“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#93223 Nov 6, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. What a colossal a$$ that guy is.
That was my initial reaction, but ever time I read a new article, the story twists a bit. I've seen quotes from current and former team mates, black and white, all supporting him. Pouncey, Ricky Williams, and more saying they don't consider him racist and feel him dropping the N-word doesn't mean jack. One article said some of the black team mates considered him an "honorary black guy"(not sure what the actual quote was).

The latest from um-named sources: COACHES gave him the order for the proverbial "code red". They wanted Incognito to toughen him up and he was just following orders.

Basically, I'm seeing very few players who support Martin. Most of the outrage is from us outside the NFL locker rooms.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#93224 Nov 6, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. What a colossal a$$ that guy is.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/ 0ap2000000277722/article/hartl ine-jonathan-martin-laughed-ab out-voice-mail

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#93225 Nov 6, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Anyone following the Richie Incognito saga?
Is it a saga. he is an a*shole and has been called on it. He will keep talking and will dig himself deeper.
I am reminded of the crew in Slapshot

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#93226 Nov 6, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>That was my initial reaction, but ever time I read a new article, the story twists a bit. I've seen quotes from current and former team mates, black and white, all supporting him. Pouncey, Ricky Williams, and more saying they don't consider him racist and feel him dropping the N-word doesn't mean jack. One article said some of the black team mates considered him an "honorary black guy"(not sure what the actual quote was).
The latest from um-named sources: COACHES gave him the order for the proverbial "code red". They wanted Incognito to toughen him up and he was just following orders.
Basically, I'm seeing very few players who support Martin. Most of the outrage is from us outside the NFL locker rooms.
Is this the same NFL that seems to have wimped out when New Orleans had a hit list to specifically injure other players?

Is this the freedom all my friends on the right are so concerned we not lose and we are sending guys to Iraq and Afghaniston to fight for?

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#93227 Nov 6, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this the same NFL that seems to have wimped out when New Orleans had a hit list to specifically injure other players?
Is this the freedom all my friends on the right are so concerned we not lose and we are sending guys to Iraq and Afghaniston to fight for?
I'm just recounting what I have read. And what I have read is players on the Dolphins saying he's getting unfairly portrayed and is a good guy, players on his and other teams who say use of the N-word is not indicative of him being a racist, players (specifically team mate Pouncey) saying Martin himself had on multiple occasions questioned whether or not he was cut out for the NFL. Understandably, we, who do not live in the world of big time football, see the initial facts released, and we make judgments based on how that would play out in the world we live in. But those guys don't live in the same world. You can't compare appropriate behavior in a regular office environment to appropriate behavior in their world. A fight breaks out among co-workers in your office, someone's likely getting fired. In football? You break up the fight, and continue with what you were doing. The rules are different. The culture is different.

I can't wait to see the next twist to the story, but hearing such a different perspective almost universally from the viewpoint of NFL players themselves is eye opening.

In a court of law, you are entitled to a jury of your peers. In this instance, I'm feeling like we really are not his peers. His peers are the other players, most of whom (so far) support him.
redheadwglasses

Saint Paul, MN

#93228 Nov 6, 2013
That's a fair assessment Tonka, and I can get behind that.

Busy day today. Out the door at 10 and headed to a friend's house in Mpls, spent the day with three women I've known for over 25 years. We played euchre, got thai food for take-out to appease R and T, who can't get Thai in their town in Iowa. It was wonderful.

I got home arond 4:45 and I'm freakin exhausted. Forced myself with caffeine to stay up this late so I can get back on a normal sleep schedule.

At first, I just slept when i was tired and kept weird hours, but that conflicted when I tried to make and keep plans with people who are on a normal work/sleep schedule.

I am almost done with season 2 of Breaking Bad (just started watching on Saturday) and I am loving it. Sometimes I have to leave the room and just listen b/c it's too creepy (like when they are shooting heroin, that creeps me out, which then was topped by Walt watching his partner's girlfriend choking to death in her sleep on her own vomit (heroin), and letting her die).

The show is worth the hype. The acting, directing, and writing are out of this world. The side characters are deep, both in their flaws and their humanity. Just when you think someone (like BIL) is a doosh, he does the stand-up thing like you'd expect from a good brother-in-law.

GOod stuff. exhaustd. Bed soon.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#93229 Nov 6, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>I'm just recounting what I have read. And what I have read is players on the Dolphins saying he's getting unfairly portrayed and is a good guy, players on his and other teams who say use of the N-word is not indicative of him being a racist, players (specifically team mate Pouncey) saying Martin himself had on multiple occasions questioned whether or not he was cut out for the NFL. Understandably, we, who do not live in the world of big time football, see the initial facts released, and we make judgments based on how that would play out in the world we live in. But those guys don't live in the same world. You can't compare appropriate behavior in a regular office environment to appropriate behavior in their world. A fight breaks out among co-workers in your office, someone's likely getting fired. In football? You break up the fight, and continue with what you were doing. The rules are different. The culture is different.
I can't wait to see the next twist to the story, but hearing such a different perspective almost universally from the viewpoint of NFL players themselves is eye opening.
In a court of law, you are entitled to a jury of your peers. In this instance, I'm feeling like we really are not his peers. His peers are the other players, most of whom (so far) support him.
I have a problem with that because of the deification of major league sports. I also have a problem with saying that a particular closed group of people can operate under different rules of conduct. We wind up with guys who don't know the boundaries or think the rules don't pertain to them like Michael Vick or the MLB/bike racing guys who thought they could getaway with performance enhancing drugs or the guys who get sexually aggressive because they think they are entitled. Or the New Orleans bounty situation which as I understand it was offered by t management but accepted and carried out by the players.

I disagree with a win at all costs mindset, or that a guy needs to be toughed up. The large amounts of money involved don't justify the actions--IMNSHO.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#93230 Nov 7, 2013

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#93231 Nov 7, 2013
Amy's out there somewhere

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#93232 Nov 7, 2013

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#93233 Nov 7, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
Richie has a history of bad behavior and being a bully....but, from what i see the Dolphin's coaches and staff really handled their team chemistry horribly....Tannehill is screwed and has already been sacked a league leading 35 times....Run, Ryan Runnnn!!!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#93234 Nov 7, 2013
I have not seen what the racist texts were, but for a professional football player to walk off on his team and enter therapy for emotional distress is just unbelievable. Where is his mommy to advocate for him?
Mister Tonka wrote:

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#93235 Nov 7, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> Richie has a history of bad behavior and being a bully....but, from what i see the Dolphin's coaches and staff really handled their team chemistry horribly....Tannehill is screwed and has already been sacked a league leading 35 times....Run, Ryan Runnnn!!!
Here's an article from former team mate.

A look inside the locker room.
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/richie-incognit...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#93236 Nov 7, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's an article from former team mate.
A look inside the locker room.
http://mmqb.si.com/2013/11/07/richie-incognit...
At the very beginning, Murtha prefaces it by saying he is Incognito's friend.....I've heard that Martin was forced to pay for many other things, including a $15,000 trip, he was'nt even on......Local news, down here has a story that Incognito even took a teamates credit card and charged jetski's for himself.....lotta sh*t getting thrown around on this....most fascinating is watching the NFL Channel's coverage/non-coverage of this event...lol...Corporate Greed alway's comes first, eh?.....

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93237 Nov 7, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a problem with that because of the deification of major league sports. I also have a problem with saying that a particular closed group of people can operate under different rules of conduct. We wind up with guys who don't know the boundaries or think the rules don't pertain to them like Michael Vick or the MLB/bike racing guys who thought they could getaway with performance enhancing drugs or the guys who get sexually aggressive because they think they are entitled. Or the New Orleans bounty situation which as I understand it was offered by t management but accepted and carried out by the players.
I disagree with a win at all costs mindset, or that a guy needs to be toughed up. The large amounts of money involved don't justify the actions--IMNSHO.
Word.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93238 Nov 7, 2013
RACE wrote:
I have not seen what the racist texts were, but for a professional football player to walk off on his team and enter therapy for emotional distress is just unbelievable. Where is his mommy to advocate for him?
<quoted text>
Seriously? This is the kind of opinion about seeking psychological help that makes people not go for help. Amazing. People then wonder why schools, theatres and shopping malls get shot up.

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#93239 Nov 7, 2013
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football...

Dolphins GM reportedly suggested Martin punch Incognito if he had a problem

“I Am Mine”

Location hidden

#93240 Nov 7, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously? This is the kind of opinion about seeking psychological help that makes people not go for help. Amazing. People then wonder why schools, theatres and shopping malls get shot up.
professional sports are not for the thin skinned.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#93241 Nov 7, 2013
redheadwglasses wrote:
That's a fair assessment Tonka, and I can get behind that.
Busy day today. Out the door at 10 and headed to a friend's house in Mpls, spent the day with three women I've known for over 25 years. We played euchre, got thai food for take-out to appease R and T, who can't get Thai in their town in Iowa. It was wonderful.
I got home arond 4:45 and I'm freakin exhausted. Forced myself with caffeine to stay up this late so I can get back on a normal sleep schedule.
At first, I just slept when i was tired and kept weird hours, but that conflicted when I tried to make and keep plans with people who are on a normal work/sleep schedule.
I am almost done with season 2 of Breaking Bad (just started watching on Saturday) and I am loving it. Sometimes I have to leave the room and just listen b/c it's too creepy (like when they are shooting heroin, that creeps me out, which then was topped by Walt watching his partner's girlfriend choking to death in her sleep on her own vomit (heroin), and letting her die).
The show is worth the hype. The acting, directing, and writing are out of this world. The side characters are deep, both in their flaws and their humanity. Just when you think someone (like BIL) is a doosh, he does the stand-up thing like you'd expect from a good brother-in-law.
GOod stuff. exhaustd. Bed soon.
My bro kept telling me to watch it. I said, I don't want to watch a show about meth. Eventually, I watched the fist episode on netflix. I then proceeded to immediately watch the next 8 or so episodes. Both my wife and I were hooked after episode 1.

Best show evah! Hands down!

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#93242 Nov 7, 2013
Were talking about a football player, not the school drama queen.
He has spent years in a culture that should have toughened him up, and not made him such a mamby-pamby over being called names.
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Edmond Pulpo 181,698
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min red and right 1,152,984
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 21 min D_e_ath__to__tyrants 70,986
Deat Abby 12-16 27 min Mister Tonka 51
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 1 hr TRD 68,875
sexting on whatsapp 2 hr cute_bwoy 1
14-Year-Old Boy Shot In Head On Far South Side 3 hr Taint Shield 4
Chicago Dating
Find my Match

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Chicago News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Chicago

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]