“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94610 Dec 15, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TDAO3EQBBQ...

Abby

(Amy is taking a while to post; I will link when it comes up)

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94612 Dec 15, 2013
PEllen wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/chi cago/TDAO3EQBBQBQBEJ18
Abby
(Amy is taking a while to post; I will link when it comes up)
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T0QTAFTA9D...

Amy 12-13

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94613 Dec 15, 2013
Treasure Island bag boy wrote:
<quoted text>Just another Union-busting move with Dominicks. That's the bad news. The good news is that- with the labor savings- grocery prices will fall to last week's levels! Well, for awhile.....
Perhaps.

Except that the stores that have been sold thus far ( 15 stores) have gone to companies whose work force is unionized.

Both Jewel and Mariano's are union shops. The 11 Mariano-acquired stores terminated everyone and have held job fairs. The press announcement says that everyone has to reapply and that there is no preference given to existing Dominick's employees. To that extent the sale negated seniority systems, but they will still be a union shop.

That leaves roughly 57 stores which will close and have no present plans for re-opening. Separate and apart from the union issues, that leaves some very significant service area gaps, mostly in the city proper. It is hard to explain because even a minority focused chain like Moo and Oink couldn't keep in business.

What I found rather interesting were the things on the shelves that were not sold. I assumed that the checkout computers provided data on inventory and that the store could stock its shelves with things that sold at that particular store and drop or reduce shelf space for slow moving items. I am aware that food manufacturers can purchase prime shelf placement and that there is a competition for shelf space, but even so, if the items don't sell, no one makes money.

(Are you old enough to member the newspaper columns called Bag Boy about a guy at the Treasurer Island on Wells? As I recall they ran in the Daily News.They made it int a play, too)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#94615 Dec 16, 2013
redheadwglasses

Saint Paul, MN

#94616 Dec 16, 2013
Hi folks. Sorry to disappear on you, but I really want to avoid all the politics, fights, etc. I just don't have the stomach/time/mindset for it anymore. I talk to Jamwow regularly, told her I'd stop in now and then and visit!

Lots of info at caringbridge if you're bored.

My goals at this point are:(1) make it to my birthday, February 5, and make it to Nick's 40th (!!) birthday April 23. If I'm not around for his birthday, he won't want to do ANYTHING and I want him to have fun for his 40th. I'll pay for a party and my friends will do all the work to help us celebrate.

Friends are stepping up in amazing ways. I recently was in the hospital for 10 days and had lung surgery last Friday (I got home last Wednesday). Before the surgery, friend TK helped me by giving me two showers in my hospital room, gave me foot rubs. TK, Mindy and Mindy's mom cleaned my house and cleaned out my fridge, which had gone biohazard level in my illnesses and absences.

Nick's exwife sent me flowers in the hospital, signed the card from the boys and the three cats they've gotten (they call 'em the three ninjas, three black littermates). How nice was that? People stop by with food (lots of Godiva dark chocolate and Trader Joe's stuff), etc. They take out my garbage and bring my laundry up from the basement (those are very tough for me to do -- exhausting).

I feel bad for just disappearing and you deserve better than that. We've known each other a long time.

Later.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#94617 Dec 16, 2013
And in case you didn't have this.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/angelanims

Post there or don't, read there or don't. It doesn't matter to me, it's just info of all kinds for people. over 10,000 visits, so belonging to internet forums is blowing my relatives away with all the people posting. My mom and her sisters are drawing no small comfort from the posts.

People are wonderful if you just give them the chance to step up and give them opportunity to do something they like to do!:)

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#94618 Dec 16, 2013
Love you guys.

I'm trying to get better at using the L word. It's not something my family says a lot, but my girlfriends do a lot, so I'm warming up to it.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#94619 Dec 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Love you guys.
I'm trying to get better at using the L word. It's not something my family says a lot, but my girlfriends do a lot, so I'm warming up to it.
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
-2nd Corinthians 4:16-18

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#94620 Dec 17, 2013

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#94621 Dec 17, 2013
L??
As in LOL?
Ha!
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Love you guys.

#94622 Dec 17, 2013
Hey red how ya doing? Miss you!

Saint Petersburg, FL

#94623 Dec 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Love you guys.
Love you too Red - you are sorely missed!!!

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#94624 Dec 17, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
-2nd Corinthians 4:16-18
This made me cry.

West Palm Beach, FL

#94625 Dec 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Love you guys.
Love you too!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#94626 Dec 17, 2013
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
And in case you didn't have this.
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/angelanims
Post there or don't, read there or don't. It doesn't matter to me, it's just info of all kinds for people. over 10,000 visits, so belonging to internet forums is blowing my relatives away with all the people posting. My mom and her sisters are drawing no small comfort from the posts.
People are wonderful if you just give them the chance to step up and give them opportunity to do something they like to do!:)
Good to see you.

Wow. 10.000 messages. Good karma. That means you will come back as a fat pussycat in a nice suburban home with a back yard.

Whatever your path , let it be easy.
edogxxx

United States

#94627 Dec 17, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
This made me cry.
Sorry, that wasn't quite my intent

#94628 Dec 17, 2013
So, I was walking my mutt last friday and he suddenly yelped and started limping. I tried to carry him home, but he insisted on walking, limping all the way back to the house.

Ended up taking him to the vet and turns out he tore his ACL (yup, just like athletes do) So, he gets excellent pain meds and anti-inflamatory pills for the next two weeks.

Oh, and no steps or jumping, which means *I* have to sleep in the living room, so he does not try to get on the bed.

West Palm Beach, FL

#94629 Dec 17, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, that wasn't quite my intent
No, in a good way.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#94630 Dec 17, 2013
RACE wrote:
So, I was walking my mutt last friday and he suddenly yelped and started limping. I tried to carry him home, but he insisted on walking, limping all the way back to the house.
Ended up taking him to the vet and turns out he tore his ACL (yup, just like athletes do) So, he gets excellent pain meds and anti-inflamatory pills for the next two weeks.
Oh, and no steps or jumping, which means *I* have to sleep in the living room, so he does not try to get on the bed.
One of our neighbors has a yellow lab and she did something to her hip (she likes to play in the lake and the rocks near it, so I think she may have slipped) and had to have surgery and be in a full-leg cast for 6 weeks. This family lives on the second floor and they had (OK, dad did most of it) to carry her down the two flights 2-3 times daily.

It seems you have it easy.
:D

#94631 Dec 17, 2013
Yeah, what we dont do for our mutts. He's doing better, but I actually wince when I watch him walk around.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
One of our neighbors has a yellow lab and she did something to her hip (she likes to play in the lake and the rocks near it, so I think she may have slipped) and had to have surgery and be in a full-leg cast for 6 weeks. This family lives on the second floor and they had (OK, dad did most of it) to carry her down the two flights 2-3 times daily.
It seems you have it easy.
:D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 7 min Rogue Scholar 05 189,638
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 28 min Agents of Corruption 1,232,043
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 35 min Mothra 53,457
Music Artists A to Z (Feb '14) 4 hr _Zoey_ 404
Word (Dec '08) 4 hr _Zoey_ 5,237
Dear Abby 5-22-15 5 hr tiredofit 8
Another chilly, gloomy summer predicted for Chi... 8 hr Civil Blotter XIV 1
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]