Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#94940 Dec 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was about a half-hour too long and it felt forced.
When we got home, we watched Don Jon. Now *there's* a movie with a little something for everyone.
Yeah, the whole ending sucked. Before that, there were some funny parts. I laughed my butt off during the dinner scene.

Haven't seen Don Jon. I'll have to check it out.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94941 Dec 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
Public television?
<quoted text>
Noting the exception to the rule does not negate the rule. PBS, by definition, is a non-profit organization. MTV is not, nor are most other networks.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94942 Dec 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
I googled...
Like The Civil War, Baseball made money.“We get paid after many partners get paid back,” says Burns, who takes $125,000 a year in salary. Any profits–which come from sales of DVDs (Florentine ends up with maybe a few cents of every residual revenue dollar)–get reinvested in the next production. Burns supplements his film income with book sales and speeches to universities and businesses, perhaps $50,000 a speech to help his wife’s nonprofit (Room to Grow supports infants born to poor families) or repave the driveway of his home and office, a remodeled barn in Walpole, N.H. The studio is a mile and a half away.
<quoted text>
No idea who this is. Rhat being said, he pulls in $125k a year? Plus gets $50k for speaking engagements? Seems like he's living high on the hog.

Location hidden

#94943 Dec 26, 2013
Saw the hobbit on Saturday. It wasn't bad, but the book was so much better than the two that have been released so far. I thought the lord of the rings movies were better than the two hobbit movies I've seen so far.

Location hidden

#94944 Dec 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>No idea who this is. Rhat being said, he pulls in $125k a year? Plus gets $50k for speaking engagements? Seems like he's living high on the hog.
After taxes, I wouldn't say he's living high on the hog, but he's not poor. I doubt the guy is flying around first class or living a life of luxury.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#94945 Dec 26, 2013
I never said anything to the contrary, I was just pointing out the caveat to your statement.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Noting the exception to the rule does not negate the rule. PBS, by definition, is a non-profit organization. MTV is not, nor are most other networks.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#94946 Dec 26, 2013
125k salary seems modest for the work he does, how much does ron howard make for doing those same tasks?
And the 50k for speaking is simply what the market will bare (bear?) That is kinda like side work. It is income, but not part of his salary.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>No idea who this is. Rhat being said, he pulls in $125k a year? Plus gets $50k for speaking engagements? Seems like he's living high on the hog.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#94947 Dec 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Straw poll. Maybe I've asked before.
Big present.
From Santa or mom & dad?
Always Santa. I feel it adds to the magic.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#94948 Dec 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Ended up back in the ER after the Christmas party last night. Will be here at least through Thursday. They drained 1.4L off my left lung on Friday... And about that much again this morning. Holy. Suit.
Hope their plans will stop the flow of liquids and you feeling as if you're drowning. I hope you're getting out today.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#94949 Dec 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
We stopped in to the in-laws before the movie. Rest assured, there was more crying on my MIL's part and my step-FIL was not wearing a shirt. Whew!
What does she cry about? The daughter/wedding stuff?

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#94950 Dec 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Ended up back in the ER after the Christmas party last night. Will be here at least through Thursday. They drained 1.4L off my left lung on Friday... And about that much again this morning. Holy. Suit.
Ugh... So sorry to hear that! Hugs to you!

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#94951 Dec 26, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't famous public tv documentary film maker ken burns likely make some decent money?
Decent, yeah. The sort of bucks that Spielberg and Lucas bring in? I highly doubt it.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94952 Dec 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
We stopped in to the in-laws before the movie. Rest assured, there was more crying on my MIL's part and my step-FIL was not wearing a shirt. Whew!
Did you say at some point they were separating, or am I remembering wrong?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94953 Dec 26, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
It was about a half-hour too long and it felt forced.
When we got home, we watched Don Jon. Now *there's* a movie with a little something for everyone.
Saw Don Jon in the theaters. I liked it on a couple of different levels. Good cinematic handling of a ,um,delicate subject

I have American Hustle and Her on the list but I am hankering for a more grownup movie that is not morose

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94956 Dec 26, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T77OKIHFLF...

Abby (Thanks Cass; CA contingent comes through)

There does not seem to be an Amy for 12-26 on the usual sites :WaPo or Denver)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#94957 Dec 26, 2013
PEllen wrote:
There does not seem to be an Amy for 12-26 on the usual sites :WaPo or Denver)
Let's try this one

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TGG4Q6KBEB...

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#94958 Dec 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Pizza place, the Mellow Mushroom, sent me an email wishing me the merriest and mellowest.
AAAAAHHHHHHH! They didn't say CHRISTMAS!
IT'S ALL PART OF THE WAR!
I'da sent them a strongly worded letter and boycotted them!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94959 Dec 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's try this one
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TGG4Q6KBEB...
Thanks kiddo.

How did the family Christmas party go with the new niece/kid/ fiance?

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#94960 Dec 26, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Thanks kiddo.
How did the family Christmas party go with the new niece/kid/ fiance?
It went really well, thank you. My niece's gift to everyone was a framed picture of the three of them. Told her I loved it and it's up on the mantel. The only time the engagement even came up was at the end of the night when her fiance showed off her ring. The women were in the other room cooing over it, but I was busy playing with the kids... and made it a point to stay busy playing with the kids.

How'd your goose turn out?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#94961 Dec 26, 2013
I haven't really gotten much for Christmas yet, but I got one of these wax warmer things from a white elephant exchange and I freaking *LOVE* it. Smells like a pie baking on my nightstand. I think I'm going to have to go get another one for the kitchen.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Friday-Only-B...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Grey Ghost 1,760,720
Change one letter in the word (Apr '12) 7 hr The real Rudy 89
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 8 hr MPMMB 2,614
Change one letter in the word (Mar '12) 9 hr MPMMB 105
Review: Chicago Union Station Amtrak 10 hr CHICAGO IL UNION ... 1
Review: WGN TV Chicago Channel 9 10 hr TV PRODUCER 1
Clear Blue Skies over Windy City/Chicago, Illin... 10 hr CLEAR BLUE SKY CH... 1

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages