Topix Chitown Regulars
dahgts

Chicago Heights, IL

#93342 Nov 9, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you. Walmart is a great store that provides quality products and a low price and employs many people.
Who needs THAT!?!
It's called quality of life in one's neighborhood, housing values and most importantly, community self determination. isn't that what you're always ranting about? Less govt. control.
Walmart will always find a place to do business. Doesn't have to be on every street corner.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Braidwood, IL

#93343 Nov 9, 2013
PEllen wrote:
McD agreed to minimal signage, no drive-through
Jeez, why stop there? Why not put snipers on the roof to pick people off as they try to get in??
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#93345 Nov 9, 2013
Home from Minneapolis!
It was cold, a terrible bitter cold that cut through me painfully. It was horrible. Wind made it worse. And no snow to look pretty, boo.

The city was okay; not as busy (for a downtown metropolis) as I imagined. Pretty non-descript I would say. Not as weird as Portland, not as fun as Chicago.
The skyway was nice but took awhile.
The buses were okay-I kept missing my stop since I didn't know to pull the cord and they don't stop always or say the next stop.
Metro blue line was perfect.

Saw the cherry spoon, the Mary Tyler Moore statue, Mall of America...a decent trip with a great conference, but as usual--there is no place like (warm) home!

And, I sat by a CIO who gave me his card and told me I could be a proposal writer when I got my PhD finished....said there is good money to be made!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#93346 Nov 9, 2013
Miss you, baby! Swear I'm gonna call soon. But, yanno...

Roommates moved out. Legal and financial issues because of that ... mother is divorcing husband... now he's in the hospital for heart issues... his brother just died... car needs work... working on getting a job in SC... online friend thinks she's dying...

I tells ya, one thing after another!

But you are, and always will be, more beautiful than a sunset over the snow covered rocky mountains in the spring time!

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#93347 Nov 9, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
Home from Minneapolis!
It was cold, a terrible bitter cold that cut through me painfully. It was horrible. Wind made it worse. And no snow to look pretty, boo.

The city was okay; not as busy (for a downtown metropolis) as I imagined. Pretty non-descript I would say. Not as weird as Portland, not as fun as Chicago.
The skyway was nice but took awhile.
The buses were okay-I kept missing my stop since I didn't know to pull the cord and they don't stop always or say the next stop.
Metro blue line was perfect.

Saw the cherry spoon, the Mary Tyler Moore statue, Mall of America...a decent trip with a great conference, but as usual--there is no place like (warm) home!

And, I sat by a CIO who gave me his card and told me I could be a proposal writer when I got my PhD finished....said there is good money to be made!
Glad it went well. Hope you have finished thawing out!

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#93348 Nov 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Do you actually know, that the deficit spending was from the original Mayor Daley's reign? I seem to recall him striking so much fear in unions and others, that Chicago ran much like a well oiled machine....no strikes...i don't remember anything gumming up the works, between 1960-1970....1968 Democratic convention protests were influenced by outside instigators and the Vietnam War.....We would need to know the chronology of the debt's building....
Daley I bought off the unions with sweetheart contracts especially the CTA union.

The 1968 convention was more than just the Grant Park protesters.

There was a faction of Democrats which tied to oust Daley and the regular party from its convention seats. There is a famous "silent" shot of Daley cursing out one of the convention speakers on the convention floor.http://en.wikipedia.org/ wiki/1968_Democratic_National_ Convention

The major issue on the streets was the police response to the demonstrators. I believe the poli sci types have labeled it a police riot- the inability to control the cops is a political issue that goes back to Daley.

FYI, I wasn't at the riot, but I was in Grant Park and also up on Rush St near the Armory which was the base for the National Guards and the conventioneers hotels.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#93349 Nov 9, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Jeez, why stop there? Why not put snipers on the roof to pick people off as they try to get in??
That was real close to what happened on May 20, 1988 when Laurie Dann shot up the grade school at Hubbard Woods about a block away.

Next smart ass comment?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#93350 Nov 10, 2013
dahgts wrote:
<quoted text>
They're pretty much the driving force both ways. Commodity trading, refinery issues, etc. Except for taxes the govt. has less responsibility for prices, I believe. Now, if you want to talk about sugar and milk, for example, gov. is involved in price control.
...Yeah, i just remember well, how a couple years ago.....we saw millions of posts blaming this administration for fuel prices....but that same crowd recoils, if you also thank the President when prices go down....We both know that a President has very little to nothing to do with oil and gas prices....

Location hidden

#93351 Nov 10, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Unemployment rate: 7.3%
Black unemployment rate: 13.1%
Thank you, mister president
Never play economic trends....as you are woefully on the wrong side....but, don't let me keep you from a popular far right pastime....Rooting againest the economic recovery of the United States.....

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#93352 Nov 10, 2013
Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TMRA59GP6N...

Abby

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T4SK1EBM7K...

Now if I get meanie judges for this, obviously there is a psychopath in our midst.

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#93353 Nov 10, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Never play economic trends....as you are woefully on the wrong side....but, don't let me keep you from a popular far right pastime....Rooting againest the economic recovery of the United States.....
Right, I'm well aware of that theory. It's the Republicans that are preventing economic recovery because they don't want a Democratic president to be successful.

You people really are narrow-sighted.

It's the Republican's fault.

The Republicans....

Those dam Republicans....

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#93354 Nov 10, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
That was real close to what happened on May 20, 1988 when Laurie Dann shot up the grade school at Hubbard Woods about a block away.
Next smart ass comment?
Because NO business of any kind should be allowed to operate in ANY neighborhood!!

Would you listen to yourself?
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#93355 Nov 10, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Never play economic trends....as you are woefully on the wrong side....but, don't let me keep you from a popular far right pastime....Rooting againest the economic recovery of the United States.....
I think he's that Al Cada guy that hates the US....
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

#93356 Nov 10, 2013
dahgts wrote:
Amy
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/TMRA59GP6N...
Abby
http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T4SK1EBM7K...
Now if I get meanie judges for this, obviously there is a psychopath in our midst.
I read about 1/25 people are....most just don't become killers is all.
A noted observer

Hoffman Estates, IL

#93357 Nov 10, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>...Yeah, i just remember well, how a couple years ago.....we saw millions of posts blaming this administration for fuel prices....but that same crowd recoils, if you also thank the President when prices go down....We both know that a President has very little to nothing to do with oil and gas prices....
In '08 when gas was hitting $4 and even $5 in some parts of the country, I think it had everything to do with the election. Folks here and in the real world were blaming Obama. McCain/Palin were screaming "DRILL, BABY, DRILL!!!" as if they were the only one's *willing* to do so. Barack Obama would take away our gasoline, ON HIS WAY....to taking our guns....

Then, in January of '09, with Bush a couple of weeks from leaving office, gas went down to a couple of bucks a gallon. Bush's parting gift to the country maybe? It's all the 'tards remember though. Gas was sky high with the threat of Obama, really cheap when Bush left....The bar was set low.

The oil companies had a free play, an excuse to make hundreds of billions based on fear of a black president. Who could blame them when there was a convenient excuse?

“Not a real reg”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#93358 Nov 10, 2013
cheluzal wrote:
<quoted text>
I read about 1/25 people are....most just don't become killers is all.
Sounds like there are more of them to worry about then someone carrying on about a few gays getting married.

Location hidden

#93359 Nov 10, 2013
A noted observer wrote:
<quoted text>In '08 when gas was hitting $4 and even $5 in some parts of the country, I think it had everything to do with the election. Folks here and in the real world were blaming Obama. McCain/Palin were screaming "DRILL, BABY, DRILL!!!" as if they were the only one's *willing* to do so. Barack Obama would take away our gasoline, ON HIS WAY....to taking our guns....
Then, in January of '09, with Bush a couple of weeks from leaving office, gas went down to a couple of bucks a gallon. Bush's parting gift to the country maybe? It's all the 'tards remember though. Gas was sky high with the threat of Obama, really cheap when Bush left....The bar was set low.
The oil companies had a free play, an excuse to make hundreds of billions based on fear of a black president. Who could blame them when there was a convenient excuse?
...I'm still trying to rationalize, how Bush/Cheney could open up our taxpayer owned, federal Bureau of Land Management.....thousands of pristine acres.....signed over to Big Oil, for them to frack(drill) for natural gas.....a process that injects harmful chemicals into our underground fresh water table.......

Location hidden

#93360 Nov 10, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, I'm well aware of that theory. It's the Republicans that are preventing economic recovery because they don't want a Democratic president to be successful.
You people really are narrow-sighted.
It's the Republican's fault.
The Republicans....
Those dam Republicans....
...Theory?.....Are you kidding?....For three solid years, House republican's blocked every Democratic Jobs Bill put forward....and all the while, shouting, "When is Obama gonna produce the JOBS?"......You might pay closer attention to what actually goes on in Washington, and less on what Fox tell's you to think......

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#93361 Nov 10, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
.....a process that injects harmful chemicals into our underground fresh water table.......
And don't forget, causes earthquakes in Japan!

Who needs natural gas anyway?! I cook my food and heat my home with wind energy!

“reign in blood”

Braidwood, IL

#93362 Nov 10, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
House republican's blocked every Democratic Jobs Bill put forward...
Yeah, they can block job bills, but not Obamacare.

Will you get a clue?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Cheech the Conser... 1,581,652
TRUTH will be revealed, someday, maybe. 34 min Muslims Did IT 42
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Agents of Corruption 63,946
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 hr ImPeach 242,537
Chicago is much worse since Obama was elected 6 hr check please 2
Only Mother Fu__ers would destroy our statues. 6 hr USA is great 1
What's the real story about Charlottsville? 6 hr tax time 21

Chicago Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Chicago Mortgages