Location hidden

#94983 Dec 27, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
1&2: I love neko.
3: not available on mobile
4: just gimme gimme gimme fried chicken
Thank you :)
Gotta wonder what the night nurse's station thinks hearing that coming from your room at this hour.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#94984 Dec 27, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Gotta wonder what the night nurse's station thinks hearing that coming from your room at this hour.
Asshat across the hall from me has his tv cranked at full,volume and is snoring ridiculously loud. Geez, shut his door or turn his tv down. It is obnoxious.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94985 Dec 27, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Asshat across the hall from me has his tv cranked at full,volume and is snoring ridiculously loud. Geez, shut his door or turn his tv down. It is obnoxious.
Given the picture link you posted on Caringbridge, I had to laugh at calling him an asshat.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#94986 Dec 27, 2013
Oh good, we're all up. Good morning, my delectable little balls of happiness

Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/THCIJ4F4AC...

Abby

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TJP8L98FJU...

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94987 Dec 27, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Oh good, we're all up. Good morning, my delectable little balls of happiness
Amy
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/THCIJ4F4AC...
Abby
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TJP8L98FJU...
Oh noooo. Dawn's early light is coming.
Must. Get. Back. Under. Covers

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#94988 Dec 27, 2013
Around 4-4:30 this morning I hear this weird, high-pitch whining noise outside. I'm like what the hell is that? I run outside, decide it's coming from a few houses down. Someone is using some kind of power tool or some kind of toy making this loud, strange sound. Way to wake up the neighborhood, jerk.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94989 Dec 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm no economist, but raising import costs seems like the best way to get companies to buy American. If I am running a business, my primary focus should be on keeping the business as profitable as possible. If it costs less to get the item from China, then I would be shooting myself in the foot buying American. Make it more expensive to buy Chinese made and I'll consider American.
Most of my point was that ceramic coffee mugs were made in USA, at the time.....So the greed involved would have been that the profit margin from the American mug, must have been so much less, that the Dairy made a conscious decision to import a cheaper mug from China...we would have to know the exact prices, but at some point in the decision.....it is my contention that greed over nationalism, became a factor in the decision....simple as that.....

Location hidden

#94990 Dec 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm no economist, but raising import costs seems like the best way to get companies to buy American. If I am running a business, my primary focus should be on keeping the business as profitable as possible. If it costs less to get the item from China, then I would be shooting myself in the foot buying American. Make it more expensive to buy Chinese made and I'll consider American.
Agree totally......i even believe that a fortune could be made with a chain of stores called, American Made.....where every product is domestically manufactured....the flip-flops would'nt count....lol....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94991 Dec 27, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Most of my point was that ceramic coffee mugs were made in USA, at the time.....So the greed involved would have been that the profit margin from the American mug, must have been so much less, that the Dairy made a conscious decision to import a cheaper mug from China...we would have to know the exact prices, but at some poinlt in the decision.....it is my contention that greed over nationalism, became a factor in the decision....simple as that.....
And I don't think there was a conscious decision. I think they got the mugs thru a middleman company like Fish Flops.

Either way, maybe this is indicative if the age gap(i don't know how old you are), but I don't have any personal recollection of a time when a company would think about nationalism before profit. In my own personal life, that plays zero role in my purhasing decisions. Price and value for the price are the determining factors.

I simply don't consider it greed to make decisions that best suit your wallet. If I'm shopping for a widget to put in my kitchen, I'm going with the one that best suits my needs at the lowest price. Maximize what I keep on my pocket. Is that greed?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#94992 Dec 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
but I don't have any personal recollection of a time when a company would think about nationalism before profit.
http://www.maglite.com/mag_commitment.asp

Just one example. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of others.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#94993 Dec 27, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Well that's great that they are able to do that and successfully compete against those who don't. But in their own statement, they indicate they are the exception.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#94994 Dec 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
they indicate they are the exception.
Absolutely. American manufacturing jobs are an exception. Thanks to free trade and the global economy. Can't understand why we have a shrinking middle class and greater disparity between rich and poor. Ah hell, let's blame Bush.

Location hidden

#94995 Dec 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>And I don't think there was a conscious decision. I think they got the mugs thru a middleman company like Fish Flops.
Either way, maybe this is indicative if the age gap(i don't know how old you are), but I don't have any personal recollection of a time when a company would think about nationalism before profit. In my own personal life, that plays zero role in my purhasing decisions. Price and value for the price are the determining factors.
I simply don't consider it greed to make decisions that best suit your wallet. If I'm shopping for a widget to put in my kitchen, I'm going with the one that best suits my needs at the lowest price. Maximize what I keep on my pocket. Is that greed?
They certainly thought and spoke up the nationalism....when they were begging to open up the GLOBAL MARKET....so that all Americans and U.S. products could compete....we was sold a bill of goods.....

Location hidden

#94996 Dec 27, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Was in Law Enforcement, when much younger and had that 6D incandescent model....it was actually a great defense weapon.....a very good company......You're right.....Tervis, insulated drink tumblers and mugs, manufactured in Florida are another example......Weber Grills, are made in Illinois....

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#94997 Dec 27, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Given the picture link you posted on Caringbridge, I had to laugh at calling him an asshat.
and i'd love to see the look on the company's face wehn they see the jump in site views...

Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#94999 Dec 27, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I am awake. Thanks to Adavan, I slept until about four. Not ruling out going back to sleep, the get up at 6:30 when breakfast starts,
<quoted text>
Cardiac surgeon said the "no flying " thing was bull and had no idea why someone would have told me that.
However, I don't know that I will be able to fly alone, as in , navigate an airport all by myself. At the very least, I'd have to arrange for wheelchair assistance start to finish.
That's good! At least it doesn't rule out flying completely.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#95000 Dec 27, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
We need a "Like" button here!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#95001 Dec 27, 2013
The whole trade this is a difficult area to trudge through. While there are many people who try to always buy American (really Tonka, there is -- where have YOU been), there are many things made here in America with parts made elsewhere. It's difficult. And I'm not so sure that's the way to go 100%. We need trade. However, we need fair trade.

Toyota is a good example of this. It is a foreign company; however, American made mostly. They do import cars as well. However, they are more "American made" than Chevy.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#95002 Dec 27, 2013
I meant to include this link to my above post:

http://theweek.com/article/index/246327/the-7...

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#95003 Dec 27, 2013
Toj wrote:
The whole trade this is a difficult area to trudge through. While there are many people who try to always buy American (really Tonka, there is -- where have YOU been), there are many things made here in America with parts made elsewhere. It's difficult. And I'm not so sure that's the way to go 100%. We need trade. However, we need fair trade.
Toyota is a good example of this. It is a foreign company; however, American made mostly. They do import cars as well. However, they are more "American made" than Chevy.
I'm sure there are, but in my experience, that line of thinking is not prevalent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min sonicfilter 1,682,058
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 19 min Chicagoan by Birth 243,229
george cardenas tucker 36 min Unknown Carrier 5
Trump is A 38 min DemParty KILLER 358
What to expect when dating a Filipina woman? 42 min Scabies-crabs 2
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 52 min Thor156 11,748
Trumps Blackmail Dealing has Dangerous Conseque... 1 hr Bill Q 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages