Since: Mar 09

Hollywood, FL

#93933 Nov 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG, I'm so hungry now!!!
Me too! Thanks, Matilda!
;)

When I was a kid/teenager, my best friend's little sister loved mashed potatoes and gravy more than anything. She'd ask for seconds or thirds of that after dessert (instead of extra dessert).

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#93934 Nov 21, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Me too! Thanks, Matilda!
;)
When I was a kid/teenager, my best friend's little sister loved mashed potatoes and gravy more than anything. She'd ask for seconds or thirds of that after dessert (instead of extra dessert).
Oh, yeah, I hated mashed potatoes, too. Unless they were drenched in butter, to my mother's dismay. Still not a huge fan of them, but gravy makes everything delicious.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#93935 Nov 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
My husband's family shares oplatek. I never heard of having them with honey. Interesting how different cultures modify traditions. My grandmother is Czech and they didn't eat it at all.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_wafe...
THat link is interesting! This is what they had about the Slovak version (my grandparents were from Slovakia):

Christmas wafers (oplátky) in Slovakia are round (usually oval) and embossed with various Christmas motifs. They are eaten with honey (and sometimes with garlic) at the beginning of Christmas Eve's dinner.

I think my grnadmother told us that the honey represents the sweetness of something - maybe baby Jesus? I'm not sure. But at least I now can spell it!!!:-)

What is your husband's heritage?

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#93936 Nov 21, 2013
My oldest came in for Thanksgiving. She has been home less than 12 hours and I want to throttle her.

She has decided we have too much stuff and she is going to clean things out and has announced that she will throw things out. There is stuff that needs to be tossed but I have spent the last half hour arguing whether she will throw out things that I had put in her room because it was convenient because she moved out 8 1/2 years ago.

Her line is that she will have to do it when w die anyway , something I am not planning on doing in the near future.

It would be great to have a hand weeding things out, but this is my house, not hers.

She leaves the Sunday after Thanksgiving. It is going to be a long 10 days.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#93937 Nov 21, 2013
Holy cow! Today's Prudie has some doozies.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prude...

Hollywood, FL

#93938 Nov 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
You can say that again!

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#93939 Nov 21, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy Jeebs, you really are that stupid.
I'm gonna ask again, and I'm gonna go slooowwwlllyyy....
I'm not asking if you're outraged about conceal carry, I'm asking if you're outraged about the fact of having to wait six months to get it. Just like with gay marriage, you think it should be right away. I'm asking if you think cc should be right away too?
Do you understand now, or do I need to use crayon?
I have been avoiding this discussion intentionally. However.

Gay marriage will not use any public resources other than the various county clerks who are asked to process marriage licenses.

Concealed carry will require not only issuing new licenses with a screening processes which requires staffing, there is also training for the cops as to what is permitted now and what is not. There is a public safety component in carrying of weapons that does not exist with gay marriage.

It is the legislatures choice about the effective date of a statute. Once a bill has been signed, there are rules in place for every statute about when it becomes effective unless the Legislature wrote something else into the act. It is not a matter of choosing to delay implementation.

The system which you so vigorously defend depends on the rule of law. If you don't like the rule, work within the system to change it. Gay marriage worked that way. Concealed carry worked that way. The delay was intentional. If you don't like it, campaign against your legislator who voted for it.

Delayed gratification is not discrimination. It c can be a sign of maturity

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#93940 Nov 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
My oldest came in for Thanksgiving. She has been home less than 12 hours and I want to throttle her.
She has decided we have too much stuff and she is going to clean things out and has announced that she will throw things out. There is stuff that needs to be tossed but I have spent the last half hour arguing whether she will throw out things that I had put in her room because it was convenient because she moved out 8 1/2 years ago.
Her line is that she will have to do it when w die anyway , something I am not planning on doing in the near future.
It would be great to have a hand weeding things out, but this is my house, not hers.
:-/ Maybe she needs something constructive to do. Got any leaves left she can rake?

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#93941 Nov 21, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Holy Jeebs, you really are that stupid.
I'm gonna ask again, and I'm gonna go slooowwwlllyyy....
I'm not asking if you're outraged about conceal carry, I'm asking if you're outraged about the fact of having to wait six months to get it. Just like with gay marriage, you think it should be right away. I'm asking if you think cc should be right away too?
Do you understand now, or do I need to use crayon?
I understood it, I already said I support it. What part of that do you not understand? WHY should I feel outraged about a policy I support?

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#93942 Nov 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Instead of making it a long 10 days, I suggest telling her it is your house and you'll keep what you want, toss what you want, when you want?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#93943 Nov 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
Wow. It's like she saved them up for a holiday spectacular!

The 17-year-old vegan needs to be told to go f herself with an organic eggplant. And the mom with the molester relatives--why would she even consider inviting them, with kids around?

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#93944 Nov 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Invite me over! I'll keep her occupied for ya!

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#93945 Nov 21, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>THat link is interesting! This is what they had about the Slovak version (my grandparents were from Slovakia):

Christmas wafers (oplátky) in Slovakia are round (usually oval) and embossed with various Christmas motifs. They are eaten with honey (and sometimes with garlic) at the beginning of Christmas Eve's dinner.

I think my grnadmother told us that the honey represents the sweetness of something - maybe baby Jesus? I'm not sure. But at least I now can spell it!!!:-)

What is your husband's heritage?
100% Polish. It was a big deal when we started dating that I'm not one bit Polish.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#93946 Nov 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:

Oh, good luck! She actually said that she will have to do it anyway when you die?!

Saint Petersburg, FL

#93947 Nov 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
100% Polish. It was a big deal when we started dating that I'm not one bit Polish.
Oh, the horrors!!!:-)

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#93948 Nov 21, 2013
NWmoon wrote:
<quoted text>I understood it, I already said I support it. What part of that do you not understand? WHY should I feel outraged about a policy I support?
THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M ASKING!!

Could someone else explain it to her, please? I've had it with stupid

Hollywood, FL

#93949 Nov 21, 2013
My connectivity is fixed! Topix looks normal again! Woohoo!

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#93950 Nov 21, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>Wow. It's like she saved them up for a holiday spectacular!

The 17-year-old vegan needs to be told to go f herself with an organic eggplant. And the mom with the molester relatives--why would she even consider inviting them, with kids around?
Exactly what I was thinking!

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#93951 Nov 21, 2013
PEllen wrote:
Tell her if she discards any of your property while you're alive, discarding stuff after you're dead won't be her concern as you'll leave it all to her sister

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#93952 Nov 21, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
A good friend and former co worker is Italian/Sicilian and married a Polish guy whose name lacks vowels. They have been married well over 40 years. F learned to cook Polish and speaks some now as well. She always made great stuff for the Christmas pot-luck

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Yeah 1,418,114
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min District 1 222,404
Word (Dec '08) 1 hr PEllen 6,695
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr PEllen 9,381
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 1 hr PEllen 3,033
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 1 hr PEllen 1,932
last post wins! (Apr '13) 2 hr They cannot kill ... 1,466

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages