Topix Chitown Regulars

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#94021 Nov 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
would reliable contraceptives be in your budget?
Absolutely, it's called abstinence

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#94024 Nov 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely, it's called abstinence
Should low income married couples practice abstinence? Isn't sex part of a fulfilling, committed marriage or is it just for procreation?

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#94026 Nov 22, 2013
Ok, since your having a hard time grasping my concept.
Gun safety should be a required course in schools, or at the very least offered as an elective.

You would think parents would encourage their kids to take such a class because even if they don't own guns, the parents of their kids friends might, and such a class could save their life.

So, whats your next gripe?
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>Slow arguing day for you? You said it should be "required". I said that such classes were out there for those that want to learn but that it shouldn't be required, a la Sparta. Now you say gun classes could be an "elective" which is what I suggested in my post.
Maybe your avatar should read: "An Idea Stealer" or "Blind Man's Bluff"?

#94027 Nov 22, 2013
And I did NOT say required

RACE wrote:
Both Squishy and I believe that gun safety should be taught in school.
<quoted text>

So, either learn to read or quit putting words in my mouth.
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>Slow arguing day for you? You said it should be "required". I said that such classes were out there for those that want to learn but that it shouldn't be required, a la Sparta. Now you say gun classes could be an "elective" which is what I suggested in my post.
Maybe your avatar should read: "An Idea Stealer" or "Blind Man's Bluff"?

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94028 Nov 22, 2013
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>The GOP plan is that, if contraception is not available by insurance or available in stores, people will just stop having sex unless it's strictly for procreation and not at all enjoyable.
Hmmm, my first reply isn't showing up. Let's try again...

Are you going to give an actual answer to the question or just act like a partisan glassbowl?

This is why are getting nowhere in this country - because people are too busy blaming other people or spewing rhetoric to have actual conversations.

#94032 Nov 22, 2013
Oh, shut up moron, I was simply pandering to your post about what I said, not what I actually said.

Nice try though loser, Oh, and what exactly was your thought? Right, you never had one.
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>THIS was right above:
"Ok, since your having a hard time grasping my concept.
Gun safety should be a required course in schools, or at the very least offered as an elective."

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#94033 Nov 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Should low income married couples practice abstinence? Isn't sex part of a fulfilling, committed marriage or is it just for procreation?
Swallow. Condoms aren't ridiculously expensive. Use the beer money. Whatever. All I'm saying is *I* am not responsible for YOUR birth control.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#94035 Nov 22, 2013
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>The GOP plan is that, if contraception is not available by insurance or available in stores, people will just stop having sex unless it's strictly for procreation and not at all enjoyable.
The GOP plan is personal responsibility. A concept lost on liberals.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94037 Nov 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Seemingly random question that stems from a frustrating Facebook convo - where/how do you obtain your contraception? If it was not available through insurance, would reliable contraceptives be in your budget?
Planned parenthood. Both of my girls used that service when they wer in school and the insurance did not cover contraception.

That is one of the main reasons they are one of the few charities I send money to- because their efforts are aimed at controlling whether you get pregnant as well as ancillary stuff.
Also,, around here there are a couple of less well publicized organizations that do education on sexual health issues and provide access to pills inexpensively

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94038 Nov 22, 2013
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>Well, the rhetoric I hear out of the right is they are pandering to the sentiments of the Christian right that dictates that sex is solely for procreation in marriage so, contraception is NOT necessary because if you are not married, you should only be practicing abstinence anyway. Thus, they don't want it to be part of an insurance package because it would encourage people to have sex just for fun.

That is my actual answer.
I didn't ask what your interpretation of the GOP's mindset is.

I asked what other alternatives there are that people are actually using and how changes in insurance would affect those decisions.

You can't make everyone follow your belief system and people don't want some politician telling them how they "should" live. I am an optimist and an idealist, but I would rather look at society objectively and realistically than get so caught up in ideals that nothing gets accomplished.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94039 Nov 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>The GOP plan is personal responsibility. A concept lost on liberals.
Promoting personal responsibility only works when citizens are educated and have the means to be self-sufficient.

#94040 Nov 22, 2013
No, you shouldn't. You should just admit your wrong, you were bested and shut your pie hole.

Cheers.
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>Yikes! I guess I shouldn't bring up your post from yesterday when you chastised someone for "name-calling".
You're kind of a hypocrite....

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94041 Nov 22, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
He totally f'd up the bay of pigs, by denying air support, but he handled the Cuban missile crisis well. I honestly don't think he'd even recognize the Democrat party today.
The democrat party has strayed so far from:
"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."
It's not even a thought that exists for them anymore. Not even in the slightest. They are the party of zero personal responsibility and zero personal accountability. They honestly think that a lack of money is the cause of poverty, when it is merely a symptom of what causes folks to be poor.
Heard an interesting story on NPR yesterday, about Philadelphia schools and how poor children are so disadvantaged from a very early age in a range of areas, from vocabulary, reading, social skills. The one person said the people of Philadephia should be ashamed. I thought to myself, why … the causes of this are parenting or I should say a lack thereof. Creating more entitlements unfortunately doesn’t make a poor parent a good parents, however. It doesn’t make a parent sit down and do the chore of reading with their child … doing homework with them … teaching them how to speak proper English (as I do with my children and they usually give me a flippant attitude, but I always tell them, they will thank me when they are older and they get it … I tell them they will thank me when they look for a job or when they talk to a girl they want to date).
Case in point, the one mother they talked about had one child with one man who abandoned her and the child and two more children with a man who is in prison. What are the odds that someone with such pi$$ poor judgment could ever raise a child to achieve? It would almost take the rare child who has an innate sense of achievement in him to break way from that. Money won’t do it.
These things are completely lost on liberals. They honestly think money is the problem. However, you don’t need money to stress education, teach children, be a good parent, put in effort, and money doesn’t fix it where it is lacking. If folks would do these things you wouldn’t have so families where generation after generation underachieve.
They offer no solutions. I liken their solutions to putting tourniquets and band aids on a hemophiliac and not addressing the fact that the problem is coagulation and that this is what needs to be addressed. Knee jerk reactions is about the extent of their thought on the issue.
Not that republicans are perfect. Their sentiments on many social issues and the notion of what freedom means (IMO, unless one is harming other people, folks should be free to their life as they see fit, not as others would see fit ... including gay folks) are repulsive to me.
Daniel Patrick Moynihan had his early public service as part of teh JFK administration.

Many of the programs you are reviling stared with his notions but mainly those developed under Johnson.

Still, if you are looking to blame Kennedy for something, he is a good place to start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Patrick_M...

US involvement in Vietnam , like most foreign affairs was a continuum, but the first advisers were sent in by Kennedy. It escalated under Johnson, certainly, but Kennedy put us in there after the French were kicked out at Dien Ben Phu in 1952.

#94042 Nov 22, 2013
Calling you a moron is kind of a compliment.
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>Yikes! I guess I shouldn't bring up your post from yesterday when you chastised someone for "name-calling".
You're kind of a hypocrite....

#94043 Nov 22, 2013
Yay! Thoughless learned how to use the icon thingy's

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94044 Nov 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't feel like re-typing, so I am just going to copy what I wrote on FB:

how did you learn to use a condom properly? The typical failure rate is 18%, according to the CDC. That is significantly lower than many other forms of contraception. This isn't about entitlement or people just wanting things for free. It is about looking at where we are now as a society and figuring out how to make improvements both in government and in society as a whole.

If you don't want to subsidize birth control, does it make sense to just tell people to use condoms, but cross your fingers that their parents are educated and compassionate enough to have a comprehensive discussion with their teenagers about sex education?

Where do we allocate our money? To birth control and education, to subsidized preschool and daycare or to the court systems and prisons?

http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/Uninten...

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94045 Nov 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Planned parenthood. Both of my girls used that service when they wer in school and the insurance did not cover contraception.
That is one of the main reasons they are one of the few charities I send money to- because their efforts are aimed at controlling whether you get pregnant as well as ancillary stuff.
Also,, around here there are a couple of less well publicized organizations that do education on sexual health issues and provide access to pills inexpensively
As far as I can gleam, the big objection that many people have to Planned Parenthood is that they perform abortions. They do so much more, though, and I don't know where many low-income or uneducated people would get effective sex education without them or places like them.
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#94048 Nov 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Personal responsibility also includes going to the Dr. or a clinic and to a drug store, and being able to afford safe and reliable birth control with hopefully an insurance plan that helps cover it. A concept lost on GOP.

#94049 Nov 22, 2013
Really? so uneducated people are absolved of personal responsibility? It's ok if they steal, or have more children than they can afford to feed?

Sorry, but if the uneducated cant understand that its not ok to steal, and they should not have children they cant feed, then maybe we should just incarcerate and sterilize the whole lot of them.
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Promoting personal responsibility only works when citizens are educated and have the means to be self-sufficient.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#94050 Nov 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't feel like re-typing, so I am just going to copy what I wrote on FB:
how did you learn to use a condom properly?
By reading the directions!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 9 min Dr Guru 216,450
AG Lynch proves to be a deceptive liar. 11 min They cannot kill ... 2
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 25 min Yeah 1,394,428
last post wins! (Dec '10) 38 min They cannot kill ... 2,126
the larry meber political forum (Jun '11) 43 min A Noted Observer 48
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 70,698
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr IB DaMann 60,011
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages