95180 Jan 7, 2014
Or you could spend that same $100 and get a hd antenna and a cheap hd tv. Granted, it wont be a big tv, but for another $100 you could get a 24 or 30" 720 hd tv.

My biggest tubed tv was a 32" flat screen, what was (is) yours?
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>You can't get analog anymore. You need a converter box to get any signal on your TV. If you have an older set, like we do, you needed to either sign up for cable or acquire the converter box. That happened a couple years ago, unless Blu is referring to something else.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#95181 Jan 7, 2014
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>You can't get analog anymore. You need a converter box to get any signal on your TV. If you have an older set, like we do, you needed to either sign up for cable or acquire the converter box. That happened a couple years ago, unless Blu is referring to something else.
They gave away free converters. And if you didn't get one, they're like $30. I really don't see how that's a big hurdle to get over.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#95182 Jan 7, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>They gave away free converters. And if you didn't get one, they're like $30. I really don't see how that's a big hurdle to get over.
But Blu's friend was in the Northwoods. There are few RadioShacks or Best Buys around.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#95183 Jan 7, 2014
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>They gave away free converters. And if you didn't get one, they're like $30. I really don't see how that's a big hurdle to get over.
Thrift stores have both antennae and converters. Here they're going for about 10-15 for the converters, 3-7 for an antenna.
However, many of the elderly and infirm cannot go out scrounging the thrifts to find that stuff.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#95184 Jan 7, 2014
PEllen wrote:
I HATE THIS WEATHER.
My furnace thermostat is set at 79 and I can only get the house to 68; the bedroom was 57 when I got up this morning.
The cats are getting cabin fever and tearing up stuff; the youngest is eating bad things we don't know about based o the cat box.
My mother refuses to leave the house at all, even to go on the back porch and has started smoking inside her house.
My diet is being shot to hell because I am cooking cold weather comfort food- lentil soup, gingerbread, beef stew,tuna casserole.
It is too cold for the salt to melt the snowpack on my front steps and my choice is to use the cat litter or slip.
I shovel the drive and the Village plow comes by and creates an ice berm at the base of the driveway which has to chopped, not shoveled out.
I HATE THIS WEATHER
i baked and then made chicken pot pie for dinner with leftovers from Sunday's roast chicken... not sure what's on the docket for today; probably crank up the space heater in the guest room & do some sewing.

aaaahhhh.... it's a rough life staying hunkered down and out of everyone else's hair... <although, i'm learning about all the ambulance chasing lawyers in chicago>

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#95185 Jan 7, 2014
RACE wrote:
Or you could spend that same $100 and get a hd antenna and a cheap hd tv. Granted, it wont be a big tv, but for another $100 you could get a 24 or 30" 720 hd tv.
My biggest tubed tv was a 32" flat screen, what was (is) yours?
<quoted text>
Brace yourself.

We have been married 30 years next month. We had D's TV when we got married. It is still in the basement. We replaced it for upstairs use with the current one about 25 years ago when we moved into this house. It is most definitely not a flat screen. I think it is in teh 26" range, but I am not sure.

TV has never been a priority

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min USAsince1680 1,508,428
Obama has LEAK under sink. 14 min TROY the Plumber 36
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 43 min Dr Guru 239,354
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Raymond 63,546
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 8,066
This doesn't seem fair to me. 6 hr Publishers R Fasc... 9
Look at Minn. Maine & Michigan. 6 hr Halal butcher 2

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages