Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
http://www.valleynewslive.com/ story/23823811/woman-handing-o ut-letters-not-halloween-candy ?clienttype=generic&smartd evicecgbypass
Uppity woman denies fat kids candy on Halloween. I'm predicting a lot of eggs and toilet paper on her house, and possibly assault charges when she gets punched in the face.
Seriously, I feel bad for fat kids, just like the next person, but they're not my kids.
I really hope this is a joke.

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
When I lived in Colorado, it rained every Halloween. I remember going trick or treating with my little brother who was dressed as a Haunted House. His arms stuck out through holes in the cardboard box that made up his costume and he couldn't bring them in. One lady felt so badly for him because his fingertips were getting cold in the rain that she put socks on his hands.
I am hoping that the weather cooperates here tomorrow. 2 years ago we had a snowstorm and last year we still had no power due to Hurricane Sandy.
Oh, me too. I remember taking my kid around on Halloween in the snow when he was 2. Not fun. On the other hand, one beautiful Halloween I took him when he was 8 or 9 around the neighborhood and I wore rollerblades and I was dressed like a witch. I had a lot of fun that year.

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be tempted to punch her. And send her the bill for my kid's therapy.
Not allowing a kid to trick or treat and eat some candy ONE DAY A YEAR is not going to change their weight.
Exactly. If you can't enjoy the holiday for what it is, turn off your lights and don't answer the door. No need to pass judgment.

People around here get bitchy when they see a van load of kids get dropped off on the corner to trick-or-treat "They're not neighborhood kids..." Yeah, well, maybe trick-or-treating sucks where they live. THEY'RE CHILDREN.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the point of the article. It wasn't about actual numbers, women are considered a minority based on social status.
Yeah, I have a minor in women's studies, I think I get social status, patriarchy, and gender dichotomy, but thanks. The POINT is that women are NOT a minority and it's time to stop treating them as if they are. In fact....maybe it's time fir the land of everyone being "equal" to knock it off all together with EVERYONE. But, I realize that concept us anathema to you.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. If you can't enjoy the holiday for what it is, turn off your lights and don't answer the door. No need to pass judgment.

People around here get bitchy when they see a van load of kids get dropped off on the corner to trick-or-treat "They're not neighborhood kids..." Yeah, well, maybe trick-or-treating sucks where they live. THEY'RE CHILDREN.
I was just talking about this yesterday! Community does not always mean your street. Sometimes it means your town, county or state. I would feel better knowing that I was providing a safe environment for children. You never know what act of kindness is going to stick with them.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Judged:

And isn't trick or treating just as much a social activity as it is about the treats? if you're that type of parent that won't let the kids have the candy, make a thing out of donating it to the dentist or groups that take it for the military. or, if that's not your thing, tell the kids taht "they don't like" the stuff that you do (so you can get it) and leave them with the truly crappy stuff that no one really likes.

but let the kids go out...

my dad used to give complete whackadoodle stuff... one year it was dry oatmeal, the next broccoli. my mom drew the line on him after he gave out statistical tables... they were lcuky all he had to do was clean the front lawn of the paper, and not eggs. he was nice, thoguh. he gave the kids the option of the alternative treat or the truly crappy stuff my mom got.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. If you can't enjoy the holiday for what it is, turn off your lights and don't answer the door. No need to pass judgment.
Exactly. What difference does it make??? I am happy to give out candy to whatever kids comes to my house.

We lived in a condo for abotu 6 years and there wasn't any Trick or Treating there, so we went a couple times to my friend's neighborhood (one of the "go to" neighborhoods). She'd have several friends come over for it and it was great! Then, sometimes, we went to my ex's neighbiorhood because my daughter has friends there.

Now we're in a great Halloween neighborhood. So she'll goi around teh ex's 'hood with her friends there then we'll go around our own.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

No way that would fly in the neighborhood I grew up in. Your house would have had a bullseye painted on it for getting "creamed".
Aisle Sitter wrote:
And isn't trick or treating just as much a social activity as it is about the treats? if you're that type of parent that won't let the kids have the candy, make a thing out of donating it to the dentist or groups that take it for the military. or, if that's not your thing, tell the kids taht "they don't like" the stuff that you do (so you can get it) and leave them with the truly crappy stuff that no one really likes.
but let the kids go out...
my dad used to give complete whackadoodle stuff... one year it was dry oatmeal, the next broccoli. my mom drew the line on him after he gave out statistical tables... they were lcuky all he had to do was clean the front lawn of the paper, and not eggs. he was nice, thoguh. he gave the kids the option of the alternative treat or the truly crappy stuff my mom got.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. What difference does it make??? I am happy to give out candy to whatever kids comes to my house.
We lived in a condo for abotu 6 years and there wasn't any Trick or Treating there, so we went a couple times to my friend's neighborhood (one of the "go to" neighborhoods). She'd have several friends come over for it and it was great! Then, sometimes, we went to my ex's neighbiorhood because my daughter has friends there.
Now we're in a great Halloween neighborhood. So she'll goi around teh ex's 'hood with her friends there then we'll go around our own.
Ours is a pretty great neighborhood for trick-or-treating, if I do say so myself. We usually buy 3 Sam's Club sized bags of candy and random toys like vampire fangs and spider rings--those go over better than candy. And then glow stick necklaces. Pain in the ass to put on strings and crack all of them, but kids and parents like those a lot. We used to decorate the house, but little kids get freaked out by that.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ours is a pretty great neighborhood for trick-or-treating, if I do say so myself. We usually buy 3 Sam's Club sized bags of candy and random toys like vampire fangs and spider rings--those go over better than candy. And then glow stick necklaces. Pain in the ass to put on strings and crack all of them, but kids and parents like those a lot. We used to decorate the house, but little kids get freaked out by that.
I like the little toy idea! I may do that next year! This year, I got Cheese doodle balls that look like pumpkins and Halloween shortbread cookies. This way they won't melt in our midsummer heat!

Since: Mar 09

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

I've heard that in the rich area by me, parents of trick-or-treaters are offered wine. Grown up trick-or-treating. I'm tempted to borrow some kids tomorrow night.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

j_m_w wrote:
I've heard that in the rich area by me, parents of trick-or-treaters are offered wine. Grown up trick-or-treating. I'm tempted to borrow some kids tomorrow night.
I'm always amused by parents whining about going trick-or-treating. Or buying kids' fun gifts for Christmas. Those are like the two reasons I'd want to have a kid.
cheluzal

Plant City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

I'm like the commercial for the show "In the Middle"--hiding out, lights off, yelling at the moochers to go away, rofl.

I never give candy. Luckily, no one really comes through my neighborhood. We have a huge snotty neighborhood that the town goes through.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

RACE wrote:
No way that would fly in the neighborhood I grew up in. Your house would have had a bullseye painted on it for getting "creamed".
<quoted text>
i;m really surprised they ahven't gotten egged or TP'ed. for years, my mom gave out pencils, stickers and crap "toys" instead of candy.

i just read a story on teh Chicago Trib website that there hasn't been a case of tampered candy in like 50 years of newspaper research. the only 2 cases reported were for "real" drugs taht people laced in hte candy and gave it to their own kids...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-hallow...

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

Aisle Sitter wrote:
i just read a story on teh Chicago Trib website that there hasn't been a case of tampered candy in like 50 years of newspaper research.
Exactly! "Tampered" candy is always the greatest scare every Halloween. And the fact is: IT'S NEVER HAPPENED!

Last year, small girl came to my door, her helicopter parents stood three feet back, she held out an EMPTY basket. After I put the candy in they started to walk away. Before they even made it to the sidewalk, parents inspected the candy before dropping it into ANOTHER bag!

My theory was they wanted to inspect the candy immediately. If you wait until you get home and inspect it all at once, and find something tampered with, you have no idea where it came from. This way, they know right away!

I was SOOOOO tempted to make some kind of snide remark. If it happens again this year, I think I will....

Oh, and just for Squishy, I'm only handing out treats filled with nuts or peanut butter!!

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly! "Tampered" candy is always the greatest scare every Halloween. And the fact is: IT'S NEVER HAPPENED!

Last year, small girl came to my door, her helicopter parents stood three feet back, she held out an EMPTY basket. After I put the candy in they started to walk away. Before they even made it to the sidewalk, parents inspected the candy before dropping it into ANOTHER bag!

My theory was they wanted to inspect the candy immediately. If you wait until you get home and inspect it all at once, and find something tampered with, you have no idea where it came from. This way, they know right away!

I was SOOOOO tempted to make some kind of snide remark. If it happens again this year, I think I will....

Oh, and just for Squishy, I'm only handing out treats filled with nuts or peanut butter!!
Or maybe she does have allergies and they want to let her enjoy trick or treating, but have to be extra cautious about cross contamination.

Lots if tootsie rolls being given out around here. They are made in a nut -free facility. Good thing I like them :)

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

'Selfies at Funerals' on Tumblr must die
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/30/living/selfies-...

I don't care who she is related to, Lizzie Post is an airhead.

“suffers from formicophilia ”

Braidwood, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe she does have allergies and they want to let her enjoy trick or treating, but have to be extra cautious about cross contamination.
Lots if tootsie rolls being given out around here. They are made in a nut -free facility. Good thing I like them :)
Number one, if your kid has peanut allergies, they don't get to go door to door of random strangers and accept candy. Sorry.

Number two, KIDS HATE GETTING TOOTSIE ROLLS! Who the hell wants to put something in their mouth that looks like a cat turd??! It's almost as bad as getting candy corn!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! "Tampered" candy is always the greatest scare every Halloween. And the fact is: IT'S NEVER HAPPENED!

Yup. Candy tampering is total be.

And that's cool by me. Either I'll eat or the girls can trade since Nunu is not allergic.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

Number two, KIDS HATE GETTING TOOTSIE ROLLS! Who the hell wants to put something in their mouth that looks like a cat turd??! It's almost as bad as getting candy corn!
My kids love tootsie rolls.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 91,641 - 91,660 of96,140
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

37 Users are viewing the Chicago Forum right now

Search the Chicago Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Abby 4-19 6 min Mister Tonka 23
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 8 min OzRitz 43,011
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 14 min killtaker 1,034,226
gay (May '13) 34 min anthony23 10
Music Artists A to Z 35 min _Zoey_ 93
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 37 min _Zoey_ 4,031
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 1 hr RACE 230
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••