Topix Chitown Regulars

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#94271 Dec 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I can only control MY actions. I should ne held accountanle for MY actions. I cannot force anyone else to act right. What lesson are you teaching the innocent? Do you get reprimanded if a co-worker violates company policy? If your co-worker is disrespectful of another employee, are YOU going to HR? Or is that for the aggrieved party to handle?
Where I work, we are routinely "punished" for the actions of a few bad apples. We used to have about a 5 minute period of wiggle room in the mornings to be clocked in, but since the same few people abused this, we are now treated like children who must clock in on time, and if you're not, you will be using vacation to cover the time (oh, and you can only use vacation in 15 minute increments). It is much easier to "punish" everyone than deal with the real problem/problem people.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94272 Dec 2, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the update, too?
It sounds like this wasn't just a few instances, but a culture of entitlement surrounding the members of the team. High school sports aren't supposed to focus on helping a couple kids become professional athletes. They are about teaching teenagers the skills and values that will stay with them through life and help them become productive members of society.
Sounds like the coach taught all of his players a lesson that will stick with them long after they forget the team's record.
To be clear, I'm not outraged by his decision, just innocents being punished because of the actions of others. Additionally, it could be a case where rhe reporting is not 100% accurate. I could easily see a case where so many of the players(but not all) where legitimately getting suspended that there simply were not enough innocents to field a team.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#94273 Dec 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>To be clear, I'm not outraged by his decision, just innocents being punished because of the actions of others. Additionally, it could be a case where rhe reporting is not 100% accurate. I could easily see a case where so many of the players(but not all) where legitimately getting suspended that there simply were not enough innocents to field a team.
As much as I am a proponent of individual responsibility, we live in a society where we are held accountable to each other. There are many times when the decisions of some people affect the lives of a bigger group. Look at elections in this country - you may not have voted for the winner or resolution, but you still must abide by their rules because you agreed to be part of the system.

As an adult, I prefer situations where my individual actions can be recognized and rewarded (or not, as the case may be). That is a big reason why I have avoided working in companies/industries that are unionized. For children, though, I think that the coach made the right decision. Also, I'm making a big assumption here, but football teams at most schools are held to their own set of standards and that may have been the case here. Anything short of this extreme punishment would have been overlooked it excused by the community (just look at how Steubenville protected their football team, even after video proof was exposed).

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#94274 Dec 2, 2013
I remember one time coming back from a trip to a play a football game out near the quad cities, a handful of guys on the back of the bus were mooning cars. Coach didn't say anything about it at first.

Next Monday rolled around. About halfway through practice, we stopped and did nothing but sprints and other things of those nature (crab walks for the length of the spring).

Once we were done with practice, the coach said something about the behavior on the bus.

Point is we all suffered, even those who did nothing wrong.

I think it's a way a technique that is employed for team building. The military does similar things during basic training. You all suffer together ... but it also forces you to learn from it and speak up too ... if you know you are going to get punished for what some other guy does, you stop thinking of him as an individual and yourselves as a team and how one person's conduct or a few people's conduct affects the team. It might not be fair, but life's not fair and the point isn't to be fair, but to build a team.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#94275 Dec 2, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
I'm not outraged by his decision, just innocents being punished because of the actions of others.
It happens all the time. Be it in school, sports, the military, even the job place. Everyone suffers the consequences of a few bad apples. It's part of learning to work as a team. Not sure why this concept seems so foreign and unjust to you.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#94276 Dec 2, 2013
My SIL's half sister's half sister friend requested me on Facebook, because we're "practically sisters-in-law". Kinda skeeved out by this.

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#94278 Dec 2, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
My SIL's half sister's half sister friend requested me on Facebook, because we're "practically sisters-in-law". Kinda skeeved out by this.
Can you draw me a family tree please?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#94279 Dec 2, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>Can you draw me a family tree please?
Fairly certain that tree forks back into itself many times.

SIL has an older half sister, "A" (same dad). She's roughly our age. "A" has an older sister, "D" (same mom). D is trying to friend me.

To be fair, I did meet her once. But this family and their weird non-existent personal boundaries. I don't want to wake up with her hovering over my bed with a meat cleaver or something.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#94280 Dec 2, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>Can you draw me a family tree please?
I was going to say the same thing!:)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#94281 Dec 3, 2013

Hollywood, FL

#94282 Dec 3, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Fairly certain that tree forks back into itself many times.
SIL has an older half sister, "A" (same dad). She's roughly our age. "A" has an older sister, "D" (same mom). D is trying to friend me.
To be fair, I did meet her once. But this family and their weird non-existent personal boundaries. I don't want to wake up with her hovering over my bed with a meat cleaver or something.
Thanks. And yeah, I'd leave that friend request in FB purgatory.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#94283 Dec 3, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. And yeah, I'd leave that friend request in FB purgatory.
J has a half sister like this, too. A lifetime of f'd up family life and they want to cling to any sort of perceived family structure they can. Eh...no thanks...

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#94284 Dec 3, 2013

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#94285 Dec 3, 2013
The ticket master one was painfully spot on!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94286 Dec 3, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
J has a half sister like this, too. A lifetime of f'd up family life and they want to cling to any sort of perceived family structure they can. Eh...no thanks...
That was YOUR side of the family?

When you say SIL, I thought you ere talking about the college sophomore sister of J.

Wow

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#94287 Dec 3, 2013
squishymama wrote:
Frosted Flakes are pretty GRRRRREAT, though. Sugar frosted corn? Mmm...

The rest are spot on.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#94288 Dec 3, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
That was YOUR side of the family?
When you say SIL, I thought you ere talking about the college sophomore sister of J.
Wow
I am. Not my side of the family.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#94289 Dec 3, 2013
J and my SIL, the one that lived with us, are halvsies. Same mom. They each have a plethora of siblings via their respective dads, I think at least 3 each. But if you ask J or SIL how many siblings they have, they'll only say each other.

“What's it to ya?”

Location hidden

#94291 Dec 3, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
J and my SIL, the one that lived with us, are halvsies. Same mom. They each have a plethora of siblings via their respective dads, I think at least 3 each. But if you ask J or SIL how many siblings they have, they'll only say each other.
Sounds like my family.

On my dad's side I had a step-brother and step-sister. Step-sister had 4 kids. That's easy enough they think of me as a (very distant) aunt. Step-brother had three kids, two born 6 months apart the same year Chris was born. The first one "little" John thinks of me as an aunt. I can live with that. The second one, Mary was duped by the step-bro and his GF on my dad and step-mom who eventually adopted her legally, so she is legally my adopted sister (I think it would be half sister…same dads different moms) and refers to me as her sister (ick by the way) but calls me "aunt." The third one, whom I have never ever met but who recently got in touch with the first and second ones now calls me "aunt." Yeah, ok.

My mom's side is even more convoluted. The niece that lives with me is my step-dad's, adopted daughter's kid.Her brother has an ex-gf who has a couple of kids who aren't his who think of me as their aunt. So my step-dad's adopted daughter's son's ex-gf's kids by the guy who went clinically insane (for real) think of me as their aunt and referred to Chris as their (first) cousin even though he would have been a second cousin…or third, I lose track.

Butttt nephew and ex-gf have a couple of their own kids who still aren't any blood kin to me also. Then other step-sis, who is my step-dad's bio daughter had three kids, one of which my mom and step-dad adopted so he is legally my (full..same mom's) brother. I ca;; him my brother-nephew. He is married to a guy who is either my BIL or nephew-in-law depending on the day.

There's more, but I'll just leave this right here.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#94292 Dec 3, 2013
My head hurts....Beer time.
Mimi Seattle wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like my family.
On my dad's side I had a step-brother and step-sister. Step-sister had 4 kids. That's easy enough they think of me as a (very distant) aunt. Step-brother had three kids, two born 6 months apart the same year Chris was born. The first one "little" John thinks of me as an aunt. I can live with that. The second one, Mary was duped by the step-bro and his GF on my dad and step-mom who eventually adopted her legally, so she is legally my adopted sister (I think it would be half sister…same dads different moms) and refers to me as her sister (ick by the way) but calls me "aunt." The third one, whom I have never ever met but who recently got in touch with the first and second ones now calls me "aunt." Yeah, ok.
My mom's side is even more convoluted. The niece that lives with me is my step-dad's, adopted daughter's kid.Her brother has an ex-gf who has a couple of kids who aren't his who think of me as their aunt. So my step-dad's adopted daughter's son's ex-gf's kids by the guy who went clinically insane (for real) think of me as their aunt and referred to Chris as their (first) cousin even though he would have been a second cousin…or third, I lose track.
Butttt nephew and ex-gf have a couple of their own kids who still aren't any blood kin to me also. Then other step-sis, who is my step-dad's bio daughter had three kids, one of which my mom and step-dad adopted so he is legally my (full..same mom's) brother. I ca;; him my brother-nephew. He is married to a guy who is either my BIL or nephew-in-law depending on the day.
There's more, but I'll just leave this right here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Earl 1,457,908
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 40 min jock itch lol 230,972
last post wins! (Dec '10) 7 hr They cannot kill ... 2,751
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 hr Moans6157 62,300
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 9 hr honeymylove 2,273
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 10 hr Doug77 9,840
Word (Dec '08) 18 hr PEllen 6,836

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages