Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#93447 Nov 12, 2013
*portobella

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#93448 Nov 12, 2013
I can assure you, I would NOT have returned that money.
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
Something like this?
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/98-000-ca...
You just never know.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#93449 Nov 12, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm betting it's a tear-down, too, and not a hoarder house. Private people. Now they have everyone clamoring to know their business. Probably driving them nuts.:)
Bob and J were really nice people. They never had any kids, have no close family and both were professionals in the STEM area. They owned a lot of rental houses in town . The have retired. This was their house. They put on an addition maybe 20 years ago but it was a hodgepodge old brick farmhouse with bits and pieces added on and the neighborhood tends to nicer looking houses.

The garage was wall to wall and ceiling to floor STUFF. Bob would lend us things occasionally;I feel sure that Home Depot referred people to him for hard to find items. We used to brow his raccoon and opossum traps. Habitat for Humanity sent a large truck to empty the garage.

I doubt there were any bags of money under the stairs. Regardless, based on the age of the house, any dust is probably chock full of asbestos. There was no demolition sale. I would have gone for the curiosity if nothing else.

I am in an older suburb. The houses that get built here generally are not cookie cutter, big just for the sake of being big, so whatever goes in , it will not be a McMansion. A couple blocks away there was a McMansion built with the soaring entrance way, open floor plan, high ceilings etc. It comes on and off the market frequently. Besides the property taxes, rumor is that the heating bills are killers.

My cats are being kept inside until this part is over.

We have been in this house 25 years. I was sorry to see Bob and J leave and it will be strange not to see the house out teh bedroom windows in the morning. Things change, though.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#93450 Nov 12, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you lots of luck and hope that at the end of the day, the love felt in your house overcomes the stress that you have leading up to it.
You're a really nice person to host Thanksgiving. I don't mind going to my husband's Aunt and Uncle's house that day, but I would much rather just spend the day with my husband and kids. I do have a large extended family (and my husband's is much larger), but because I grew up so far away from them I became accustomed to intimate family holidays. They were relatively low stress (though I did get a migraine every Christmas) and I miss them.
You miss the migraine?

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#93451 Nov 12, 2013
Squishy, remember the holiday is about the people, and being together... i first did thanksgiving after being married for about 6 months. it broke a near 30-year tradition after my grandfather died that summer.

since then, i've had various combinations of contentious people, drunk people, baked the bag of giblets in the turkey, had someone get sick after dinner, had MIL's jackass husband accuse me of food-poisoning MIL (yes, really; never mind that she admitted to making a choice for an incompatible food), and introduced a polish relative to the chaos that is an american family holiday.

PM me if you want any other pep talks or ideas for dishes.

or if you want to get together for coffee or a shot!

Saint Petersburg, FL

#93452 Nov 12, 2013
Actually looking forward to Thanksgiving this year! My daughter is with her Dad (YAY! She HATES Thanksgiving because it's boring for her with no other kids to play with, so all she does is complain) and going to go out for a Thanksgiving lunch with my parents at a restaurant.

We did this 2 years ago and it was GREAT! Dad got his turkey and mom and I got steaks. We were home by 2, then I sat outside and read my book and enjoyed the weather.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#93453 Nov 12, 2013
Just partook in my second Diwali work lunch. My team kind of snuck in to another floor's celebration >:-D It was fantastic.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#93454 Nov 12, 2013
Guess the roommates moved out just in time. Now my mother's soon-to-be ex needs a place to stay for a few days.

Joy

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#93455 Nov 12, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you lots of luck and hope that at the end of the day, the love felt in your house overcomes the stress that you have leading up to it.
You're a really nice person to host Thanksgiving. I don't mind going to my husband's Aunt and Uncle's house that day, but I would much rather just spend the day with my husband and kids. I do have a large extended family (and my husband's is much larger), but because I grew up so far away from them I became accustomed to intimate family holidays. They were relatively low stress (though I did get a migraine every Christmas) and I miss them.
I'm pretty sure Dickie would prefer a quite Thanksgiving dinner with just us (maybe his parents) but he is not used to the big family and the obligations that come with it.

I will breathe deeply and often, I promise, and try and remember to feel the love.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#93456 Nov 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Guess the roommates moved out just in time. Now my mother's soon-to-be ex needs a place to stay for a few days.
Joy
You know you can say "no", right?

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#93457 Nov 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure Dickie would prefer a quite Thanksgiving dinner with just us (maybe his parents) but he is not used to the big family and the obligations that come with it.
I will breathe deeply and often, I promise, and try and remember to feel the love.
That's how I am. My early Thanksgivings were ginormous extended family affairs and I dreaded them.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93458 Nov 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you guys do anything after dinner? We all play board or card games together. That's the part we all look forward to.

Maybe have Dickie be in charge of the after dinner entertainment to get him involved.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#93459 Nov 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Joy
Your mother's ex? Give him a list of hotels.

Evanston IL

#93460 Nov 12, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
Squishy, remember the holiday is about the people, and being together... i first did thanksgiving after being married for about 6 months. it broke a near 30-year tradition after my grandfather died that summer.
since then, i've had various combinations of contentious people, drunk people, baked the bag of giblets in the turkey, had someone get sick after dinner, had MIL's jackass husband accuse me of food-poisoning MIL (yes, really; never mind that she admitted to making a choice for an incompatible food), and introduced a polish relative to the chaos that is an american family holiday.
PM me if you want any other pep talks or ideas for dishes.
or if you want to get together for coffee or a shot!
Ha! I feel like there's no time for coffee - too much cleaning to do!

I was raised by a mother who was raised by a mother (and her mother too!) who had all the right dishes for every food, the correct linens, silver, china and crystal for 18 people and cooked ALL the food. We spent days before Thanksgiving (and/or Christmas) polishing silver and ironing damp linen tablecloths and napkins. And she would go ballistic if it wasn't perfect, so the stress level in the house was astronomical the week prior to the big event.

Unfortunately, some of this rubbed off on me. I'll never forget the first dinner party (and I use that term loosely) Dickie and I hosted for his muscian buddies. He had the gall to put the dip bowl with the wrong chip plate. I totally lost it and we ended up having a whisper fight in the pantry. He finally made me realize that these boys did not give a fig for what bowl went with what plate; they were just glad someone was cooking for them. And he was right, nobody noticed or cared if they had. So now we have a code word for when I start to get too nutty and stressed. He will just look at me and say "chip and dip, honey" and I will start laughing and get over myself.

Evanston IL

#93461 Nov 12, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you guys do anything after dinner? We all play board or card games together. That's the part we all look forward to.
Maybe have Dickie be in charge of the after dinner entertainment to get him involved.
Dickie is in charge of the cranberries and the drinks, and he does both quite well.

I'm going to put the kids in charge of the entertainment, since they're pretty much entertainment personified...

I do like the idea of an after-dinner game. Will have to ponder that.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#93462 Nov 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! I feel like there's no time for coffee - too much cleaning to do!
I was raised by a mother who was raised by a mother (and her mother too!) who had all the right dishes for every food, the correct linens, silver, china and crystal for 18 people and cooked ALL the food. We spent days before Thanksgiving (and/or Christmas) polishing silver and ironing damp linen tablecloths and napkins. And she would go ballistic if it wasn't perfect, so the stress level in the house was astronomical the week prior to the big event.
Unfortunately, some of this rubbed off on me. I'll never forget the first dinner party (and I use that term loosely) Dickie and I hosted for his muscian buddies. He had the gall to put the dip bowl with the wrong chip plate. I totally lost it and we ended up having a whisper fight in the pantry. He finally made me realize that these boys did not give a fig for what bowl went with what plate; they were just glad someone was cooking for them. And he was right, nobody noticed or cared if they had. So now we have a code word for when I start to get too nutty and stressed. He will just look at me and say "chip and dip, honey" and I will start laughing and get over myself.
That's awesome.
US TAXPAYERS

Oakland, CA

#93463 Nov 12, 2013
Obama Boo Boo, PLEASE STOP BULL SHITING US ALL THE TIME!

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#93465 Nov 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
I can assure you, I would NOT have returned that money.
<quoted text>
If I were to be really honest, I would be conflicted if I knew I could identify the owner. other then that, finders, keepers.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#93466 Nov 12, 2013
We have been going to my cousin's house for the last 6 years or so. My uncle is the last of the 12 sibs, 85 and is a sweetheart so all listen to the same stories for the 20th time. He did save me from drowning when I was a kid so I'm sure all are grateful for that. My son is close to age with his two youngest boys and they all have a great sense of humor. So we have a good time.

I do have to get a small turkey for home so I can have leftovers. And I miss my mother's stuffing so I make that.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Location hidden

#93467 Nov 12, 2013
Since we're on the subject of Thanksgiving -- what is your favorite dish that you look forward to every year.

Mine is the old fashioned bread stuffing. I like tons of stuff at Thanksgiving, but the thing we usually get only at Thanksgiving that I like is that stuffing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
It's the Gangs and Not the Police as Chicago's ... 15 min joey 2
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 31 min Earthling-1 49,176
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr johnplustwomore 1,153,489
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 71,000
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr Grau 68,881
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 5 hr Guru 181,755
Marcus Bachmann acts like a sissy 5 hr LOL 1
Chicago Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago