“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#93058 Oct 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly! "Tampered" candy is always the greatest scare every Halloween. And the fact is: IT'S NEVER HAPPENED!

Last year, small girl came to my door, her helicopter parents stood three feet back, she held out an EMPTY basket. After I put the candy in they started to walk away. Before they even made it to the sidewalk, parents inspected the candy before dropping it into ANOTHER bag!

My theory was they wanted to inspect the candy immediately. If you wait until you get home and inspect it all at once, and find something tampered with, you have no idea where it came from. This way, they know right away!

I was SOOOOO tempted to make some kind of snide remark. If it happens again this year, I think I will....

Oh, and just for Squishy, I'm only handing out treats filled with nuts or peanut butter!!
Or maybe she does have allergies and they want to let her enjoy trick or treating, but have to be extra cautious about cross contamination.

Lots if tootsie rolls being given out around here. They are made in a nut -free facility. Good thing I like them :)

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#93059 Oct 30, 2013
'Selfies at Funerals' on Tumblr must die
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/30/living/selfies-...

I don't care who she is related to, Lizzie Post is an airhead.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Wilmington, IL

#93060 Oct 30, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe she does have allergies and they want to let her enjoy trick or treating, but have to be extra cautious about cross contamination.
Lots if tootsie rolls being given out around here. They are made in a nut -free facility. Good thing I like them :)
Number one, if your kid has peanut allergies, they don't get to go door to door of random strangers and accept candy. Sorry.

Number two, KIDS HATE GETTING TOOTSIE ROLLS! Who the hell wants to put something in their mouth that looks like a cat turd??! It's almost as bad as getting candy corn!

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#93061 Oct 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly! "Tampered" candy is always the greatest scare every Halloween. And the fact is: IT'S NEVER HAPPENED!

Oh, and just for Squishy, I'm only handing out treats filled with nuts or peanut butter!!
Yup. Candy tampering is total be.

And that's cool by me. Either I'll eat or the girls can trade since Nunu is not allergic.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Evanston IL

#93062 Oct 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>

Number two, KIDS HATE GETTING TOOTSIE ROLLS! Who the hell wants to put something in their mouth that looks like a cat turd??! It's almost as bad as getting candy corn!
My kids love tootsie rolls.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#93063 Oct 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:

Number one, if your kid has peanut allergies, they don't get to go door to door of random strangers and accept candy.
Why not? If the parents are checking to make sure each piece is ok, wtf do you care?
edogxxx wrote:
Number two, KIDS HATE GETTING TOOTSIE ROLLS!
Not if its one of the only candy they can have that won't kill them.

“...,to wit”

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#93064 Oct 30, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
I've heard that in the rich area by me, parents of trick-or-treaters are offered wine. Grown up trick-or-treating. I'm tempted to borrow some kids tomorrow night.
Halloween functions as an end of year for event for parents being outside so it may be the last time you informally see the neighbors before spring. Some people have a thermos of hot cider for te dda's who accompany the little kids

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#93065 Oct 30, 2013
In grade school the teachers usually gave the 3rd grade kids an assignment to sort, count and graph their Halloween candy. It distracts them from eating it.

We live in a good candy area. It was a tradition to have out-of-neighborhood friends over to trick or treat and then have dinner. My traditional Halloween meal is Chicken Cacciatore- really fragrant. Best compliment I ever got was some kid who had just gotten his candy who sniffed and said longingly that my house smelled real good.

Might just do that tomorrow night although the girls are now 27.

“It made sense at the time....”

Des Plaines, IL

#93066 Oct 30, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
I've heard that in the rich area by me, parents of trick-or-treaters are offered wine. Grown up trick-or-treating. I'm tempted to borrow some kids tomorrow night.
a guy i used to work with would do that in his neighborhood. he also liked taking the dog for a walk the night before garbage day; he'd take a beer and leave the empty in someone else's recycle bin.

“reign in blood”

Wilmington, IL

#93067 Oct 31, 2013
Abby

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T7119K1PI3...

Amy

http://www.topix.com/forum/chicago/T8VHDPVINA...

Happy Halloween!

(Hallow is an old word meaning "saint." All Hallows' Day -also known as All Saint's Day- is a holiday to honor the dead saints. The evening before All Hallows' Day was called All Hallow Even, later shortened to Halloween.)

Saint Petersburg, FL

#93068 Oct 31, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
'Selfies at Funerals' on Tumblr must die
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/30/living/selfies-...
I don't care who she is related to, Lizzie Post is an airhead.
My family takes pics of the deceased at family funerals. I have pics of my SIL and my grandma in their coffins. IIRC, my aunt and mom are in some pics with my grandma. They do that to send the pics to relatives in Europe.

But a clueless selfie, I guess, is different because it is... well, a clueless selfie. They are just thinking of themselves.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#93069 Oct 31, 2013
PEllen wrote:
<quoted text>
Halloween functions as an end of year for event for parents being outside so it may be the last time you informally see the neighbors before spring. Some people have a thermos of hot cider for te dda's who accompany the little kids
We're in FL... it's the START of getting to go outside and see the neighbors!!!

:-)

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#93070 Oct 31, 2013
Photos of the dead, like deathmasks of Victorian times were very common....even laying a dead child with, with her living siblings or posed in a parents arms....different cultures.....some are beyond sad.....

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#93071 Oct 31, 2013
Disagree.
If it is done as an act of reverence, love and respect, then it is just your views that see it as sad, and frankly limited.
Go Blue Forever wrote:
....some are beyond sad.....

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#93072 Oct 31, 2013
PEllen wrote:
My traditional Halloween meal is Chicken Cacciatore- really fragrant. Best compliment I ever got was some kid who had just gotten his candy who sniffed and said longingly that my house smelled real good.
Might just do that tomorrow night although the girls are now 27.
Yum! We usually have chili, but that's out this year since we're eating very low carb. I think I have enough odds and ends on hand to do chicken cacciatori in the crock pot.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#93073 Oct 31, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yum! We usually have chili, but that's out this year since we're eating very low carb. I think I have enough odds and ends on hand to do chicken cacciatori in the crock pot.
I haven't tried it in the crockpot- for us its a stove top dish, but that is not a bad idea.

FWIW I use the Joy of Cooking recipe and doctor it up a bit

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93074 Oct 31, 2013
j_m_w wrote:
I know people who give out beer and wine coolers to the parents. And it's not a rich area at all -- just fun people.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#93075 Oct 31, 2013
RACE wrote:
Disagree.
If it is done as an act of reverence, love and respect, then it is just your views that see it as sad, and frankly limited.
<quoted text>
WTF...How could you possibly spin that post into some argument?

Saint Petersburg, FL

#93076 Oct 31, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I know people who give out beer and wine coolers to the parents. And it's not a rich area at all -- just fun people.
LOL - afriend of mine in NJ and I were just e-mailing and he commented that he had to remember to pick up beer for the trick or treating parents tonight. He said a solo cup and a wagon means they want beer.:D

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93077 Oct 31, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL - afriend of mine in NJ and I were just e-mailing and he commented that he had to remember to pick up beer for the trick or treating parents tonight. He said a solo cup and a wagon means they want beer.:D
Awesome! Love it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min fetch almighty 1,111,131
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 3 min Frijoles 69,428
Abby 9-23 14 min edogxxx 5
Amy 9-23-14 17 min edogxxx 7
kya har ladki chahti h ki koi ladka aakr usko t... 29 min HOT Aayush 1
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) 41 min Polish American 4... 4,038
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 50 min litesong 46,852
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr loose cannon 178,231
•••
Chicago Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••