Topix Chitown Regulars

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#94844 Dec 23, 2013
I'm gonna go with what Red and Blue said

(heh, red and blue. Throw a few more colors in there and we'll have a gay freakin rainbow!)

I'll just say her happiness is what's important. Which it is

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94845 Dec 23, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
So my niece just got engaged to her girlfriend. Who has a small boy. Not sure if his father is in his life or what kind of male role-model this kid has. So that's two things I'm opposed to. Do I congratulate her? Stay quiet? My silence will eventually be noticed. Do I let her know my stance? I fear that may cause her to alienate me.
You have a niece old enough to get engaged? Wow.

Last year one of the women I worked with's 15 year old daughter got pregnant. I kept quiet instead of congratulating her- it turned out to be the wrong thing to do.

Say something perfunctory but nice and then fade into the background.

Was I hearing rumbles that you think you might be or should be or have to be a male role model for the boy? You don't have to approve of the parents in order to take a kid out for the day occasionally..

(Shakes head) Edog as a great uncle.(shakes head again)

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94846 Dec 23, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
(heh, red and blue. Throw a few more colors in there and we'll have a gay freakin rainbow!)
Just add white for my flag....lol....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94847 Dec 23, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
As a gesture of good faith, buy the kid a small Chritmas gift. Beanie Babies are still around $5.00 I think

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#94848 Dec 23, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a niece old enough to get engaged? Wow.
Last year one of the women I worked with's 15 year old daughter got pregnant. I kept quiet instead of congratulating her- it turned out to be the wrong thing to do.
Say something perfunctory but nice and then fade into the background.
Was I hearing rumbles that you think you might be or should be or have to be a male role model for the boy? You don't have to approve of the parents in order to take a kid out for the day occasionally..
(Shakes head) Edog as a great uncle.(shakes head again)
She's like 22 or 23 or something. My brother was ten years older than me, so there's only like a 10/12 year age difference between us. Hey, some people are grand parents at my age.

I wasn't implying I should become a role model, I was just concerned about that, but, I suppose if I need to step up and become a positive male influence, I can take him out to the strip clubs once in a while

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#94849 Dec 23, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
As a gesture of good faith, buy the kid a small Chritmas gift. Beanie Babies are still around $5.00 I think
Good idea, will do. We're having our family Christmas tonight so I'll likely see them

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94850 Dec 23, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't implying I should become a role model, I was just concerned about that, but, I suppose if I need to step up and become a positive male influence, I can take him out to the strip clubs once in a while
Strip Club?. With 2 moms he will see plenty of that. Take him to see The Chippendales or show him how to field dress a duck or do woodworking or watch WWE or something... or take him when you hang out with your buds so he can see how guys interact-- towel snapping and arm punching stuff...

Location hidden

#94851 Dec 23, 2013
What about a lunch at Hooters?...lol...
Timmy

United States

#94852 Dec 23, 2013
And Ohio starts to fall. This is right next door to Edog land. Will Illionois be next?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/1...
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
It *is* unconstitutional which is why the courts keep saying it. But, if it helps you get through another day without putting a gun in your mouth, keep thinking that things will change to be the way YOU think they should be.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#94853 Dec 23, 2013
Timmy wrote:
And Ohio starts to fall. This is right next door to Edog land. Will Illionois be next?
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/1...
<quoted text>
Illinois already joined the 21st Century. It's just some of its citizens that are insisting on remaining in the 19th.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#94854 Dec 23, 2013
Had a very good, productive day with my mom. Started with a morning appt. with my lung surgeon, which went well. Things look good.

Then we headed to the mall to wrap up (there you go, PE) my Christmas shopping. i had to be in a wheelchair, and my mom was great about it. I of course became the holder of everything (it was a very minimalist wheelchair), but I couldn't have shopped without it. We had a nice lunch (salmon at Ruby Tuesday). Then knocked off my list. My contribution to the gift exchange is a NICE big honkin' package from Hickory Farms. Not my thing, but for people who enjoy that, they'll love it.

Found a bracelet for Nick's mom to match a salmon/pink infinity scarf I'd already bought for her...$28. ouch. but it was perfect. But at checkout, the nice guy used a coupon on top of an uknown to me sale, and it came to $12. perfect.

Still waiting for two packages to arrive, at least one for Nick's dad's gift, but no biggie, what you gonna do?

Got all the stuff I needed, got some treats for the only two children who will be at the family gathering tomorrow night (just got each kid a package of Godiva chocolate oreo cookies). The only person I neglected was Nick's brother! I went overboard with everybody BUT him. But I realized this on the drive home. Eff it. I will spoil him for his birthday in February. Plus, he's getting some of my good stuff for his new house -- my two really nice lawn chairs, and my new food processor.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#94857 Dec 23, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry but I take umbrage over this. Not on your end. I think silence is an acceptable option and if someone gets mad because you don't either lie or get excited over a 15 y/o getting knocked up, well.....let's say they have more than one issue.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#94858 Dec 23, 2013
Idon't think I could say "congratulations" upon hearing that a 15yo was going to have and keep a baby.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#94859 Dec 23, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Idon't think I could say "congratulations" upon hearing that a 15yo was going to have and keep a baby.
Nope.

Heh...my newest guilty pleasure show is on TLC--"My teenager is pregnant and so am I". I've caught it a couple times when I work from home. The moms aren't any smarter than their teens.

Location hidden

#94860 Dec 24, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
Heh...my newest guilty pleasure show is on TLC--"My teenager is pregnant and so am I". I've caught it a couple times when I work from home. The moms aren't any smarter than their teens.
That is funny....seem's the corporate greed of television has reached down to find the lowest forms of humanity and society...it sure sells, huh?....Like Barnum's Freak Show....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94861 Dec 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Strip Club?. With 2 moms he will see plenty of that..
uh-oh. Another thing that bothers the dog

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94862 Dec 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> That is funny....seem's the corporate greed of television has reached down to find the lowest forms of humanity and society...it sure sells, huh?....Like Barnum's Freak Show....
This is not an attack on you, but it just kills me when I hear that term. Corporate greed. Anyone producing a tv show is doing it to make money. No one is doing it(nor most other jobs) for some altruistic purpose. I fail to see how this equates to greed. They put out a low cost show that apparently gets ratings, ie: people want to watch, and therefore make ad money. If no one watched, no one woild make money, and the show would get cancelled. That goes for every show no matter your opinion of the content. At your job, if you are not making any money, you wouldn't do it. And if you were making money you would. If this is what defines 'corporate greed' hen we are all greedy

Location hidden

#94863 Dec 24, 2013
I think that many corporations in the United States...previously had a enough profit is sufficient mentality.....but somewhere along the line, only massive profits were acceptable.....even in television....example: We have a local news show at noon, best weatherman i have ever seen....it has 16 minutes of news and 14 minutes of commercials and self-serving program previews.....that is just one example.....Perhap's i am just a bit older, and well remember a different time.....

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94864 Dec 24, 2013

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#94865 Dec 24, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Happy Holidays, all, whatever you may celebrate
My Democrat Friends:

Please accept with no obligation, implied or explicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low-stress, non-addictive, gender-neutral celebration of the winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, or secular practices of your choice, with respect for the religious/secular persuasion and/or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all. I also wish you a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2014, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make America great. Not to imply that America is necessarily greater than any other country, nor the only America in the Western Hemisphere. This wish is made without regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

To My Republican Friends:

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. In God We Trust & God Bless America!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghost 1,457,547
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 hr Dr Guru 230,912
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 5 hr Basil Fomeen 62,297
last post wins! (Dec '10) 5 hr honeymylove 2,740
Johnny Murray a/k/a Johnny's Marine 6 hr Elder James Johnson 34
last post wins! (Apr '13) 6 hr They cannot kill ... 1,953
Why does Chicago want to harbor illegal criminals 7 hr YIM 9

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages