Topix Chitown Regulars

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#94042 Nov 22, 2013
Calling you a moron is kind of a compliment.
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>Yikes! I guess I shouldn't bring up your post from yesterday when you chastised someone for "name-calling".
You're kind of a hypocrite....

“Where is Tonka?”

#94043 Nov 22, 2013
Yay! Thoughless learned how to use the icon thingy's

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#94044 Nov 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The GOP plan is personal responsibility. A concept lost on liberals.
I don't feel like re-typing, so I am just going to copy what I wrote on FB:

how did you learn to use a condom properly? The typical failure rate is 18%, according to the CDC. That is significantly lower than many other forms of contraception. This isn't about entitlement or people just wanting things for free. It is about looking at where we are now as a society and figuring out how to make improvements both in government and in society as a whole.

If you don't want to subsidize birth control, does it make sense to just tell people to use condoms, but cross your fingers that their parents are educated and compassionate enough to have a comprehensive discussion with their teenagers about sex education?

Where do we allocate our money? To birth control and education, to subsidized preschool and daycare or to the court systems and prisons?

http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/Uninten...

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94045 Nov 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>Planned parenthood. Both of my girls used that service when they wer in school and the insurance did not cover contraception.
That is one of the main reasons they are one of the few charities I send money to- because their efforts are aimed at controlling whether you get pregnant as well as ancillary stuff.
Also,, around here there are a couple of less well publicized organizations that do education on sexual health issues and provide access to pills inexpensively
As far as I can gleam, the big objection that many people have to Planned Parenthood is that they perform abortions. They do so much more, though, and I don't know where many low-income or uneducated people would get effective sex education without them or places like them.
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#94048 Nov 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
The GOP plan is personal responsibility. A concept lost on liberals.
Personal responsibility also includes going to the Dr. or a clinic and to a drug store, and being able to afford safe and reliable birth control with hopefully an insurance plan that helps cover it. A concept lost on GOP.

“Where is Tonka?”

#94049 Nov 22, 2013
Really? so uneducated people are absolved of personal responsibility? It's ok if they steal, or have more children than they can afford to feed?

Sorry, but if the uneducated cant understand that its not ok to steal, and they should not have children they cant feed, then maybe we should just incarcerate and sterilize the whole lot of them.
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Promoting personal responsibility only works when citizens are educated and have the means to be self-sufficient.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#94050 Nov 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't feel like re-typing, so I am just going to copy what I wrote on FB:
how did you learn to use a condom properly?
By reading the directions!

“Where is Tonka?”

#94051 Nov 22, 2013
I know how, but you are really not worth the mouse clicks.
A thought wrote:
<quoted text>No, looks like you did though.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#94052 Nov 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as I can gleam, the big objection that many people have to Planned Parenthood is that they perform abortions. They do so much more, though, and I don't know where many low-income or uneducated people would get effective sex education without them or places like them.
I agree.

It frosts me that people who oppose abortion aren't at the same time enthusiastic supporting contraception.

Good , reliable and readily available contraception would obviate the need for a whole lot of abortions

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94053 Nov 22, 2013
RACE wrote:
Really? so uneducated people are absolved of personal responsibility? It's ok if they steal, or have more children than they can afford to feed?
Sorry, but if the uneducated cant understand that its not ok to steal, and they should not have children they cant feed, then maybe we should just incarcerate and sterilize the whole lot of them.
<quoted text>
No they are not absolved of responsibility if they know the difference between right and wrong. The reason we prosecute minors differently, though, is because they do not fully comprehend that difference and all of the consequences that result from their decisions, though.

I think that it is ridiculous to preach personal responsibility to a group of people who have not been educated on the consequences of their actions.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94055 Nov 22, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Personal responsibility also includes going to the Dr. or a clinic and to a drug store, and being able to afford safe and reliable birth control with hopefully an insurance plan that helps cover it. A concept lost on GOP.
Lost on some politicians, but not everyone. When you start placing blame on "them" instead of having open minded discussions, people get defensive and talks break down. That is what is happening on a national level and what I was hoping to avoid on here.

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#94058 Nov 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
And I've never heard a good reason FOR gay marriage. Other than "IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!"
I find it ridiculous to rewrite the laws of a sacred institution just to appease .05% of the population. And what about religious institutions? Now they're forced to accept and provide benefits for a practice their religion forbids. Is that fair to them?
You realize that (aside from incorrect percentages) those are the same sort of arguments used against the legalization of marriage between whites and people of colour? Your bigotry is just so obvious.
I think Mimi covered it well in her post.
You're wrong.
We're right.
Marriage equality is there, it is in almost a third of the states, it is on it's way in many others.
Top all of that off with a movement to have it legalized on the federal level, which will happen.
Nothing you can do to stop it.
So, plans for June? Going to try and get away for the first couple weeks of the month so that all those gay marriages won't burn out your eyes?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#94059 Nov 22, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Daniel Patrick Moynihan had his early public service as part of teh JFK administration.
Many of the programs you are reviling stared with his notions but mainly those developed under Johnson.
Still, if you are looking to blame Kennedy for something, he is a good place to start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Patrick_M...
US involvement in Vietnam , like most foreign affairs was a continuum, but the first advisers were sent in by Kennedy. It escalated under Johnson, certainly, but Kennedy put us in there after the French were kicked out at Dien Ben Phu in 1952.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Daniel Patrick Moynihan had his early public service as part of teh JFK administration.
Many of the programs you are reviling stared with his notions but mainly those developed under Johnson.
Still, if you are looking to blame Kennedy for something, he is a good place to start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Patrick_M...
US involvement in Vietnam , like most foreign affairs was a continuum, but the first advisers were sent in by Kennedy. It escalated under Johnson, certainly, but Kennedy put us in there after the French were kicked out at Dien Ben Phu in 1952.
As you said, it was a continuum, but Vietnam more so than any other U.S. war, except perhaps Korea was one which I donít think anyone could have foreseen in his time how it would play out. Yes, the French were kicked out, but the French lost the war militarily. We lost because we just got tired of fighting. We didnít lose militarily. We kicked a$s militarily. I donít think

Kennedy could have foreseen that it would escalate as it did. It was also at the height of the cold war and a lot of folks were afraid of the spread of communism and the domino affect (which actually happened in SE Asia after the fall of Vietnam). Turned out it didn't matter in the long run, but how could folks have known that in the 60s?

We really lost that war, because we werenít allowed to fight it. There were too many restraints. These restraints cost so many lives and prolonged the war, until we gave up. We gradually ramped up when if we were going to go in, we should have just gone in with overwhelming force at the outset. We also couldnít go into N. Vietnam. I understand we were concerned about China or the Soviets getting more involved, but Iíve often wondered why our strategy wasnít to use U.S. troops to defend S. Vietnam and let S. Vietnamese troops invade N. Vietnam. If we were going to fight the war with one arm and one hand tied behind our back, we should have never fought it. The whole way the war was prosecuted was dumb Ö aside from the issue of whether we should have been there in the first place.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#94060 Nov 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Promoting personal responsibility only works when citizens are educated and have the means to be self-sufficient.
Rewarding a lack of personal responsibility further encourages it. Do you really think folks who could not afford to have children would have them to the extent they do if the government did not step in, remove any consequence for this poor decision making, and shift the costs of this decision onto taxpayers?

When you have a system that liberals like, where there is assistance, but zero consequences, zero restriction, zero inconvenience to the poor decision maker, it further encourages poor decision making. Similarly, if every time I touched a hot oven, you got burned, instead of me, I'd probably not be nearly as adverse to touching a hot oven.

These are basic truths, that liberals completely ignore. They don't even care. They don't care about the consequences. They don't see or realize that the things they do, while humane, make the problem so much worse over time.

We need programs that help people, but not so much that they absolved from poor decision making. There is value in this, and the value isn't just in being mean or punishing folks for punishments sake.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94061 Nov 22, 2013
Dang. I might have to start drinking Coke instead of Pepsi products now. http://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news/441/You-Wo...

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#94062 Nov 22, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Seemingly random question that stems from a frustrating Facebook convo - where/how do you obtain your contraception? If it was not available through insurance, would reliable contraceptives be in your budget?
When it wasn't covered by insurance, it was priority in my budget, because a baby, or even a shmashmorshion, was certainly not. However, I totally support government funding for it and education and whatnot. Again, because it's cheaper than supporting kids.

Location hidden

#94063 Nov 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
This right here, this proves it. Gay supporters don't believe in the sanctity of marriage and wish to see it destroyed.
Secondly, there is no such issue as "gay rights." Gays are not denied a single constitutional right straights enjoy. The issue is "gay privilages ."
And third, religious institutions that EMPLOY people and provide benefits, may be FORCED to provide the same benefits for homosexual couples. This is a reality, and one of the major sticking points for those trying to fight gay marriage.
And finally, you hurl more petty insults at me, because you can't understand my views. How so very typical.
But I'm gonna drop it. I'm not gonna change your views any more than you're gonna change mine.
There is no "Sanctity" of marriage. Any that exists is all in your mind.
Marriage is legal even when there has been NO clergy involved, and no mention of a god in the ceremony. All that is required is getting the license and having someone officiate some sort of vows (again with no mention of a god) and the papers properly signed and filed with the courts.
There was no mention of gods or religion when B and I got married, the judge gave us his "script" and told us aside from a couple lines, we could edit as we wished. We took out all religious language and the judge married us. Legal marriage, no church involved in any way, shape or form.
I'm still not seeing any argument from you that doesn't distill down to "I don't like it, so it's wrong".
Oh, and any petty insults thrown your way you have coming. You say much worse, and you know it.
Besides, you ARE stupid and bigoted. Those are not insults, they are simply facts.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#94064 Nov 22, 2013
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>Rewarding a lack of personal responsibility further encourages it. Do you really think folks who could not afford to have children would have them to the extent they do if the government did not step in, remove any consequence for this poor decision making, and shift the costs of this decision onto taxpayers?

When you have a system that liberals like, where there is assistance, but zero consequences, zero restriction, zero inconvenience to the poor decision maker, it further encourages poor decision making. Similarly, if every time I touched a hot oven, you got burned, instead of me, I'd probably not be nearly as adverse to touching a hot oven.

These are basic truths, that liberals completely ignore. They don't even care. They don't care about the consequences. They don't see or realize that the things they do, while humane, make the problem so much worse over time.

We need programs that help people, but not so much that they absolved from poor decision making. There is value in this, and the value isn't just in being mean or punishing folks for punishments sake.
This is another issue. We need to stop rewarding lack of personal responsibility, while also educating people on the consequences of their decisions.

Location hidden

#94065 Nov 22, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely, it's called abstinence
LOL!!! It's not abstinence when nobody wants to have sex with you in the first place.

“Where is Tonka?”

#94066 Nov 22, 2013
Then please explain what you meant.

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>

It sure reads that you are saying uneducated people are not to be held accountable. And I am talking about uneducated adults, not teenagers.
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
No they are not absolved of responsibility if they know the difference between right and wrong. The reason we prosecute minors differently, though, is because they do not fully comprehend that difference and all of the consequences that result from their decisions, though.
I think that it is ridiculous to preach personal responsibility to a group of people who have not been educated on the consequences of their actions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 16 min Oxbridge Troll 1,782,545
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 59 min MPMMB 2,667
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr MPMMB 1,148
Change one letter in the word (Apr '12) 1 hr MPMMB 138
Booby DeNiro guarantees Donald's 2020 election ... 2 hr Guest 18
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr The real Rudy 2,872
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 3 hr The real Rudy 3,922

Chicago Jobs

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages