Topix Chitown Regulars

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#94962 Dec 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I haven't really gotten much for Christmas yet, but I got one of these wax warmer things from a white elephant exchange and I freaking *LOVE* it. Smells like a pie baking on my nightstand. I think I'm going to have to go get another one for the kitchen.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Friday-Only-B...
You women and your scented aroma crap. My place smells like dirty socks and stale beer, and that's how it SHOULD be dammit!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#94963 Dec 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You women and your scented aroma crap. My place smells like dirty socks and stale beer, and that's how it SHOULD be dammit!
It covers up the scent of dog farts!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94964 Dec 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
It went really well, thank you. My niece's gift to everyone was a framed picture of the three of them. Told her I loved it and it's up on the mantel. The only time the engagement even came up was at the end of the night when her fiance showed off her ring. The women were in the other room cooing over it, but I was busy playing with the kids... and made it a point to stay busy playing with the kids.
How'd your goose turn out?
Well played, well played.

Your thoughts are your own; it is how you act on them--or not-- that counts.

The goose turned out okay but it was a lot more hassle than it was worth. There is relatively not a lot of meat on the bird and one helluva a lot of grease. I probably drained 2 cups of fat from the roasting pan and still left some in for gravy.

The crispy skin was more leathery than turkey or duck. Getting the meat off the carcass was harder too.It is all dark meat. It tasted good. The Cumberland sauce went better on the ham

At least I can say that I have cooked my goose

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94965 Dec 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
It covers up the scent of dog farts!
Our dogs have farts....that refuse to be waved away.....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94966 Dec 26, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Our dogs have farts....that refuse to be waved away.....
Saw this story and thought of you.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/profit-minded/15-...

Got to the part where they found an overseas manufacturer and you popped into my head. So what are your thoughts on this? Seems pretty similar to your dairy story. Nordtrom buys flip flops from home based business who is in turn getting the product made overseas. Good business acumen to go with the low cost provider? Or greedy? Do you think they would still be in business if they had to get the flip flops made here at higher cost?

Location hidden

#94967 Dec 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Saw this story and thought of you.
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/profit-minded/15-...
Got to the part where they found an overseas manufacturer and you popped into my head. So what are your thoughts on this? Seems pretty similar to your dairy story. Nordtrom buys flip flops from home based business who is in turn getting the product made overseas. Good business acumen to go with the low cost provider? Or greedy? Do you think they would still be in business if they had to get the flip flops made here at higher cost?
I'm probably the last guy who would ever pay $20 for neoprene flip-flops with fish designs....when my Made In China,$2 flip-flops at Walmart have been an ongoing item, since they were Made In Japan....lol......It's a great story about her American drive and marketing skill....along with her dad's know-how on outsourcing a simple product.....Tonka, don't tease...lol....you did understand the point of the mug story, right?....

Location hidden

#94968 Dec 26, 2013
Plus, flip-flops are an item, i have never seen made here.....

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#94969 Dec 26, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> I'm probably the last guy who would ever pay $20 for neoprene flip-flops with fish designs....when my Made In China,$2 flip-flops at Walmart have been an ongoing item, since they were Made In Japan....lol......It's a great story about her American drive and marketing skill....along with her dad's know-how on outsourcing a simple product.....Tonka, don't tease...lol....you did understand the point of the mug story, right?....
The point of your story was you thought the Dairy place was raping you with the price of a cheap made in china logo coffee mug. Called it greed and thought they should have used US labor instead. Maybe you missed my response to that one, but I feel this is identical.

Nordstrom(Dairy) buys product from US based company, Fish Flops(mug maker), who in turn has the item manufactured overseas. The manufacturing cost is low, they sell to Nordstrom(Dairy) at enough of a markup for them to make a profit. Then Nordstrom(Dairy) sells this cheap made in china flip flop(coffee mug) at even more of a markup,$20($6 mug) so they make a profit.

In both cases, I doubt the big company is at all concerned over where the product is made, only that they company they are buying from can deliver at the agreed upon affordable price. You were going under the premise that Dairy was buying a (presumably) 50 cent mug and marking it up to $6 and calling it greed. Question I have is, how much ROI can a company have and it be ok? At what point does it become greed? Is it greed only when it a big company or is the small company greedy as well. Are you using the same criteria to judge across the board or does it change case by case?

My opinion on the mug/flip flop is, charge $200 if you can get it. I won't buy one, but if you can get enough people to pay those prices and still be viable profitable business, then do it.

I sell crap on ebay every now and then. My goal is not to sell things at an affordable price. Its to get as much as possible.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#94970 Dec 26, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
Plus, flip-flops are an item, i have never seen made here.....
I'm no economist, but raising import costs seems like the best way to get companies to buy American. If I am running a business, my primary focus should be on keeping the business as profitable as possible. If it costs less to get the item from China, then I would be shooting myself in the foot buying American. Make it more expensive to buy Chinese made and I'll consider American.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#94972 Dec 26, 2013
In the hospital until Sunday now.

Tonight will suck. Fluid is BACK but they can't drain it; when they install the permanent catheter tomorrow, they need that fluid to help guide them to make sure they get a good spot. So no sleep for me tonight.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94973 Dec 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Tonight will suck. Fluid is BACK but they can't drain it; when they install the permanent catheter tomorrow, they need that fluid to help guide them to make sure they get a good spot. So no sleep for me tonight.
Ugh.

If the hospital has a lending library or you have books on your ipad, go for an old fashioned Robert Ludlum type thriller. I would pull all nighters to finish those anyway. Hurassic Park did it for me too.

Post here. I have been staying up late. If you are around, I'll chat. We can work out a plan of action to inoculate liberal seeds into edog. Should take all night to figure that one out

Location hidden

#94974 Dec 26, 2013
That is very sweet of you.

One night when I had posted on caringbridge about being scared (shortness of breath), friends of Nick's offered to come over late at night to sit with me so I wouldn't be scared and *alone*.

Good people are everywhere.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#94975 Dec 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
If you're gonna be up anyway....

Does Neko Case Have To Choke A Bitch?

Neko Case - 9/16/04 full show
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Queen - Live At Wembley Stadium -11 July 1986 (Friday)

Queen - Live At Wembley Stadium -12 July 1986

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#94976 Dec 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
we can start a twitter war...

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#94977 Dec 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:

Does "permanent catheter" = no more flying? Because I have a $20 Expedia coupon that I have to use by the end of March....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94978 Dec 27, 2013
Are you awake?

Location hidden

#94979 Dec 27, 2013
I am awake. Thanks to Adavan, I slept until about four. Not ruling out going back to sleep, the get up at 6:30 when breakfast starts,
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Does "permanent catheter" = no more flying? Because I have a $20 Expedia coupon that I have to use by the end of March....
Cardiac surgeon said the "no flying " thing was bull and had no idea why someone would have told me that.

However, I don't know that I will be able to fly alone, as in , navigate an airport all by myself. At the very least, I'd have to arrange for wheelchair assistance start to finish.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94980 Dec 27, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
I am awake. Thanks to Adavan, I slept until about four. Not ruling out going back to sleep, the get up at 6:30 when breakfast starts,
<quoted text>
Cardiac surgeon said the "no flying " thing was bull and had no idea why someone would have told me that.
However, I don't know that I will be able to fly alone, as in , navigate an airport all by myself. At the very least, I'd have to arrange for wheelchair assistance start to finish.
Olost track- did you make it to Wyoming? What other trips are planned?

Location hidden

#94981 Dec 27, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're gonna be up anyway....
Does Neko Case Have To Choke A Bitch?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =U8-1EPeYn3AXX
Neko Case - 9/16/04 full show
Queen - Live At Wembley Stadium -11 July 1986 (Friday)
Queen - Live At Wembley Stadium -12 July 1986
1&2: I love neko.
3: not available on mobile
4: just gimme gimme gimme fried chicken
Thank you :)

Location hidden

#94982 Dec 27, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Olost track- did you make it to Wyoming? What other trips are planned?
No I ended up in the hospital.

Hoping to get to saints Barbara to see aunt, uncle, cousin, cousin's girls.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 12 min RetardedAsswipesT... 64,117
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 23 min Cheech the Conser... 1,641,508
Blue State in HUGE trouble sez George Will 3 hr Amazing Skulduggery 3
The newest virus circulating is the UPS/Fed Ex... 3 hr Shoot Virus Perps 1
Cat's out of the bag. 8 hr Fun in Benghazi 1
HRC loves Alinsky's Rules for Radicals. 10 hr OwnerScrewingPOSTERS 4
What if Ken Starr was RIGHT? 10 hr HMmmmmmmmm 1

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages