“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#93032 Oct 30, 2013
PEllen wrote:
It looks like it is going to rain and thunderstorm in Chicago for Halloween. Who wants all this !@#$%!! candy that we will be stuck with?
What's the etiquette? Can I give it to a homeless guy downtown?
I'm bringing mine in to work. Or to the bonfire we're going to on Saturday. I feel like we're going to be left with a ton of it.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#93033 Oct 30, 2013
Mister Tonka wrote:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ nfl-shutdown-corner/golden-tat e-apologizes-ridiculous-taunti ng-penalty-seahawks-win-165222 230--nfl.html?vp=1
I think this is great. In the TFL(Tonka Football League), no flag!
Much as i love the Seahawks, Golden Tate and a few others have questionable character.....That taunting penalty was a new low for him....

Toj

“Equality”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93034 Oct 30, 2013
PEllen wrote:
It looks like it is going to rain and thunderstorm in Chicago for Halloween. Who wants all this !@#$%!! candy that we will be stuck with?
What's the etiquette? Can I give it to a homeless guy downtown?
Kids are wimps nowadays. Their costume could be the Morton Salt girl and then they could go and get their candy!

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#93035 Oct 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm bringing mine in to work. Or to the bonfire we're going to on Saturday. I feel like we're going to be left with a ton of it.
I haven't bought any yet. Given the weather, I think I'll pick up a bag of whatever I really like so I have something on hand just in case.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#93036 Oct 30, 2013
RACE wrote:
I wish that cold front would push its way down to here, I am tired of running my AC!
It was getting better here, but it's supposed to be around 86-88 degrees today and tomorrow. My daughter is going to be a sweaty mess in her costume!!!

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#93037 Oct 30, 2013
http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/23823811/...

Uppity woman denies fat kids candy on Halloween. I'm predicting a lot of eggs and toilet paper on her house, and possibly assault charges when she gets punched in the face.

Seriously, I feel bad for fat kids, just like the next person, but they're not my kids.

“...,to wit”

Location hidden

#93038 Oct 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
http://www.valleynewslive.com/ story/23823811/woman-handing-o ut-letters-not-halloween-candy ?clienttype=generic&smartd evicecgbypass
Uppity woman denies fat kids candy on Halloween. I'm predicting a lot of eggs and toilet paper on her house, and possibly assault charges when she gets punched in the face.
Seriously, I feel bad for fat kids, just like the next person, but they're not my kids.
But they said Trick or treat and since they gave her a choice....

Saint Petersburg, FL

#93039 Oct 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
http://www.valleynewslive.com/ story/23823811/woman-handing-o ut-letters-not-halloween-candy ?clienttype=generic&smartd evicecgbypass
I'd be tempted to punch her. And send her the bill for my kid's therapy.

Not allowing a kid to trick or treat and eat some candy ONE DAY A YEAR is not going to change their weight.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#93040 Oct 30, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't bought any yet. Given the weather, I think I'll pick up a bag of whatever I really like so I have something on hand just in case.
i went with a bag of stuff we don't really like so taht the kids will get more nad i won't have it left over. plus, i got laffy taffy, which my DDS says i can't eat, so i shouldn't gain a ton of weight before the holidays...

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#93041 Oct 30, 2013
Weight you can lose. A defective, mean brain like that woman has is for life.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#93042 Oct 30, 2013
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
Kids are wimps nowadays. Their costume could be the Morton Salt girl and then they could go and get their candy!
When I lived in Colorado, it rained every Halloween. I remember going trick or treating with my little brother who was dressed as a Haunted House. His arms stuck out through holes in the cardboard box that made up his costume and he couldn't bring them in. One lady felt so badly for him because his fingertips were getting cold in the rain that she put socks on his hands.

I am hoping that the weather cooperates here tomorrow. 2 years ago we had a snowstorm and last year we still had no power due to Hurricane Sandy.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#93043 Oct 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
I really hope this is a joke.

Toj

“Equality”

Location hidden

#93044 Oct 30, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
When I lived in Colorado, it rained every Halloween. I remember going trick or treating with my little brother who was dressed as a Haunted House. His arms stuck out through holes in the cardboard box that made up his costume and he couldn't bring them in. One lady felt so badly for him because his fingertips were getting cold in the rain that she put socks on his hands.
I am hoping that the weather cooperates here tomorrow. 2 years ago we had a snowstorm and last year we still had no power due to Hurricane Sandy.
Oh, me too. I remember taking my kid around on Halloween in the snow when he was 2. Not fun. On the other hand, one beautiful Halloween I took him when he was 8 or 9 around the neighborhood and I wore rollerblades and I was dressed like a witch. I had a lot of fun that year.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#93045 Oct 30, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd be tempted to punch her. And send her the bill for my kid's therapy.
Not allowing a kid to trick or treat and eat some candy ONE DAY A YEAR is not going to change their weight.
Exactly. If you can't enjoy the holiday for what it is, turn off your lights and don't answer the door. No need to pass judgment.

People around here get bitchy when they see a van load of kids get dropped off on the corner to trick-or-treat "They're not neighborhood kids..." Yeah, well, maybe trick-or-treating sucks where they live. THEY'RE CHILDREN.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#93046 Oct 30, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You missed the point of the article. It wasn't about actual numbers, women are considered a minority based on social status.
Yeah, I have a minor in women's studies, I think I get social status, patriarchy, and gender dichotomy, but thanks. The POINT is that women are NOT a minority and it's time to stop treating them as if they are. In fact....maybe it's time fir the land of everyone being "equal" to knock it off all together with EVERYONE. But, I realize that concept us anathema to you.

“Checks and Balances”

Location hidden

#93047 Oct 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly. If you can't enjoy the holiday for what it is, turn off your lights and don't answer the door. No need to pass judgment.

People around here get bitchy when they see a van load of kids get dropped off on the corner to trick-or-treat "They're not neighborhood kids..." Yeah, well, maybe trick-or-treating sucks where they live. THEY'RE CHILDREN.
I was just talking about this yesterday! Community does not always mean your street. Sometimes it means your town, county or state. I would feel better knowing that I was providing a safe environment for children. You never know what act of kindness is going to stick with them.

“It made sense at the time....”

Since: May 09

Des Plaines, IL

#93048 Oct 30, 2013
And isn't trick or treating just as much a social activity as it is about the treats? if you're that type of parent that won't let the kids have the candy, make a thing out of donating it to the dentist or groups that take it for the military. or, if that's not your thing, tell the kids taht "they don't like" the stuff that you do (so you can get it) and leave them with the truly crappy stuff that no one really likes.

but let the kids go out...

my dad used to give complete whackadoodle stuff... one year it was dry oatmeal, the next broccoli. my mom drew the line on him after he gave out statistical tables... they were lcuky all he had to do was clean the front lawn of the paper, and not eggs. he was nice, thoguh. he gave the kids the option of the alternative treat or the truly crappy stuff my mom got.

Saint Petersburg, FL

#93049 Oct 30, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. If you can't enjoy the holiday for what it is, turn off your lights and don't answer the door. No need to pass judgment.
Exactly. What difference does it make??? I am happy to give out candy to whatever kids comes to my house.

We lived in a condo for abotu 6 years and there wasn't any Trick or Treating there, so we went a couple times to my friend's neighborhood (one of the "go to" neighborhoods). She'd have several friends come over for it and it was great! Then, sometimes, we went to my ex's neighbiorhood because my daughter has friends there.

Now we're in a great Halloween neighborhood. So she'll goi around teh ex's 'hood with her friends there then we'll go around our own.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#93050 Oct 30, 2013
No way that would fly in the neighborhood I grew up in. Your house would have had a bullseye painted on it for getting "creamed".
Aisle Sitter wrote:
And isn't trick or treating just as much a social activity as it is about the treats? if you're that type of parent that won't let the kids have the candy, make a thing out of donating it to the dentist or groups that take it for the military. or, if that's not your thing, tell the kids taht "they don't like" the stuff that you do (so you can get it) and leave them with the truly crappy stuff that no one really likes.
but let the kids go out...
my dad used to give complete whackadoodle stuff... one year it was dry oatmeal, the next broccoli. my mom drew the line on him after he gave out statistical tables... they were lcuky all he had to do was clean the front lawn of the paper, and not eggs. he was nice, thoguh. he gave the kids the option of the alternative treat or the truly crappy stuff my mom got.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#93051 Oct 30, 2013
Stina2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. What difference does it make??? I am happy to give out candy to whatever kids comes to my house.
We lived in a condo for abotu 6 years and there wasn't any Trick or Treating there, so we went a couple times to my friend's neighborhood (one of the "go to" neighborhoods). She'd have several friends come over for it and it was great! Then, sometimes, we went to my ex's neighbiorhood because my daughter has friends there.
Now we're in a great Halloween neighborhood. So she'll goi around teh ex's 'hood with her friends there then we'll go around our own.
Ours is a pretty great neighborhood for trick-or-treating, if I do say so myself. We usually buy 3 Sam's Club sized bags of candy and random toys like vampire fangs and spider rings--those go over better than candy. And then glow stick necklaces. Pain in the ass to put on strings and crack all of them, but kids and parents like those a lot. We used to decorate the house, but little kids get freaked out by that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word (Dec '08) 41 min andet1987 4,726
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 42 min LRS 178,105
Adult Nursing Relationships (May '11) 58 min Handcuff ottoman 137
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr OzRitz 46,741
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMerde 49,882
Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 1 hr JOEL 69,402
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 hr Patriangelily 1,110,245
•••
•••
•••

Chicago Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••