Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#94161 Nov 25, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with pretty much all of the above. I was an adult person at that time and do remember seeing what was going on at the time.
The domino theory was a subject of interest to me then for some reason and still is. It's used again and again for many issues, even here. It really didn't happen except for two countries. Even Westmoreland said it was wrong.
And remember Kennedy wasn't in office very long. Don't know how things would have changed had he gone full term. Look how long the
middle east conflicts have been going on. You would think the pols would have learned something from history when in 10 years we couldn't "win" that one.
I agree.

Location hidden

#94162 Nov 25, 2013
dahgts wrote:
If anyone of you is offered a job out of the US would you pack it all up and go? Whether for a few years or even longer. Single or married, with or without kids. Would the idea of living in a different culture appeal to you? Where would you not go?
I would. It does appeal to me ... assuming I could find good education opportunities for my boys and assuming it was in a safe place. About the only places I would not consider would be places that are unsafe or politically unstable due to family concerns.

Location hidden

#94163 Nov 25, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
They don't know they can get an education and/or learn a trade and get a job. It seems simple to you but not to someone of very poor background. It's not in a very poor communities realm of thinking. They're too busy trying to eat, stay alive and worry about dinner.
You share the mentality of a slave master. They used to say the same sorts of things. The slaves canít fend for themselves Ö they need someone to care for them Ö they are too dumb to know any better.

And trying to eat does not hold people back. Starvation does not exist in this country. For all the excuses you make, you fail to appreciate that the poor in this country live better than 90% of the rest of the world. Folks who grow up in that 90% when given the opportunity to succeed often do too. So, for you to claim it is primarily circumstances out of their control that hold them back is a fallacy.

And for all this talk of the community ... move the eff out of the community if you really want a better life for your child. My ancestors got on wooden ships, sailed across the ocean, risked high mortality, and came to a foreign land in search of a better life. Given this it's not too much to expect someone to move from the ghetto to somewhere with a low crime rate, like North Dakota or many of the other locals with low crime rate.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Often times the communities in which poor children grow up in are high crime areas. It affects children as they are often exposed to crime and maltreatment (to put it mildly) at a young age, which is proven to reduce a child's ability to learn by up to 5%. Many times these kids get caught up in the crime that goes on all around them which worsens the effects of the cycle as they are often incarcerated or killed in many types of gang violence.
Itís due to a lack of parenting and effort. Show me an involved parent, show me a parent who makes studying, getting good grades, reading and other school work a priority Ö show me a parent who is involved with their child and with what groups and who said child is associating with Ö show me a parent who instills good values, stresses a good work ethic, makes education a top priority and Iíll show you a child who stands a much, much better chance of succeeding in life than the folks you make excuses for.
Not the dog

Hollywood, FL

#94164 Nov 25, 2013
Lying again I see
RACE wrote:
Maybe not, but at least I never wrongly accused somebody of trying to assassinate it either.
<quoted text>

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94166 Nov 25, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TGLD8JV6GG...

Amy for 11-25 but Topix is being wonky . I am not sure how much will show for other people

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94167 Nov 25, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TANGNK2KRQ...

Abby 11-25-13. We'll see if it sticks

Location hidden

#94168 Nov 25, 2013
A thought wrote:
eliminating food stamps Ö thinning the herd, eliminating the weaker old folks and children who can't fend for themselves?
You forgot to mention FEMA death camps in your list of hyperbole.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#94169 Nov 25, 2013
FLMAO!
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to mention FEMA death camps in your list of hyperbole.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#94170 Nov 25, 2013
I don't usually support muslim women wearing a veil or otherwise covering their face, except in this case. Who would have thought that the veil would be a sign of rebellion...

http://news.yahoo.com/chinese-anti-veil-beaut...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94172 Nov 25, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Surprised there are two other states run worse than Illinois.
At least the worse off states aren't run by Democrats! Oh, wait a minute....
..Best run states were the ones without people...lol...Utah...North Dakota....

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94173 Nov 25, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I hope that your kids turn out to be better human beings then you and dog and the rest of the trash that considers this subject to be appropriate, dumb or funny.
I'm from the George Carlin school of comedy where you can joke about ANY topic. Edog's comment was obviously meant as a joke. Wasn't really funny, but hardly OMG offensive.

Location hidden

#94174 Nov 25, 2013
squishymama wrote:
I don't usually support muslim women wearing a veil or otherwise covering their face, except in this case. Who would have thought that the veil would be a sign of rebellion...
http://news.yahoo.com/chinese-anti-veil-beaut...
I support women wearing whatever they want, including a veil, if that is what they truly want to do.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#94175 Nov 25, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I support women wearing whatever they want, including a veil, if that is what they truly want to do.
In theory, I do too. It's just that it's gotten corrupted in places like Afghanistan, where the veil is used to control women.

Location hidden

#94176 Nov 25, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
In theory, I do too. It's just that it's gotten corrupted in places like Afghanistan, where the veil is used to control women.
That's why I qualified it with, if they really want to. While some are, not all women who wear them are forced to do so. For some, if not many, it's a part of their belief system. I may not agree with their belief system, but I respect their right to practice it.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#94177 Nov 25, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
I may not agree with their belief system, but I respect their right to practice it.
Hmmm... if only we can get liberals on board with this attitude....

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#94178 Nov 26, 2013

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#94179 Nov 26, 2013
The boys' school has an assembly planned for this morning. They already have a half day tomorrow and Thursday and Friday off. Why would they decrease instruction time any more this week? I think it is ridiculous.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94180 Nov 26, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
The boys' school has an assembly planned for this morning. They already have a half day tomorrow and Thursday and Friday off. Why would they decrease instruction time any more this week? I think it is ridiculous.
my kid is off this whole week.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#94181 Nov 26, 2013
And then they get three months off during the summer! If schools aren't gonna teach our kids, who else is supposed to?!?

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#94182 Nov 26, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>my kid is off this whole week.
We had the first week of November off because Election Day was that Tuesday and NJ holds Teachers' Convention the Thursday and Friday of that week.

Do many FL districts give the whole week of Thanksgiving off?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 9 min Bluestater 1,277,193
News Doctor disciplined for allegedly chastising Chi... (Jul '09) 17 min pailrider 161
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 48 min Red_Forman 6,434
Word (Dec '08) 48 min Red_Forman 5,429
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 53 min IBdaMann 54,549
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Joe Balls 196,955
News Arrests made after Two-Month burglary Spree in ... 5 hr fedupcracker 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages