Topix Chitown Regulars

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#94185 Nov 26, 2013
The kids, and teachers, are anxious and distracted. They've got a four day weekend coming up. The teachers are fretting about Thanksgiving dinner and drunk Uncle Frank. The kids just want off school. Neither is focused enough to learn or teach.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94186 Nov 26, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
We had the first week of November off because Election Day was that Tuesday and NJ holds Teachers' Convention the Thursday and Friday of that week.
Do many FL districts give the whole week of Thanksgiving off?
I couldn't say. I've no concern for the schedule in other district, so I have no idea.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#94187 Nov 26, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I assume you know that teachers get 39 weeks pay for 39 weeks work. Some districts give the option of spreading your annual pay over 52 weeks. So, yeah, they get 3 months off-without pay. We know how much you like it when you get laid off.
78k a year for eight months worth of work??-(after factoring in holidays)- Sweet deal! If you teach in the Chicago school district, that is.

(yes, I've had this and many a discussion with my sister, who is a teacher)

Can't imagine why Illinois is a hundred billion dollars in the hole...

I'm laid off again this week! And don't qualify for unemployment because of holiday pay! Woohoo! I get to eat three days' worth of income!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#94188 Nov 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>I'm laid off again this week! And don't qualify for unemployment because of holiday pay! Woohoo! I get to eat three days' worth of income!
You should go into trucking. My bro is an Owner Operator. He makes $80 an hour (works 6 days a week during the construction season). He has to pay for his fuel, insurance, taxes (he has to pay the employers share of SS and Medicare too, since he is Owner Operator). He's home every night, tho.

He has off all winter long and collects unemployment. Not a bad gig.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#94190 Nov 26, 2013
Yeah, and he already spends so much time in truck stops anyway...
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You should go into trucking. My bro is an Owner Operator. He makes $80 an hour (works 6 days a week during the construction season). He has to pay for his fuel, insurance, taxes (he has to pay the employers share of SS and Medicare too, since he is Owner Operator). He's home every night, tho.
He has off all winter long and collects unemployment. Not a bad gig.

Location hidden

#94191 Nov 26, 2013
Yekim wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Imagine if someone outside your family had a gig like that! Bless your teapublican heart....
I've never had a problem with it. It's part and parcel to working in the trades in a cold weather climate. 90% of the guys who work the trades have jobs like that. The only difference is they just don't make $80 an hour.

My mom's father was a flat top roofer in chicago (he was smart enough and responsible to be a foreman, unlike you) and her brother, my uncle does the same. They have off in the winter.

It also doesn't cost me anything for folks to collect unemployment. When liberals like you aren't extending it at the federal level, almost indefinitely, it's funded by employers, including my brother.

Location hidden

#94192 Nov 26, 2013
RACE wrote:
Yeah, and he already spends so much time in truck stops anyway...
<quoted text>
LMAO

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#94193 Nov 26, 2013
So, as usual, the squishyclan was running late this morning with an added bonus of street cleaning, so I couldn't just pull up to my MILs like I usually do; I had to find a spot on the other side of the street which always adds time because Asphaltia only knows if a spot will actually be available. So I spotted a legal one, but it was questionable if our Traverse would fit in it, but I decided to try anyway. Nailed it the first time! to my great surprise. When I got the kids to the car, my MIL said she had been eyeing that space and wondering if I would try it. She was impressed too and told me I should teach parallel parking.

That made up for the bonehead move I pulled earlier. You see, I have this big toenail that gets ingrown sometimes (usually when I start wearing closed shoes after sandals all summer) so I was trying to get at that with a pair of those curved pointy fingernail scissors (it's the only kind that work) and well, I slipped and stabbed myself. At first I didn't think it was too bad, but when the blood started dripping out of the hand I was holding under the toe, I knew I'd effed up. Freaked Dickie and the kids out, and honestly I was a little scared too...So now the toe is wrapped tightly with cotton and waterproof medical tape (it was all we could find) and I'm being grateful for Crocs that are a little too big.

Location hidden

#94195 Nov 26, 2013
Yekim wrote:
<quoted text>So, if I was a non-foreman, flat-top roofer, you evidently WOULD have a problem with that. That's not honest work? How convenient.
Fail number 1. I never said I would have a problem with that. Evidently, you are too stupid to realize this.
Yekim wrote:
<quoted text>How come, in all your past raging about teachers making too much money, you never mentioned your elitist brother and his collecting unemployment before? Does he not have bootstraps? A law degree so that he might post on Topix those cold months? I'm beginning to believe you make this sh!t up as you go along.
Fail number 2. I have never said anything to suggest I am against unemployment benefits not for teachers or anyone.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94197 Nov 26, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
78k a year for eight months worth of work??-(after factoring in holidays)- Sweet deal! If you teach in the Chicago school district, that is.
(yes, I've had this and many a discussion with my sister, who is a teacher)
Can't imagine why Illinois is a hundred billion dollars in the hole...
I'm laid off again this week! And don't qualify for unemployment because of holiday pay! Woohoo! I get to eat three days' worth of income!
For a 208 day work year starting pay is $48686. It tops out in the $90,000's but that would be fr someone with a PhD and many years experience. Chelizal would not qualify for that yet.

For a 228 day work year it starts at $53209 and tops out at $104011.

Those represent days worked or or compulsory attendance such as institute days. That is not a consecutive day schedule.

You can see the union contract pay schedule by Googling Chicago Public School teacher pay scale.

Hard data there

CPS pay scale is not the same as other districts in Illinois- some pay more, some less.

Combat pay not included.

No combat duty pay.
Timmy

United States

#94199 Nov 26, 2013
Not sure what kind of point you are trying to make. I know a lot of folks that would jump at a job with that pay scale.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>For a 208 day work year starting pay is $48686. It tops out in the $90,000's but that would be fr someone with a PhD and many years experience. Chelizal would not qualify for that yet.
For a 228 day work year it starts at $53209 and tops out at $104011.
Those represent days worked or or compulsory attendance such as institute days. That is not a consecutive day schedule.
You can see the union contract pay schedule by Googling Chicago Public School teacher pay scale.
Hard data there
CPS pay scale is not the same as other districts in Illinois- some pay more, some less.
Combat pay not included.
No combat duty pay.

Location hidden

#94200 Nov 26, 2013
GOP all over logic wrote:
<quoted text>make a lot of made up money
Someone's jealous:

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindu...

I had no idea they made that much, either. He has to spend about 1000 on fuel out of his own pocket each week, pay taxes (including the employer's share for SS/Medicare), make truck payments and repairs, and provide his own healthcare.

He works more than 6 months out of the year. He was working until last Friday, but they are probably done now for the season.

Not a bad job (if you can land one ... local jobs where you are home every night are hard to find ... my family knows folks in the industry, tho <cha-ching>) and sure beats long haul, which he was doing for awhile.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#94202 Nov 26, 2013
Timmy wrote:
Not sure what kind of point you are trying to make. I know a lot of folks that would jump at a job with that pay scale.
<quoted text>
Starting pay at 48k a year?? Oh, the horrors!

Location hidden

#94203 Nov 26, 2013
Yekim wrote:
That STILL doesn't explain why he can't work instead of collecting unemployment. I guess those conservative *values* are just for show. Make up something better.
Of course you wouldn't understand, but a non-moron would understand that since the job sites all shut down in the winter, everyone gets laid off (not just the truck drivers, but everyone who works on the job), and there is no work for him to do ... that this explains why he can't do work in the winter, i.e. there is none.

To a moron like you, the fact that there is no work for him to do STILL doesn't explain why he doesn't work.

You might want to lay off the paint fumes, gramps.
Timmy

United States

#94204 Nov 26, 2013
Hey Tonka, you got a prediction for the FSU game this weekend? Think they'll make it to triple digits or take in easy on them poor gators and only put up about 70?
Some Common Sense

Chicago, IL

#94205 Nov 26, 2013
McDonald's is open 12 months out of the year.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#94206 Nov 26, 2013
First job out of college, 26 a year

Second job, 32

Third job, 44

My sister, who holds a masters degree, makes even less. Looks like we got into the wrong business! And the wrong location!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94208 Nov 26, 2013
Sigh.

Last year my CA daughter missed Christmas due to the weather. This year my PA daughter just decided not to drive in due to the weather.

PA daughter is near Allentown.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94209 Nov 26, 2013
Timmy wrote:
Hey Tonka, you got a prediction for the FSU game this weekend? Think they'll make it to triple digits or take in easy on them poor gators and only put up about 70?
Isn't USC-UCLA this weekend? I'm thinking that maaaybe Auburn has a shot at Alabama....Rivalry weekend....

Location hidden

#94211 Nov 26, 2013
Perry Mason wrote:
<quoted text>A compelling argument, counselor, and I mean that in a condescending and sarcastic manner. Did you attend law school in prison? As my esteemed colleague here pointed out, McDonalds is always hiring and, as you have pointed out in the past, it is NOT intended for full time work or as a career. Your "bro" is a serial collector of unemployment. He doesn't even try to find work. He takes a handout, every season. This is not *conservative values*. At least not the carp you people demand others follow.
Unemployment doesn't require you to take any job available, and I never said it should, as you claim. So, you flat out lie when you claim I demand that folks forgo unemployment if it is available and take any job available.

Even if unemployment did require this, Mcdonalds isn't going to hire someone for 3 months. No one is going to hire someone for three months.

While you spend thanksgiving alone, try to think of something better and get back to me, loser. This attempt of yours is nothing more than a FAIL, just like your existence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min THE DEVIL 1,278,930
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min Joe Balls 197,202
News Should prostitution be less illegal-or more? 21 min woodtick57 11
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr Doug77 6,449
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr Into The Night 54,624
abby 9-4-15 4 hr mrs gladys kravitz 6
Word (Dec '08) 4 hr Red_Forman 5,431
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages