#92987 Oct 29, 2013
Pelly: PM

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Chicago, IL

#92988 Oct 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
NJ now recognizes same sex marriages and plenty of couples have gotten married in the past week. The issue isn't whether every couple is going to get married.
The article you posted says that plenty of heterosexual couples are forgoing traditional marriage, too. They have that right. They can choose to forgo the legal protections that legal marriage provides, as well as avoiding any tax implications and whatever other negative consequences they see to legal marriage. They can take their vows as seriously or as lightly as they want. All homosexual couples have been asking is the right to make those choices, too.
Filthy liberal scum!

Since: Jun 09

Saint Petersburg, FL

#92989 Oct 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
It calmed me down to type that :) I am having a horrible morning with the boys. Sometimes I love that they live in their own worlds and really aren't affected by outside factors (like peer pressure), but I lost it this morning. When they are together they do exactly what they want, regardless of what they have been told to do. I was screamed, I broke down in tears, I took away the tv (literally - it is now in a closet) and 30 seconds later they were laughing and asking if they could go play. I can't let outside pressure affect the way I parent, but I need help. I just don't know where to go.
That was so hard to write.
I am sorry you are having a rough time. I think it's good that you took the TV away, but I'd be banging my head against the wall if they were just back to normal like that!!!

Is there a counselor you can talk to? Sometimes it's good to vent to someone like that and they can offer some outside, detached input. I don't think it'd be pressure to change how you parent, but might give you some different ideas on how to approach things.

I wish I could help!!! Just hang in there!

“Fort Kickass”

Since: Sep 09

Bloomington, IL

#92990 Oct 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
It calmed me down to type that :) I am having a horrible morning with the boys. Sometimes I love that they live in their own worlds and really aren't affected by outside factors (like peer pressure), but I lost it this morning. When they are together they do exactly what they want, regardless of what they have been told to do. I was screamed, I broke down in tears, I took away the tv (literally - it is now in a closet) and 30 seconds later they were laughing and asking if they could go play. I can't let outside pressure affect the way I parent, but I need help. I just don't know where to go.
Oy. No school today? That's got to be hard.:-/

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#92991 Oct 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe get a mother's helper a couple hours a week? I mean, just some HS or college kid to come in when you're home and kind of take over dealing with them for a few hours a couple times a week so you can get some down time?

Inbox me on FB. I have to go right now, but remind me (on FB) again how close you are to Camden.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#92992 Oct 29, 2013
I was not mean for calling the dog ignorant. It was an ignorant statement. Citizens and legal residents are the ONLY ones who can get federal financial aid and there is not preference given because of race. Ergo, his statement (and he) is ignorant. Not mean, just fact.

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#92993 Oct 29, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
Ahem...
"Dear Mimi...we are pleased,... top GPA....blah, blah, blah,....Dean's list."
:-D
More than awesome! You smart woman, you!

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#92994 Oct 29, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>Oy. No school today? That's got to be hard.:-/
The little guy has half day kindergarten from 12:55 until 3 pm. Ry was up early this morning, but I am doing better now that he is at school.

They aren't malicious kids. I really think that Ry needs additional help from a therapist and I need help with how to relate to him. The school and his pediatrician (who sees him for 10 minutes once a year) have dismissed my concerns about his ability to process appropriate social behavior and lack of awareness. He is academically gifted (he is in second grade, but spends half the day taking third grade reading, writing and math and also participates in the Gifted and Talented program), so they keep chalking his behavior up to immaturity. It is more than that and I can't get anyone to listen.

The little guy is more perceptive and just mimics his older brother. I really do love these guys, I just want to make sure that I am doing the best for them. I was not at my best today.

“Checks and Balances”

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#92995 Oct 29, 2013
That was really a response to all three of you who posted. Thank you for the support :)

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#92996 Oct 29, 2013
Mimi Seattle wrote:
I was not mean for calling the dog ignorant. It was an ignorant statement. Citizens and legal residents are the ONLY ones who can get federal financial aid and there is not preference given because of race. Ergo, his statement (and he) is ignorant. Not mean, just fact.
If you truly believe there is no preference based on race, I've got a bridge to sell you.

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#92997 Oct 29, 2013
A wooden spoon works wonders for keeping unruly kids in line.

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#92998 Oct 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
The little guy has half day kindergarten from 12:55 until 3 pm. Ry was up early this morning, but I am doing better now that he is at school.
They aren't malicious kids. I really think that Ry needs additional help from a therapist and I need help with how to relate to him. The school and his pediatrician (who sees him for 10 minutes once a year) have dismissed my concerns about his ability to process appropriate social behavior and lack of awareness. He is academically gifted (he is in second grade, but spends half the day taking third grade reading, writing and math and also participates in the Gifted and Talented program), so they keep chalking his behavior up to immaturity. It is more than that and I can't get anyone to listen.
The little guy is more perceptive and just mimics his older brother. I really do love these guys, I just want to make sure that I am doing the best for them. I was not at my best today.
Yeah, get a counselor involved.

My sister saw one in grade school, alone, a couple times and it did nothing. She said she just lied and told him she was behaving/not having temper tantrums anymore. Occasionally, my mom would threaten us with family counseling. It shouldn't be seen as a bad thing and it's not a punishment. It can change life for the better for everyone.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#92999 Oct 29, 2013
Well, as we have read so many times... You are your kids best advocate, so dont let others poo-poo your concerns.

I liked the advise to get a helper for a couple of hours, If the boys really take to them, then you can use that as a bargaining chip to promote good behavior during the rest of the week.
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>

“Fort Kickass”

Bloomington, IL

#93000 Oct 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
A wooden spoon works wonders for keeping unruly kids in line.
Not if said kid isn't so much concerned with cause and effect. Buuuut, I'm sure you know better than their actual, yanno, mom. ;-P

“reign in blood”

Chicago, IL

#93001 Oct 29, 2013
Matilda77 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if said kid isn't so much concerned with cause and effect. Buuuut, I'm sure you know better than their actual, yanno, mom. ;-P
I might not be a parent, but I was once a kid. Just sayin what what worked on me.

And guys, try to use your head. How do you expect some hs kid to help out during the day? THEY'RE IN SCHOOL!

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#93002 Oct 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
You should take both boys to someone to evaluate them -- not thoroughly but where you can get a good sense and information about direction -- to a private place and not hooked into the school.

Boys are difficult in the second grade to -- well, for a long time b/c boys are immature. BUT you know your boys better than anyone else so I'd seek another opinion.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#93003 Oct 29, 2013
My Jr year I was done @ 2:30 and in my Sr year it was 1:30.
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
I might not be a parent, but I was once a kid. Just sayin what what worked on me.
And guys, try to use your head. How do you expect some hs kid to help out during the day? THEY'RE IN SCHOOL!
Mimi

Tacoma, WA

#93004 Oct 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
If you truly believe there is no preference based on race, I've got a bridge to sell you.
Now....youre just stupid.
Mimi

United States

#93005 Oct 29, 2013
edogxxx wrote:
<quoted text>
No one said during the school hours. That would kind of defeat the point of having someone there while the kids are there because the kids would be in school TOO. Also I said hs OR college.

#readingcomprehension
Mimi

United States

#93006 Oct 29, 2013
ScarletandOlive wrote:
<quoted text>
WGNQSH
First give yourself a break. You're only human. It may be immaturity, BUT you are his mother and if you see it as something more than that Im betting on you. Get him to a child counselor and see what they say. It could be something like ADD, but tread carefully with that because they do tend to jump to that first and want go medicate....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 2 min Guru 189,769
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min scirocco 1,232,322
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 53,482
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 11 hr Net Workit 5,994
Amy 5-23 20 hr mrs gladys kravitz 3
Abby 5-23 20 hr mrs gladys kravitz 2
News AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) 21 hr RICO 7,567
More from around the web

Chicago People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]