Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
parents/grandparents of pre-schoolers: what do you think of this idea?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php...

would you consider buying one at a craft fair for your own or someone else's kid? I'm thinking of maybe doing a craft fair of quilted stuff, but this looks like a fun something else,...
I would have loved one of those for my kids, though I don't know how much I would have spent on it. They had a Curious George game like this that was their favorite for a couple of years, but this is better because it is car-friendly.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2013

RedheadwGlasses wrote:
Evening. back home fromt he hospital.

They drained 1.3 liters of fluid from my right lung today. Feeling weird, coughy.

Down 24 pounds in five weeks. Not the safest, healthiest way to lose weight (it's hard on your kidneys, among other things).

Hope to feel better tomorrow when my lung has expanded back to its normal size.
Glad you had a short stay this time.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

Judged:

cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop taking something I said and pulling into a completely different conversation/topic.
Sure....if you stop taking a dumb joke and pulling it into a boring statistic.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

Judged:

They are demolishing the house across the street from me. A big Cat is gobbing it up. The neighbors were very nice people and I was sorry to see them go but I suspect they were hoarders. In 25 years they were at our house for BBQ and dinner occasionally and never had anyone into their place.

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

PEllen wrote:
They are demolishing the house across the street from me. A big Cat is gobbing it up. The neighbors were very nice people and I was sorry to see them go but I suspect they were hoarders. In 25 years they were at our house for BBQ and dinner occasionally and never had anyone into their place.
I saw that hoarders show for the first time recently. I was amazed at how someone could live like that. Monumental psychological issues there.
Do you think that they may have sold it and you're getting a McMansion built?

A good friend is nowhere near that level but I recognize the same traits in her as I saw on that show.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

Judged:

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw that hoarders show for the first time recently. I was amazed at how someone could live like that. Monumental psychological issues there.
A good friend is nowhere near that level but I recognize the same traits in her as I saw on that show.
It seems to be ingrained with not dealing with loss properly. My mom, my husband and all my immediate in-laws have traits to varying degrees. My SIL's problem with it being documented here on Topix.:-/

I gave my MIL my mom's nice winter coat after she died and my MIL was really weirded out. I guess she was asking J repeatedly "Is Matilda okay with that? Doesn't she want to keep it?". It's a coat that doesn't fit me. My mom can't use it anymore. It's not like she died wearing it. Yes, I think of my mom when I see it, but it's not this traumatic thing.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
The neighbors have come out to watch. The lady next door has seen the drawings and says it is a nice house. The builder does a lot of work in town- it will be in line with the neighborhood

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

Judged:

If they really were hoarders, you should get over there, I am sure they left something valuable behind. You know, like sacks of silver dollars that were buried in the walls and stuff.
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
The neighbors have come out to watch. The lady next door has seen the drawings and says it is a nice house. The builder does a lot of work in town- it will be in line with the neighborhood
Windy Butt

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

Judged:

How do you like OBAMA BOO BOO NON HEALTH CARE so far?

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
So, what do you guys do for Thanksgiving? Any special traditions or recurring headaches?
Until I got married, I was expected to go to both my father's and mother's house. It was brutal. Then for awhile after Dickie and I got married, we went to a friend's house with a bunch of other friends, but then that friend decided I wasn't worth talking to anymore, so we started going to only one family's house to eat. It usually ended up being my mom's side of the family.

We hosted it a few years ago, the first Thanksgiving after my step-mom died, because I knew that everyone needed a "nana-neutral" space to celebrate in. It was brutal, but the turkey turned out OK (the gravy, not so much...) and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Now this year, Lulu asked if we could do Thanksgiving again, and I stupidly agreed. But it turns out that it's a good idea we are: my good step-sis is going through chemo and isn't up to it, my dad just had a major issue with his blood sugar and was hospitalized so he's not up to it, my aunt is getting older and is also ill with something that makes her tired quickly so she's not up to it. I'm starting to stress over it already.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm betting it's a tear-down, too, and not a hoarder house. Private people. Now they have everyone clamoring to know their business. Probably driving them nuts.:)

“Not a real reg”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

RACE wrote:
If they really were hoarders, you should get over there, I am sure they left something valuable behind. You know, like sacks of silver dollars that were buried in the walls and stuff.
<quoted text>
Something like this?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/98-000-ca...

You just never know.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>Until I got married, I was expected to go to both my father's and mother's house. It was brutal. Then for awhile after Dickie and I got married, we went to a friend's house with a bunch of other friends, but then that friend decided I wasn't worth talking to anymore, so we started going to only one family's house to eat. It usually ended up being my mom's side of the family.

We hosted it a few years ago, the first Thanksgiving after my step-mom died, because I knew that everyone needed a "nana-neutral" space to celebrate in. It was brutal, but the turkey turned out OK (the gravy, not so much...) and everyone seemed to have a good time.

Now this year, Lulu asked if we could do Thanksgiving again, and I stupidly agreed. But it turns out that it's a good idea we are: my good step-sis is going through chemo and isn't up to it, my dad just had a major issue with his blood sugar and was hospitalized so he's not up to it, my aunt is getting older and is also ill with something that makes her tired quickly so she's not up to it. I'm starting to stress over it already.
I wish you lots of luck and hope that at the end of the day, the love felt in your house overcomes the stress that you have leading up to it.

You're a really nice person to host Thanksgiving. I don't mind going to my husband's Aunt and Uncle's house that day, but I would much rather just spend the day with my husband and kids. I do have a large extended family (and my husband's is much larger), but because I grew up so far away from them I became accustomed to intimate family holidays. They were relatively low stress (though I did get a migraine every Christmas) and I miss them.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

OMG, just ate a portabella bacon cheeseburger on brioche from Wendy's. They offer single, double or triple. It was sooooo good, but it kills me to spend $5+ on a fast food burger.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

*portobella

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

I can assure you, I would NOT have returned that money.
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Something like this?
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/98-000-ca...
You just never know.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm betting it's a tear-down, too, and not a hoarder house. Private people. Now they have everyone clamoring to know their business. Probably driving them nuts.:)
Bob and J were really nice people. They never had any kids, have no close family and both were professionals in the STEM area. They owned a lot of rental houses in town . The have retired. This was their house. They put on an addition maybe 20 years ago but it was a hodgepodge old brick farmhouse with bits and pieces added on and the neighborhood tends to nicer looking houses.

The garage was wall to wall and ceiling to floor STUFF. Bob would lend us things occasionally;I feel sure that Home Depot referred people to him for hard to find items. We used to brow his raccoon and opossum traps. Habitat for Humanity sent a large truck to empty the garage.

I doubt there were any bags of money under the stairs. Regardless, based on the age of the house, any dust is probably chock full of asbestos. There was no demolition sale. I would have gone for the curiosity if nothing else.

I am in an older suburb. The houses that get built here generally are not cookie cutter, big just for the sake of being big, so whatever goes in , it will not be a McMansion. A couple blocks away there was a McMansion built with the soaring entrance way, open floor plan, high ceilings etc. It comes on and off the market frequently. Besides the property taxes, rumor is that the heating bills are killers.

My cats are being kept inside until this part is over.

We have been in this house 25 years. I was sorry to see Bob and J leave and it will be strange not to see the house out teh bedroom windows in the morning. Things change, though.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you lots of luck and hope that at the end of the day, the love felt in your house overcomes the stress that you have leading up to it.
You're a really nice person to host Thanksgiving. I don't mind going to my husband's Aunt and Uncle's house that day, but I would much rather just spend the day with my husband and kids. I do have a large extended family (and my husband's is much larger), but because I grew up so far away from them I became accustomed to intimate family holidays. They were relatively low stress (though I did get a migraine every Christmas) and I miss them.
You miss the migraine?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

83 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min RoxLo 1,080,118
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 5 min fearless 67,952
last post wins! (Apr '13) 9 min Hatti_Hollerand 295
Steve Wilkos : talk show host ? or simple mi... (Feb '08) 10 min Brink 355
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 11 min Hatti_Hollerand 462
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min SpaceBlues 45,796
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 29 min wojar 174,637
Amy 7-24 6 hr Mister Tonka 24
Abby 7-24 18 hr Pippa 42
•••
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••