Topix Chitown Regulars

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#94111 Nov 23, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
I was fortunate to grow up with a father that worked in the airlines, which contributed to my desire to travel, so thru years of research, i would acclimate easily to UK, France, Holland and especially Germany....possibly Italy, but not Spain....Love Switzerland and Austria, but they are ungodly expensive....Scandinavian countries are too damn cold...lol....In Asia, Japan is wonderful....Thailand, Singapore and possibly Vietnam....I was in China, but would'nt be comfortable there....too nuclear winter.....zero interest in Africa, South and Central America or the Middle East.......that's just me.....
At this time in my life job changes are not going to happen, but if I use 20/20 hindsight I'd go almost anywhere. I was never tied to my family that much. When I was married Europe would definitely be in the running. More appreciation there for my then husband's music and good for kids to see other cultures.
Later when kids are grown then anyplace other then third world countries.

Although given the needed finances I'd go now long term to Europe, especially France or Spain.

I kept telling my son to marry a flight attendant so I could travel, but he ignored me. Kids!!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#94112 Nov 23, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
At this time in my life job changes are not going to happen, but if I use 20/20 hindsight I'd go almost anywhere. I was never tied to my family that much. When I was married Europe would definitely be in the running. More appreciation there for my then husband's music and good for kids to see other cultures.
Although given the needed finances I'd go now long term to Europe, especially France or Spain.
I kept telling my son to marry a flight attendant so I could travel, but he ignored me. Kids!!
I wish I travelled more, but then again I am happy I stayed put and stayed close to friends and family. I have to say I'm in a period of the family not being as close as we used to be, but that always ebbs and flows. If I really needed something they would be there and I can count on that. I realize our lives go into phases.

If I had to do things over again I would do it differently. Not that I regret anything but rather to have different experiences I have not already had.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#94113 Nov 23, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I travelled more, but then again I am happy I stayed put and stayed close to friends and family. I have to say I'm in a period of the family not being as close as we used to be, but that always ebbs and flows. If I really needed something they would be there and I can count on that. I realize our lives go into phases.
If I had to do things over again I would do it differently. Not that I regret anything but rather to have different experiences I have not already had.
You said this very well. Who knows what we would have done with different opportunities if they were presented.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#94114 Nov 23, 2013
I love that technology now makes it easier to stay close to people who don't live near you. I remember my Mom calling her mother every Sunday, because long distance was free on weekends. My Dad's mom used to send weekly letters, typed, to her children who lived out of state.

I talk to my Mom at least once a day via phone, text or email. My Dad is now on FB (and I anticipate him commenting on more of my posts once he retires on March). My boys Skype with their cousins.

I could live anywhere, as long as I had access to technology.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94117 Nov 23, 2013
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting. It sounded at first like the 'scrolling' of 45 posts went quite smoothly for you. We hear such advice all the time. Just scroll by... You proved how easy it was!

Then you went from scrolling to controlling. Is that really easier?
Not everyone wants to participate in every conversation. It is one thing to skip a 2 hour convo, quite another to feel like you want to avoid a regular hang out because one topic is dominating the threads for a whole day (or two or three).

AS's post was a perfectly acceptable segue into a new conversation. We all need reminders that not everyone has the same interests we do. Those of us fixated on one topic are free to continue the discussion on a new thread.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#94118 Nov 23, 2013
And then shall many be offended, and betray one another, and shall hate one another.

-Matthew 24:10

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94121 Nov 23, 2013
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>So, I was wrong about it being "controlling" them?

Thanks for telling me! Is there a copy of the rules that folks can consult for what is and is not acceptable conversation and who is in charge of conversation on any given day? That would help.
How was it controlling? Did she prevent you from posting unless you followed her instructions? Did she delete your previous posts that she didn't like?

Anyone is free to bring up a new subject, just like you are free to ignore that post and continue with what you were talking about.

Why is it necessary to be so antagonistic?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94122 Nov 23, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I have several friends that have retired in Thailand and Philippines....but, i find Florida's positives, way higher than anything overseas.....since i am retired now, i get edgy at about the 2 week stage, and can't wait to get home....I had to go in a hospital once overseas, and that fear alway's stays with you.....Also, much as i love Germany, it's climate is too much like Michigan.....

Location hidden

#94123 Nov 23, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
You said this very well. Who knows what we would have done with different opportunities if they were presented.
Yesterday reminded me of Frank and i, glued to the TV, 50 years ago....watching what was possibly the saddest funeral ever, and the day before, seeing Lee Harvey Oswald shot dead, on live TV.....that period never leaves you, i even choked up watching the Tom Brokaw special, last night......

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#94125 Nov 23, 2013
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't think she was being antagonistic, just controlling.
Seriously, doesn't one passive/aggressive post like hers deserve another? A subject change can happen with a simple post without the soap-boxing, don't you think? I was beginning to enjoy that conversation about Vietnam but, that's 'political'. Was she wrong to bring that up? Like I said- a handbook or a Terms Of Service would be helpful.
Suggesting, not controlling. Anyone is free to suggest. One doesn't have to participate....that's the TOS.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#94126 Nov 23, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Yesterday reminded me of Frank and i, glued to the TV, 50 years ago....watching what was possibly the saddest funeral ever, and the day before, seeing Lee Harvey Oswald shot dead, on live TV.....that period never leaves you, i even choked up watching the Tom Brokaw special, last night......
I can picture him sitting there..always liked him. I remember coming home from the laundromat and hearing it on the radio. Tom and I then went to a bar.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#94129 Nov 23, 2013
Re living somewhere else for awhile.... my brother, SIL & nephews have been in Munich for 2.5 years now. Their "stuff" has been packed up and is on a container ship somewhere between Hamburg & NYC now. SIL is soooo over the ex-pat thing by now. i think there is a difference between being an ex-pat worker, ex-pat non-working spouse & "tourist".around we have family friends who have sailed the carribbean & around europe (until they ran out of money; sob) and recently spent time in Paris. the friends have enjoyed their time in the many cities

I could see doing western europe or the british isles. i have no interest in south america, africa or asia.... <shrug> If i were able to do my own thing, i think i'd be ok as a non-working spouse. i found that i liked the bavarian castles, and i think i'd enjoy being able to leran about them (or their comparable historical sites) on my own schedule. If i had to cart kids around and make that kind of life for me, i think it would be a different story than if i were allowed to do my own thing.

I haven't thought too much about this... we do talk abuot what to do if we won Power Ball, and spending considerable time traveling is high on the list.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#94130 Nov 24, 2013

Location hidden

#94131 Nov 24, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I can picture him sitting there..always liked him. I remember coming home from the laundromat and hearing it on the radio. Tom and I then went to a bar.
When President Kennedy was shot, we were in line at 5th grade, Blackhawk Elementary in Park Forest....i think it was after lunch....all of a sudden, the teacher's were crying and told us to go on home, that the President had been killed.....I don't think they would just do that today, cut all the kids, just loose like that....BTW, Our teacher, Mrs. Kelly.....told us all once, that her uncle owned the garages...where the Valentines Day Massacre took place....lol...She really knew how to keep a 5th graders attention...lol...

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#94132 Nov 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> When President Kennedy was shot, we were in line at 5th grade, Blackhawk Elementary in Park Forest....i think it was after lunch....all of a sudden, the teacher's were crying and told us to go on home, that the President had been killed.....I don't think they would just do that today, cut all the kids, just loose like that....BTW, Our teacher, Mrs. Kelly.....told us all once, that her uncle owned the garages...where the Valentines Day Massacre took place....lol...She really knew how to keep a 5th graders attention...lol...
Your teachers were more interesting then the meanie nuns at St. Aggie's.

Location hidden

#94133 Nov 24, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Your teachers were more interesting then the meanie nuns at St. Aggie's.
Did you go to Marian Catholic?...My friends and i used to go to their football games, just to checkout all the hottie italian girls....lol.....they seemed to mature early...like 14-15.......
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#94135 Nov 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Did you go to Marian Catholic?...My friends and i used to go to their football games, just to checkout all the hottie italian girls....lol.....they seemed to mature early...like 14-15.......
Bloom girls weren't too shabby either.

Location hidden

#94136 Nov 24, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Bloom girls weren't too shabby either.
They were good, but dangerous... My sophmore year, they stopped the Bloom-Rich East football series, because of too many fights and a stabbing.....then we could just concentrate on Homewood-Flossmor....lol....
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#94137 Nov 24, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>They were good, but dangerous... My sophmore year, they stopped the Bloom-Rich East football series, because of too many fights and a stabbing.....then we could just concentrate on Homewood-Flossmor....lol....
Not in my day...we were just tough, not violent. Besides we thought Rich HS somewhat tame then. My group infiltrated Thornton.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

#94138 Nov 24, 2013
Did Topix just remove the whole Abby post?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min Nostrilis Waxmoron 1,275,981
abby 8-28-15 18 min RACE 6
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 23 min Lexus1985 1,720
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min Rogue Scholar 05 196,888
Song Titles Only (group/artist in parenthesis m... (Mar '10) 37 min RJS 8,133
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 53 min RACE 6,420
Ask Amy 8-30-15 1 hr RACE 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages