“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#93455 Nov 12, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish you lots of luck and hope that at the end of the day, the love felt in your house overcomes the stress that you have leading up to it.
You're a really nice person to host Thanksgiving. I don't mind going to my husband's Aunt and Uncle's house that day, but I would much rather just spend the day with my husband and kids. I do have a large extended family (and my husband's is much larger), but because I grew up so far away from them I became accustomed to intimate family holidays. They were relatively low stress (though I did get a migraine every Christmas) and I miss them.
I'm pretty sure Dickie would prefer a quite Thanksgiving dinner with just us (maybe his parents) but he is not used to the big family and the obligations that come with it.

I will breathe deeply and often, I promise, and try and remember to feel the love.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#93456 Nov 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Guess the roommates moved out just in time. Now my mother's soon-to-be ex needs a place to stay for a few days.
Joy
You know you can say "no", right?

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#93457 Nov 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure Dickie would prefer a quite Thanksgiving dinner with just us (maybe his parents) but he is not used to the big family and the obligations that come with it.
I will breathe deeply and often, I promise, and try and remember to feel the love.
That's how I am. My early Thanksgivings were ginormous extended family affairs and I dreaded them.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93458 Nov 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure Dickie would prefer a quite Thanksgiving dinner with just us (maybe his parents) but he is not used to the big family and the obligations that come with it.
I will breathe deeply and often, I promise, and try and remember to feel the love.
Do you guys do anything after dinner? We all play board or card games together. That's the part we all look forward to.

Maybe have Dickie be in charge of the after dinner entertainment to get him involved.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93459 Nov 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Guess the roommates moved out just in time. Now my mother's soon-to-be ex needs a place to stay for a few days.
Joy
Your mother's ex? Give him a list of hotels.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#93460 Nov 12, 2013
Aisle Sitter wrote:
Squishy, remember the holiday is about the people, and being together... i first did thanksgiving after being married for about 6 months. it broke a near 30-year tradition after my grandfather died that summer.
since then, i've had various combinations of contentious people, drunk people, baked the bag of giblets in the turkey, had someone get sick after dinner, had MIL's jackass husband accuse me of food-poisoning MIL (yes, really; never mind that she admitted to making a choice for an incompatible food), and introduced a polish relative to the chaos that is an american family holiday.
PM me if you want any other pep talks or ideas for dishes.
or if you want to get together for coffee or a shot!
Ha! I feel like there's no time for coffee - too much cleaning to do!

I was raised by a mother who was raised by a mother (and her mother too!) who had all the right dishes for every food, the correct linens, silver, china and crystal for 18 people and cooked ALL the food. We spent days before Thanksgiving (and/or Christmas) polishing silver and ironing damp linen tablecloths and napkins. And she would go ballistic if it wasn't perfect, so the stress level in the house was astronomical the week prior to the big event.

Unfortunately, some of this rubbed off on me. I'll never forget the first dinner party (and I use that term loosely) Dickie and I hosted for his muscian buddies. He had the gall to put the dip bowl with the wrong chip plate. I totally lost it and we ended up having a whisper fight in the pantry. He finally made me realize that these boys did not give a fig for what bowl went with what plate; they were just glad someone was cooking for them. And he was right, nobody noticed or cared if they had. So now we have a code word for when I start to get too nutty and stressed. He will just look at me and say "chip and dip, honey" and I will start laughing and get over myself.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#93461 Nov 12, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you guys do anything after dinner? We all play board or card games together. That's the part we all look forward to.
Maybe have Dickie be in charge of the after dinner entertainment to get him involved.
Dickie is in charge of the cranberries and the drinks, and he does both quite well.

I'm going to put the kids in charge of the entertainment, since they're pretty much entertainment personified...

I do like the idea of an after-dinner game. Will have to ponder that.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93462 Nov 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! I feel like there's no time for coffee - too much cleaning to do!
I was raised by a mother who was raised by a mother (and her mother too!) who had all the right dishes for every food, the correct linens, silver, china and crystal for 18 people and cooked ALL the food. We spent days before Thanksgiving (and/or Christmas) polishing silver and ironing damp linen tablecloths and napkins. And she would go ballistic if it wasn't perfect, so the stress level in the house was astronomical the week prior to the big event.
Unfortunately, some of this rubbed off on me. I'll never forget the first dinner party (and I use that term loosely) Dickie and I hosted for his muscian buddies. He had the gall to put the dip bowl with the wrong chip plate. I totally lost it and we ended up having a whisper fight in the pantry. He finally made me realize that these boys did not give a fig for what bowl went with what plate; they were just glad someone was cooking for them. And he was right, nobody noticed or cared if they had. So now we have a code word for when I start to get too nutty and stressed. He will just look at me and say "chip and dip, honey" and I will start laughing and get over myself.
That's awesome.
US TAXPAYERS

Oakland, CA

#93463 Nov 12, 2013
Obama Boo Boo, PLEASE STOP BULL SHITING US ALL THE TIME!

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#93465 Nov 12, 2013
RACE wrote:
I can assure you, I would NOT have returned that money.
<quoted text>
If I were to be really honest, I would be conflicted if I knew I could identify the owner. other then that, finders, keepers.

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#93466 Nov 12, 2013
We have been going to my cousin's house for the last 6 years or so. My uncle is the last of the 12 sibs, 85 and is a sweetheart so all listen to the same stories for the 20th time. He did save me from drowning when I was a kid so I'm sure all are grateful for that. My son is close to age with his two youngest boys and they all have a great sense of humor. So we have a good time.

I do have to get a small turkey for home so I can have leftovers. And I miss my mother's stuffing so I make that.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93467 Nov 12, 2013
Since we're on the subject of Thanksgiving -- what is your favorite dish that you look forward to every year.

Mine is the old fashioned bread stuffing. I like tons of stuff at Thanksgiving, but the thing we usually get only at Thanksgiving that I like is that stuffing.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#93468 Nov 12, 2013
No, it is not. Stealing is the taking of someone elses property. If they bought it from good will the owner would be untraceable. just a case of the original owner being SOL
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>That is the same as stealing!

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#93469 Nov 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! I feel like there's no time for coffee - too much cleaning to do!
I was raised by a mother who was raised by a mother (and her mother too!) who had all the right dishes for every food, the correct linens, silver, china and crystal for 18 people and cooked ALL the food. We spent days before Thanksgiving (and/or Christmas) polishing silver and ironing damp linen tablecloths and napkins. And she would go ballistic if it wasn't perfect, so the stress level in the house was astronomical the week prior to the big event.
Unfortunately, some of this rubbed off on me. I'll never forget the first dinner party (and I use that term loosely) Dickie and I hosted for his muscian buddies. He had the gall to put the dip bowl with the wrong chip plate. I totally lost it and we ended up having a whisper fight in the pantry. He finally made me realize that these boys did not give a fig for what bowl went with what plate; they were just glad someone was cooking for them. And he was right, nobody noticed or cared if they had. So now we have a code word for when I start to get too nutty and stressed. He will just look at me and say "chip and dip, honey" and I will start laughing and get over myself.
My lineage is similar, but more about the good china getting trotted out for it's annual breath of air... we would do the full production at my grandparents house - shop, bring it over, cook it there, try to keep gramma out of hte kitchen, move grampa to the table, eat, wash dishes & go home.

i married into a family where the production dinners were for 20+, on foam plates & my MIL is, um, "creative" with her cooking (like not having brandy for a cherry cookie she was trying so she put "keteela" in it, you know, Don Julio?). so the fact that i have matching china & flatware for 12 and having traditionally-inspired food that works is something. i may use the silver my gramma had this year, but mostly b/c it will be a smaller group, and include friends of hte family who would actually appreciate it. I've also learned what corners to clean and what to leave be. i have some linen napkins now, but i think i'll use the cotton ones i've made that are seasonal instead (can't trust my dad not to stain them any more...).

the offer still stands... coffee and/or a shot, before or after turkey day!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93470 Nov 12, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were to be really honest, I would be conflicted if I knew I could identify the owner. other then that, finders, keepers.
If I new the identity of the owner and new that money to be there's -- I'd be conflicted but I'd return it. I'd have to.

If the identity of the owner of the desk was unknown, I would have no problem keeping the money.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93471 Nov 12, 2013
There are times I wish we could edit posts here and had a "Like" button.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#93472 Nov 12, 2013
Oh, and this year i won't have house guests, so i'll have to actually show my face before dinner. last year, i had 2 wonderful little entertainers hanging around, so i doubt anyone missed me...

but, the flip side to that is that i get to travel for Christmas this year...

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

#93474 Nov 12, 2013
Thanksgiving: I'm probably going to have the first traditional one in I don't know how many years. Me and D, a meal we're actually going to cook ourselves (including whatever the smallest possible turkey is), and football. After how busy I've been at work (and will be through year end), a long weekend of relaxation sounds great.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#93475 Nov 12, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
Guess the roommates moved out just in time. Now my mother's soon-to-be ex needs a place to stay for a few days.
Joy
Dog, of all the goofy roommate arrangements you have had, that one takes the cake.

Does your mom know? How does she feel about this?

Is he solvent enough to pay some rent or would that be stealing food from your mom's mouth?

Somewhere in all this there is a sitcom. I vote each of the Regs outline one week's show. We can call it, "Livin' in the Dog's House".

Any nominations for casting?

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#93476 Nov 12, 2013
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! I feel like there's no time for coffee - too much cleaning to do!
I was raised by a mother who was raised by a mother (and her mother too!) who had all the right dishes for every food, the correct linens, silver, china and crystal for 18 people and cooked ALL the food. We spent days before Thanksgiving (and/or Christmas) polishing silver and ironing damp linen tablecloths and napkins. And she would go ballistic if it wasn't perfect, so the stress level in the house was astronomical the week prior to the big event.
Unfortunately, some of this rubbed off on me. I'll never forget the first dinner party (and I use that term loosely) Dickie and I hosted for his muscian buddies. He had the gall to put the dip bowl with the wrong chip plate. I totally lost it and we ended up having a whisper fight in the pantry. He finally made me realize that these boys did not give a fig for what bowl went with what plate; they were just glad someone was cooking for them. And he was right, nobody noticed or cared if they had. So now we have a code word for when I start to get too nutty and stressed. He will just look at me and say "chip and dip, honey" and I will start laughing and get over myself.
Proposition:
My sister is trying to rope me int a 3K/5K walk/run near you on T-day morning... in costumes.

Interested? with or without costume? With or without girls?

Also, my assignment is to do the pumpkin pies for our family. I have the pumpkin on the kitchen table. My SIL's sister and family will not be attending ( our family drama). May I offer a pie to the DickieSquishy table?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min USAsince1680 1,219,960
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 14 min OzRitz 52,836
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 23 min Scrutiny 187,290
News Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 33 min Cold Front 69,679
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 42 min Whiny1 5,904
Ask Amy 4-25-15 2 hr Kuuipo 2
Word (Dec '08) 5 hr Wolverine33 5,201
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]